• Roberts Rules about elections

From "Hanky Robert" @21:1/5 to All on Thu Nov 3 13:41:47 2016
    Our 501c3 organization held an online election and then announced the winners without any listing the number of votes. I asked for the number of votes each one got, and they sent me the percentage breakdown in each race. I then specifically asked again
    for the actual number of votes each one got, and they said they don't give out that kind of info.

I found this in Roberts Rules of Order. Anyone know if this would apply to on online election?

http://www.rulesonline.com/rror-08.htm#46

Roberts Rules, Article VIII. 46. Voting

"The names of the candidates should be arranged in order, the one receiving the highest number of legal votes being first. In reporting the number of votes cast and the number necessary for election, all votes except blanks must be counted. Suppose the
    tellers find 100 ballot papers, 4 of which are blank. 1 contains two filled-out ones folded together, and 50 are cast for a person who is ineligible because of having held the office as long as permitted by the constitution: the tellers' report should be
    in this form:

"Number of votes cast...................... 96
    Necessary for election.................... 49
    Mr. A received............................ 37
    Mr. B received............................. 8

"Illegal Votes.

"Mr. C (ineligible) received............... 50
    One ballot containing two for Mr. D, folded together, rejected as fraudulent........ 1

"The teller first named, standing, addresses the chair, reads the report and hands it to the chairman, and takes his seat, without saying who is elected. The chairman again reads the report of the tellers and declares who is elected."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From David E. Ross@21:1/5 to Hanky Robert on Thu Nov 3 19:32:51 2016
    On 11/3/2016 1:41 PM, Hanky Robert wrote:
    Our 501c3 organization held an online election and then announced the winners without any listing the number of votes. I asked for the number of votes each one got, and they sent me the percentage breakdown in each race. I then specifically asked
    again for the actual number of votes each one got, and they said they don't give out that kind of info.

I found this in Roberts Rules of Order. Anyone know if this would apply to on online election?

http://www.rulesonline.com/rror-08.htm#46

Roberts Rules, Article VIII. 46. Voting

"The names of the candidates should be arranged in order, the one receiving the highest number of legal votes being first. In reporting the number of votes cast and the number necessary for election, all votes except blanks must be counted. Suppose the
    tellers find 100 ballot papers, 4 of which are blank. 1 contains two filled-out ones folded together, and 50 are cast for a person who is ineligible because of having held the office as long as permitted by the constitution: the tellers' report should be
    in this form:

"Number of votes cast...................... 96
    Necessary for election.................... 49
    Mr. A received............................ 37
    Mr. B received............................. 8

"Illegal Votes.

"Mr. C (ineligible) received............... 50
    One ballot containing two for Mr. D, folded together, rejected as fraudulent........ 1

"The teller first named, standing, addresses the chair, reads the report and hands it to the chairman, and takes his seat, without saying who is elected. The chairman again reads the report of the tellers and declares who is elected."

Robert's Rules can be overridden by the bylaws or corporate charter of
    the organization. Also, state laws might also dictate something
    different from Robert's Rules.

--
    David E. Ross

Donald Trump claims everyone likes him. Does that
    include his ex-wives? How about the students who
    discovered that their education at Trump University
    was worthless? And how about the contractors,
    suppliers, and employees he stiffed in his several
    bankruptcies?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Adam H. Kerman@21:1/5 to Robert@larry-is-a-sap.edu on Fri Nov 4 02:46:19 2016
    Hanky Robert <Hanky. Robert@larry-is-a-sap.edu> wrote:

Our 501c3 organization held an online election and then announced the
    winners without any listing the number of votes. I asked for the number
    of votes each one got, and they sent me the percentage breakdown in each >race. I then specifically asked again for the actual number of votes
    each one got, and they said they don't give out that kind of info. . . .

Write to the Secretary of the organization, actual letter sent by postal mail. Ask for exactly what you want. Be polite.

I assume you're a voting member. Therefore, you're entitled to this information.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hanky Robert@21:1/5 to Adam H. Kerman on Tue Dec 13 17:29:29 2016
    "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com> wrote in message news:nvgspr$v2t$1@news.albasani.net...
    Hanky Robert <Hanky. Robert@larry-is-a-sap.edu> wrote:

Our 501c3 organization held an online election and then announced the >winners without any listing the number of votes. I asked for the number
    of votes each one got, and they sent me the percentage breakdown in each >race. I then specifically asked again for the actual number of votes
    each one got, and they said they don't give out that kind of info. . . .

Write to the Secretary of the organization, actual letter sent by postal mail.
    Ask for exactly what you want. Be polite.

I assume you're a voting member. Therefore, you're entitled to this information.

Belated thanks Bob & Adam. I am a voting member and will write to the secretary. Will let you know how it turns out. I'm sure they will take their time replying - will have to go through various committee meetings I'm sure first.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05