• Re: Richard Pritchard = Hester Freame

From Hikaru Kitabayashi@21:1/5 to . . on Wed Apr 26 04:23:08 2023
    On Wednesday, September 28, 2011 at 7:44:36 AM UTC+9, . . wrote:
    Dear List,

A while back my sister passed away and while looking at her genealogy file, I was surprised to find the following:

"Richard Pritchard father of Elizabeth Pritchard who married Edward Dudley, was married to Hester Freame daughter of
    Mayor Richard Freame, Mayor of Gloster. who was married to Mary Horne, father unknown."

While I have looked at a lot of sources and have endeavored to locate her source for the connection, I am still at a loss.
    Normally my sister was VERY strict when it came to sources, notations and dates but in this case what i have noted is
    all she wrote.

If any other researchers can shed some light and direct me to a source for the marriage of Richard Prichard and Hester "Freame"
    It would help me understand this family line a bit more. Her file takes this line back to Sir. Thomas Morgan and Jane Herbert,
    this being a "gateway" line.

All I have been able to fine to date regarding the "Freame" family is thus:

*** http://books.google.com/books?id=SZ1A66KjVisC&lpg=PA437&ots=-XZEvdw5cZ&dq=gloster%20%22thomas%20freame%22&pg=PA437#v=onepage&q&f=false

Notes and queries, By Oxford Journals (Firm), Page 437
    The arms of Freame are thus described in Rudder's 'Hist, of Gloucestershire,' Cirencester, 1779, p. 293:—
    "Against the east wall of the chancel [Bisley] is a monument with an inscription for Thomas Freame, of Lypiat, Esq., who died in 1659, and his arms, viz., (1) Azure, a cross flory gules between eight ears of ripe wheat, stalked and pendent, proper; (2)
    a fess between three birds; and opposite to it is a handsome monument and memorial in Latin for William Freame, his son, with his effigy holding a book in his hand. He died in 1696."
    See also, for the family, p. 713.
    Ed. Marshall, F.S.A.
    V~ Glos 1623 Page 62 - 63 Freame Pedigree. [Hester Freame = Richard Prichett]
    Newcastle,England,
    ELLIOTT
    FREAME, PRICHARD
    FREAME, Richard - of Gloucester, chandler. [A chandler was the head of the chandlery in medieval households, responsible for wax, candles, and soap...etc.]
    bro Henry;
    sis Hester PRICHARD, & Sara FREAME.
    Executors: Edw ELLIOTT, & Richard PRICHARD.
    Probate Gloucester 1619. Researched from LDS Film #0091396.
    [Wills abstracted by Leslie Mahler in 1998: Gloucester 1619]
    Contact: Early Probate Records: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/GLS/ProbateRecords/LMindex.html
    http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/GLS/ProbateRecords/GLS1619.html#F
    FREAME, Richard - Gloucester, chandler
    bro Henry;
    sis Hester Prichard & Sara F;
    execs: Edw Elliott & Richard Prichard
    L.D.S. Film #0091396
    http://www.sterryworldwide.com/surrwills.htm
    Philip Graves 1666 [SW/20_883]
    Philip Graves of St Saviour Southwark, shipwright, sick and weak 30 Oct 1665 all to my brother John Graves and sister Elizabeth Sterrey wife of George Sterrey, execs.
    Witnesses: Peldeth(?) Saword; Richard Freame
    Proved: 14 and 18 Apr 1666 to execs. [DW/PA/5/1666/38]
    Edward Dudley b. by 1600, Bristol,England,
    ref: dd.bk.16540p177,
    occupation landowner ptd.300 A., m. by 1621, in Bristol,England, 2nd Robinson, York Co.Va.,
    Elizabeth Pritchard b. Bristol,England, ref: CMD,Stubbs, occupation
    Mother: Hester Prichard, d. 2 Oct.1691, ?York,Co.Va., buried: m.2nd:John Robinson c1657.
    He died 1 Mch., 1688 in New Charles Parish,Va.
    Edward died by Jan.1655, Lancaster (Middlesex),Va., buried: 1637:passage to, Va.pd.by Thos.Hampton Clark, from York to Lancaster. 1651-witnessed deed York Co.Va.1654 titheables listed Lancaster Co.Apr1654
    Will of Rev.Thos. Sax:bequest to Robert,2nd son Edward D. Jan.25,1660
    will of Thos.Rootes of Lancaster Co.to Elizabeth Robinson:2 cows for her ch.Eliz.& She rd Dudley.Mr. Robinson m.Eliz.c1657.he was widow 6 Feb.1655.
    1637 induced to come to Amer.
    by Thomas Hampton,rector of church at Jamestown 1651 moved to Lancaster (now Middlesex)Co.so.of Rappahannock R. Ref:1,2,pp.111,154.3,v23,pp148-9.Lanc.deed book,1654p.177.order bk.p.70.
    Elizabeth Pritchard b. Bristol,England, ref: CMD,Stubbs, occupation Mo :Hester Prichard, d. 2 Oct.1691, ?York,Co.Va., buried:
    m.2nd:John Robinson c1657.He died 1 Mch., 1688 in New Charles Parish,Va. Hester Prichard of Bristol mentions daughter Elizabeth in her will. 6 Feb.1655
    Eliz Dudley,widow of Edward, petioned court of Lancaster Co.Va,ask- ing for survey & division of 300 A. of land formerly patented by Edw.Dudley.
    She m.2nd John Robinson c.1657, moved to York Co.Va. He d.New Charles Parish 1 Mch.1688.
    Thomas Roots,by will dated 25.Jan.1688 devised certain property in trust for her 2 ch.Elizabeth & Robert Dudley.(Ref:McKenzie:Col.Families of USA vol.5p.626 (1966).
    http://www.coveytrees.com/DudleyTree.html

