• Confirm Anne Couvent as Gateway Ancestor to Henry III?

From Del Rock@21:1/5 to All on Thu Aug 26 17:29:34 2021
    On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 8:30:15 AM UTC-4, Girl57 wrote:
    On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 1:26:31 AM UTC-4, Denis Beauregard wrote:
    On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 18:41:38 -0700 (PDT), Paulo Ricardo Canedo <paulorica...@gmail.com> wrote in soc.genealogy.medieval:
    sábado, 10 de Outubro de 2020 às 21:25:09 UTC+1, Girl57 escreveu:
    On Saturday, October 10, 2020 at 3:53:16 PM UTC-4, wjhonson wrote:
    I reviewed the entry in the Drouin Collection and realize when I blow it up very large that it says he was buried "soisante et dix ans"

You are free to review it yourself on Ancestry where they have the actual photo image.

I do not see any marriage record nor contract.
    Who was the notary?
    All, Look forward to hearing from Denis about Mathieu marriage contract naming his parents.

Re: other possible glitch, would like to hear more about "alleged"/in doubt connection in the line. Is it the uncertainty that Francois de Joyeuse was the son of Robert de Joyeuse and Marguerite de Barbancon? Paulorica mentioned that there's
    enough evidence, even though Francois doesn't appear in his parents'
    will/wills...because he was disinherited after marrying a woman of lower social status (was this Nicole de Beauvais)? Paulorica, would like to know where these details can be found.

Wouldn't authors Gagne and Kokanosky [in article linked to below] probably have considered this known issue, cited it, and supported existing evidence, or offer new? I don't read nearly enough French to glean relevant details from article (if
    someone here does...LOL). Also interesting to note that authors have said (can't
    remember where I read it) that findings of noble connections of Anne Couvent were incidental to their project...The intent was primarily to illuminate French roots of our French Canadian ancestors (i.e., they weren't reaching to try to prove a royal
    connection).

Thank you again for taking the time -- really appreciate. This would be, if it's sound, a great line to have...I'll take it! And if it isn't, still a very interesting read. Jinny

According to the Geni summary, François's wife of much lower social status was not Nicole de Beauvais, it was an unknown first wife.
    The royal lineage is by François and not his wife, so this is not
    very relevant with that purpose.

As for the 1st and 2nd wives, this is discussed in the article, using
    a notary record made in 1733 by a descendant of that lineage and based
    in records available at that time. Some were destroyed during WW 1.

Denis

P.S. I wouldn't rely on Geni for any thing unusual...
    --
    Denis Beauregard - généalogiste émérite (FQSG)
    Les Français d'Amérique du Nord - http://www.francogene.com/gfan/gfan/998/
    French in North America before 1722 - http://www.francogene.com/gfna/gfna/998/
    Sur cédérom/DVD/USB à 1790 - On CD-ROM/DVD/USB to 1790
    Denis, Once again, thank you for the helpful info. Since hard for me to read Gagne/K article, great that you can point out important bits that I missed or haven't reached yet, including 1733 notary record. Also helpful to know relative reliability of
    sites. Paulo, thanks for note about wives...I do want to make sure my data are correct. Pardon the genealogical pun, but getting it right is never a "straight line," is it? Will be back with more questions, I'm sure.

I am asking the EXACT same question that you did... how are we to believe the 1733 notarial record is true if it is just the words of one person about their own connection? I just would like to know if that's all there is because to me it isn't
    completely solid.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From JPD@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jan 21 15:21:08 2023
    I would like to point out that Gagné and Kokanosky's French article has been translated into English, see the following for details: http://habitant.org/longueval/index.htm

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Darrell E. Larocque@21:1/5 to JPD on Sat Jan 21 16:03:42 2023
    On Saturday, January 21, 2023 at 6:21:09 PM UTC-5, JPD wrote:
    I would like to point out that Gagné and Kokanosky's French article has been translated into English, see the following for details: http://habitant.org/longueval/index.htm

While this is a great thing having the research translated into English, it still doesn't address the dearth of proof connecting the de Joyeuse line. I am unconvinced that this connection is based upon one man declaring in a notarial act that he is a
    descendant of a disowned son Francois, son of Robert de Joyeuse.

