• Re: Antrobus/Lawrence

From Johnny Brananas@21:1/5 to Paul M. Gifford on Tue Apr 4 14:11:58 2023
    On Saturday, November 23, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Paul M. Gifford wrote:
    Regarding Joan Arnold, who married Walter Antrobus and who was the mother of Joan Antrobus, who married (1) Thomas Lawrence and (2) John Tuttle:
    She was probably not the Joan, daughter of John Arnold, baptized in 1571. The will of John Arnolde, of St. Albans, Herts., dated 31 Oct. 1583, was proved 21
    Nov. 1583 in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury (15 Butts, FHL film 91965). In it he gives to eldest son George Arnold, seven houses in Dunstable; to younger son John Arnold his house in the Vintrye of St. Albans, and to John two silver spoons which his Uncles gave him at his christening, at 21; he gave legacies to elder daughter Mary Arnold, daughter Sara Arnold; to Emme Mannyngham "my late wyves mother"; to my brother Hugh Arnolde; to my sister Joane 13s., 4d.; he mentioned "cossen" Edward Gladwin, and his wife. Witnesses were Mr. Thomas Walley, Mr. Richarde Manningham, Thomas Appowell, Richard Graye and John Daye; Roger Williams was writer. The codicil says that
    Barnabie Lawrence shall keep the portion of my younger son John until he is 21, and that Lawrence was to bring up John.
    The Joan baptized in 1571 was probably a daughter who wasn't living in 1583. The St. Albans Abbey parish register shows the last child of Walter and Joan Antrobus as Henry, baptized 25 April 1600. Thus Joan was probably born closer
    to 1560.
    The same parish register gives the baptisms of Marie, dau. of John and Elizabeth Arnold, 5 May 1560; Sara, 7 Sept. 1567; Joan; and John, 6 Feb. 1574.
    It would appear that John Arnold was a much older brother of Joan, born perhaps about 1535. I don't know how much further traceable this line is,
    but I haven't yet looked at the St. Albans parish registers (the above dates are from the IGI). I looked at the index to Archdeaconry of St. Albans wills (which shows the 1625 wills of John and Judith Arnold of St. Albans), but don't recall when they begin. I don't think there are any earlier St. Albans Arnolds in the PCC. If anyone has looked at this further, I would be interested.
    Paul Gifford

Since the will of John Arnold mentions both Emme Manningham and Mr. Richard Manningham, perhaps the 1612 will of Richard Manningham would be of interest. "St Albans where I was born"; ... "Gregory {? sic; George] Arnold, Mary and Sarah Arnold, children
    of his half-sister"; ... "George Arnold, Barnaby Lawrence, and Jacob Peters, sons in law of his half-sister Arnold"; ... "kinsman John Arnold of St. Albans ..."

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Diary_of_John_Manningham_of_the_Middle_T/gyxTAAAAcAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&bsq=arnold%20albans

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Johnny Brananas@21:1/5 to Johnny Brananas on Tue Apr 4 14:21:21 2023
    On Tuesday, April 4, 2023 at 5:12:00 PM UTC-4, Johnny Brananas wrote:
    Regarding Joan Arnold, who married Walter Antrobus and who was the mother of
    Joan Antrobus, who married (1) Thomas Lawrence and (2) John Tuttle:
    She was probably not the Joan, daughter of John Arnold, baptized in 1571. The
    will of John Arnolde, of St. Albans, Herts., dated 31 Oct. 1583, was proved 21
    Nov. 1583 in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury (15 Butts, FHL film 91965).
    In it he gives to eldest son George Arnold, seven houses in Dunstable; to younger son John Arnold his house in the Vintrye of St. Albans, and to John
    two silver spoons which his Uncles gave him at his christening, at 21; he gave legacies to elder daughter Mary Arnold, daughter Sara Arnold; to Emme Mannyngham "my late wyves mother"; to my brother Hugh Arnolde; to my sister
    Joane 13s., 4d.; he mentioned "cossen" Edward Gladwin, and his wife. Witnesses were Mr. Thomas Walley, Mr. Richarde Manningham, Thomas Appowell,
    Richard Graye and John Daye; Roger Williams was writer. The codicil says that
    Barnabie Lawrence shall keep the portion of my younger son John until he is
    21, and that Lawrence was to bring up John.
    The Joan baptized in 1571 was probably a daughter who wasn't living in 1583.
    The St. Albans Abbey parish register shows the last child of Walter and Joan
    Antrobus as Henry, baptized 25 April 1600. Thus Joan was probably born closer
    to 1560.
    The same parish register gives the baptisms of Marie, dau. of John and Elizabeth Arnold, 5 May 1560; Sara, 7 Sept. 1567; Joan; and John, 6 Feb. 1574.
    It would appear that John Arnold was a much older brother of Joan, born perhaps about 1535. I don't know how much further traceable this line is, but I haven't yet looked at the St. Albans parish registers (the above dates
    are from the IGI). I looked at the index to Archdeaconry of St. Albans wills
    (which shows the 1625 wills of John and Judith Arnold of St. Albans), but don't recall when they begin. I don't think there are any earlier St. Albans
    Arnolds in the PCC. If anyone has looked at this further, I would be interested.
    Paul Gifford
    Since the will of John Arnold mentions both Emme Manningham and Mr. Richard Manningham, perhaps the 1612 will of Richard Manningham would be of interest. "St Albans where I was born"; ... "Gregory {? sic; George] Arnold, Mary and Sarah Arnold, children
    of his half-sister"; ... "George Arnold, Barnaby Lawrence, and Jacob Peters, sons in law of his half-sister Arnold"; ... "kinsman John Arnold of St. Albans ..."

