• Canci Chauncey Chancy

From jmallie@msn.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 16 05:31:21 2021
    Comments or corrections are appreciated. The primary sources I used were Keates-Rohan, Doomesday People and Doomesday Descendants; Clay and Greenway, Yorkshire Families; Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry and British History Online.

I am trying to wrap up and document my files on Rev. Charles Chauncey's ancestry. I have a few points where I have some doubts: 1) the link between the Chaunceys and Odo the Arbalistarius; 2) Understanding why the doubt about Robert Chauncey's wife
    being a Scrope; 3) At generation 8 of the Yorkshire line, I speculate Thomas II was first succeeded by a son Walter who was in turn succeeded by his brother William; and 4) What is the line between Simon I generation 3 of the Lancashire line and Isabel
    daughter of Philip de Chauncey wife of Thomas I de Chauncey generation 6 of the Yorkshire line.

Doomesday Link to Odo
    Sanders' analysis of Skirpenbeck is that Odo the Crossbowman was Domesday lord, but by 1118, his lands in Yorkshire and Lincolnshire passed to Amfrey I de Chauncey (hereinafter “Ansfrid I de Chauncey”) (d. 1128). Ansfrid I's son, Walter (d. 1130)
    succeeded leaving sons Alfred, Amfrey II (hereinafter Ansfrid II), and Simon I. Alfred died without issue c.1164, with Odo’s lands being divided between his two brothers, Ansfrid II and Simon I. The Ansfrid II branch continued in the male line through
    at least 1343. The Simon I line ended with Gerard (d. 1322), whose daughter Isabel took her half of Skirbenbeck to her husband, George de Mountboucher (d. 1349). Keates-Rohan seems aligned with minor differences in dates. Keates-Rohan makes Ansfrid the
    son of Alfred and a daughter of Odo. Yorkshire Families suggests Alfred’s wife was a sister of Odo.

1. Alfred I de Canci m. daughter or sister of Odo Arbalister. Alfred’s sons inherited Odo’s lands by c. 1115.

2. Sir Walter Chauncy (d. 1130), son and eventual heir of Alfred, m. Alice daughter of William FitzHelto.

Two of Walter’s five sons by Alice appear to have had issue. When the eldest son Alfred II died without issue c. 1164, his brothers Ansfrid and Simon divided the Barony of Skipenbeck. Ansfrid took the five Yorkshire tenancies in chief and Simon took
    the five Lancashire tenancies in chief. Rev. Charles Chauncey appears to descend from both branches. They are discussed separately below.

The Yorkshire Branch
    3. Ansfrid II Chauncy (d. 1192) m. Matilda, Ansfrid II's eldest son and heir Walter II (minor in 1194 - died 1228). Walter II’s guardian was Hugh Murdac, who married Walter II to Maud Murdac. When Walter died without issue his brother Roger was
    his heir.

4. Sir Roger Chauncy of Skirpenbeck (d. 1238), son and heir Robert.

5. Sir Robert Chauncy of Skirpenbeck (d 1246) m. Margaret Scrope.
    In 1242-43 Robert held five in chief Knights fees in Yorkshire: Skirpenbeck, Bugthorpe, Fridaythorpe, Youlthorpe, and Swaythorpe. Robert’s IPM mentions Skirpenbeck and Thoralby. When he died in 1246, dower was still held by his mother and his aunt (
    widow of his uncle Walter II). His heir was his not quite two-year-old son Thomas.

6. Sir Thomas I Chauncy (c 1244 -) of Skirpenbeck m. Isabel Chauncy daughter of Sir Philip Chauncy of the Lancashire Branch. See below.
    Thomas proved his age, then 23 in 1268. Thomas, described as Baron Skirpenbeck, died in 1309, leaving his son William age 30 as heir.

7. Sir William Chauncy (c 1279 - 1343) of Skirpenbeck. William’s son and heir was Thomas II age 30 and more.

8. Sir Thomas II Chauncy (c.1312-1382) of Skirpenbeck and Thoralby, Yorkshire. It appears his eldest son and heir Walter held Skirpenbeck in 1382. It appears Walter died by 1392, when his brother William held Skirpenbeck.

From generation 9-16 I follow Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry:

9. Sir William Chauncy (c. 1342- ) m. Joan Bigod. Baron of Skirpenbeck by 1392. It appears he sold Skirpenbeck.
    10. John Chauncy
    11. John Chauncy
    12. John Chauncy
    13. John Chauncy
    14. Henry Chauncy
    15. George Chauncy
    16. Charles Chauncey

Lancashire Branch too many generations?
    3. Simon I de Chauncey (d c 1168) m. Helewis Flandrensis (b c 1135 – aft 1185) of Swinhope.

4. Simon II de Chauncey (- aft 1185) Keates-Rohan states his grandson and heir Simon III de Chauncey died after 1224 without issue, and his brother Philip I de Chauncey was his heir. Five fees held by Simon I or II in 1166 were held by Ingeraldus
    FitzSimon in 1211-12.

5. Philip I (d 1263) m. Lucy. Is this Isabel's father?

6, William (b 1238 - )

6. Philip II de Chauncey (d. by 1307) m Isabel de Marsey

7.1 Isabel de Chauncey m Thomas I de Chauncey of Yorkshire branch. Correct generation?
    7.2 Gerald de Chauncey

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)