Darrell

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jinny Wallerstedt/Girl 57@21:1/5 to JPD on Sat Jan 28 16:59:59 2023

Darrell: I can't read French, don't yet have a copy of the English translation of the Gagne article,
    and haven't seen the 1733 notarial record. I'm curious in what context the party to the record cites
    his descendant relationship to Francois de Joyeuse...who this party was, and why he mentioned it. The
    answers to these questions wouldn't address a possible lack of other evidence, but they might shed some light
    on, and lend credibility to, what's there.

I'm still having trouble thinking that Gagne and his co-author -- who it
    seems did extensive and careful work (and with no primary intention to connect to royalty) --
    would have a line they'd discovered goes back to noble and royal ancestors dependent on a single piece of
    non-contemporary evidence. I'm new at this (and my terminology may be wrong)...is this naive? And while errors
    of course happen a lot, wouldn't this be a significant omission?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From taf@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jan 28 18:34:20 2023
    On Saturday, January 28, 2023 at 5:00:01 PM UTC-8, Jinny Wallerstedt/Girl 57 wrote:

I'm still having trouble thinking that Gagne and his co-author -- who it seems did extensive and careful work (and with no primary intention to connect to royalty) --
    would have a line they'd discovered goes back to noble and royal ancestors dependent on a single piece of
    non-contemporary evidence. I'm new at this (and my terminology may be wrong)...is this naive? And while errors

I can't address the specific case, but in general most genealogists, and scholars in general, experience an unconscious bias - if their discovery is mundane, it isn't interesting enough to use anything but the most stringent standards, but if it is
    something exotic, like a royal line, one tends to _want_ it to be true and as a result, to use progressively more relaxed standards of evidence the more they embrace the possibility. Rather than 'extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence',
    anything even hinting at the desired connection tends to have its probative value exaggerated.

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jinny Wallerstedt/Girl 57@21:1/5 to taf on Sun Jan 29 08:29:52 2023
    On Saturday, January 28, 2023 at 9:34:22 PM UTC-5, taf wrote:
    On Saturday, January 28, 2023 at 5:00:01 PM UTC-8, Jinny Wallerstedt/Girl 57 wrote:

I'm still having trouble thinking that Gagne and his co-author -- who it seems did extensive and careful work (and with no primary intention to connect to royalty) --
    I can't address the specific case, but in general most genealogists, and scholars in general, experience an unconscious bias - if their discovery is mundane, it isn't interesting enough to use anything but the most stringent standards, but if it is
    something exotic, like a royal line, one tends to _want_ it to be true and as a result, to use progressively more relaxed standards of evidence the more they embrace the possibility. Rather than 'extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence',
    anything even hinting at the desired connection tends to have its probative value exaggerated.

taf
    taf, Good learning here for me.

With the Anne Couvent line, I'd assumed that a spot of possibly slim evidence would have been
    flagged awhile back. Not reading French and without much experience, it's hard to
    evaluate the picture and others' different points of view about it.

I'd love this to be true...Eleanor of Aquitaine as an ancestor would be like winning the genealogical lottery
    (even if one's line is through King John), wouldn't it? It hadn't occurred to me that such a line might
    emerge through my fascinating-in-their-own right French Canadian ancestors.

Re: other cases, when new to this -- and probably even when experienced -- it's tricky knowing when
    what appears to be a growing body of indirect/circumstantial evidence adds up to "very likely."
    And as you pointed out months ago, both intensive work and reasonable distance/detachment
    play their roles.

I always value your input, taf. Thank you.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From taf@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jan 29 10:52:26 2023
    On Sunday, January 29, 2023 at 8:29:54 AM UTC-8, Jinny Wallerstedt/Girl 57 wrote:

Re: other cases, when new to this -- and probably even when experienced -- it's tricky knowing when
    what appears to be a growing body of indirect/circumstantial evidence adds up to "very likely."

