• Who was Christopher Lancaster of Crackenthorpe 1633 ?

From Will Johnson@21:1/5 to All on Sun Oct 31 16:11:42 2021
    John /Lowther/ of Sockbridge; of White Haven; Knt of the Shire Cumberland 31C2; Ho
    was born 9 Nov 1642 first surviving son of

Christopher /Lowther/ of Whitehaven, Cumberland; Knt; Bnt 1641; W
    second son
    d Apr 1644
    by his wife
    Frances /Lancaster/
    eldest (or sole) heiress of her father so-said in 1633
    d 4 Jan 1647
    bur Lamplugh, Cumbria

Frances Lancaster's father has been called
    Christopher /Lancaster/ of Crackenthorpe so said in 1633
    but also of Sockbridge, co Cumb

I can assume that the
    Lancelot /Lancaster/ of Sockbridge, co Cumb
    who is also involved in the marriage settlement of Frances to christopher Lowther is his brother ? possibly father?

But who are these people?
    Is there a *good* pedigree of the Lancasters of Sockbridge (with dates at all) ?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From lancaster.boon@gmail.com@21:1/5 to wjhons...@gmail.com on Mon Nov 1 08:59:18 2021
    On Monday, November 1, 2021 at 12:11:43 AM UTC+1, wjhons...@gmail.com wrote:
    John /Lowther/ of Sockbridge; of White Haven; Knt of the Shire Cumberland 31C2; Ho

second son
    d Apr 1644
    by his wife
    Frances /Lancaster/
    d 4 Jan 1647
    bur Lamplugh, Cumbria

I can assume that the
    who is also involved in the marriage settlement of Frances to christopher Lowther is his brother ? possibly father?

Is there a *good* pedigree of the Lancasters of Sockbridge (with dates at all) ?

Well I had a very messy old webpage about them which I can mail you. There were several marriages between Lancasters and Lowthers over the centuries.

Unfortunately my internet provider decided to stop supporting websites in recent months. Today the wayback machine is down but the URL used to be users.skynet.be/lancaster/Lancasters%20of%20Sockbridge.html . I will try to get the best pages up again
    somewhere. All proposals welcome. Maybe just a google site?

There was a relatively extensive discussion in an article by Rev. Ragg in TCWAAS in 1910, but that does not supply the whole story, and it contains at least some mistakes. My webpage attempted (not always successfully) to patch together a bigger story,
    or at least delineate some of the main options. I was assisted greatly by David Hall. Of course the period you are talking about is right at the end of the line. Here is some of what I had on that page...

The son of Richard Lancaster of Sockbridge and Barbara Lancaster from Crake Trees:

Christopher Lancaster of Sockbridge Esquire, was heir to both the main Sockbridge line, and the Crake Trees line. He died about 1641 and married Elizabeth Tankard, daughter of Thomas Tankard, who was a relative of Christopher's recusant aunt? (Nicolson
    and Burn).

In the Lowther archives the following record exists: Grant of wardship of Christopher Lancaster heir to part of the manor of Waitby and property in Oddendale and Crosby Ravensworth D LONS/L5/1/15/5 1614.

His uncle Lancelot Lancaster of Sockbridge (approx 1568-1642) was still alive when he wrote his will. He wanted lands in Waitby and Penrith, apparently not connected to his uncle, to be sold for the advantage of his younger daughters before his uncle
    died. The lands in Sockbridge, Hartsop and two other places could, if I understand correctly, be taken over by the Lowthers after his uncle's death, if they paid off the other sisters for a very large amount of fifteen hundred pounds?

Strickland Roger appears to have been sold in 1623, to "Hugh Barrow of Skelsmergh, yeoman and Mathew Phillipson of Strickland Roger, yeoman", so it did not end up with the Lowthers. https://archiveweb.cumbria.gov.uk/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.
    Catalog&id=WDX+1526/4/3&pos=77

The will mentions an uncle Lancelott, and his wife Francis, as well as John Lowther, Christopher Lowther, and Leonard Dykes. The names of his four daughters agree with the account of Nicholas and Burn, of which Francis was to marry Christopher Lowther,
    and his wife was Elizabeth.

A house was also conveyed by a Christopher Lancaster to a John Robertson, in Sockbridge in 1647 D LONS/L5/1/34/4. Possibly a relative of his mother?

My old webpage also says that Lancelot and Richard of Sockbridge were sons of Edward Lancaster of Sockbridge (approx 1538-1618) and Margaret Middleton, daughter of John.

Edward's father was the more well-known Lancelot Lancaster esquire, of Sockbridge (approx 1490-1570). Lancelot was steward of Lord Dacre. In 1547-1549 he was escheator for Westmorland. The historian of Mervyn Evans James wrote that "he could be relied on,
    when required, to push his masters quarrels with the dominant local Clifford interest to the point of violence".

