• Countess Bertha and Arnulf of Valenciennes

From lancaster.boon@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Mar 19 03:58:59 2023
    Peter Stewart has suggested that I explain why Léon Vanderkindere's explanation of Bertha's parentage needs to be rejected. This is something I explained in an article which is unfortunately not freely available online, but it is indeed perhaps a good
    idea to explain some points in short form.

Firstly, for those who do not know, Vanderkindere was a liberal politician who lived in Brussels, and wrote around 1900. His attempts to explain the origins of the various medieval counties around Belgian are still very influential. (In some ways though
    they continued a much older early modern tradition of trying to connect the medieval dynasties of the low countries in ways which connected them all backwards to the Carolingians, and forwards to the early modern dynasts who (re)united them.) His
    Wikipedia article gives links to his 2 volume work on "la formation territoriale des principautés belges". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%A9on_Vanderkindere

Notes on what Vanderkindere says about Bertha.

1. He takes it as certain that she must have been visiting relatives when she died. Whatever we think of the chronicle of Sint Truiden, it is the only source, and it gives a quite different reasoning. It says that she was on a pilgrimage in the region
    when she became ill. It specifies that her son Arnulf had to travel from Flanders. (Note: before she died there was time for people to travel there.) I don't see any reason to reject this, but if we insist on rejecting it there is no other evidence which
    gives an alternative account. The only thing we can say in favour of this position is that she did apparently have some sources of income in the area around Sint-Truiden (tithes in Brustem, a forest in Melveren). However it is equally obvious that she
    had lands very far away. So it seems prudent to assume that she may have had lands etc scattered over a very large region.

2. Concerning her parentage and relatives, Vanderkindere took it as certain not only that her main relatives lived around Sint-Truiden, but also that she was a relative of Bishop Balderic II of Liège, who would not yet have been born at this stage. This
    is possible because Balderic's "biography" (the Vita Balderici) makes it clear that Balderic II was a close relative of her son Count Arnulf. But how does Vanderkindere exclude the possibility that Arnulf was related to Balderic via his unknown father?
    Vanderkindere took it as given that the term "cognatio" had to mean that the two men were related through a female line on Arnulf's side, although he believed it was through Balderic's father. With this rather questionable line of reasoning, which is
    handled in a few asides, Vanderkindere "proved" that Bertha was the sister of Balderic II's father. This does not even fit well with his other proposals because he believed Balderic II's father was a young boy at this time when Bertha was a lady with a
    grown-up son.