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Diary_of_John_Manningham_of_the_Middle_T/gyxTAAAAcAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&bsq=arnold%20albans

There's also the 1580 marriage of "Walter Anterbus" and Barbara Lawrence at St. Albans ...
    https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Parish_Registers_of_St_Albans_Abbey/IToVAAAAQAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22walter+anterbus%22&pg=PA30&printsec=frontcover

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JBrand@21:1/5 to Johnny Brananas on Wed Apr 5 05:33:54 2023
    On Tuesday, April 4, 2023 at 5:21:23 PM UTC-4, Johnny Brananas wrote:
    On Tuesday, April 4, 2023 at 5:12:00 PM UTC-4, Johnny Brananas wrote:
    Regarding Joan Arnold, who married Walter Antrobus and who was the mother of
    Joan Antrobus, who married (1) Thomas Lawrence and (2) John Tuttle:
    She was probably not the Joan, daughter of John Arnold, baptized in 1571. The
    will of John Arnolde, of St. Albans, Herts., dated 31 Oct. 1583, was proved 21
    Nov. 1583 in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury (15 Butts, FHL film 91965).
    In it he gives to eldest son George Arnold, seven houses in Dunstable; to
    younger son John Arnold his house in the Vintrye of St. Albans, and to John
    two silver spoons which his Uncles gave him at his christening, at 21; he
    gave legacies to elder daughter Mary Arnold, daughter Sara Arnold; to Emme
    Mannyngham "my late wyves mother"; to my brother Hugh Arnolde; to my sister
    Joane 13s., 4d.; he mentioned "cossen" Edward Gladwin, and his wife. Witnesses were Mr. Thomas Walley, Mr. Richarde Manningham, Thomas Appowell,
    Richard Graye and John Daye; Roger Williams was writer. The codicil says that
    Barnabie Lawrence shall keep the portion of my younger son John until he is
    21, and that Lawrence was to bring up John.
    The Joan baptized in 1571 was probably a daughter who wasn't living in 1583.
    The St. Albans Abbey parish register shows the last child of Walter and Joan
    Antrobus as Henry, baptized 25 April 1600. Thus Joan was probably born closer
    to 1560.
    It would appear that John Arnold was a much older brother of Joan, born perhaps about 1535. I don't know how much further traceable this line is,
    but I haven't yet looked at the St. Albans parish registers (the above dates
    are from the IGI). I looked at the index to Archdeaconry of St. Albans wills
    (which shows the 1625 wills of John and Judith Arnold of St. Albans), but
    don't recall when they begin. I don't think there are any earlier St. Albans
    Arnolds in the PCC. If anyone has looked at this further, I would be interested.
    Paul Gifford
    Since the will of John Arnold mentions both Emme Manningham and Mr. Richard Manningham, perhaps the 1612 will of Richard Manningham would be of interest. "St Albans where I was born"; ... "Gregory {? sic; George] Arnold, Mary and Sarah Arnold,
    children of his half-sister"; ... "George Arnold, Barnaby Lawrence, and Jacob Peters, sons in law of his half-sister Arnold"; ... "kinsman John Arnold of St. Albans ..."

There's also the 1580 marriage of "Walter Anterbus" and Barbara Lawrence at St. Albans ...
    https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Parish_Registers_of_St_Albans_Abbey/IToVAAAAQAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22walter+anterbus%22&pg=PA30&printsec=frontcover

It seems possible the "sister Joane" of John Arnold could be the widow of a brother of his (possibly Hugh), and, as such, possibly considerably younger than John.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05