Yes, and each researcher has their own personal standards of evidentiary sufficiency, for when enough is enough. It can also change over time for the same researcher. A long-term 'possibility' tends to drift into 'likelihood' as time passes and no better
    evidence presents itself. The opposite can also happen. I have been reasonably satisfied with a connection as sufficiently documented, but retained niggling concerns that over time came to overwhelm my comfort until I downgraded it in mind. One just has
    to develop instincts, learn from past incorrect calls.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Denis Beauregard@21:1/5 to jinnology@gmail.com on Sun Jan 29 17:07:56 2023
    On Sat, 28 Jan 2023 16:59:59 -0800 (PST), "Jinny Wallerstedt/Girl 57" <jinnology@gmail.com> wrote in soc.genealogy.medieval:

Darrell: I can't read French, don't yet have a copy of the English translation of the Gagne article,
    and haven't seen the 1733 notarial record. I'm curious in what context the party to the record cites
    his descendant relationship to Francois de Joyeuse...who this party was, and why he mentioned it. The
    answers to these questions wouldn't address a possible lack of other evidence, but they might shed some light
    on, and lend credibility to, what's there.

I'm still having trouble thinking that Gagne and his co-author -- who it >seems did extensive and careful work (and with no primary intention to connect to royalty) --

Rolland Yves Gagné made a lot of research in French archives,
    decoding old notary papers, for many families. In some cases,
    he found 2 or 3 or more unexpected generations in France. In
    other cases, a Royal connection was expected, in some cases
    because someone else published a link to royalty that was
    proven to be wrong (Catherine de Baillon is an example).

You should read the article before commenting it.

By the way, I met Gagné first in a library years ago, and recently
    in a genealogy meeting in Montréal where I met him many times.

Denis

--
    Denis Beauregard - généalogiste émérite (FQSG)
    Les Français d'Amérique du Nord - http://www.francogene.com/gfan/gfan/998/ French in North America before 1722 - http://www.francogene.com/gfna/gfna/998/ Sur cédérom/DVD/USB à 1790 - On CD-ROM/DVD/USB to 1790

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hans Vogels@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jan 29 22:59:46 2023
    Op zondag 29 januari 2023 om 17:29:54 UTC+1 schreef Jinny Wallerstedt/Girl 57:

taf

With the Anne Couvent line, I'd assumed that a spot of possibly slim evidence would have been
    flagged awhile back. Not reading French and without much experience, it's hard to

I'd love this to be true...Eleanor of Aquitaine as an ancestor would be like winning the genealogical lottery
    (even if one's line is through King John), wouldn't it? It hadn't occurred to me that such a line might

And as you pointed out months ago, both intensive work and reasonable distance/detachment
    play their roles.

There are more people looking at Eleanor of Aquitane as an ancestor.
    A Dutch reseacher traced/is investigating her descent through a blog dealing one generation at the time.
    https://www.dutchgenealogy.nl/?s=Was+Eleanor+of+Aquitaine+my+Ancestor%3F

Hans Vogels

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jinny Wallerstedt/Girl 57@21:1/5 to hansvog...@gmail.com on Mon Jan 30 06:28:23 2023
    On Monday, January 30, 2023 at 1:59:48 AM UTC-5, hansvog...@gmail.com wrote:

seems did extensive and careful work (and with no primary intention to connect to royalty) --

taf

play their roles.

A Dutch reseacher traced/is investigating her descent through a blog dealing one generation at the time.

Hans Vogels
    Hans, thank you so much for this...I'm eager to read it. And I'm relieved that it's in English.

Fortunately, I've just found my copy of the Gagne article in French and will go through parts of it
    with Google translator to try to clarify some details about the notarial record and will report back.
    I never asked Darrell if his question about the evidence arose with not having read the piece, or
    after reading it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Darrell E. Larocque@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jan 31 12:40:58 2023
    On Monday, January 30, 2023 at 9:28:25 AM UTC-5, Jinny Wallerstedt/Girl 57 wrote:

I can't address the specific case, but in general most genealogists, and scholars in general, experience an unconscious bias - if their discovery is mundane, it isn't interesting enough to use anything but the most stringent standards, but if it
    is something exotic, like a royal line, one tends to _want_ it to be true and as a result, to use progressively more relaxed standards of evidence the more they embrace the possibility. Rather than 'extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence',

taf

play their roles.

Hans Vogels
    Hans, thank you so much for this...I'm eager to read it. And I'm relieved that it's in English.

