• Re: Ancestry of William Lawrence

From Paulo Ricardo Canedo@21:1/5 to All on Fri Oct 29 03:50:01 2021
    I must add that I find Greene's argument that Willam Lawrence and Katherine Beaumont's son Thomas was not the same as the husband of Elizabeth Bull pretty weak. It was only the fact that he would have been a couple of months shy of his 18th birthday when
    he married.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Paulo Ricardo Canedo@21:1/5 to All on Fri Oct 29 03:47:56 2021
    Is the ancestry Wikitree has for William Lawrence, husband of Catherine Beaumont and possible father of Thomas Lawrence, husband of Elizabeth Bull, at https://www.wikitree.com/genealogy/Lawrence-Family-Tree-912 correct? It includes an Edward I descent
    through Lionel Welles.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Higgins@21:1/5 to Paulo Ricardo Canedo on Fri Oct 29 22:14:38 2021
    On Friday, October 29, 2021 at 3:47:57 AM UTC-7, Paulo Ricardo Canedo wrote:
    Is the ancestry Wikitree has for William Lawrence, husband of Catherine Beaumont and possible father of Thomas Lawrence, husband of Elizabeth Bull, at https://www.wikitree.com/genealogy/Lawrence-Family-Tree-912 correct? It includes an Edward I descent
    through Lionel Welles.
    I think the line from Lionel Welles is quite weak. As a starter, note that the biography given for John Lawrence, supposed son of John Lawrence and Eleanor Welles according to the pedigree, says that John was the "[son] of Sir James Lawrence, 5th Squire
    of Ashton and Cecily Lawrence" - quite a different couple. That should be a big red flag for you....

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Cayley@21:1/5 to jhigg...@yahoo.com on Sat Oct 30 02:37:38 2021
    On Saturday, 30 October 2021 at 06:14:40 UTC+1, jhigg...@yahoo.com wrote:
    Is the ancestry Wikitree has for William Lawrence, husband of Catherine Beaumont and possible father of Thomas Lawrence, husband of Elizabeth Bull, at https://www.wikitree.com/genealogy/Lawrence-Family-Tree-912 correct? It includes an Edward I
    descent through Lionel Welles.
    I think the line from Lionel Welles is quite weak. As a starter, note that the biography given for John Lawrence, supposed son of John Lawrence and Eleanor Welles according to the pedigree, says that John was the "[son] of Sir James Lawrence, 5th
    Squire of Ashton and Cecily Lawrence" - quite a different couple. That should be a big red flag for you....

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Cayley@21:1/5 to jhigg...@yahoo.com on Sat Oct 30 02:59:21 2021
    I have not investigated this family in any depth, but it looks as if one thing that may be wrong currently on WikiTree is the statement in the biography of John Lawrence, https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Lawrence-922, that John's mother had the first name
    Cecily.

WikiTree relationship connections, including the pedigree chart at https://www.wikitree.com/genealogy/Lawrence-Family-Tree-912, show John as son of James (not John) Lawrence and Eleanor Welles. James as father accords with what is stated in the biography
    for John Lawrence. Eleanor does not: she is described on WikiTree as James's second wife. James's first wife is said in the biography to be Cecily, last name at birth Boteler.

But Douglas Richardson in his ''Royal Ancestry'' says that John Lawrence's mother was Eleanor Welles, not Cecily: see ''Royal Ancestry'', Vol. III, pp. 308-309. If that is right, it means that John's biography has identified the wrong mother for him, and
    that the mother-son relationship shown in the WikiTree pedigree chart is correct.

Is the ancestry Wikitree has for William Lawrence, husband of Catherine Beaumont and possible father of Thomas Lawrence, husband of Elizabeth Bull, at https://www.wikitree.com/genealogy/Lawrence-Family-Tree-912 correct? It includes an Edward I
    I think the line from Lionel Welles is quite weak. As a starter, note that the biography given for John Lawrence, supposed son of John Lawrence and Eleanor Welles according to the pedigree, says that John was the "[son] of Sir James Lawrence, 5th
    Squire of Ashton and Cecily Lawrence" - quite a different couple. That should be a big red flag for you....

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Johnson@21:1/5 to michae...@gmail.com on Sat Oct 30 10:50:21 2021
    On Saturday, October 30, 2021 at 2:59:23 AM UTC-7, michae...@gmail.com wrote:
    I have not investigated this family in any depth, but it looks as if one thing that may be wrong currently on WikiTree is the statement in the biography of John Lawrence, https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Lawrence-922, that John's mother had the first name
    Cecily.

WikiTree relationship connections, including the pedigree chart at https://www.wikitree.com/genealogy/Lawrence-Family-Tree-912, show John as son of James (not John) Lawrence and Eleanor Welles. James as father accords with what is stated in the
    biography for John Lawrence. Eleanor does not: she is described on WikiTree as James's second wife. James's first wife is said in the biography to be Cecily, last name at birth Boteler.

But Douglas Richardson in his ''Royal Ancestry'' says that John Lawrence's mother was Eleanor Welles, not Cecily: see ''Royal Ancestry'', Vol. III, pp. 308-309. If that is right, it means that John's biography has identified the wrong mother for him,
    and that the mother-son relationship shown in the WikiTree pedigree chart is correct.

Are there any dates associated with this James Lawrence, and/or Eleanor's next husband Hugh Hastings?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Cayley@21:1/5 to wjhons...@gmail.com on Sat Oct 30 11:25:05 2021
    James was apparently said to be 22 in 1450 when his father died, and Douglas Richardson says he died in May 1490. I am not seriously researching this family at present and have not looked for other sources for these dates. I have now found an entry,
    viewable on Google Books, for Eleanor Welles which covers her husbands too, in Richardson's Magna Carta Ancestry - Vol. IV, pp. 310-311, WELLES 10, https://books.google.co.uk/books?redir_esc=y&id=8JcbV309c5UC&q=welles#v=snippet&q=welles&f=false - you
    need to scroll down the search results quite a way to get to the relevant page. It says nothing of substance about Hugh Hastings.

The reference in James’s biography on WikiTree to his mother being Cecily has now been removed, and I have added some quick research notes to the biography, https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Lawrence-916.

On Saturday, 30 October 2021 at 18:50:23 UTC+1, wjhons...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Saturday, October 30, 2021 at 2:59:23 AM UTC-7, michae...@gmail.com wrote:
    I have not investigated this family in any depth, but it looks as if one thing that may be wrong currently on WikiTree is the statement in the biography of John Lawrence, https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Lawrence-922, that John's mother had the first
    name Cecily.

WikiTree relationship connections, including the pedigree chart at https://www.wikitree.com/genealogy/Lawrence-Family-Tree-912, show John as son of James (not John) Lawrence and Eleanor Welles. James as father accords with what is stated in the
    biography for John Lawrence. Eleanor does not: she is described on WikiTree as James's second wife. James's first wife is said in the biography to be Cecily, last name at birth Boteler.

But Douglas Richardson in his ''Royal Ancestry'' says that John Lawrence's mother was Eleanor Welles, not Cecily: see ''Royal Ancestry'', Vol. III, pp. 308-309. If that is right, it means that John's biography has identified the wrong mother for him,
    and that the mother-son relationship shown in the WikiTree pedigree chart is correct.
    Are there any dates associated with this James Lawrence, and/or Eleanor's next husband Hugh Hastings?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Johnson@21:1/5 to All on Sat Oct 30 11:47:06 2021
    "According to Marlyn Lewis," ?
    Why are sources like this cited

This is just some individuals private tree
    It should not be cited at all
    Private trees are not reliable sources, no matter who has created them

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Cayley@21:1/5 to wjhons...@gmail.com on Sat Oct 30 13:07:50 2021
    Your strictures are unnecessary and you misunderstand how we use research notes on WikiTree.

I would not regard Marlyn Lewis's site as a reliable source either. On WikiTree we give warnings about its (lack of) reliability, and I personally drafted some of these warnings.

The citation is in a research note. One of the main uses of research notes on WikiTree is to note things that it may be sensible to check out when someone has time, to see if there is a reliable basis for what is said in an unreliable place like Marlyn
    Lewis's site. That is a sensible way to proceed.

When information is presented like this in a research note on WikiTree, it is an indication that it may well be suspect, while recognising the possibility that a good source may be found for it. That does not need to be spelt out. It is obviously right
    to indicate where the information came from, so the citation to Marlyn Lewis is required. The information would be in the main part of the biography if I had regarded it as reliably sourced.

If a reliable basis can be found for James's father having two marriages and two sons called James, the research note reference to Marlyn Lewis can be removed, and reliable sourcing given.

