• BBC article suggesting King Charles is a relation of most everybody

From JBrand@21:1/5 to All on Fri May 5 14:56:10 2023
    https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20230503-coronation-of-king-charles-iii-do-you-carry-royal-dna

Of course, there is no mention of the highly inbred nature of royal families, which can have hundreds of lines to the present from, say, a 13th- or 14th- century ruler.

Nor any mention that even commoners _can_ be, and often are, highly inbred, or at least have multiple, remote or remote-ish, segments or sections in their ancestry in which all parties were inbred (multiple ways).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to JBrand on Sat May 6 08:58:29 2023
    On 06-May-23 7:56 AM, JBrand wrote:
    https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20230503-coronation-of-king-charles-iii-do-you-carry-royal-dna

Of course, there is no mention of the highly inbred nature of royal families, which can have hundreds of lines to the present from, say, a 13th- or 14th- century ruler.

Nor any mention that even commoners _can_ be, and often are, highly inbred, or at least have multiple, remote or remote-ish, segments or sections in their ancestry in which all parties were inbred (multiple ways).

It seems more prudent to say that the British royal family of today is
    somewhat linebred rather than "highly inbred" - the parents of King
    Charles III were third cousins, probably a similar degree of
    consanguinity to many commoners in the past although not so much nowadays.

In my own case one of my maternal great-grandmothers as a widow married
    one of my paternal great-granduncles, but I am not descended from this marriage. The first known common ancestor of my parents was living in
    the mid-18th century. This is probably more typical of the world-wide Anglo-Celtic population than any lineage that could be meaningfully
    called inbred.

Many people with English ancestry might find Edward III as their closest crowned-head connection if they could get back far enough. Multiple
    lines to him in most cases would reflect endogamy based on geographic
    proximity and/or religious confession: broadly, villagers marrying
    meetable eligible partners within walking/riding distance, or in US
    gateway terms Quakers marrying other Quakers, Episcopalians other Episcopalians, etc. Not "high" inbreeding in the vast majotiy of
    instances. The Habsburgs and Bourbons have left royalty in general with
    a largely inaccurate reputation.

Peter Stewart

--
    This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software.
    www.avg.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Stewart Baldwin@21:1/5 to Peter Stewart on Fri May 5 21:46:15 2023
    On Friday, May 5, 2023 at 5:59:57 PM UTC-5, Peter Stewart wrote:
    On 06-May-23 7:56 AM, JBrand wrote:
    . . .
    It seems more prudent to say that the British royal family of today is somewhat linebred rather than "highly inbred" - the parents of King
    Charles III were third cousins, probably a similar degree of
    consanguinity to many commoners in the past although not so much nowadays.

In my own case one of my maternal great-grandmothers as a widow married
    one of my paternal great-granduncles, but I am not descended from this marriage. The first known common ancestor of my parents was living in
    the mid-18th century. This is probably more typical of the world-wide Anglo-Celtic population than any lineage that could be meaningfully
    called inbred.

Despite having considerable success tracing the ancestry of all four of my grandparents, I have yet to find any documented evidence that any two of them were related to each other. In addition, neither of my grandfathers has any traced duplications in
    their ancestry. I have traced three duplications among my maternal grandmother's ancestors, all concerning marriages of either first cousins or first cousins once removed. One concerns a fairly well-known Doggett-Lappage marriage in Suffolk having lots
    of descendants (or at least claimed descendants) who include them in their trees, while the other two involve obscure Yorkshire families which might not be of interest to more than a handful of people other than me. In contrast to this, it would take me
    quite a while to count how many duplicated ancestors I have traced for my paternal grandmother, a descendant of German immigrants whose ancestors mostly lived in one small area of Hessen. The closet of these is a second cousin match, with numerous third
    and fourth and more distant cousin matches.

Stewart Baldwin

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ian Goddard@21:1/5 to Peter Stewart on Sat May 6 09:24:50 2023
    Peter Stewart wrote:
    The first known common ancestor of my parents was living in the mid-18th century. This is probably more typical of the world-wide Anglo-Celtic population than any lineage that could be meaningfully called inbred.

So far I haven't found a common ancestor of my parents although that may
    be because they came from villages about 5 or 6 miles apart which,
    possibly more significantly, were in different manors. I've found one
    shared surname but any common ancestor would need to be in the C17th or earlier.

However my mother's ancestry has quite a number of second cousin marriages.

On my father's side my grandmother has 4 lines of descent to a C17th
    couple and my grandfather has a further line to them. She also had 2
    lines of descent to another C17th couple. All in all, due to
    duplications, she has about 5/6th of the number of ancestors one would
    expect although there are a few dead ends so there might be further undiscovered duplication.

I have one common name, Newton, on both sides of that family but haven't connected them. What I do have is a lot of Kaye lines most if not all
    of whom will descend from the 6 legitimate sons and one illegitimate of
    John Kaye of Woodsome living in the C14th. I'm making progress with
    some of them.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From pj.evans88@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Ian Goddard on Sat May 6 08:23:25 2023
    On Saturday, May 6, 2023 at 1:26:54 AM UTC-7, Ian Goddard wrote:
    Peter Stewart wrote:
    The first known common ancestor of my parents was living in the mid-18th century. This is probably more typical of the world-wide Anglo-Celtic population than any lineage that could be meaningfully called inbred.
    So far I haven't found a common ancestor of my parents although that may
    be because they came from villages about 5 or 6 miles apart which,
    possibly more significantly, were in different manors. I've found one
    shared surname but any common ancestor would need to be in the C17th or earlier.

However my mother's ancestry has quite a number of second cousin marriages.

On my father's side my grandmother has 4 lines of descent to a C17th
    couple and my grandfather has a further line to them. She also had 2
    lines of descent to another C17th couple. All in all, due to
    duplications, she has about 5/6th of the number of ancestors one would expect although there are a few dead ends so there might be further undiscovered duplication.

I have one common name, Newton, on both sides of that family but haven't connected them. What I do have is a lot of Kaye lines most if not all
    of whom will descend from the 6 legitimate sons and one illegitimate of
    John Kaye of Woodsome living in the C14th. I'm making progress with
    some of them.

My parents are second cousins (father's maternal grandfather and mother's paternal grandmother were siblings, though born more than 15 years apart), and there are known cousin marriages earlier in my father's ancestry. I sometimes refer to my tree as
    having three sides: his, hers, and theirs.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05