It would take a lot longer post to explain why historians accepted this (at least in print) for more than a century, but I think it has to do with the fact that the assertion is only one in a much bigger web of assertions, which were presented in a
    complex way by later defenders of the proposal such as Jean Baerten. Also, from conversations I understand that many historians could see a problem needed unravelling, but such genealogical asides are not always central to the topics they are working on.
    Finally, in order to write about this topic you are almost forced to write a relatively long negative article which only disproves things, but can't offer any alternative scenario.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to All on Mon Mar 20 12:43:03 2023
    T24gMTktTWFyLTIzIDk6NTggUE0sIGxhbmNhc3QuLi5AZ21haWwuY29tIHdyb3RlOg0KPiBQZXRl ciBTdGV3YXJ0IGhhcyBzdWdnZXN0ZWQgdGhhdCBJIGV4cGxhaW4gd2h5IEzDqW9uIFZhbmRlcmtp bmRlcmUncyBleHBsYW5hdGlvbiBvZiBCZXJ0aGEncyBwYXJlbnRhZ2UgbmVlZHMgdG8gYmUgcmVq ZWN0ZWQuIFRoaXMgaXMgc29tZXRoaW5nIEkgZXhwbGFpbmVkIGluIGFuIGFydGljbGUgd2hpY2gg aXMgdW5mb3J0dW5hdGVseSBub3QgZnJlZWx5IGF2YWlsYWJsZSBvbmxpbmUsIGJ1dCBpdCBpcyBp bmRlZWQgcGVyaGFwcyBhIGdvb2QgaWRlYSB0byBleHBsYWluIHNvbWUgcG9pbnRzIGluIHNob3J0 IGZvcm0uDQo+IA0KPiBGaXJzdGx5LCBmb3IgdGhvc2Ugd2hvIGRvIG5vdCBrbm93LCBWYW5kZXJr aW5kZXJlIHdhcyBhIGxpYmVyYWwgcG9saXRpY2lhbiB3aG8gbGl2ZWQgaW4gQnJ1c3NlbHMsIGFu ZCB3cm90ZSBhcm91bmQgMTkwMC4gSGlzIGF0dGVtcHRzIHRvIGV4cGxhaW4gdGhlIG9yaWdpbnMg b2YgdGhlIHZhcmlvdXMgbWVkaWV2YWwgY291bnRpZXMgYXJvdW5kIEJlbGdpYW4gYXJlIHN0aWxs IHZlcnkgaW5mbHVlbnRpYWwuIChJbiBzb21lIHdheXMgdGhvdWdoIHRoZXkgY29udGludWVkIGEg bXVjaCBvbGRlciBlYXJseSBtb2Rlcm4gdHJhZGl0aW9uIG9mIHRyeWluZyB0byBjb25uZWN0IHRo ZSBtZWRpZXZhbCBkeW5hc3RpZXMgb2YgdGhlIGxvdyBjb3VudHJpZXMgaW4gd2F5cyB3aGljaCBj b25uZWN0ZWQgdGhlbSBhbGwgYmFja3dhcmRzIHRvIHRoZSBDYXJvbGluZ2lhbnMsIGFuZCBmb3J3 YXJkcyB0byB0aGUgZWFybHkgbW9kZXJuIGR5bmFzdHMgd2hvIChyZSl1bml0ZWQgdGhlbS4pIEhp cyBXaWtpcGVkaWEgYXJ0aWNsZSBnaXZlcyBsaW5rcyB0byBoaXMgMiB2b2x1bWUgd29yayBvbiAi bGEgZm9ybWF0aW9uIHRlcnJpdG9yaWFsZSBkZXMgcHJpbmNpcGF1dMOpcyBiZWxnZXMiLiBodHRw czovL2VuLndpa2lwZWRpYS5vcmcvd2lraS9MJUMzJUE5b25fVmFuZGVya2luZGVyZQ0KPiANCj4g Tm90ZXMgb24gd2hhdCBWYW5kZXJraW5kZXJlIHNheXMgYWJvdXQgQmVydGhhLg0KPiANCj4gMS4g