• Unpublished pedigree for Greene of Bobbing, Kent

From Brian Hessick@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 22 14:35:21 2023
    When Sir Thomas Greene, Knt., of Bobbing, Kent, died in 1624, his papers passed to his younger brother George Grene of Corstown, Kilkenny. Included in those papers was the family pedigree of Norton and Grene signed by “Gulielmus Camden”. That
    document stayed in the family up until at least 1892 when an article was written by William David Grene, District Inspector of the Royal Irish Constabulary, who was then in possession of it.
    In “The History and topographical survey of the county of Kent”, by Edward Hasted (1797), there is information about the Greenes alluding to the same pedigree. It seems there is a duplicate of the same pedigree, assuming that Camden made a copy for
    the College of Arms, which Hasted was able to examine. Unfortunately, I cannot find this pedigree in any of the published visitations for Kent.
    Any thoughts on how to find an unpublished pedigree made during the tenure of William Camden, Clarenceux?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Hikaru Kitabayashi@21:1/5 to Brian Hessick on Fri Apr 21 06:56:45 2023
    On Thursday, March 23, 2023 at 6:35:23 AM UTC+9, Brian Hessick wrote:
    When Sir Thomas Greene, Knt., of Bobbing, Kent, died in 1624, his papers passed to his younger brother George Grene of Corstown, Kilkenny. Included in those papers was the family pedigree of Norton and Grene signed by “Gulielmus Camden”. That
    document stayed in the family up until at least 1892 when an article was written by William David Grene, District Inspector of the Royal Irish Constabulary, who was then in possession of it.
    In “The History and topographical survey of the county of Kent”, by Edward Hasted (1797), there is information about the Greenes alluding to the same pedigree. It seems there is a duplicate of the same pedigree, assuming that Camden made a copy for
    the College of Arms, which Hasted was able to examine. Unfortunately, I cannot find this pedigree in any of the published visitations for Kent.
    Any thoughts on how to find an unpublished pedigree made during the tenure of William Camden, Clarenceux?
    You can contact the College of Arms in London. For a modest fee, they will do a search for you and copy whatever information you need. I have used their services before and I found the work done to be well worth the money spent.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Wibs@21:1/5 to Hikaru Kitabayashi on Fri Apr 21 08:19:18 2023
    On Friday, 21 April 2023 at 15:56:47 UTC+2, Hikaru Kitabayashi wrote:
    On Thursday, March 23, 2023 at 6:35:23 AM UTC+9, Brian Hessick wrote:
    In “The History and topographical survey of the county of Kent”, by Edward Hasted (1797), there is information about the Greenes alluding to the same pedigree. It seems there is a duplicate of the same pedigree, assuming that Camden made a copy
    for the College of Arms, which Hasted was able to examine. Unfortunately, I cannot find this pedigree in any of the published visitations for Kent.
    You can contact the College of Arms in London. For a modest fee, they will do a search for you and copy whatever information you need. I have used their services before and I found the work done to be well worth the money spent.

There are several draft visitations of Kent, and tricked visitations, etc. in the British Library, Department of Manuscripts. I would explore there.

https://searcharchives.bl.uk/primo_library/libweb/action/search.do?fn=search&ct=search&initialSearch=true&mode=Basic&tab=local&indx=41&dum=true&srt=rank&vid=IAMS_VU2&frbg=&vl%28freeText0%29=Visitation+Kent&scp.scps=scope%3A%28BL%29

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05