• Re: Grimstead [was: A slew of wrong names]

From John Higgins@21:1/5 to kristinah...@gmail.com on Thu Nov 25 20:41:14 2021
    On Thursday, November 25, 2021 at 7:25:07 PM UTC-8, kristinah...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Tuesday, October 26, 2021 at 5:01:57 PM UTC-4, wjhons...@gmail.com wrote:
    There is a will for a Valentine Grimstead of Spital Square , Middlesex dated 1809 in which he mentions his "nephew Joseph Valentine Grimstead"'
    In response to this, the name Valentine has been in the Grimstead family since as early as the 17th century (that is at least as early as I have found documented, it is still used in my family today), and I would have to check the documents I have, but
    off the top of my head I am almost certain that Thomas Grimstead was Joseph Valentine's father, Thomas being Valentine's brother, and both Thomas and Valentine were the son of a Valentine Grimstead. So that should check out with Joseph Valentine being
    Valentine's nephew.
    It's great to hear from a descendant of Joseph Valentine Grimstead!! As you probably realize, that makes you a [rather distant) cousin of Queen Elizabeth II.

I think the current state of knowledge (in this group, at least) regarding the Grimstead family is reflected in this pedigree from the Genealogics database:
    https://www.genealogics.org/pedigree.php?personID=I00004682&tree=LEO&parentset=0&display=standard&generations=6

I know there are a number of people in this group who would be quite interested in knowing if you could provide information that could extend the Grimstead line further back, as this one one of the the first "dead ends" presently encountered in the Queen'
    s ancestry. Any further information on the Grimstead famile (with sources, if possible) would be very welcome here.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From John Higgins@21:1/5 to John Higgins on Thu Nov 25 20:49:49 2021
    On Thursday, November 25, 2021 at 8:41:16 PM UTC-8, John Higgins wrote:
    On Thursday, November 25, 2021 at 7:25:07 PM UTC-8, kristinah...@gmail.com wrote:
    There is a will for a Valentine Grimstead of Spital Square , Middlesex dated 1809 in which he mentions his "nephew Joseph Valentine Grimstead"'
    In response to this, the name Valentine has been in the Grimstead family since as early as the 17th century (that is at least as early as I have found documented, it is still used in my family today), and I would have to check the documents I have,
    but off the top of my head I am almost certain that Thomas Grimstead was Joseph Valentine's father, Thomas being Valentine's brother, and both Thomas and Valentine were the son of a Valentine Grimstead. So that should check out with Joseph Valentine
    being Valentine's nephew.
    It's great to hear from a descendant of Joseph Valentine Grimstead!! As you probably realize, that makes you a [rather distant) cousin of Queen Elizabeth II.

I think the current state of knowledge (in this group, at least) regarding the Grimstead family is reflected in this pedigree from the Genealogics database:
    https://www.genealogics.org/pedigree.php?personID=I00004682&tree=LEO&parentset=0&display=standard&generations=6

I know there are a number of people in this group who would be quite interested in knowing if you could provide information that could extend the Grimstead line further back, as this one one of the the first "dead ends" presently encountered in the
    Queen's ancestry. Any further information on the Grimstead famile (with sources, if possible) would be very welcome here.

BTW there appear to be a couple of royal descents behind Eleanor Creswick, the mother of Joseph Valentine Grimstead, but they're quite remote. The most recent royal descent from an English king appears to be from King John "Lackland" of Magna Carta fame.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Higgins@21:1/5 to John Higgins on Fri Nov 26 12:06:37 2021
    On Thursday, November 25, 2021 at 8:49:51 PM UTC-8, John Higgins wrote:
    On Thursday, November 25, 2021 at 8:41:16 PM UTC-8, John Higgins wrote:
    In response to this, the name Valentine has been in the Grimstead family since as early as the 17th century (that is at least as early as I have found documented, it is still used in my family today), and I would have to check the documents I have,
    but off the top of my head I am almost certain that Thomas Grimstead was Joseph Valentine's father, Thomas being Valentine's brother, and both Thomas and Valentine were the son of a Valentine Grimstead. So that should check out with Joseph Valentine