Fortunately, I've just found my copy of the Gagne article in French and will go through parts of it
    with Google translator to try to clarify some details about the notarial record and will report back.
    I never asked Darrell if his question about the evidence arose with not having read the piece, or
    after reading it.

I have read it as I asked about the English translation a few months ago and found it thanks to someone pointing me to it- the source translated to English presented here, matter of fact!

I use the Foundation for Medieval Genealogy's full explanation of the concerns regarding the de Joyeuse line because it is so very detailed and easy to understand.

As taf has said, I have developed a wary eye when it comes to something this substantial. I have been burned several times in the past which have led to this attitude- the delisting of Jabez Warren as a Mayflower ancestor, the delisting of Elizabeth (
    Bullock) Clement as a Gateway ancestor, glaring inaccuracies in Morrill Kindred in America and absolute fabrications the life of Philibert Couillaud by Robert de Roquebrune. Even just today I have found another bogus attribution for the Reade ancestry.

The problem isn't their research- and I must stress that- the problem is the trust that one would have in documents where someone claims to be the relation of a disinherited Francois, son of Robert de Joyeuse, that can't be proven through other means. I
    just wish that there was some proof and maybe one day it will present itself. I don't want to put my faith in the word of one man alone in proving this ancestry. I hope everyone understands!

Darrell

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jinny Wallerstedt/Girl 57@21:1/5 to Darrell E. Larocque on Wed Feb 1 08:57:00 2023
    On Tuesday, January 31, 2023 at 3:40:59 PM UTC-5, Darrell E. Larocque wrote:
    On Monday, January 30, 2023 at 9:28:25 AM UTC-5, Jinny Wallerstedt/Girl 57 wrote:

I can't address the specific case, but in general most genealogists, and scholars in general, experience an unconscious bias - if their discovery is mundane, it isn't interesting enough to use anything but the most stringent standards, but if
    it is something exotic, like a royal line, one tends to _want_ it to be true and as a result, to use progressively more relaxed standards of evidence the more they embrace the possibility. Rather than 'extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence',

taf

play their roles.

Hans Vogels

after reading it.
    I have read it as I asked about the English translation a few months ago and found it thanks to someone pointing me to it- the source translated to English presented here, matter of fact!

I use the Foundation for Medieval Genealogy's full explanation of the concerns regarding the de Joyeuse line because it is so very detailed and easy to understand.

As taf has said, I have developed a wary eye when it comes to something this substantial. I have been burned several times in the past which have led to this attitude- the delisting of Jabez Warren as a Mayflower ancestor, the delisting of Elizabeth (
    Bullock) Clement as a Gateway ancestor, glaring inaccuracies in Morrill Kindred in America and absolute fabrications the life of Philibert Couillaud by Robert de Roquebrune. Even just today I have found another bogus attribution for the Reade ancestry.

The problem isn't their research- and I must stress that- the problem is the trust that one would have in documents where someone claims to be the relation of a disinherited Francois, son of Robert de Joyeuse, that can't be proven through other means.
    I just wish that there was some proof and maybe one day it will present itself. I don't want to put my faith in the word of one man alone in proving this ancestry. I hope everyone understands!

Darrell
    Darrell, thank you for your comments. I didn't know that the Foundation for Medieval Genealogy had weighed in on the Anne Couvent line...I Googled but didn't find. Is this material online?

I spent some time two days ago with the French version of the extensive Gagne and Kokanosky article. I am not qualified to evaluate it, but my impression was that the authors had located primary/contemporary sources that support the relationships cited
    in the 1733 notarial act/genealogy created at Jean Baptiste de Joyeuse's request. This must not be correct as, if it were, we wouldn't be relying on the undocumented testimony of one person? It seems this case might be a good example of the differences
    in evidentiary standards that taf mentioned.

Don't want to muddy the water now with my many other questions, not having read English version of article or seen the FMG analysis. Darrell, any link you might have to the latter would be appreciated, as would advice about getting a copy of article's
    English version. I tried to get a copy some ways back, without success. I can read only enough French to be dangerous.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Darrell E. Larocque@21:1/5 to All on Wed Feb 1 13:48:38 2023
    Jinny,

Here is another Medieval Lands links which, if you scroll a tiny bit below, you will see an outline of a point by point analysis of the research.