SGUgdGFrZXMgaXQgYXMgY2VydGFpbiB0aGF0IHNoZSBtdXN0IGhhdmUgYmVlbiB2aXNpdGluZyBy ZWxhdGl2ZXMgd2hlbiBzaGUgZGllZC4gV2hhdGV2ZXIgd2UgdGhpbmsgb2YgdGhlIGNocm9uaWNs ZSBvZiBTaW50IFRydWlkZW4sIGl0IGlzIHRoZSBvbmx5IHNvdXJjZSwgYW5kIGl0IGdpdmVzIGEg cXVpdGUgZGlmZmVyZW50IHJlYXNvbmluZy4gSXQgc2F5cyB0aGF0IHNoZSB3YXMgb24gYSBwaWxn cmltYWdlIGluIHRoZSByZWdpb24gd2hlbiBzaGUgYmVjYW1lIGlsbC4gSXQgc3BlY2lmaWVzIHRo YXQgaGVyIHNvbiBBcm51bGYgaGFkIHRvIHRyYXZlbCBmcm9tIEZsYW5kZXJzLiAoTm90ZTogYmVm b3JlIHNoZSBkaWVkIHRoZXJlIHdhcyB0aW1lIGZvciBwZW9wbGUgdG8gdHJhdmVsIHRoZXJlLikg SSBkb24ndCBzZWUgYW55IHJlYXNvbiB0byByZWplY3QgdGhpcywgYnV0IGlmIHdlIGluc2lzdCBv biByZWplY3RpbmcgaXQgdGhlcmUgaXMgbm8gb3RoZXIgZXZpZGVuY2Ugd2hpY2ggZ2l2ZXMgYW4g YWx0ZXJuYXRpdmUgYWNjb3VudC4gVGhlIG9ubHkgdGhpbmcgd2UgY2FuIHNheSBpbiBmYXZvdXIg b2YgdGhpcyBwb3NpdGlvbiBpcyB0aGF0IHNoZSBkaWQgYXBwYXJlbnRseSBoYXZlIHNvbWUgc291 cmNlcyBvZiBpbmNvbWUgaW4gdGhlIGFyZWEgYXJvdW5kIFNpbnQtVHJ1aWRlbiAodGl0aGVzIGlu IEJydXN0ZW0sIGEgZm9yZXN0IGluIE1lbHZlcmVuKS4gSG93ZXZlciBpdCBpcyBlcXVhbGx5IG9i dmlvdXMgdGhhdCBzaGUgaGFkIGxhbmRzIHZlcnkgZmFyIGF3YXkuIFNvIGl0IHNlZW1zIHBydWRl bnQgdG8gYXNzdW1lIHRoYXQgc2hlIG1heSBoYXZlIGhhZCBsYW5kcyBldGMgc2NhdHRlcmVkIG92 ZXIgYSB2ZXJ5IGxhcmdlIHJlZ2lvbi4NCj4gDQo+IDIuIENvbmNlcm5pbmcgaGVyIHBhcmVudGFn ZSBhbmQgcmVsYXRpdmVzLCBWYW5kZXJraW5kZXJlIHRvb2sgaXQgYXMgY2VydGFpbiBub3Qgb25s eSB0aGF0IGhlciBtYWluIHJlbGF0aXZlcyBsaXZlZCBhcm91bmQgU2ludC1UcnVpZGVuLCBidXQg YWxzbyB0aGF0IHNoZSB3YXMgYSByZWxhdGl2ZSBvZiBCaXNob3AgQmFsZGVyaWMgSUkgb2YgTGnD qGdlLCB3aG8gd291bGQgbm90IHlldCBoYXZlIGJlZW4gYm9ybiBhdCB0aGlzIHN0YWdlLiBUaGlz IGlzIHBvc3NpYmxlIGJlY2F1c2UgQmFsZGVyaWMncyAiYmlvZ3JhcGh5IiAodGhlIFZpdGEgQmFs ZGVyaWNpKSBtYWtlcyBpdCBjbGVhciB0aGF0IEJhbGRlcmljIElJIHdhcyBhIGNsb3NlIHJlbGF0 aXZlIG9mIGhlciBzb24gQ291bnQgQXJudWxmLiBCdXQgaG93IGRvZXMgVmFuZGVya2luZGVyZSBl eGNsdWRlIHRoZSBwb3NzaWJpbGl0eSB0aGF0IEFybnVsZiB3YXMgcmVsYXRlZCB0byBCYWxkZXJp YyB2aWEgaGlzIHVua25vd24gZmF0aGVyPyBWYW5kZXJraW5kZXJlIHRvb2sgaXQgYXMgZ2l2ZW4g dGhhdCB0aGUgdGVybSAiY29nbmF0aW8iIGhhZCB0byBtZWFuIHRoYXQgdGhlIHR3byBtZW4gd2Vy ZSByZWxhdGVkIHRocm91Z2ggYSBmZW1hbGUgbGluZSBvbiBBcm51bGYncyBzaWRlLCBhbHRob3Vn aCBoZSBiZWxpZXZlZCBpdCB3YXMgdGhyb3VnaCBCYWxkZXJpYydzIGZhdGhlci4gV2l0aCB0aGlz IHJhdGhlciBxdWVzdGlvbmFibGUgbGluZSBvZiByZWFzb25pbmcsIHdoaWNoIGlzIGhhbmRsZWQg aW4gYSBmZXcgYXNpZGVzLCBWYW5kZXJraW5kZXJlICJwcm92ZWQiIHRoYXQgQmVydGhhIHdhcyB0 