I know there are a number of people in this group who would be quite interested in knowing if you could provide information that could extend the Grimstead line further back, as this one one of the the first "dead ends" presently encountered in the
    Queen's ancestry. Any further information on the Grimstead famile (with sources, if possible) would be very welcome here.
    BTW there appear to be a couple of royal descents behind Eleanor Creswick, the mother of Joseph Valentine Grimstead, but they're quite remote. The most recent royal descent from an English king appears to be from King John "Lackland" of Magna Carta
    fame..
    I spoke too quickly regarding the royal descents for Eleanor Creswick, the mother of Joseph Valentine Grimstead. They depend on the parentage of Petronell Chudleigh, wife of Anthony Pollard, which may be uncertain and which I've asked about in another
    thread today.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From taf@21:1/5 to jhigg...@yahoo.com on Fri Nov 26 15:50:28 2021
    On Friday, November 26, 2021 at 12:06:39 PM UTC-8, jhigg...@yahoo.com wrote:

I spoke too quickly regarding the royal descents for Eleanor Creswick, the mother of Joseph Valentine Grimstead. They depend on the parentage of Petronell Chudleigh, wife of Anthony Pollard, which may be uncertain and which I've asked about in another
    thread today.

Petronell still descends from Joan Champernowne, so if one accepts either the Richard of Cornwall or Robert of Gloucester descents claimed for her ancestry, the royal descent would be valid.

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paulo Ricardo Canedo@21:1/5 to All on Fri Nov 26 17:56:11 2021
    He has a profile at Wikitree.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Higgins@21:1/5 to Paulo Ricardo Canedo on Fri Nov 26 21:13:35 2021
    On Friday, November 26, 2021 at 5:56:12 PM UTC-8, Paulo Ricardo Canedo wrote:
    WHO???

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paulo Ricardo Canedo@21:1/5 to All on Sat Nov 27 03:19:03 2021
    A sábado, 27 de novembro de 2021 à(s) 05:13:36 UTC, jhigg...@yahoo.com escreveu:
    WHO???

Sorry. I didn't say as I was about to go to sleep and thought you would understand from the context. I meant Joseph Valentine Grimstead.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Higgins@21:1/5 to Paulo Ricardo Canedo on Sat Nov 27 10:18:10 2021
    On Saturday, November 27, 2021 at 3:19:04 AM UTC-8, Paulo Ricardo Canedo wrote:
    A sábado, 27 de novembro de 2021 à(s) 05:13:36 UTC, jhigg...@yahoo.com escreveu:
    WHO???
    Sorry. I didn't say as I was about to go to sleep and thought you would understand from the context. I meant Joseph Valentine Grimstead.
    Here is the pedigree that you're presumably refering to: https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Grimstead-9

At least in the Grimstead line, it seems to have the usual high-quality sources that we've come to expect from Wikitree: mainly references to other online databases which are themselves unsourced (e.g., thepeerage.com. fabpedigree).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Kristina Hamill@21:1/5 to jhigg...@yahoo.com on Mon Dec 6 15:43:40 2021
    On Thursday, November 25, 2021 at 11:41:16 PM UTC-5, jhigg...@yahoo.com wrote:

Sorry! Just seeing this now as for some reason it went to my spam folder... but yes, the queen is my fourth cousin three times removed (I believe, might be iffy on the removed bit but I'm answering this from school and not able to double check),
    basically our great grandparents were second cousins, to put it in simpler terms. Obviously we're not chummy or anything, when I discovered the grimstead-boweslyon link only a few of my older relatives knew about it, so it's safe to say we don't get
    cards from lizzy at christmas lol. But I will definitely look through my research and see what I can find, I agree with it being somewhat of a dead end as even when it seems I find information the sources are super iffy. But since I'm in class, the only
    intriguing thing I could add right now would be some family tree's/documents CLAIMING, and I mean heavy on the claiming, I highly doubt it's credible, that Charlotte Sarah Jane Walsh is a/is a daughter of polish immigrants? That their name was originally
    a form of wolowski and was changed to walsh, like I said I haven't found any credible sources to support this but I thought I'd throw it out there as it's something I've been looking into the credibility of. I'll update when I'm home/have found some
    things to share.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Kristina Hamill@21:1/5 to Kristina Hamill on Mon Dec 6 18:50:59 2021
    On Monday, December 6, 2021 at 9:27:41 PM UTC-5, Kristina Hamill wrote:
    On Monday, December 6, 2021 at 8:05:55 PM UTC-5, Kristina Hamill wrote:
    There is a will for a Valentine Grimstead of Spital Square , Middlesex
    dated 1809 in which he mentions his "nephew Joseph Valentine Grimstead"'
    In response to this, the name Valentine has been in the Grimstead family since as early as the 17th century (that is at least as early as I have found documented, it is still used in my family today), and I would have to check the documents I
    have, but off the top of my head I am almost certain that Thomas Grimstead was Joseph Valentine's father, Thomas being Valentine's brother, and both Thomas and Valentine were the son of a Valentine Grimstead. So that should check out with Joseph
    Valentine being Valentine's nephew.