If it can be proved that Marlyn Lewis is wrong, then I would want WikiTree to note that in a research note, in order to prevent others, who discover what Marlyn Lewis says, making the same error and adding false information. Research notes are frequently
    used on WikiTree to note errors in Marlyn Lewis's site and other unreliable but well-known places - and errors in more reliable sources too.

On Saturday, 30 October 2021 at 19:47:07 UTC+1, wjhons...@gmail.com wrote:
    "According to Marlyn Lewis," ?
    Why are sources like this cited

This is just some individuals private tree
    It should not be cited at all
    Private trees are not reliable sources, no matter who has created them

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Johnson@21:1/5 to Will Johnson on Sat Oct 30 14:14:41 2021
    On Saturday, October 30, 2021 at 2:10:12 PM UTC-7, Will Johnson wrote:
    OR you could stop citing private trees which have not been vetted

By the way my strictures may be unnecessary is a worthless site like Wikitree, but they are necessary when reposting to a group like this where we take such things a bit more seriously.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Johnson@21:1/5 to All on Sat Oct 30 14:10:10 2021
    OR you could stop citing private trees which have not been vetted

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Johnson@21:1/5 to All on Sat Oct 30 14:45:31 2021
    However
    an article in the Gentleman's Magazine, written 400 years later, is not going to pass muster as a reliable source for the next link
    That is, that John Lawrence, second son, is the same person as John Lawrence of Ramsey Hunts

So go fish.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Johnson@21:1/5 to All on Sat Oct 30 14:43:12 2021
    https://books.google.com/books?id=8JcbV309c5UC&pg=RA3-PA310&dq=%22eleanor+welles%22+thomas+lord+hoo&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwij0_XIi_PzAhUzJzQIHR9sBYIQ6AF6BAgNEAI#v=onepage&q=%22eleanor%20welles%22%20thomas%20lord%20hoo&f=true

Here is a published source stating that Eleanor Welles had a son named John apparently the second (as so named) son by her marriage with James Lawrence of Ashton Lancs

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Higgins@21:1/5 to wjhons...@gmail.com on Sat Oct 30 15:37:59 2021
    On Saturday, October 30, 2021 at 2:43:14 PM UTC-7, wjhons...@gmail.com wrote:
    https://books.google.com/books?id=8JcbV309c5UC&pg=RA3-PA310&dq=%22eleanor+welles%22+thomas+lord+hoo&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwij0_XIi_PzAhUzJzQIHR9sBYIQ6AF6BAgNEAI#v=onepage&q=%22eleanor%20welles%22%20thomas%20lord%20hoo&f=true

Here is a published source stating that Eleanor Welles had a son named John apparently the second (as so named) son by her marriage with James Lawrence of Ashton Lancs

Yes, the source was cited (with a link) in Michael's post of 11:25 AM (my time) this morning. Did you read that post?

As I've indicated before, the son John attributed to Eleanor is the weak point in the Wikitree attempt to connect to Lionel Wells - and thus to a royal descent.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Higgins@21:1/5 to wjhons...@gmail.com on Sat Oct 30 15:50:42 2021
    On Saturday, October 30, 2021 at 2:45:32 PM UTC-7, wjhons...@gmail.com wrote:
    However
    an article in the Gentleman's Magazine, written 400 years later, is not going to pass muster as a reliable source for the next link
    That is, that John Lawrence, second son, is the same person as John Lawrence of Ramsey Hunts

So go fish.

If you're talking about the Gentleman's Magazine article cited in the Wikitree page for John Lawrence of Ramsey, that article (have you read it??) does not make John a son of Sir James Laurence and Eleanor Welles. Another weakness in the desired link
    to Lionel Welles and the royal descent.

But John Lawrence of Ramsey WAS probably connected to Sir James Lawrence in a different way - which I'll explain later today, if time permits.... That would explain the confusion...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Brad Verity@21:1/5 to michae...@gmail.com on Sun Oct 31 00:12:58 2021
    On Saturday, October 30, 2021 at 11:25:06 AM UTC-7, michae...@gmail.com wrote:
    James was apparently said to be 22 in 1450 when his father died, and Douglas Richardson says he died in May 1490. I am not seriously researching this family at present and have not looked for other sources for these dates.

The original source for these dates would be the inquisitions post mortem taken after the death of Robert Lawrence of Ashton Court, Lancashire, and of his son Sir James Lawrence. I've not seen an abstract of the 1450 IPM for Robert Lawrence, but two IPMs
    for Sir James Lawrence were published in 'Abstracts of inquisitions post mortem made by Christopher Towneley and Roger Dodsworth' Volume 2 (Chetham Society 99 (1876)).

The first, taken 20 August 1490, states "et quod predictus Jacobus Laurence miles obit ultimo die mensis Maii ultimo preterite et quod Thomas Laurence est filius et heres ejus propinquior et etatis 24 annorum et amplius."
    https://archive.org/details/abstractsinquis01langgoog/page/n147/mode/2up

The second, taken 19 April 1501, states "Et quod predictus Jacobus Laurence obit ultimo die mensis Maii Anne regain Regis predicti quinto. Et quod Thomas Laurence Armigeri est filius et heres ejus propinquior et est etatis quadraginta annorum et amplius."
    https://archive.org/details/abstractsinquis01langgoog/page/n155/mode/2up

Douglas Richardson in his 'Magna Carta Ancestry' 2nd Edition, cites this 1876 Chetham Society volume amongst his list of sources for his entry on Thomas Lord Hoo/Eleanor Welles/Sir James Lawrence, but only the pages (131-133) for the 1501 IPM above.
    Presumably he overlooked the 1490 IPM on pages 122-123.

I have now found an entry, viewable on Google Books, for Eleanor Welles which covers her husbands too, in Richardson's Magna Carta Ancestry - Vol. IV, pp. 310-311, WELLES 10, https://books.google.co.uk/books?redir_esc=y&id=8JcbV309c5UC&q=welles#v=
    snippet&q=welles&f=false - you need to scroll down the search results quite a way to get to the relevant page. It says nothing of substance about Hugh Hastings.

Not only does Douglas say nothing of substance about Hugh Hastings, he states (p. 310), of Sir James Lawrence and Eleanor Welles, "They had three sons, Thomas, Knt., John, and Robert (clerk), and two daughters, Agnes (wife of William Tunstall) and Jane."

I've no idea from which source Douglas got the third son Robert Lawrence, and the two daughters Agnes (Lawrence) Tunstall and Jane Lawrence.

John Gough Nichols, in 'The Herald and Genealogist' Volume 8 (1874), includes an article 'Lawrence of Ashton, Co. Lancaster', pp. 210-219. The article, which is not amongst the sources listed by Douglas on p. 310 of his 'Magna Carta Ancestry', includes a
    detailed pedigree of the Lawrence family of Ashton Court, and provides supporting evidences. The only two children the pedigree assigns to Sir James Lawrence and his second wife Eleanor (Welles), Lady Hoo, are sons Thomas and John.

The article does abstract the IPM for John Laurence of Ashton Court, the younger son of Sir James Lawrence and Eleanor Welles, who was killed at the Battle of Flodden Field 9 Sept 1513 ("fuit quod predictus Johannes Laurence obit nono die Sept. 5 Hen.
    VIII."):
    https://archive.org/details/heraldgenealogis08nich/page/216/mode/2up

From John Lawrence's IPM, it's clear he died without issue (though he did leave a widow, Alice), as his heirs were one aunt, Margaret (Lawrence) Rigmaden (d. 12 Aug. 1517), sister of his father Sir James, and three first cousins, the heirs of three other
    of his father's deceased sisters.

Per the entry on Ashton in VCH Lancaster Volume 8 (1914), more details are given about the descendants of four aunts of John Lawrence. After his death, "the inheritance was divided among a number of families, representatives of his aunts Elizabeth,
    Margaret, Agnes and Alice, daughters of Robert Lawrence. Footnote: This appears from pleadings of 1536 in Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 163, m. 20, concerning the manors of Ashton, Camforth and Scotforth, and extensive lands, &c. (1) Elizabeth married John
    Boteler of Rawcliffe and on the death of their grandson John in 1534 the heirs were four daughters — Elizabeth wife of James Standish of Duxbury, Isabel, who afterwards married Thomas Radcliffe of Winmarleigh, Eleanor wife of Henry Rishton and Grace
    afterwards wife of Hugh Anderton. (2) Margaret married Nicholas Rigmaiden of Wedacre. (3) Agnes married William Skillicorne of Prees, and their great-grandson Richard Skillicorne died in 1534, leaving four daughters—Joan wife of Thomas Chaydock,
    Elizabeth of George Linsage [? Liversage], Anne of Henry Marsh and Eleanor of — Haughton. (4) Alice married James Clifton and their great-granddaughter and heir married Sir William Molyneux of Sefton."
    https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/lancs/vol8/pp50-56

As this volume of VCH Lancaster is amongst the sources Douglas cites for his entry on Thomas Lord Hoo/Eleanor Welles/Sir James Lawrence, I find it interesting that he proceeds to give Sir James and Lady Eleanor Lawrence three additional children, who, if
    they had actually existed, would have to have predeceased without issue their brother John Lawrence of Ashton Court.

through Lionel Welles.