Lancelot was son to William Lancaster of Barton or Sockbridge (approx. 1465-1510) and Elizabeth Lowther. William Lancaster is the effective continuation of the main line, because he married Elizabeth Lowther, great grand daughter of William Lancaster of
    Sockbridge, brother of his own great grand father Hugh Lancaster, and thereby apparently re-took control of Sockbrige, if it had ever effectively been lost.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From lancaster.boon@gmail.com@21:1/5 to lancast...@gmail.com on Mon Nov 1 09:36:46 2021
    On Monday, November 1, 2021 at 4:59:19 PM UTC+1, lancast...@gmail.com wrote:

second son
    d Apr 1644
    by his wife
    Frances /Lancaster/
    d 4 Jan 1647
    bur Lamplugh, Cumbria

I can assume that the

Well I had a very messy old webpage about them which I can mail you. There were several marriages between Lancasters and Lowthers over the centuries.

Unfortunately my internet provider decided to stop supporting websites in recent months. Today the wayback machine is down but the URL used to be users.skynet.be/lancaster/Lancasters%20of%20Sockbridge.html . I will try to get the best pages up again

There was a relatively extensive discussion in an article by Rev. Ragg in TCWAAS in 1910, but that does not supply the whole story, and it contains at least some mistakes. My webpage attempted (not always successfully) to patch together a bigger story,
    or at least delineate some of the main options. I was assisted greatly by David Hall. Of course the period you are talking about is right at the end of the line. Here is some of what I had on that page...

The son of Richard Lancaster of Sockbridge and Barbara Lancaster from Crake Trees:

Christopher Lancaster of Sockbridge Esquire, was heir to both the main Sockbridge line, and the Crake Trees line. He died about 1641 and married Elizabeth Tankard, daughter of Thomas Tankard, who was a relative of Christopher's recusant aunt? (Nicolson
    and Burn).

In the Lowther archives the following record exists: Grant of wardship of Christopher Lancaster heir to part of the manor of Waitby and property in Oddendale and Crosby Ravensworth D LONS/L5/1/15/5 1614.

His uncle Lancelot Lancaster of Sockbridge (approx 1568-1642) was still alive when he wrote his will. He wanted lands in Waitby and Penrith, apparently not connected to his uncle, to be sold for the advantage of his younger daughters before his uncle
    died. The lands in Sockbridge, Hartsop and two other places could, if I understand correctly, be taken over by the Lowthers after his uncle's death, if they paid off the other sisters for a very large amount of fifteen hundred pounds?

Strickland Roger appears to have been sold in 1623, to "Hugh Barrow of Skelsmergh, yeoman and Mathew Phillipson of Strickland Roger, yeoman", so it did not end up with the Lowthers. https://archiveweb.cumbria.gov.uk/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.
    Catalog&id=WDX+1526/4/3&pos=77

The will mentions an uncle Lancelott, and his wife Francis, as well as John Lowther, Christopher Lowther, and Leonard Dykes. The names of his four daughters agree with the account of Nicholas and Burn, of which Francis was to marry Christopher Lowther,
    and his wife was Elizabeth.

A house was also conveyed by a Christopher Lancaster to a John Robertson, in Sockbridge in 1647 D LONS/L5/1/34/4. Possibly a relative of his mother?

My old webpage also says that Lancelot and Richard of Sockbridge were sons of Edward Lancaster of Sockbridge (approx 1538-1618) and Margaret Middleton, daughter of John.

Edward's father was the more well-known Lancelot Lancaster esquire, of Sockbridge (approx 1490-1570). Lancelot was steward of Lord Dacre. In 1547-1549 he was escheator for Westmorland. The historian of Mervyn Evans James wrote that "he could be relied
    on, when required, to push his masters quarrels with the dominant local Clifford interest to the point of violence".

Lancelot was son to William Lancaster of Barton or Sockbridge (approx. 1465-1510) and Elizabeth Lowther. William Lancaster is the effective continuation of the main line, because he married Elizabeth Lowther, great grand daughter of William Lancaster
    of Sockbridge, brother of his own great grand father Hugh Lancaster, and thereby apparently re-took control of Sockbrige, if it had ever effectively been lost.

BTW Barbara Lancaster of Crake Trees, is the daughter of Thomas, son of Ambrose, son of Geoffrey. Geoffrey was a notable administrator at the time of the Pilgrimage of Grace / Henry VIII. I am not convinced anyone knows his exact parentage. The two old
    main Lancaster families of the region, based in Sockbridge and Howgill, tended to work within the same clannish alliances and so they appear in each other's documents etc.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Higgins@21:1/5 to lancast...@gmail.com on Mon Nov 1 11:39:09 2021
    On Monday, November 1, 2021 at 8:59:19 AM UTC-7, lancast...@gmail.com wrote:

The Wayback Machine is up again and points to this site: http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://users.skynet.be/lancaster/Lancasters%20of%20Sockbridge.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05