Sorry! Just seeing this now as for some reason it went to my spam folder... but yes, the queen is my fourth cousin three times removed (I believe, might be iffy on the removed bit but I'm answering this from school and not able to double check),
    basically our great grandparents were second cousins, to put it in simpler terms. Obviously we're not chummy or anything, when I discovered the grimstead-boweslyon link only a few of my older relatives knew about it, so it's safe to say we don't get
    cards from lizzy at christmas lol. But I will definitely look through my research and see what I can find, I agree with it being somewhat of a dead end as even when it seems I find information the sources are super iffy. But since I'm in class, the only
    intriguing thing I could add right now would be some family tree's/documents CLAIMING, and I mean heavy on the claiming, I highly doubt it's credible, that Charlotte Sarah Jane Walsh is a/is a daughter of polish immigrants? That their name was originally
    a form of wolowski and was changed to walsh, like I said I haven't found any credible sources to support this but I thought I'd throw it out there as it's something I've been looking into the credibility of. I'll update when I'm home/have found some
    things to share.
    Sorry, brain all addled as I was trying to answer from a seminar, I meant that current Queen Elizabeth and my grandmother's great grandparents were second cousins. My branch's pedigree is as follows, Joseph Valentine Grimstead > William Grimstead (
    immigrated to the colonies, now newfoundland) > John Grimstead (immigrated to north-central ontario) > George Grimstead (immigrated to southern ontario) > Roy W. Grimstead > My grandmother who is still living. Her sister is the only person I know of
    recently to be given the name Valentine, she has passed but it was her middle name. I'm going to dig up my info on the curious case of the Walsh's right now.

Alright, so the claim is that Charlotte's sister Mary (Who is the mother of Charlotte Lady Glamis' mother in law, so the Walsh's had previously married into the Bowes-Lyon's before Charlotte Grimstead did, so that may explain how she married in, as her
    husband was her first cousin's son) was born in Czestochowa, Częstochowa County, Silesian Voivodeship, Poland. Trying to find an actual source other than family tree's to prove this. It has Frederick Wolowski (Walsh) and Elizabeth Kinnor (Connor) listed
    as the parents, though seems as though Charlotte and other siblings were born in England. one sec. This is frustrating.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Kristina Hamill@21:1/5 to Kristina Hamill on Mon Dec 6 18:27:39 2021
    On Monday, December 6, 2021 at 8:05:55 PM UTC-5, Kristina Hamill wrote:

things to share.

Sorry, brain all addled as I was trying to answer from a seminar, I meant that current Queen Elizabeth and my grandmother's great grandparents were second cousins. My branch's pedigree is as follows, Joseph Valentine Grimstead > William Grimstead (
    immigrated to the colonies, now newfoundland) > John Grimstead (immigrated to north-central ontario) > George Grimstead (immigrated to southern ontario) > Roy W. Grimstead > My grandmother who is still living. Her sister is the only person I know of
    recently to be given the name Valentine, she has passed but it was her middle name. I'm going to dig up my info on the curious case of the Walsh's right now.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Aimee Layton@21:1/5 to All on Sat Feb 4 20:33:13 2023
    oh and yea they were sisters if you go to Walsh of Redbourne https://homepages.rootsweb.com/~walsh/england.html

and the will of John Walsh https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-content/view/420604:5111?ssrc=pt&tid=188841216&pid=242448351807

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Aimee Layton@21:1/5 to All on Sat Feb 4 20:32:04 2023
    My great grandmother came here from NS and would tell stories of our ancestors. her and my great grandfather were first cousins because that is how they did it. i also have a victorian cross from Queen Victoria for Frederick Simmonds, deputy surveyor
    after Menzies. Anyway, it is a family tree she had for years. Hope it helps. I can only upload link not the pic!

https://www.wikitree.com/photo.php/a/a7/Simmons-15019-2.jpg

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05