I've no idea from whom William Lawrence, husband of Catherine Beaumont, descends, but it certainly wasn't from John Lawrence of Ashton Court (dsp 1513), son of Sir James Lawrence of Ashton Court (c.1428-1490) and his wife Eleanor (Welles) Lady Hoo. This
    WikiTree entry for John Lawrence is incorrect. https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Lawrence-922

The WikiTree pedigree Paulo links above has additional Edward I descents for this William Lawrence, through a purported maternal ancestor, Anne (Tyrwhitt) Kaye:
    https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Tirwhitt-1

Yet, this also is almost certainly incorrect. I have Anne Tyrwhitt, the daughter of Sir Robert Tyrwhitt of Kettleby Hall (c.1482-1548) and Maud Tailboys (descended from Edward I through each of her parents), as married 4 Dec 1516, to William Hansard of
    South Kelsey (1501-1522), with a daughter Elizabeth Hansard (1522-1558), the first wife of Sir Francis Ayscough of Stallingborough Hall (by 1518-1564), brother of Protestant martyr Anne Ayscough (burned at the stake 1546).

Cheers, -----Brad

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Cayley@21:1/5 to Brad Verity on Sun Oct 31 01:49:17 2021
    Thanks, Brad, for the helpful information. As far as WikiTree goes, I will be giving this conversation longer to see if additional well-sourced information is produced, and then, as I have time from other priorities, be adding info, and making changes,
    to what is on WikiTree.

On Sunday, 31 October 2021 at 07:13:00 UTC, Brad Verity wrote:
    James was apparently said to be 22 in 1450 when his father died, and Douglas Richardson says he died in May 1490. I am not seriously researching this family at present and have not looked for other sources for these dates.
    The original source for these dates would be the inquisitions post mortem taken after the death of Robert Lawrence of Ashton Court, Lancashire, and of his son Sir James Lawrence. I've not seen an abstract of the 1450 IPM for Robert Lawrence, but two
    IPMs for Sir James Lawrence were published in 'Abstracts of inquisitions post mortem made by Christopher Towneley and Roger Dodsworth' Volume 2 (Chetham Society 99 (1876)).

The first, taken 20 August 1490, states "et quod predictus Jacobus Laurence miles obit ultimo die mensis Maii ultimo preterite et quod Thomas Laurence est filius et heres ejus propinquior et etatis 24 annorum et amplius."

The second, taken 19 April 1501, states "Et quod predictus Jacobus Laurence obit ultimo die mensis Maii Anne regain Regis predicti quinto. Et quod Thomas Laurence Armigeri est filius et heres ejus propinquior et est etatis quadraginta annorum et
    amplius."

Douglas Richardson in his 'Magna Carta Ancestry' 2nd Edition, cites this 1876 Chetham Society volume amongst his list of sources for his entry on Thomas Lord Hoo/Eleanor Welles/Sir James Lawrence, but only the pages (131-133) for the 1501 IPM above.
    I have now found an entry, viewable on Google Books, for Eleanor Welles which covers her husbands too, in Richardson's Magna Carta Ancestry - Vol. IV, pp. 310-311, WELLES 10, https://books.google.co.uk/books?redir_esc=y&id=8JcbV309c5UC&q=welles#v=
    snippet&q=welles&f=false - you need to scroll down the search results quite a way to get to the relevant page. It says nothing of substance about Hugh Hastings.
    Not only does Douglas say nothing of substance about Hugh Hastings, he states (p. 310), of Sir James Lawrence and Eleanor Welles, "They had three sons, Thomas, Knt., John, and Robert (clerk), and two daughters, Agnes (wife of William Tunstall) and Jane.
    "

I've no idea from which source Douglas got the third son Robert Lawrence, and the two daughters Agnes (Lawrence) Tunstall and Jane Lawrence.

John Gough Nichols, in 'The Herald and Genealogist' Volume 8 (1874), includes an article 'Lawrence of Ashton, Co. Lancaster', pp. 210-219. The article, which is not amongst the sources listed by Douglas on p. 310 of his 'Magna Carta Ancestry', includes
    a detailed pedigree of the Lawrence family of Ashton Court, and provides supporting evidences. The only two children the pedigree assigns to Sir James Lawrence and his second wife Eleanor (Welles), Lady Hoo, are sons Thomas and John.

The article does abstract the IPM for John Laurence of Ashton Court, the younger son of Sir James Lawrence and Eleanor Welles, who was killed at the Battle of Flodden Field 9 Sept 1513 ("fuit quod predictus Johannes Laurence obit nono die Sept. 5 Hen.
    VIII."):

From John Lawrence's IPM, it's clear he died without issue (though he did leave a widow, Alice), as his heirs were one aunt, Margaret (Lawrence) Rigmaden (d. 12 Aug. 1517), sister of his father Sir James, and three first cousins, the heirs of three
    other of his father's deceased sisters.

Per the entry on Ashton in VCH Lancaster Volume 8 (1914), more details are given about the descendants of four aunts of John Lawrence. After his death, "the inheritance was divided among a number of families, representatives of his aunts Elizabeth,
    Margaret, Agnes and Alice, daughters of Robert Lawrence. Footnote: This appears from pleadings of 1536 in Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 163, m. 20, concerning the manors of Ashton, Camforth and Scotforth, and extensive lands, &c. (1) Elizabeth married John
    Boteler of Rawcliffe and on the death of their grandson John in 1534 the heirs were four daughters — Elizabeth wife of James Standish of Duxbury, Isabel, who afterwards married Thomas Radcliffe of Winmarleigh, Eleanor wife of Henry Rishton and Grace
    afterwards wife of Hugh Anderton. (2) Margaret married Nicholas Rigmaiden of Wedacre. (3) Agnes married William Skillicorne of Prees, and their great-grandson Richard Skillicorne died in 1534, leaving four daughters—Joan wife of Thomas Chaydock,
    Elizabeth of George Linsage [? Liversage], Anne of Henry Marsh and Eleanor of — Haughton. (4) Alice married James Clifton and their great-granddaughter and heir married Sir William Molyneux of Sefton."

As this volume of VCH Lancaster is amongst the sources Douglas cites for his entry on Thomas Lord Hoo/Eleanor Welles/Sir James Lawrence, I find it interesting that he proceeds to give Sir James and Lady Eleanor Lawrence three additional children, who,
    if they had actually existed, would have to have predeceased without issue their brother John Lawrence of Ashton Court.
    I've no idea from whom William Lawrence, husband of Catherine Beaumont, descends, but it certainly wasn't from John Lawrence of Ashton Court (dsp 1513), son of Sir James Lawrence of Ashton Court (c.1428-1490) and his wife Eleanor (Welles) Lady Hoo.
    This WikiTree entry for John Lawrence is incorrect.
    https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Lawrence-922

The WikiTree pedigree Paulo links above has additional Edward I descents for this William Lawrence, through a purported maternal ancestor, Anne (Tyrwhitt) Kaye:

Yet, this also is almost certainly incorrect. I have Anne Tyrwhitt, the daughter of Sir Robert Tyrwhitt of Kettleby Hall (c.1482-1548) and Maud Tailboys (descended from Edward I through each of her parents), as married 4 Dec 1516, to William Hansard of
    South Kelsey (1501-1522), with a daughter Elizabeth Hansard (1522-1558), the first wife of Sir Francis Ayscough of Stallingborough Hall (by 1518-1564), brother of Protestant martyr Anne Ayscough (burned at the stake 1546).

Cheers, -----Brad

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From taf@21:1/5 to Brad Verity on Sun Oct 31 06:56:36 2021
    On Sunday, October 31, 2021 at 12:13:00 AM UTC-7, Brad Verity wrote:
    James was apparently said to be 22 in 1450 when his father died, and Douglas Richardson
    says he died in May 1490. I am not seriously researching this family at present and have not
    looked for other sources for these dates.
    The original source for these dates would be the inquisitions post mortem taken after the death
    of Robert Lawrence of Ashton Court, Lancashire, and of his son Sir James Lawrence. I've not
    seen an abstract of the 1450 IPM for Robert Lawrence, but two IPMs for Sir James Lawrence
    were published in 'Abstracts of inquisitions post mortem made by Christopher Towneley and
    Roger Dodsworth' Volume 2 (Chetham Society 99 (1876)).

