• Re: Ferrers Baddsley Clinton 16th century

From Brian Hessick@21:1/5 to All on Sat Apr 1 09:49:16 2023
    Not sure this is of any use 15 years later, but I ran across this Letters and Papers:

"916. Sir. Edw. Ferrers to Cromwell.
    I thank you for the pains you have taken between my son Frognall and Mr. Wyott. I have been too sick to visit you. My brother Alex. Frognall did never agree that his son and mine, Thos. Frognall, should have more than 20 marks a year out of the manor of
    Frognall; but as the said Alexander lived wantonly, and I was afraid lest he should encumber the manor, it was devised that the manor should be assured by covenant to the said Thomas and his wife, and that when they came of age they should make a lease
    of it to his father during his life, reserving only to themselves 20 marks. But as the said Alexander was negligent to call for [it] when his son was of full age, who entered into covenant with Wyott before it was his own, and the said Alexander received
    the whole profits, I have desired Mr. Wigston to inform you further of my mind in the premises. Baddesley, 24 June."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Brian Hessick@21:1/5 to All on Sat Apr 1 09:51:58 2023
    Not sure this is of any use 15 years later, but I ran across this in Letters and Papers:

I thank you for the pains you have taken between my son Frognall and Mr. Wyott. I have been too sick to visit you. My brother Alex. Frognall did never agree that his son and mine, Thos. Frognall, should have more than 20 marks a year out of the manor of
    Frognall; but as the said Alexander lived wantonly, and I was afraid lest he should encumber the manor, it was devised that the manor should be assured by covenant to the said Thomas and his wife, and that when they came of age they should make a lease
    of it to his father during his life, reserving only to themselves 20 marks. But as the said Alexander was negligent to call for [it] when his son was of full age, who entered into covenant with Wyott before it was his own, and the said Alexander received
    the whole profits, I have desired Mr. Wigston to inform you further of my mind in the premises. Baddesley, 24 June."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Johnson@21:1/5 to Brian Hessick on Sat Apr 1 18:31:49 2023
    On Saturday, April 1, 2023 at 9:52:00 AM UTC-7, Brian Hessick wrote:
    Not sure this is of any use 15 years later, but I ran across this in Letters and Papers:

I thank you for the pains you have taken between my son Frognall and Mr. Wyott. I have been too sick to visit you. My brother Alex. Frognall did never agree that his son and mine, Thos. Frognall, should have more than 20 marks a year out of the manor
    of Frognall; but as the said Alexander lived wantonly, and I was afraid lest he should encumber the manor, it was devised that the manor should be assured by covenant to the said Thomas and his wife, and that when they came of age they should make a
    lease of it to his father during his life, reserving only to themselves 20 marks. But as the said Alexander was negligent to call for [it] when his son was of full age, who entered into covenant with Wyott before it was his own, and the said Alexander
    received the whole profits, I have desired Mr. Wigston to inform you further of my mind in the premises. Baddesley, 24 June."

Is there a year for this entry?
    I don't see a year in your above

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From pj.evans88@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Will Johnson on Sat Apr 1 18:34:41 2023
    On Saturday, April 1, 2023 at 6:31:51 PM UTC-7, Will Johnson wrote:

I thank you for the pains you have taken between my son Frognall and Mr. Wyott. I have been too sick to visit you. My brother Alex. Frognall did never agree that his son and mine, Thos. Frognall, should have more than 20 marks a year out of the manor
    of Frognall; but as the said Alexander lived wantonly, and I was afraid lest he should encumber the manor, it was devised that the manor should be assured by covenant to the said Thomas and his wife, and that when they came of age they should make a
    lease of it to his father during his life, reserving only to themselves 20 marks. But as the said Alexander was negligent to call for [it] when his son was of full age, who entered into covenant with Wyott before it was his own, and the said Alexander
    received the whole profits, I have desired Mr. Wigston to inform you further of my mind in the premises. Baddesley, 24 June."
    Is there a year for this entry?
    I don't see a year in your above

Two seconds getting the term into Google: https://www.british-history.ac.uk/letters-papers-hen8/vol8/pp356-379
    Henry VIII: June 1535, 22-30

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mk@21:1/5 to pj.ev...@gmail.com on Tue Apr 4 10:35:18 2023
    On Saturday, April 1, 2023 at 9:34:43 PM UTC-4, pj.ev...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Saturday, April 1, 2023 at 6:31:51 PM UTC-7, Will Johnson wrote:

I thank you for the pains you have taken between my son Frognall and Mr. Wyott. I have been too sick to visit you. My brother Alex. Frognall did never agree that his son and mine, Thos. Frognall,

Alexander Frognall's son Thomas married Sir Edward Ferrer's daughter Margaret. They were likely the parents of Ursula who (according to Canon Jackson) married Edward Hungerford, Edmund's brother or half brother (their father had two sons named Edward,
    one by each wife).

I've recently come across a reference to another Ursula Ferrers in the Will of Thomas Darell of Scotney 1558. He married Alice Whetenhall, daughter of William Whetenhall and widow of a Thomas (or William) Head/Hodd/Hedd whose daughter Margaret by her
    first marriage married Nicholas Ferrers, a younger son of the above Sir Edward and his wife Constance Brome. After Nicholas died, she married Richard Andrews. Darell makes more than one mention of Margaret Ferrers, presumably his stepdaughter, and her
    mother Alice's lands in Maidstone, including a reference to "Ursula and Elizabeth, daughters of Margaret Ferrers". At the end of the will he names his wife Alice and "Margaret her daughter now wife to Richard Andrews."

I can't find much on Nicholas Ferrers. He was still alive in 1553 when, as Nicholas Ferrers of Prynsthroppe [Princethorpe] he granted his mother Constance a messuage named Bromesplace and associated lands in Warwickshire. He and Margaret had a son named
    Edward who was alive in 1577.

"17th. May 22d Elizth. Copy of the Conveyance from Richard Andrews of Mayfield and Margaret his wife (theretofore Margaret Ferrers wife of Nicholas Ferrers then deceased) and Edward Ferrers son of said Nicholas and Margaret to Henry Ferrers Esq of
    Baddesley of one messuage and six closes and a meadow in Baddesley and of sundry lands in Solihull and of the covenant of the same parties to surrender to the said Henry divers Copyhold Premises lying in Balsall and holden of the Manor of Balsall of
    which Edward Aglionby was then Lord.

The conveyance was inrolled in Chancery and the estates conveyed by it were the same that Dame Constance Ferrers had given to the said Nicholas Ferrers her son.

The parchment cover does not relate to any part of the Ferrers Estate but has been used as waste parchment for preservation of the paper copy of the conveyance to which it is annexed.

The parchment cover consists of the counterpart of a lease from the Rt. Hon. Ambrose, Earl of Warwick, Baron Lysley [1528? - 1590] to Thomas Griffin of Barforde and Joan and Elizabeth Griffin, daughters of the said Thomas, of a messuage and two yard
    lands in the common fields of Barforde. To hold the same for the term of their lives for the annual rent of 20s., paying heriot of the best beast on the death of any of the said lessees. The said Ambrose appointing John Blunt esq. and Thomas Powell as
    attorneys to deliver seisin. Consideration: £30.

28 January 20 Elizabeth [1577/8]."

This Ursula would be well placed to be the one who married Edmund Hungerford. If the daughter of Nicholas Ferrers, her aunt would be Margaret Ferrers Frognall. If Ursula Frognall Hungerford was the daughter of the latter, then the two sisters-in-law
    would also be first cousins. Thomas Darell himself was the 3rd cousin of Edmund's mother, Jane Darell.

regards, Monica

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05