• BAVARIAN SURNAME LIST (long)

From mathew rost@21:1/5 to ckrus...@gmail.com on Tue Dec 22 10:14:52 2020
    On Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 3:57:40 AM UTC-6, ckrus...@gmail.com wrote:
    I am looking for information on the name Schwagerl and Vogel please

i am looking for information on my surname rost and where it came from. some have told me franconia, some have told me touring is. i just would like a confirmation on this. thank you.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From mathew rost@21:1/5 to mathew rost on Tue Dec 22 10:16:29 2020
    On Tuesday, December 22, 2020 at 11:14:53 AM UTC-7, mathew rost wrote:
    i am looking for information on my surname rost and where it came from. some have told me franconia, some have told me thuringia. i just would like a confirmation on this. thank you.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Rooted Word@21:1/5 to mathew rost on Sat Jan 21 13:55:58 2023
    On Tuesday, December 22, 2020 at 8:16:30 PM UTC+2, mathew rost wrote:
    On Tuesday, December 22, 2020 at 11:14:53 AM UTC-7, mathew rost wrote:
    i am looking for information on my surname rost and where it came from. some have told me franconia, some have told me thuringia. i just would like a confirmation on this. thank you.
    ROST

Some characteristic forenames: German Detlef, Manfred, Arno, Eldor, Heinrich, Heinz, Klaus, Kurt, Mathias, Otto, Ralf, Reinhart.
    German: nickname for a red-haired man, from Middle High German rost ‘rust’. German: metonymic occupational name for a limeburner or blacksmith, from Middle High German, Middle Low German rōst ‘grate, grill’ or Middle High German rōst(e) ‘fire, embers, pyre, grate’ (typically one for burning lime).
    Jewish (eastern Ashkenazic): from German Rost ‘rust’, also ‘grill, grating’ (compare 1 and 2 above), mainly one of names distributed at random by Austrian clerks.
    Norwegian (Røst): habitational name from the farm name Røst, from rust ‘small wood, grove’.
    English (Kent): variant of Rust .
    Source: Dictionary of American Family Names 2nd edition, 2022

FROM ANOTHER SOURCE:
    Rost History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
    Origins Available: Belgium Belgium

Early Origins of the Rost family
    The surname Rost was first found in Belgium, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in Brabant, an ancient
    duchy from 1190 onward. Within the province Brussels and Louvain are the major cities and the smaller Clabecq, Tubize and Wavre towns. Other towns include Vilvorde, Tirlemont and Hal. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and
    were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into a most influential family.

Rost Spelling Variations
    Spelling variations of this family name include: Rost, Rosst, Rostt, Roste, Rostte, Rosste, Rostes, Rosttes and many more.

Rost Ranking
    In the United States, the name Rost is the 8,437th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name.

United States Rost migration to the United States
    Some of the first settlers of this family name were:

Rost Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
    Andreas Rost, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1750 [2]
    Balthaser Rost, who settled in Philadelphia in 1754
    Uulrich Rost, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1754 [2]
    Erhard Rost, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1761 [2]
    Mathias Rost, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1765 [2]

Rost Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
    Joseph Emile Rost, who landed in Louisiana in 1833 [2]
    George Rost, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1844 [2]
    Gottlieb Rost, aged 25, who landed in New York in 1849 [2]
    Gottfried Rost, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1850 [2]
    Eduard Rost, who arrived in New York, NY in 1850 [2]

Canada Rost migration to Canada
    Some of the first settlers of this family name were:

Rost Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
    Conrad Rost, who landed in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1751

Contemporary Notables of the name Rost (post 1700) +
    Markus Rost, German mathematician who works at the intersection of topology and algebra who developed the Rost invariant, fellow of the American Mathematical Society
    Peter Rost (1951-1980), German gold medalist Team handball player at the 1980 Olympics
    Peter Rost M.D. (b. 1959), Swedish former vice president at the pharmaceutical company Pfizer
    Klaus Rost (1940-1964), German silver medalist wrestler at the 1964 Summer Olympics
    Timo Rost (b. 1978), German former footballer
    Frank Rost (b. 1973), retired German footballer
    Clayton O. Rost, American Democratic Party politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 1960

Historic Events for the Rost family
    Bismarck
    Richard Rost (1922-1941), German Matrose II who served aboard the German Battleship Bismarck during World War II when it was sunk heading to France; he died in the sinking
    Helmut Rost (1918-1941), German Matrosengefreiter who served aboard the German Battleship Bismarck during World War II when it was sunk heading to France; he died in the sinking
    Hans Rost (1916-1941), German Obermaschinenmaat who served aboard the German Battleship Bismarck during World War II when it was sunk heading to France; he died in the sinking

Source: https://www.houseofnames.com/rost-family-crest
    I hope this helps.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05