It begins:

"The final part of this Grandpré/Joyeuse section considers the ancestry of Jean Baptiste de Joyeuse, created Graf von Joyeuse (count in the kingdom of Bohemia) by Empress Maria Theresia in the mid-18th century, which was researched in 2007 by Roland-
    Yves Gagné and Laurent Kokanovsky as part of their investigation into the ancestry of Anne Couvent who emigrated to Quebec from France in 1636 [1290] . This branch of the family is omitted in the reconstructions of Caumartin, Père Anselme [1291] , and
    Europäische Stammtafeln [1292], but Gagné & Kokanovsky reproduce numerous archive documents which confirm the existence in the later 16th/early 17th century of “Jean [I] de Joyeuse dit de Champigneulle” and his five children (shown below), one of
    whom was the maternal grandmother of Anne Couvent. The authors supplement this information with archive documents produced by Jean Baptiste to the imperial authorities to confirm the nobility of his ancestry, in particular a notarial act dated 20 Mar
    1733 which declares his descent from Robert de Joyeuse Comte de Grandpré who, according to this 1733 act, disinherited his second son François after an unequal first marriage. The 1733 act also records Jean [I] as François's son by his second marriage
    and Jean Baptiste's subsequent descent from Jean [I]'s supposed second son Pierre [I] [1293]. Problems arise when trying to reconcile the information in the 1733 act with the earlier documentation as follows:"

https://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/champorret.htm#RobertJoyeusedied1660B

Darrell

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Darrell E. Larocque@21:1/5 to All on Wed Feb 1 13:43:28 2023
    On Wednesday, February 1, 2023 at 11:57:01 AM UTC-5, Jinny Wallerstedt/Girl 57 wrote:
    On Tuesday, January 31, 2023 at 3:40:59 PM UTC-5, Darrell E. Larocque wrote:

I can't address the specific case, but in general most genealogists, and scholars in general, experience an unconscious bias - if their discovery is mundane, it isn't interesting enough to use anything but the most stringent standards, but if
    it is something exotic, like a royal line, one tends to _want_ it to be true and as a result, to use progressively more relaxed standards of evidence the more they embrace the possibility. Rather than 'extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence',

taf

play their roles.

Hans Vogels

after reading it.

The problem isn't their research- and I must stress that- the problem is the trust that one would have in documents where someone claims to be the relation of a disinherited Francois, son of Robert de Joyeuse, that can't be proven through other means.
    I just wish that there was some proof and maybe one day it will present itself. I don't want to put my faith in the word of one man alone in proving this ancestry. I hope everyone understands!

Darrell

Darrell, thank you for your comments. I didn't know that the Foundation for Medieval Genealogy had weighed in on the Anne Couvent line...I Googled but didn't find. Is this material online?

I have shared this link a few times but not here I don't think. It is VERY detailed, so here you are!

Cawley, Charles. Foundation for Medieval Genealogy Medieval Lands

https://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/champorret.htm#FrancoisJoyeusedied1556B

I spent some time two days ago with the French version of the extensive Gagne and Kokanosky article. I am not qualified to evaluate it, but my impression was that the authors had located primary/contemporary sources that support the relationships cited
    in the 1733 notarial act/genealogy created at Jean Baptiste de Joyeuse's request. This must not be correct as, if it were, we wouldn't be relying on the undocumented testimony of one person? It seems this case might be a good example of the differences
    in evidentiary standards that taf mentioned.

I think that Medieval Lands does one whale of a job going point by point about the problems... once you review it and if you review the English translation of the Gagne and Kokanosky research I'd be happy to get your comments!

Don't want to muddy the water now with my many other questions, not having read English version of article or seen the FMG analysis. >Darrell, any link you might have to the latter would be appreciated, as would advice about getting a copy of article's
    English version. I tried >to get a copy some ways back, without success. I can read only enough French to be dangerous.