The abstract for Robert Lawrence is in the same volume, p. 56-57: https://archive.org/details/abstractsinquis01langgoog/page/n81/mode/2up

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Johnson@21:1/5 to All on Sun Oct 31 07:06:44 2021
    Following VCH it also seems that

https://books.google.com/books?id=YdIKAAAAYAAJ&dq=Thomas%20%2FClifton%2F%20of%20Clifton%20and%20Westby&pg=PA232#v=onepage&q=Thomas%20/Clifton/%20of%20Clifton%20and%20Westby&f=true

This must be that "alice m James Clifton and their great-granddaughter and heir married William Sefton"

We have a James Clifton, we have a great-granddaughter and heir, she married a William Sefton

Although Burkes here has Alice Lawrence as the mother, and an Alice Lancaster as the great-grandmother, I wonder if these have been switched?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Johnson@21:1/5 to michae...@gmail.com on Sun Oct 31 06:51:49 2021
    On Sunday, October 31, 2021 at 1:49:19 AM UTC-7, michae...@gmail.com wrote:
    Thanks, Brad, for the helpful information. As far as WikiTree goes, I will be giving this conversation longer to see if additional well-sourced information is produced, and then, as I have time from other priorities, be adding info, and making changes,
    to what is on WikiTree.
    The original source for these dates would be the inquisitions post mortem taken after the death of Robert Lawrence of Ashton Court, Lancashire, and of his son Sir James Lawrence. I've not seen an abstract of the 1450 IPM for Robert Lawrence, but two
    IPMs for Sir James Lawrence were published in 'Abstracts of inquisitions post mortem made by Christopher Towneley and Roger Dodsworth' Volume 2 (Chetham Society 99 (1876)).

The second, taken 19 April 1501, states "Et quod predictus Jacobus Laurence obit ultimo die mensis Maii Anne regain Regis predicti quinto. Et quod Thomas Laurence Armigeri est filius et heres ejus propinquior et est etatis quadraginta annorum et
    amplius."

Not only does Douglas say nothing of substance about Hugh Hastings, he states (p. 310), of Sir James Lawrence and Eleanor Welles, "They had three sons, Thomas, Knt., John, and Robert (clerk), and two daughters, Agnes (wife of William Tunstall) and
    Jane."

John Gough Nichols, in 'The Herald and Genealogist' Volume 8 (1874), includes an article 'Lawrence of Ashton, Co. Lancaster', pp. 210-219. The article, which is not amongst the sources listed by Douglas on p. 310 of his 'Magna Carta Ancestry',
    includes a detailed pedigree of the Lawrence family of Ashton Court, and provides supporting evidences. The only two children the pedigree assigns to Sir James Lawrence and his second wife Eleanor (Welles), Lady Hoo, are sons Thomas and John.

VIII."):

From John Lawrence's IPM, it's clear he died without issue (though he did leave a widow, Alice), as his heirs were one aunt, Margaret (Lawrence) Rigmaden (d. 12 Aug. 1517), sister of his father Sir James, and three first cousins, the heirs of three

As this volume of VCH Lancaster is amongst the sources Douglas cites for his entry on Thomas Lord Hoo/Eleanor Welles/Sir James Lawrence, I find it interesting that he proceeds to give Sir James and Lady Eleanor Lawrence three additional children, who,
    if they had actually existed, would have to have predeceased without issue their brother John Lawrence of Ashton Court.

I've no idea from whom William Lawrence, husband of Catherine Beaumont, descends, but it certainly wasn't from John Lawrence of Ashton Court (dsp 1513), son of Sir James Lawrence of Ashton Court (c.1428-1490) and his wife Eleanor (Welles) Lady Hoo.

Yet, this also is almost certainly incorrect. I have Anne Tyrwhitt, the daughter of Sir Robert Tyrwhitt of Kettleby Hall (c.1482-1548) and Maud Tailboys (descended from Edward I through each of her parents), as married 4 Dec 1516, to William Hansard
    of South Kelsey (1501-1522), with a daughter Elizabeth Hansard (1522-1558), the first wife of Sir Francis Ayscough of Stallingborough Hall (by 1518-1564), brother of Protestant martyr Anne Ayscough (burned at the stake 1546).

Cheers, -----Brad

would you agree that the person here as

https://books.google.com/books?id=JyjvAAAAMAAJ&dq=thomas%20radcliffe%20wimbersley&lr&pg=PA94#v=onepage&q&f=false

"Isabel da and coh of John Butler of Ratcliffe + Thomas Ratcliffe of Wimbersley"
    is identical to your above Elizabeth (da and coh of John Boteler of Rawcliffe) + Thomas Radcliffe of Winmarleigh

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Johnson@21:1/5 to All on Sun Oct 31 07:26:24 2021
    Burkes here

https://books.google.com/books?id=zIRDzdNZCEsC&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&dq=%22cuthbert%20clifton%22&pg=PA56#v=onepage&q=%22cuthbert%20clifton%22&f=false

is appearing to make that John Lawrence of Ashton who Brad above says d.s.p.; Slain at the Battle of Flodden into the father of Alice Lawrence who m Cuthbert Clifton

Brad said his widow was Alice, but his heirs were his four aunts
    So this represents a correction here

Apparently there is some document stating that Elizabeth inherited Lawrence properties and therefore Burkes has decided that Alice must have been a Lawrence ?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Cayley@21:1/5 to Brad Verity on Sun Oct 31 07:40:45 2021
    Douglas Richardson appears to me to have got the suggestion that James Lawrence and Eleanor Welles had children Robert, Agnes and Jane from Miscellanea Genealogica et Heraldica, Vol. I, 1868, p. 199, https://archive.org/details/miscellaneagenea112unse/
    page/n217/mode/2up. See the list of children at the bottom of the Laurence pedigree. This is one of the works Richardson cites.

Robert is described there as parson of Warton, Lancashire. The Victoria County History for Lancashire has a table of rectors and vicars of Warton which shows Sir James Lawrence presenting a Robert Lawrence to the living on 6 March 1489/90, with Richard
    Dudley succeeding Robert in 1507/8: 'The parish of Warton', in A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 8, ed. William Farrer and J Brownbill (London, 1914), pp. 151-161. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/lancs/vol8/pp151-
    161 [accessed 31 October 2021].

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paulo Ricardo Canedo@21:1/5 to All on Sun Oct 31 08:07:57 2021
    A domingo, 31 de outubro de 2021 à(s) 07:13:00 UTC, Brad Verity escreveu:

amplius."

Not only does Douglas say nothing of substance about Hugh Hastings, he states (p. 310), of Sir James Lawrence and Eleanor Welles, "They had three sons, Thomas, Knt., John, and Robert (clerk), and two daughters, Agnes (wife of William Tunstall) and Jane.
    "

John Gough Nichols, in 'The Herald and Genealogist' Volume 8 (1874), includes an article 'Lawrence of Ashton, Co. Lancaster', pp. 210-219. The article, which is not amongst the sources listed by Douglas on p. 310 of his 'Magna Carta Ancestry', includes
    a detailed pedigree of the Lawrence family of Ashton Court, and provides supporting evidences. The only two children the pedigree assigns to Sir James Lawrence and his second wife Eleanor (Welles), Lady Hoo, are sons Thomas and John.

VIII."):

Cheers, -----Brad

Thanks for this, Brad. I guess this is what Peter Warwick refered to at https://groups.google.com/g/soc.genealogy.medieval/c/Vci4rw2vSEs/m/AmqAqxJvBwAJ.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Johnson@21:1/5 to All on Sun Oct 31 08:23:42 2021
    The Vis Lanc 1567 is online
    I found a copy here

https://play.google.com/books/reader?id=EQEVAAAAQAAJ&pg=GBS.RA1-PA104&hl=en

I'm a bit concerned that the idea that Elizabeth (Clifton) who m1 Richard Hesketh and m2 William Molyneaux is here described as the daughter of the granddaughter of Sir John Lawrence of Ashton

Note that this is added in brackets to the Vis entry and I wonder if somewhere it states from where this came. This is possibly the basis for Burke's repeating it later.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Johnson@21:1/5 to All on Sun Oct 31 08:44:04 2021
    Here we see some odd error
    The Vis Lanc 1567

https://play.google.com/books/reader?id=EQEVAAAAQAAJ&pg=GBS.RA1-PA54&hl=en

here at the bottom has an a line from John Rigmayden son and heir, which descends next to a Thomas son and heir m Jane Langton

So from Margaret Lawrence m Nicholas Rigmayden we should have her heir as John, and her grandson and heir as Thomas

However from the Herald and Genealogist cited above

https://archive.org/details/heraldgenealogis08nich/page/217/mode/1up

we have that Margaret is 60 and that "Thomas SON and HEIR" is 24

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Johnson@21:1/5 to All on Sun Oct 31 08:50:33 2021
    I think there is a connection here to a rather famous family

https://play.google.com/books/reader?id=EQEVAAAAQAAJ&pg=GBS.RA1-PA55&hl=en
    Vis Lanc 1567

