• "The Lost Boys: The History of Eunuchs in China (1/2)"

From gggg gggg@21:1/5 to All on Sat Oct 15 22:00:34 2022
    (2022 Youtube upload)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Peter Jason@21:1/5 to All on Mon Oct 17 07:16:51 2022
    Given the exploding population there (ants elsewhere) this lopping
    practice might be recalled and enhanced.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gggg gggg@21:1/5 to Peter Jason on Wed Oct 19 17:34:32 2022
    On Sunday, October 16, 2022 at 1:16:54 PM UTC-7, Peter Jason wrote:

(Recent article on China's demographics):

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2022-08-14/niall-ferguson-demographics-are-a-us-headache-but-nightmare-for-china?leadSource=uverify%20wall

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gggg gggg@21:1/5 to Peter Jason on Wed Oct 19 17:45:25 2022
    On Sunday, October 16, 2022 at 1:16:54 PM UTC-7, Peter Jason wrote:

How would you like to be an imperial eunuch when the Emperor was in a bad mood?:

- However, eunuchs as the Emperor's slaves had no rights and could be abused at the Emperor's whim. The Emperor Puyi recalled in his memoirs of growing up in the Forbidden City that: "By the age of 11, flogging eunuchs was part of my daily routine. My
    cruelty and love of power were already too firmly set for persuasion to have any effect on me... Whenever I was in a bad temper the eunuchs would be in for trouble..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eunuchs_in_China#Qing_dynasty

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From William Hyde@21:1/5 to gggg gggg on Thu Oct 20 12:43:08 2022
    On Sunday, October 16, 2022 at 1:00:35 AM UTC-4, gggg gggg wrote:
    (2022 Youtube upload)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From William Hyde@21:1/5 to gggg gggg on Thu Oct 20 13:06:58 2022
    (2022 Youtube upload)

Long ago (so be suspicious) I read that in its last centuries, the Byzantine Empire had many
    degrees of eunuchs (eunuchery?) whose condition ranged from the purely symbolic to the
    removal of external genitalia.

There was a firm conviction that a eunuch could never be emperor or a commander (though Narses was an exception to that rule). Hence an emperor could trust
    a eunuch with power that he might be reluctant to hand over to a possible rival.

Ambitious types wanted the power that eunuchs had, but were naturally reluctant to pay the price. So ways were found to avoid the penalty but still gain the benefits, or at least some of them.

I've no idea as to the validity, but in an historical novel I once read the ceremony for the
    lowest level of eunuch involved tapping lightly on the testicles with a silver hammer.
    this status opened the door to some government jobs. Seems plausible to me but as I say, I've no good source for that.

William Hyde

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gggg gggg@21:1/5 to William Hyde on Thu Oct 20 13:55:07 2022
    On Thursday, October 20, 2022 at 1:06:59 PM UTC-7, William Hyde wrote:
    (2022 Youtube upload)

Long ago (so be suspicious) I read that in its last centuries, the Byzantine Empire had many
    degrees of eunuchs (eunuchery?) whose condition ranged from the purely symbolic to the
    removal of external genitalia.

There was a firm conviction that a eunuch could never be emperor or a commander
    (though Narses was an exception to that rule). Hence an emperor could trust
    a eunuch with power that he might be reluctant to hand over to a possible rival.

Ambitious types wanted the power that eunuchs had, but were naturally reluctant
    to pay the price. So ways were found to avoid the penalty but still gain the benefits, or at least some of them.

I've no idea as to the validity, but in an historical novel I once read the ceremony for the
    lowest level of eunuch involved tapping lightly on the testicles with a silver hammer...

Maxwell's silver hammer............................restrained?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gggg gggg@21:1/5 to All on Wed Aug 30 11:58:24 2023
    On Saturday, October 15, 2022 at 10:00:35 PM UTC-7, wrote:
    (2022 Youtube upload)

According to Chatbot BARD:

The last man to be castrated in China was in 1912, when the practice was outlawed by the Republic of China. Eunuchs were traditionally employed in the imperial palace and other government offices, and they were often trusted with positions of power and
    responsibility. However, the practice of castration was seen as cruel and barbaric by many people, and it was eventually abolished.

There are a few reports of eunuchs being castrated after 1912, but these cases are rare. In most cases, the practice had died out by the early 20th century.

The practice of castration has a long and complex history in China. It is believed to have originated in the Shang dynasty (1600-1046 BCE), and it was practiced for centuries by the imperial court. Eunuchs were seen as being less likely to be corrupted
    by power, and they were often given positions of trust. However, the practice was also seen as cruel and barbaric, and it was eventually abolished.

The abolition of castration in China was a major step forward for human rights. It showed that the Chinese government was committed to ending the practice of cruelty and barbarity. The abolition of castration also had a significant impact on the lives of
    eunuchs. Many eunuchs were forced to leave their jobs and find new ways to make a living. However, some eunuchs were able to find new opportunities and make a positive contribution to society.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05