Two journals from July and October 2021 split up the research, but you have to pay in order to get the translated copy in English. I contact ed them and that was the only way I could get copies was to pay!

https://www.habitantheritage.org/cpage.php?pt=40

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Darrell E. Larocque@21:1/5 to All on Fri Feb 3 07:44:13 2023
    Darrell, so appreciate info and links. I had no idea this analysis was out there. Will go through it carefully.

Am just starting to learn about medieval and early modern genealogy, and a case like this goes a long way in beginning to understand fundamentals, with evidence evaluation topping the list. This will be tough, with no background in French genealogy,
    much less this period. But as Anne Couvent was my 10th great-grandmother, I'd love for this case to be good teacher. Want to underscore, especially to Denis, that I am not critiquing Mr. Gagne and Mr. Kokanosky's work -- not qualified, of course. Just
    want to gain experience looking at evidence and others' evaluations.

Darrell, will look forward to any additional insights and comments from you, Denis, and anyone interested. Thank you again.

It's not a problem! I am also a descendant of Anne Couvent through many Huard males once and also Joly/Chamberland again, where Anastasie Chamberland married Pierre Huard II, completing the connection from both daughters of Mathieu Amiot- Anne Marie and
    Marguerite Amiot. It make me extremely uncomfortable to push the I BELIEVE button on this line and it may never be able to be fully proven because of missing records and I'm not going to remove the uncertain label in my mind. I'm going to emphasize that
    this is NOT about questioning Gagne and Kokanosky's research, but the source in which one person makes claims that are questionable without additional proof. I know that we aren't at the level of their expertise, and that's why I offer Foundation for
    Medieval Genealogy comments which do come from someone with that level of expertise.

I don't have any more insights... I am hopeful that in the future we can see a breakthrough in this line which answers questions!

Darrell

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jinny Wallerstedt/Girl 57@21:1/5 to Darrell E. Larocque on Fri Feb 3 07:19:37 2023
    On Wednesday, February 1, 2023 at 4:48:40 PM UTC-5, Darrell E. Larocque wrote:
    Jinny,

Here is another Medieval Lands links which, if you scroll a tiny bit below, you will see an outline of a point by point analysis of the research.

It begins:

"The final part of this Grandpré/Joyeuse section considers the ancestry of Jean Baptiste de Joyeuse, created Graf von Joyeuse (count in the kingdom of Bohemia) by Empress Maria Theresia in the mid-18th century, which was researched in 2007 by Roland-
    Yves Gagné and Laurent Kokanovsky as part of their investigation into the ancestry of Anne Couvent who emigrated to Quebec from France in 1636 [1290] . This branch of the family is omitted in the reconstructions of Caumartin, Père Anselme [1291] , and
    Europäische Stammtafeln [1292], but Gagné & Kokanovsky reproduce numerous archive documents which confirm the existence in the later 16th/early 17th century of “Jean [I] de Joyeuse dit de Champigneulle” and his five children (shown below), one of
    whom was the maternal grandmother of Anne Couvent. The authors supplement this information with archive documents produced by Jean Baptiste to the imperial authorities to confirm the nobility of his ancestry, in particular a notarial act dated 20 Mar
    1733 which declares his descent from Robert de Joyeuse Comte de Grandpré who, according to this 1733 act, disinherited his second son François after an unequal first marriage. The 1733 act also records Jean [I] as François's son by his second marriage
    and Jean Baptiste's subsequent descent from Jean [I]'s supposed second son Pierre [I] [1293]. Problems arise when trying to reconcile the information in the 1733 act with the earlier documentation as follows:"

https://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/champorret.htm#RobertJoyeusedied1660B

Darrell
    Darrell, so appreciate info and links. I had no idea this analysis was out there. Will go through it carefully.

Am just starting to learn about medieval and early modern genealogy, and a case like this goes a long way in beginning to understand fundamentals, with evidence evaluation topping the list. This will be tough, with no background in French genealogy, much
    less this period. But as Anne Couvent was my 10th great-grandmother, I'd love for this case to be good teacher. Want to underscore, especially to Denis, that I am not critiquing Mr. Gagne and Mr. Kokanosky's work -- not qualified, of course. Just want to
    gain experience looking at evidence and others' evaluations.

Darrell, will look forward to any additional insights and comments from you, Denis, and anyone interested. Thank you again.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05