Edward Prestwich of Holme co Lanc; JP
    had a daughter Isabella

It is not a far stretch to suggest that the Isabel Rigmayden here who m Edmond Prestwich of Holme, was the same man, and thus the father of this Isabel

This daughter Isabel married Arthur Dee b 13 Jul 1579 Mortlake, Surrey; eldest child of his father

And that father was the famous
    John /Dee/ of Mortlake -1567- , astronomer died Dec 1608

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Johnson@21:1/5 to All on Sun Oct 31 08:55:22 2021
    That Isabel was living in 1578 and Edmond was then dead

https://books.google.com/books?id=zQAVAAAAQAAJ&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&dq=edmond%20prestwyche&pg=PA143#v=onepage&q=edmond%20prestwyche&f=false

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Johnson@21:1/5 to Will Johnson on Sun Oct 31 08:57:55 2021
    On Sunday, October 31, 2021 at 8:55:24 AM UTC-7, Will Johnson wrote:
    That Isabel was living in 1578 and Edmond was then dead

https://books.google.com/books?id=zQAVAAAAQAAJ&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&dq=edmond%20prestwyche&pg=PA143#v=onepage&q=edmond%20prestwyche&f=false

That they were concerned with Wedacre and the Rigmayden's in general

https://books.google.com/books?id=Z0JNAAAAcAAJ&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&dq=edmond%20prestwyche&pg=PA302#v=onepage&q=edmond%20prestwyche&f=true

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Johnson@21:1/5 to All on Sun Oct 31 09:15:05 2021
    Is this some kind of case where the widow Margaret /Lawrence/ Rigmaiden had it in her own power to name her "second son" as her own heir to her properties?

*Or* is it just *slightly* possible that the Vis Lanc here is wrong and that Thomas named as her heir and heir "aged 24" 1514 was the SON of John by Catherine Pennington?

It would chronologically *just* be possible

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Johnson@21:1/5 to All on Sun Oct 31 09:10:35 2021
    That Catherine Pennington who m John /Rigmayden/ of Wedacre, co Lanc who is here clearly named as "heir" (Heir apparent in 1489), and that both of their fathers were then (1489) yet living

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/deb7d692-3da3-433a-8ff0-d8abf79d3c04

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Brad Verity@21:1/5 to wjhons...@gmail.com on Sun Oct 31 10:08:36 2021
    On Sunday, October 31, 2021 at 6:51:51 AM UTC-7, wjhons...@gmail.com wrote:

https://books.google.com/books?id=JyjvAAAAMAAJ&dq=thomas%20radcliffe%20wimbersley&lr&pg=PA94#v=onepage&q&f=false

"Isabel da and coh of John Butler of Ratcliffe + Thomas Ratcliffe of Wimbersley"
    is identical to your above Elizabeth (da and coh of John Boteler of Rawcliffe) + Thomas Radcliffe of Winmarleigh

Yes, Will, it is the same person. Thomas Radcliffe of Winmarleigh (1516-1538) married (settlement 17 Jan 1527), Isabel Boteler, dau of John Boteler of Rawcliffe Hall (1489-1534, descended from Edward I) and Anne Sherborn (d. 1541). The paternal
    grandparents of John Boteler were John Boteler, heir of Rawcliffe Hall and Elizabeth, dau of Robert Lawrence of Ashton Court (d. 1450).

On Sunday, October 31, 2021 at 6:56:37 AM UTC-7, taf wrote:
    The abstract for Robert Lawrence is in the same volume, p. 56-57: https://archive.org/details/abstractsinquis01langgoog/page/n81/mode/2up

Thank you, Todd!

On Sunday, October 31, 2021 at 7:40:47 AM UTC-7, michae...@gmail.com wrote:
    Douglas Richardson appears to me to have got the suggestion that James Lawrence and Eleanor Welles had children Robert, Agnes and Jane from Miscellanea Genealogica et Heraldica, Vol. I, 1868, p. 199, https://archive.org/details/miscellaneagenea112unse/
    page/n217/mode/2up. See the list of children at the bottom of the Laurence pedigree. This is one of the works Richardson cites.

Robert is described there as parson of Warton, Lancashire. The Victoria County History for Lancashire has a table of rectors and vicars of Warton which shows Sir James Lawrence presenting a Robert Lawrence to the living on 6 March 1489/90, with Richard
    Dudley succeeding Robert in 1507/8: 'The parish of Warton', in A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 8, ed. William Farrer and J Brownbill (London, 1914), pp. 151-161. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/lancs/vol8/pp151-
    161 [accessed 31 October 2021].

Very interesting Michael, thank you. The Lawrence pedigree from the 1567 Visitation of Lancashire indicates that Jane Lawrence died young and Agnes (Lawrence) Tunstall died without issue. You've researched that Rev. Robert Lawrence of Warton died 1507/8,
    so it would seem that these three additional children of Sir James Lawrence of Ashton Court (c.1428-1490) and Eleanor (Welles) Lady Hoo, did indeed exist, and Agnes Tunstall had to have died before her brother's IPM was taken in 1513. I'll add these
    three Lawrence siblings into my database. And so the issue of Sir James Lawrence and Lady Hoo became extinct when their son John Lawrence fell at Flodden.

On Sunday, October 31, 2021 at 8:07:59 AM UTC-7, Paulo Ricardo Canedo wrote:
    Thanks for this, Brad. I guess this is what Peter Warwick refered to at https://groups.google.com/g/soc.genealogy.medieval/c/Vci4rw2vSEs/m/AmqAqxJvBwAJ.

Paulo, back in 2016, I showed that Margaret Kaye, wife of William Lawrence (bur. 20 Dec. 1572), could not have been the granddaughter of John Kaye of Woodsome Hall (d. 1594) and Dorothy Mauleverer (c.1527-1591, descended from Edward III). However, she
    may indeed have been a daughter of an Edward Kaye and Anne Tyrwhitt, as Charles Browning had it in 1911. But if so, I don't believe that Anne (Tyrwhitt) Kaye was the daughter of Sir Robert Tyrwhitt of Kettleby Hall (c.1482-1548) and Maud Tailboys (
    descended from Edward I). Further research into William Lawrence (d. 1572) and his wife Margaret is definitely needed.

Cheers, ----Brad

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From taf@21:1/5 to wjhons...@gmail.com on Sun Oct 31 10:09:09 2021
    On Sunday, October 31, 2021 at 8:44:06 AM UTC-7, wjhons...@gmail.com wrote:
    Here we see some odd error
    The Vis Lanc 1567

https://play.google.com/books/reader?id=EQEVAAAAQAAJ&pg=GBS.RA1-PA54&hl=en

here at the bottom has an a line from John Rigmayden son and heir, which descends next to a Thomas son and heir m Jane Langton

So from Margaret Lawrence m Nicholas Rigmayden we should have her heir as John, and her grandson and heir as Thomas

However from the Herald and Genealogist cited above

https://archive.org/details/heraldgenealogis08nich/page/217/mode/1up

we have that Margaret is 60 and that "Thomas SON and HEIR" is 24

I think this document is in error. We all know about the ages in ipms, but it is the rare gentry woman whose heir was born when she was 36, and that is if she was just 60. Being 60+ in 1514 would place her birth before 1454, but her brother James was
    22+ when his father died in 1450, so born before 1428. This makes it look like her age was very much older than 60, and probably closer to 80. Unless the age of Thomas was equally far afield, it sure looks like he was two generations removed from
    Margaret rather than just the one. The other heirs were John Butler aged 25 and grandson of Elizabeth Lawrence, John Skillicorne aged 40 and son of Agnes Lawrence, and Elizabeth Hesketh, great-granddaughter of Alice Lawrence. If Thomas really was 24,
    he would more fit as grandson of another sister, rather than simply son.

FWIW: ipm of Nicholas Rigmaden, 1479, heir grandson Nicholas aged 30+

https://archive.org/details/abstractsinquis01langgoog/page/n130/mode/1up?view=theater

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From taf@21:1/5 to taf on Sun Oct 31 10:38:39 2021
    On Sunday, October 31, 2021 at 10:21:40 AM UTC-7, taf wrote:
    On Sunday, October 31, 2021 at 10:09:10 AM UTC-7, taf wrote:
    The other heirs were John Butler aged 25 and grandson of Elizabeth Lawrence,
    John Skillicorne aged 40 and son of Agnes Lawrence, and Elizabeth Hesketh, great-granddaughter of Alice Lawrence. If Thomas really was 24, he would more
    fit as grandson of another sister, rather than simply son.
    Oops, left out Elizabeth Hesketh's age: she was 16.