Thank you for the time,

Michael Douglas Allen -Warner
    Sligo, Ireland / Idaho USA

"Ihr Racke, wollen sie ewig leben?" -Frederick the Great, 1712 - 1786
    Thank you for the information you have supplied. I have recently become interested in this woman, too, because all the published works coming out of America on the Dudley family have her as an ancestress of mine. However, applying the principles of good
    research which I tried to impart to my Ph.D. students in my former academic career has made it abundantly clear to me that 16th and 17th century Dudley research is universally unreliable and needs to be reworked from the bottom up. It seems that there
    were multiple Dudleys and Sewells during these centuries living at the same time sharing similar names, even though they don't seem to be related to one another. Additionally, spouses and children do not appear to me to always be rightly assigned.
    Concerning the will of Hester Pritchard, it always appears, but no one ever mentions where it can be found or provides a complete abstract of it. This is most strange and makes it a matter of suspicion to me, even though I would be overjoyed if it were
    true. If you have come across any further details, I would appreciate a further upload. I will also do so as I figure things out. But, right now, I think it would be a major accomplishment to just figure out the extent of what we don't know.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From taf@21:1/5 to Hikaru Kitabayashi on Wed Apr 26 11:38:05 2023
    On Wednesday, April 26, 2023 at 4:23:09 AM UTC-7, Hikaru Kitabayashi wrote:
    On Wednesday, September 28, 2011 at 7:44:36 AM UTC+9, . . wrote:

"Richard Pritchard father of Elizabeth Pritchard who married Edward Dudley, was married to Hester Freame daughter of
    Mayor Richard Freame, Mayor of Gloster. who was married to Mary Horne, father unknown."

If any other researchers can shed some light and direct me to a source for the marriage of Richard Prichard and Hester "Freame"
    It would help me understand this family line a bit more. Her file takes this line back to Sir. Thomas Morgan and Jane Herbert,
    this being a "gateway" line.

Elizabeth Pritchard b. Bristol,England, ref: CMD,Stubbs, occupation Mo :Hester Prichard, d. 2 Oct.1691, ?York,Co.Va., buried:
    Hester Prichard of Bristol mentions daughter Elizabeth in her will.

Concerning the will of Hester Pritchard, it always appears, but no one ever mentions where it can be found or provides a complete abstract of it. This is most strange and makes it a matter of suspicion to me, even though I would be overjoyed if it were
    true.

I suspect this is a confused rendering of a PCC will proved in 1691 of Hester Pritchard of St Andrew Holborne, Middlesex, but obscured by sloppy abstracting and genealogical telephone/Chinese whispers. In the will, Hester leaves a legacy to "my
    Granddaughter Elizabeth daughter of Robert Pritchard late of Virginia."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)