aGUgc2lzdGVyIG9mIEJhbGRlcmljIElJJ3MgZmF0aGVyLiBUaGlzIGRvZXMgbm90IGV2ZW4gZml0 IHdlbGwgd2l0aCBoaXMgb3RoZXIgcHJvcG9zYWxzIGJlY2F1c2UgaGUgYmVsaWV2ZWQgQmFsZGVy aWMgSUkncyBmYXRoZXIgd2FzIGEgeW91bmcgYm95IGF0IHRoaXMgdGltZSB3aGVuIEJlcnRoYSB3 YXMgYSBsYWR5IHdpdGggYSBncm93bi11cCBzb24uDQoNCkFsdGhvdWdoIGl0IGNhbid0IGJlIGNl cnRhaW4gdGhhdCBCZXJ0aGEgd2FzIHZpc2l0aW5nIHJlbGF0aXZlcyAtIHRoZSANClNpbnQtVHJ1 aWRlbiBjaHJvbmljbGUgc2F5cyB0aGF0IHNoZSBjYW1lIHRvIHRoZSBhYmJleSB0byBwYXkgaGVy IA0KcmVzcGVjdHMgdG8gdGhlIHNhaW50IGJ1cmllZCB0aGVyZSB3aGlsZSByZXR1cm5pbmcgZnJv bSBhIHBpbGdyaW1hZ2UgdG8gDQpBYWNoZW4gLSBzaGUgd2FzIGV2aWRlbnRseSB0cmF2ZWxsaW5n IGZyb20gZWFzdCB0byB3ZXN0IGFuZCBwcm9iYWJseSANCm1ha2luZyBoZXIgd2F5IGhvbWUgdG93 YXJkcyBWYWxlbmNpZW5uZXMgd2hlbiBzaGUgZmVsbCBpbGwuDQoNClZhbmRlcmtpbmRlcmUgbWF5 IG5vdCBoYXZlIGJlZW4gZmFyIGFzdHJheSBpbiBhc3N1bWluZyB0aGF0IHRoZSBjbG9zZSANCnJl bGF0aW9uc2hpcCBiZXR3ZWVuIGhlciBzb24gQXJudWxmIGFuZCBCYWxkZXJpYyBJSSBvZiBMacOo Z2UgY2FtZSANCnRocm91Z2ggaGVyLiBUaGlzIGlzIG5vdCBvbmx5IG1lbnRpb25lZCBpbiB0aGUg Vml0YSBhcyBub3RlZCBhYm92ZSBidXQgDQphbHNvIGluIGEgY2hhcnRlciBvZiBCYWxkZXJpYyBo aW1zZWxmLCBkYXRlZCAxMDE1ICgiRGVmdW5jdG8gaWdpdHVyIA0KQXJudWxmbyBjb21pdGUgZGUg VmFsZW5jaW5lcywgY29uc2FuZ3VpbmVvIG1lbyIpLiBBY2NvcmRpbmcgdG8gdGhlIA0Kb2JpdHVh cnkgb2YgU2FpbnQtTGFtYmVydCwgQmVydGhhJ3Mgc29uIEFybnVsZiBkaWVkIG9uIDIzIE9jdG9i ZXIgaGF2aW5nIA0KZG9uYXRlZCAiVml1c2F6IiAocHJlc3VtYWJseSBWaXPDqSkgdG8gdGhlIGNh dGhlZHJhbC4gQSAxMnRoLWNlbnR1cnkgY29weSANCm9mIFVzdWFyZCdzIG1hcnR5cm9sb2d5IGlu IENhbWJyYWkgcGxhY2VzIHRoZSBkZWF0aCBvZiBDb3VudCBBcm51bGYgb2YgDQpWYWxlbmNpZW5u ZXMgdW5kZXIgMjIgT2N0b2JlciAoIk9iaWl0IEFybnVsZnVzIGNvbWVzIFZhbGVudGlhbmVuc2lz IiksIA0Kc28gdGhlcmUgaXMgbm8gZ3JlYXQgZGlmZmljdWx0eSBvdmVyIGhpcyBpZGVudGlmaWNh dGlvbiBpbiB0aGUgDQpTYWludC1MYW1iZXJ0IHJlY29yZCBvbiB0aGUgZm9sbG93aW5nIGRheS4g VGhlIFNhaW50LUxhbWJlcnQgb2JpdHVhcnkgDQphbHNvIHJlY29yZHMgdGhlIGRlYXRoIG9mIENv dW50ZXNzIEJlcnRoYSBvbiAzMCBPY3RvYmVyIG5vdGluZyB0aGF0IHNoZSANCmhhZCBkb25hdGVk IENyZWhlbiAtIHRoaXMgaXMgYSBjb3VwbGUgb2Yga21zIHNvdXRoLXdlc3Qgb2YgSGFubnV0LCAN CmFyb3VuZCA0NCBrbXMgd2VzdCBvZiBMacOoZ2UgYW5kIGFyb3VuZCAzMiBrbXMgc291dGgtd2Vz dCBvZiBCb3JnbG9vbiANCmhlbGQgYnkgQmFsZGVyaWMncyBmYW1pbHkuDQoNClBldGVyIFN0ZXdh cnQNCg0KDQoNCi0tIA0KVGhpcyBlbWFpbCBoYXMgYmVlbiBjaGVja2VkIGZvciB2aXJ1c2VzIGJ5 IEFWRyBhbnRpdmlydXMgc29mdHdhcmUuDQp3d3cuYXZnLmNvbQ==