And while we are at it, it looks like the visitation's Clifton pedigree is far afield with regard to the Clifton/Lawrence connection:

https://play.google.com/books/reader?id=EQEVAAAAQAAJ&pg=GBS.RA1-PA42&hl=en

It shows that Elizabeth (Clifton) Hesketh's parents were Cuthbert Clifton and the daughter and heiress of Lawrence, with the editor then filling in that she was daughter of Sir John Lawrence of Ashton. The inquisition instead says Elizabeth Hesketh was
    was daughter of Cuthbert Clifton, son of Robert, son of Alice, sister of James Lawrence (father of Sir John).

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Johnson@21:1/5 to All on Sun Oct 31 11:03:29 2021
    The John Rigmanden who m Catherine Pennington in or about 1489 while both of their parents were *yet living* is called in 1489 the heir of his yet living father Nicholas of Wedacre

So the IPM you found cannot be this same Nicholas

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From taf@21:1/5 to taf on Sun Oct 31 10:21:38 2021
    On Sunday, October 31, 2021 at 10:09:10 AM UTC-7, taf wrote:
    The other heirs were John Butler aged 25 and grandson of Elizabeth Lawrence, John Skillicorne aged 40 and son of Agnes Lawrence, and Elizabeth Hesketh, great-granddaughter of Alice Lawrence. If Thomas really was 24, he would more fit as grandson of another sister, rather than simply son.

Oops, left out Elizabeth Hesketh's age: she was 16.

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Johnson@21:1/5 to Will Johnson on Sun Oct 31 11:05:00 2021
    On Sunday, October 31, 2021 at 11:03:30 AM UTC-7, Will Johnson wrote:
    The John Rigmanden who m Catherine Pennington in or about 1489 while both of their parents were *yet living* is called in 1489 the heir of his yet living father Nicholas of Wedacre

Aaaaaaaahhhhhhh
    Sorry about that. I see that you can saying it calls Nicholas the "grandson" Therefore this is the elder Nicholas from the Vis Lanc 1567 and the intervening son has d.v.p.

Mea culpa

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Johnson@21:1/5 to All on Sun Oct 31 11:17:11 2021
    This also represents an addition to Genealogics.

Leo is showing Margaret and Elizabeth Pennington but not the Catherine who married John Ridmayden in or about 1489

https://www.genealogics.org/getperson.php?personID=I00673994&tree=LEO

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Johnson@21:1/5 to All on Sun Oct 31 13:00:10 2021
    I would like to suggest a possible resolution to the question of "Who the hell was Margaret Kaye" ?

As I was pounding away at these families I happened to come acrost a Margaret Kaye curiously enough

Peter /Frescheville/ of Staveley, co Derby
    son of
    Peter /Frescheville/ of Staveley, co Derby; Knt 1544; "aet 15 1/2" 30 Apr 20H8 (1528); minor in 1519, livery in 1534 d 8 Nov 1558 by his wife Elizabeth /Tempest/ daughter of Richard /Tempest/ of Bealraper and Ewerby (as Lord); Knt 1513 and his wife
    Rosamond /Bolling/ heir apparent of her father 1497; "aged 26 and more" 1502

This Peter (Jr) married firstly Elizabeth /Clifton/ daughter of Gervase /Clifton/ of Clifton, co Nott; Knt (can someone identify the wife here??)

By this first wife he had
    Frances /Frescheville/ m 11 Jul 1574 Saint Margaret, Westminster (Batch M001601 wj) Gervase /Holles/ , Knt
    and
    Elizabeth /Frescheville/ living 1591 m William /Tyrwhitt/ of Ketilby, co Linc; esq Will dated 1 May, proved 3 Dec 1591 bur 8 Jul 1591 Bigby

BUT Peter had a second wife.....Margaret /Kaye/
    By this wife he had a male heir
    Peter /Frescheville/ of Staveley, co Derby; Knt; W

We are *given* that this boy was born exactly on 3 Mar 1575

HOW curious that some Margaret Kaye's husband just happened to have died a few years earlier

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From taf@21:1/5 to wjhons...@gmail.com on Sun Oct 31 12:33:01 2021
    On Sunday, October 31, 2021 at 11:05:02 AM UTC-7, wjhons...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Sunday, October 31, 2021 at 11:03:30 AM UTC-7, Will Johnson wrote:

Aaaaaaaahhhhhhh
    Sorry about that. I see that you can saying it calls Nicholas the "grandson" Therefore this is the elder Nicholas from the Vis Lanc 1567 and the intervening son has d.v.p.

Mea culpa

Right, I had the grandson marked as Margaret's husband, and I think the age given him by the ipm, "30 and more", is another of those ipm round-decade ages that shouldn't be interpreted as anything more precise than 'an adult, neither particularly young
    nor old'.

VCH Lancs covers the family:

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/lancs/vol7/pp315-320

See in particular note 25, which is citing Margaret's ipm as indicating she was mother of John, father of Thomas, so it looks like the John Lawrence ipm (or at least the abstract of it) has omitted a generation in giving the relationship between Thomas
    and Margaret.

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From taf@21:1/5 to wjhons...@gmail.com on Sun Oct 31 12:36:18 2021
    On Sunday, October 31, 2021 at 11:17:12 AM UTC-7, wjhons...@gmail.com wrote:
    This also represents an addition to Genealogics.

Leo is showing Margaret and Elizabeth Pennington but not the Catherine who married John Ridmayden in or about 1489

https://www.genealogics.org/getperson.php?personID=I00673994&tree=LEO

Also missing the first husband of Margaret Pennington, John Lamplogh.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Sl4pAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA228

Mss 70.B.3

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Johnson@21:1/5 to Will Johnson on Sun Oct 31 14:52:55 2021
    On Sunday, October 31, 2021 at 2:38:18 PM UTC-7, Will Johnson wrote:
    On Sunday, October 31, 2021 at 1:00:12 PM UTC-7, Will Johnson wrote:
    I would like to suggest a possible resolution to the question of "Who the hell was Margaret Kaye" ?

As I was pounding away at these families I happened to come acrost a Margaret Kaye curiously enough

son of
    Peter /Frescheville/ of Staveley, co Derby; Knt 1544; "aet 15 1/2" 30 Apr 20H8 (1528); minor in 1519, livery in 1534 d 8 Nov 1558 by his wife Elizabeth /Tempest/ daughter of Richard /Tempest/ of Bealraper and Ewerby (as Lord); Knt 1513 and his wife

This Peter (Jr) married firstly Elizabeth /Clifton/ daughter of Gervase /Clifton/ of Clifton, co Nott; Knt (can someone identify the wife here??)

Frances /Frescheville/ m 11 Jul 1574 Saint Margaret, Westminster (Batch M001601 wj) Gervase /Holles/ , Knt
    and
    Elizabeth /Frescheville/ living 1591 m William /Tyrwhitt/ of Ketilby, co Linc; esq Will dated 1 May, proved 3 Dec 1591 bur 8 Jul 1591 Bigby

HOW curious that some Margaret Kaye's husband just happened to have died a few years earlier
    Peter Frescheville by the way, illustrates that odd custom of the time, of buying wards and then marrying them into your family

Thomas /Tempest/ of Staveley, co Derby; under marshall at Tournay 1514-5 second son
    born 1481/1483
    had purchased the wardship of Peter
    and then, quite probably while he was yet a minor
    married him to his niece
    Elizabeth /Tempest/

It has just now struck me.
    THIS is the reason that Thomas Tempest is said to have been living at Staveley *because* he bought the wardship of Peter and therefore was living in his house....

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Johnson@21:1/5 to Will Johnson on Sun Oct 31 14:38:17 2021
    On Sunday, October 31, 2021 at 1:00:12 PM UTC-7, Will Johnson wrote:

son of

and

Peter Frescheville by the way, illustrates that odd custom of the time, of buying wards and then marrying them into your family

Thomas /Tempest/ of Staveley, co Derby; under marshall at Tournay 1514-5
    second son
    born 1481/1483
    had purchased the wardship of Peter
    and then, quite probably while he was yet a minor
    married him to his niece
    Elizabeth /Tempest/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Higgins@21:1/5 to Brad Verity on Sun Oct 31 15:36:19 2021
    I spent most of Saturday researching these Lawrences. In my last post yesterday afternoon I said I'd post more later "if time permitted", which it didn't on Saturday. I'll use Brad's excellent post as a framework to add more information that I found on
    Saturday and today.
    [snip]

"

His source appears to be a Lawrence pedigree in Misc. Gen. et Heraldica, 1st series, 1:199 (1868). (Oddly that pedigree is noted to be from the 1567 visitation of Lancashire, but it doesn’t appear in the full publication of that visitation in volume 81
    of the Chetham Society’s publications. Strange…but not important to our discussion).
    https://www.google.com/books/edition/Miscellanea_genealogica_et_heraldica/76xBAAAAcAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&bsq=%20199
    Note that the pedigree says that the two sons Thomas and John died “sans issue” – an immediate problem for the Wikitree pedigree.

https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Herald_and_Genealogist/tTpUAAAAcAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=lawrence+of+ashton&pg=PA214&printsec=frontcover

This H&G article was written to correct and extend the MGH pedigree referenced above, and it does a generally good job of that - although it gets a bit confused at the end.

