• What does Schaaf mean ?

From Paul Schaaf@21:1/5 to Steve Schaaf on Wed Jan 8 19:52:06 2020
    On Friday, August 16, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Steve Schaaf wrote:
    Schaaf ???

My understanding is that both the Dutch and German translations are correct.
    I have traced my family line back to Germany.
    Johannes (Johann) Schaaf, Paternal Great x2 Grandfather (Katharina nee Groeb, Paternal Great x2 Grandmother) – Wagon Maker in Upper Gleen, Hessen-Darmstadt, Germany.
    There is a city in Germany named Schaafheim, which is in the Hessen area, but have not gotten any direct connection.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Martin =?UTF-8?Q?=CE=A4rautmann?=@21:1/5 to Paul Schaaf on Thu Jan 9 08:45:09 2020
    On Wed, 8 Jan 2020 19:52:06 -0800 (PST), Paul Schaaf wrote:
    On Friday, August 16, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Steve Schaaf wrote:
    Schaaf ???

My understanding is that both the Dutch and German translations are correct. I have traced my family line back to Germany.
    Johannes (Johann) Schaaf, Paternal Great x2 Grandfather (Katharina nee Groeb, Paternal Great x2 Grandmother) – Wagon Maker in Upper Gleen, Hessen-Darmstadt, Germany.
    There is a city in Germany named Schaafheim, which is in the Hessen area, but have not gotten any direct connection.

Do you want to brake a record for the longest lasting thread?

1996 'til 2020, wow.

But since you did not give any answer: Schaaf may be from "mit den
    Schafen" (with the sheep) - which is the profession of a shepherd.

Did you google for
    http://wiki-de.genealogy.net/Schaaf_(Familienname)

There are many famous people with this name: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schaaf

If you do ignore the double aa and use the German spelling Schaf
    instead, you will find many more places. One of the more famous is e.g. Schaffhausen - the houses with the sheep, maybe.

But "schaffen" also does mean "to work".

HTH
    Martin

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)