• Children of Sir William Calthorpe and Elizabeth Stapleton- John?

From Darrell E. Larocque@21:1/5 to All on Sun Oct 24 19:50:05 2021
    In Magna Carta Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families, 2nd Edition, p. 110:

ELIZABETH STAPLETON (d. of Sir Miles/Katherine de la Pole) ... she married ... WILLIAM CALTHORPE (s. of Sir John/Anne Wythe):

"They had three sons, Edward, Francis, Knt., and John"

I have been unable to find any reference to their son John anywhere, and I have been looking in the sources named on the following page (p. 111). This is frustrating and I am hoping that some clarification can be offered so I'm not pulling the few amount
    of hairs I have left out of my head.

Thank you!

D. E. Larocque

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Greg Cooke@21:1/5 to Darrell E. Larocque on Tue Oct 26 10:20:52 2021
    On Sunday, October 24, 2021 at 7:50:06 PM UTC-7, Darrell E. Larocque wrote:
    In Magna Carta Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families, 2nd Edition, p. 110:

ELIZABETH STAPLETON (d. of Sir Miles/Katherine de la Pole) ... she married ... WILLIAM CALTHORPE (s. of Sir John/Anne Wythe):

"They had three sons, Edward, Francis, Knt., and John"

I have been unable to find any reference to their son John anywhere, and I have been looking in the sources named on the following page (p. 111). This is frustrating and I am hoping that some clarification can be offered so I'm not pulling the few
    amount of hairs I have left out of my head.

Thank you!

D. E. Larocque

Darrell,

I suspect the John you are looking for does not exist. In the sketch you'll see William also had a son John by his first wife. Per William's will, (abstracted in Wedgewood's HoP, 150n(1), this John died before his father leaving a son Philip who was
    William's heir. William's will mentions no other son John. I don't have the 2nd ed. of MCS, but in the first ed., there was no son John by the 2nd wife. RA (2013) 5:37-38 shows two sons named John, one by each wife.

Perhaps Douglas will weigh in and explain his reasoning.

Greg

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Darrell E. Larocque@21:1/5 to All on Tue Oct 26 13:08:15 2021
    Greg,

Thanks for the response! Dealing with five spouses between the two of them children can be misattributed and I didn't want to go forth with John as a son of Elizabeth Stapleton if I couldn't find another source. The ones that I have gone through never
    mentions him, and of course there is always the possibility that a child died in infancy, but as he already had a son named John who had a son, this possibility seems extremely remote. I'd love to hear what Douglas has to say about this for clarification
    purposes!

Darrell

Darrell,

I suspect the John you are looking for does not exist. In the sketch you'll see William also had a son John by his first wife. Per William's will, (abstracted in Wedgewood's HoP, 150n(1), this John died before his father leaving a son Philip who was
    William's heir. William's will mentions no other son John. I don't have the 2nd ed. of MCS, but in the first ed., there was no son John by the 2nd wife. RA (2013) 5:37-38 shows two sons named John, one by each wife.

Perhaps Douglas will weigh in and explain his reasoning.

Greg

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05