VIII."):

[snip]

The VCH Lancashire article on Ashton also notes that John's elder brother Thomas died in 1504, presumably without issue since Ashton passed to John. But the author of the H&G pedigree attempts to introduce a supposed son of Thomas, called (conveniently)
    John Lawrence of Ramsey, to explain how another piece of Lawrence property went to a different branch of the Lawrence family. I think this is wrong and should be ignored.

The Wikitree entry for John Lawrence [Lawrence -922] is definitely not John Lawrence who died at Flodden and was the son of Sir James Lawrence and Eleanor Welles. But he was a real person, John Lawrence of Ramsey, Huntingdonshire [not Ramsley,
    Devonshire, as in the Wikitree entry] who died ca. 1538. The article from The Gentleman's Magazine, Volume 118, pg 12ff, cited in the Wikitree entry, gives some useful information on John Lawrence of Ramsey and his descendants.
    https://books.google.ca/books?id=7voRAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA12#v=onepage&q&f=false
    This was meant primarily to show the descent from John Lawrence of Ramsey to Henry Lawrence, who was President of the Council in the last years of Cromwell's Protectorate (and has a biography in ODNB). But it also notes that John Lawrence of Ramsey, had
    an uncle, another John Lawrence, who was the last abbot of Ramsey before the dissolution of the abbeys under Henry VIII. After digging around a bit on John the abbot, I came across a book which has a **possible** pedigree for the Lawrences of Ramsey and
    St. Ives (along with a pedigree of the Lawrences of Ashton). https://books.google.ca/books?id=7voRAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA12#v=onepage&q&f=false
    I have idea why the Lawrence familied should appear in a book regarding Sir Rhys ap Thomas, but the Lawrences of Ashton appear starting on p. 392 and The Lawrences of St. Ives (including Ramsey) start on p. 430. Note that the latter pedigree starts with
    a statement that the pedigree has not been substantiated and "is merely an attempt to make a connection with the Lancahsire family". But it's probably a better attempt in this regard than the concocted - and now clearly erroneous - effort in the
    Wikitree pedigree.

The bottom line is that the supposed royal descent for John Lawrence of Ramsey via Eleanor Wells, in the Wikitree pedigree which Paulo Caneido brought up to start this thread, is certainly incorrect.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paulo Ricardo Canedo@21:1/5 to All on Sun Oct 31 19:03:16 2021
    A domingo, 31 de outubro de 2021 à(s) 17:08:37 UTC, Brad Verity escreveu:
    On Sunday, October 31, 2021 at 6:51:51 AM UTC-7, wjhons...@gmail.com wrote:

Yes, Will, it is the same person. Thomas Radcliffe of Winmarleigh (1516-1538) married (settlement 17 Jan 1527), Isabel Boteler, dau of John Boteler of Rawcliffe Hall (1489-1534, descended from Edward I) and Anne Sherborn (d. 1541). The paternal
    grandparents of John Boteler were John Boteler, heir of Rawcliffe Hall and Elizabeth, dau of Robert Lawrence of Ashton Court (d. 1450).
    On Sunday, October 31, 2021 at 6:56:37 AM UTC-7, taf wrote:
    Thank you, Todd!
    On Sunday, October 31, 2021 at 7:40:47 AM UTC-7, michae...@gmail.com wrote:
    Douglas Richardson appears to me to have got the suggestion that James Lawrence and Eleanor Welles had children Robert, Agnes and Jane from Miscellanea Genealogica et Heraldica, Vol. I, 1868, p. 199, https://archive.org/details/
    miscellaneagenea112unse/page/n217/mode/2up. See the list of children at the bottom of the Laurence pedigree. This is one of the works Richardson cites.

Robert is described there as parson of Warton, Lancashire. The Victoria County History for Lancashire has a table of rectors and vicars of Warton which shows Sir James Lawrence presenting a Robert Lawrence to the living on 6 March 1489/90, with
    Richard Dudley succeeding Robert in 1507/8: 'The parish of Warton', in A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 8, ed. William Farrer and J Brownbill (London, 1914), pp. 151-161. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/lancs/vol8/
    pp151-161 [accessed 31 October 2021].
    Very interesting Michael, thank you. The Lawrence pedigree from the 1567 Visitation of Lancashire indicates that Jane Lawrence died young and Agnes (Lawrence) Tunstall died without issue. You've researched that Rev. Robert Lawrence of Warton died 1507/
    8, so it would seem that these three additional children of Sir James Lawrence of Ashton Court (c.1428-1490) and Eleanor (Welles) Lady Hoo, did indeed exist, and Agnes Tunstall had to have died before her brother's IPM was taken in 1513. I'll add these
    three Lawrence siblings into my database. And so the issue of Sir James Lawrence and Lady Hoo became extinct when their son John Lawrence fell at Flodden.
    On Sunday, October 31, 2021 at 8:07:59 AM UTC-7, Paulo Ricardo Canedo wrote:
    Paulo, back in 2016, I showed that Margaret Kaye, wife of William Lawrence (bur. 20 Dec. 1572), could not have been the granddaughter of John Kaye of Woodsome Hall (d. 1594) and Dorothy Mauleverer (c.1527-1591, descended from Edward III). However, she
    may indeed have been a daughter of an Edward Kaye and Anne Tyrwhitt, as Charles Browning had it in 1911. But if so, I don't believe that Anne (Tyrwhitt) Kaye was the daughter of Sir Robert Tyrwhitt of Kettleby Hall (c.1482-1548) and Maud Tailboys (
    descended from Edward I). Further research into William Lawrence (d. 1572) and his wife Margaret is definitely needed.

Cheers, ----Brad

Dear Brad, I was refering to "I got a laugh out of one royal ancestry for Thomas Lawrence going through the Lawrences. One person used a scan from a published genealogy to show that one Lawrence descended from another. Unfortunately the person never
    bothered to read the genealogy as it clearly said that this one Lawrence did not have children." Anyways, thanks for this.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paulo Ricardo Canedo@21:1/5 to All on Sun Oct 31 19:04:23 2021
    What about Katherine Beaumont's pedigree?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Cayley@21:1/5 to jhigg...@yahoo.com on Mon Nov 1 03:07:10 2021
    I am glad someone has confirmed my conclusion - that it looks as if the pedigree in the 1868 volume of Miscellanea Genealogica et Heraldica may be mistaken in claiming that it derives from the 1567 Visitation. I triple-checked yesterday evening the
    Chetham Society edition of the Visitation, and was starting to wonder if I was just missing something.

Robert Lawrence, listed as a son of Sir James in the 1868 pedigree, was presumably a relative of Sir James, who presented Robert to the living at Warton, Lancs (see an earlier contribution of mine to the conversation): but how he was related seems
    unclear. That is, though, a side issue and does not affect the conclusion that there is a mistake on WikiTree about the parents of John Lawrence, https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Lawrence-922. I will be detaching them, and am grateful for the research
    people here have undertaken.

On Sunday, 31 October 2021 at 22:36:20 UTC, jhigg...@yahoo.com wrote:
    I spent most of Saturday researching these Lawrences. In my last post yesterday afternoon I said I'd post more later "if time permitted", which it didn't on Saturday. I'll use Brad's excellent post as a framework to add more information that I found on
    Saturday and today.
    His source appears to be a Lawrence pedigree in Misc. Gen. et Heraldica, 1st series, 1:199 (1868). (Oddly that pedigree is noted to be from the 1567 visitation of Lancashire, but it doesn’t appear in the full publication of that visitation in volume
    81 of the Chetham Society’s publications. Strange…but not important to our discussion).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From taf@21:1/5 to michae...@gmail.com on Mon Nov 1 05:20:16 2021
    On Monday, November 1, 2021 at 3:07:12 AM UTC-7, michae...@gmail.com wrote:
    I am glad someone has confirmed my conclusion - that it looks as if the pedigree in the 1868
    volume of Miscellanea Genealogica et Heraldica may be mistaken in claiming that it derives
    from the 1567 Visitation. I triple-checked yesterday evening the Chetham Society edition of
    the Visitation, and was starting to wonder if I was just missing something.