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From lancaster.boon@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Mar 19 22:48:00 2023
    On Monday, March 20, 2023 at 2:45:31 AM UTC+1, Peter Stewart wrote:

Thanks Peter. I see that I scanned that page from Parisse's edition of the necrology but perhaps apparently never really processed it. Crehen is certainly in the right area, and as you note this is definitely a countess. Why the dates differ is a mystery,
    but quite a common thing in medieval necrologies. Arnulf's son is also mentioned in that necrology by the way.

I agree that it is quite possible and even likely that Bertha is a close relative of Balderic II. Whether she shared his apparent relationships with Dirk III of Holland and Lambert of Leuven (both of whom probably had the right type of royal ancestry)
    would be more uncertain of course. In the context of the argumentation of the argumentation of Vanderkindere and Baerten, what I think we can not do is to take these possibilities, add them together with others, and use them all as the foundation of any
    proof of another relationship altogether.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to lancast...@gmail.com on Mon Mar 20 17:20:45 2023
    On 20-Mar-23 4:48 PM, lancast...@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks Peter. I see that I scanned that page from Parisse's edition of the necrology but perhaps apparently never really processed it. Crehen is certainly in the right area, and as you note this is definitely a countess. Why the dates differ is a
    mystery, but quite a common thing in medieval necrologies. Arnulf's son is also mentioned in that necrology by the way.

It's interesting that the son Adalbert is also titled count and credited
    with the same donation as Arnulf - in the father's case spelled "Viusaz"
    and in the son's "Viozaz", that I assume both meant Visé. Perhaps
    Adalbert was count of Cambrai and Arnulf of Valenciennes, or just his
    father's associate count when Arnulf must have been an old man by the
    early 11th century (this had happened before in the region without age
    being the cause, for example in Flanders with Adalulf the younger
    brother of Arnulf I).

Thierry Stasser followed Vanderkindere in adducing the name Adalbert as evidence that Arnulf's wife who donated property in the Darnau was a
    daughter of the count there and a sister of Adalbert I of Namur. Maybe
    she was, but the name Adalbert also occurs in the Vermandois family
    around this time who had a different Carolingian ancestry from the Namur lineage.