Neither the Misc Gen & Her version nor the Chetham version are based on the 'original' visitation in the College of Arms. Both are based on deriviative copies (Harleian Ms 6159 and 2086 respectively) and presumably have both copying errors and '
    augmentations' made by the original copyists (16th century College of Arms heralds) or later owners who acquired the manuscripts through the private antiquarian manuscript trade before the manuscripts passed to the British Library. As always, one is
    well served to read the manuscript history and analysis given at the start of the Chetham edition. For catalogue description of the manuscripts, see:

https://books.google.com/books?id=XqZJAAAAcAAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false at page 457
    https://books.google.com/books?id=3aZJAAAAcAAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false at page 333

Misc Gen & Her is explicit that their information is from the Harleian MS 6159 copy of the Visitation of Lancashire. It is possible this represents an addition made by the author of the Misc Gen Her particle, either intentionally or due to error, but
    this seems unlikely. More likely, this was an addition made in that Harleian manuscript not found in the original visitation, added either by the copyist of a subsequent owner. However, it is also possible that this is authentic information found in
    the original visitation, but was omitted, by error or intent, from the copy used by the Chetham Society for their publication.

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Johnny Brananas@21:1/5 to Brad Verity on Mon Nov 1 06:48:51 2021
    On Sunday, October 31, 2021 at 3:13:00 AM UTC-4, Brad Verity wrote:
    O

Cheers, -----Brad

I believe Eleanor Skillicorne/ Skellicorne was the wife of Evan Haughton or Houghton, and that they were ancestors of Joshua Henshaw of Massachusetts via later Evan Houghtons.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Higgins@21:1/5 to Paulo Ricardo Canedo on Mon Nov 1 09:48:00 2021
    On Sunday, October 31, 2021 at 7:04:24 PM UTC-7, Paulo Ricardo Canedo wrote:
    I can quickly confirm the ancestry of Catherine/Katherine Beaumont down to her parents Richard Beaumont of Whitley and Katherine Neville of Liversedge, but I can't connect the daughter Catherine to these parents. It might be wise to take heed of this
    note in her Wikitree Profile (which I'm sure you've noticed already):
    "The parents listed for this individual are speculative and may not be based on sound genealogical research. Sources to prove or disprove this ancestry are needed. Please contact the Profile Manager or leave information on the bulletin board."

This Catherine Beamount was discussed briefly and inconclusively in a thread here back in 2008, before it wandered off on a tangential (and irrelevant) discussion about Medlands).
    https://groups.google.com/g/soc.genealogy.medieval/c/7V06Bcw0okk/m/6b5HI2c1MRsJ You may want to follow the suggestion I made in that thread:
    "If you haven't already, you may want to look at www.beaumontfamily.com, especially its link to a downloadable version of the 1929 book "The
    Beaumonts in History". I can't vouch for the total accuracy of the
    latter item, but it might be worth checking out."

At the moment, however, I'd say that Catherine Beaumont's ancestry is dubious at best - not unusual for Wikitree stuff as we've seen frequently.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Higgins@21:1/5 to John Higgins on Tue Nov 2 10:35:03 2021
    On Monday, November 1, 2021 at 9:48:02 AM UTC-7, John Higgins wrote:
    I can quickly confirm the ancestry of Catherine/Katherine Beaumont down to her parents Richard Beaumont of Whitley and Katherine Neville of Liversedge, but I can't connect the daughter Catherine to these parents. It might be wise to take heed of this
    "The parents listed for this individual are speculative and may not be based on sound genealogical research. Sources to prove or disprove this ancestry are needed. Please contact the Profile Manager or leave information on the bulletin board."

This Catherine Beamount was discussed briefly and inconclusively in a thread here back in 2008, before it wandered off on a tangential (and irrelevant) discussion about Medlands).
    https://groups.google.com/g/soc.genealogy.medieval/c/7V06Bcw0okk/m/6b5HI2c1MRsJ
    You may want to follow the suggestion I made in that thread:
    "If you haven't already, you may want to look at www.beaumontfamily.com, especially its link to a downloadable version of the 1929 book "The Beaumonts in History". I can't vouch for the total accuracy of the

At the moment, however, I'd say that Catherine Beaumont's ancestry is dubious at best - not unusual for Wikitree stuff as we've seen frequently.
    In checking my files, I found that I had downloaded "the Beaumonts in History" about 10 years ago. It does not show a daughter Catherine for the parents given to her in the Wikitree pedigree. So I think you can chalk this up as another Wikitree error...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Johnson@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 2 13:43:10 2021
    In checking my files, I found that I had downloaded "the Beaumonts in History" about 10 years ago. It does not show a daughter Catherine for the parents given to her in the Wikitree pedigree. So I think you can chalk this up as another Wikitree error...

Also Dugdale's Yorkshire

https://archive.org/details/dugdalesvisitati03dugd/page/220/mode/2up?view=theater

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Johnson@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 2 13:38:15 2021
    In case you've not already found this I will point out an issue with that original 2008 thread.

The OP links in three trees from Rootsweb, which links...No Longer Work.
    That is, they do not go to the cited parents, or person at all, must to indexes.

Ancestry in their infinite wisdom, first entirely removed Rootsweb, and then after *much* outcry, put up a bastardized version which is ... almost... completely ... worthless.

So goes decades of research. Thanks Ancestry

Always wiser to have your own website

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Higgins@21:1/5 to wjhons...@gmail.com on Tue Nov 2 16:30:02 2021
    On Tuesday, November 2, 2021 at 1:38:16 PM UTC-7, wjhons...@gmail.com wrote:
    In case you've not already found this I will point out an issue with that original 2008 thread.

That is, they do not go to the cited parents, or person at all, must to indexes.

Ancestry in their infinite wisdom, first entirely removed Rootsweb, and then after *much* outcry, put up a bastardized version which is ... almost... completely ... worthless.

Since you're pointing out dead links in the 2008 thread, here is another link from that same thread that is also dead - and that you might be familiar with. :-)
    http://www.countyhistorian.com/cecilweb/index.php/Sources

At that time, you said that you had "collated all major sources of medieval genealogy" on your website. Must have been a pretty impressive work - now lost to the ages, it seems....even perhaps "decades of research" lost. :-)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paulo Ricardo Canedo@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 2 17:11:39 2021
    A terça-feira, 2 de novembro de 2021 à(s) 17:35:05 UTC, jhigg...@yahoo.com escreveu:
    On Monday, November 1, 2021 at 9:48:02 AM UTC-7, John Higgins wrote:

https://groups.google.com/g/soc.genealogy.medieval/c/7V06Bcw0okk/m/6b5HI2c1MRsJ
    You may want to follow the suggestion I made in that thread:
    "If you haven't already, you may want to look at www.beaumontfamily.com, especially its link to a downloadable version of the 1929 book "The Beaumonts in History". I can't vouch for the total accuracy of the

Thanks for this, John.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Johnson@21:1/5 to jhigg...@yahoo.com on Tue Nov 2 18:03:40 2021
    On Tuesday, November 2, 2021 at 4:30:05 PM UTC-7, jhigg...@yahoo.com wrote:

The OP links in three trees from Rootsweb, which links...No Longer Work. That is, they do not go to the cited parents, or person at all, must to indexes.

Since you're pointing out dead links in the 2008 thread, here is another link from that same thread that is also dead - and that you might be familiar with. :-)

At that time, you said that you had "collated all major sources of medieval genealogy" on your website. Must have been a pretty impressive work - now lost to the ages, it seems....even perhaps "decades of research" lost. :-)

No it's just misdirected pointer for the entire server
    The work is still there, you just can't get to it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Higgins@21:1/5 to wjhons...@gmail.com on Tue Nov 2 21:49:55 2021
    On Tuesday, November 2, 2021 at 6:03:43 PM UTC-7, wjhons...@gmail.com wrote:

The OP links in three trees from Rootsweb, which links...No Longer Work. That is, they do not go to the cited parents, or person at all, must to indexes.

That's effectively a dead link - it leads nowhere. What you're saying is just semantics. If it's not dead, why don't you get the misdirected pointer fixed?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Johnson@21:1/5 to jhigg...@yahoo.com on Wed Nov 3 10:12:51 2021
    On Tuesday, November 2, 2021 at 9:49:57 PM UTC-7, jhigg...@yahoo.com wrote:
    On Tuesday, November 2, 2021 at 6:03:43 PM UTC-7, wjhons...@gmail.com wrote:

That's effectively a dead link - it leads nowhere. What you're saying is just semantics. If it's not dead, why don't you get the misdirected pointer fixed?

Not the same no.
    Some dead links are actually pages which have been removed.
    These pages have not been removed, they are present, you just can't get to them.
    I don't feel the need to go into a deep discussion about how URLs work.
    Fixing the pointer is not under my control. They claim to be working on it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05