Peter Stewart

--
    This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software.
    www.avg.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mike davis@21:1/5 to Peter Stewart on Mon Mar 20 11:33:49 2023
    On Monday, March 20, 2023 at 6:20:49 AM UTC, Peter Stewart wrote:

Thanks Peter. I see that I scanned that page from Parisse's edition of the necrology but perhaps apparently never really processed it. Crehen is certainly in the right area, and as you note this is definitely a countess. Why the dates differ is a
    mystery, but quite a common thing in medieval necrologies. Arnulf's son is also mentioned in that necrology by the way.
    It's interesting that the son Adalbert is also titled count and credited with the same donation as Arnulf - in the father's case spelled "Viusaz"
    and in the son's "Viozaz", that I assume both meant Visé. Perhaps
    Adalbert was count of Cambrai and Arnulf of Valenciennes, or just his father's associate count when Arnulf must have been an old man by the
    brother of Arnulf I).

Thierry Stasser followed Vanderkindere in adducing the name Adalbert as evidence that Arnulf's wife who donated property in the Darnau was a daughter of the count there and a sister of Adalbert I of Namur. Maybe
    around this time who had a different Carolingian ancestry from the Namur lineage.
    Peter Stewart

You are both obviously more conversant with the sources on these people
    than I am, so excuse me if I am blundering in here, but doesnt the St.Truid chronicle
    or charter [I'm not sure which] confuse Arnulf and Berta with the counts of Flanders? There do seem to be many counts and nobles with the name Arnulf
    in the sources of the late 10th century. Working out which is which is certainly
    a minefield.

I read on wiki that Arnulf lost Valenciennes to Baldwin V 1006, perhaps this was only temporary as Tanner in her book on Boulogne dates this to 1013,
    and that the Emperor gave Cambresis to the Bishop of Cambrai 1007. Then
    Arnulf gave Vise to the Bishop to buy his aide to recover his lands, so he seems to have been in a rather weak position when he died. AIUI the marches
    of valenciennes & Eename were erected as a barrier to the Frankish kings invading Lorraine like Lothar had done. By this time the threat was perhaps over
    and they were no longer needed.

Lastly as these threads on Richilde seem to be inclining towards Arnulf of Valenciennes, I saw a line of descent repeated on many websites like geni.com, which have the following for Arnulf of Valenciennes:

1 Charles the Bald m Ermentrude

2 Judith m Baldwin I of Flanders d879

3 Raoul [Rodulf] Count of Cambrai k 896

4 dau [sometimes called Judith] m Isaac Count of Cambrai 908-46

5 Arnulf I, son of Isaac 941, Count [of Cambrai?] 960 m Berta of Batavie d967

6 Arnulf II the Younger Ct of Cambrai 979 Markgraf & Ct of Valenciennes 983 d 1011or12 m Letgarde of Namur

The only worthwhile reference was ES II,5 which I take to mean the Europaische Studien series.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hans Vogels@21:1/5 to All on Mon Mar 20 11:53:02 2023
    Op maandag 20 maart 2023 om 19:33:50 UTC+1 schreef mike davis:

It's interesting that the son Adalbert is also titled count and credited with the same donation as Arnulf - in the father's case spelled "Viusaz" and in the son's "Viozaz", that I assume both meant Visé. Perhaps Adalbert was count of Cambrai and Arnulf of Valenciennes, or just his father's associate count when Arnulf must have been an old man by the early 11th century (this had happened before in the region without age being the cause, for example in Flanders with Adalulf the younger
    brother of Arnulf I).

Thierry Stasser followed Vanderkindere in adducing the name Adalbert as evidence that Arnulf's wife who donated property in the Darnau was a daughter of the count there and a sister of Adalbert I of Namur. Maybe
    Peter Stewart

than I am, so excuse me if I am blundering in here, but doesnt the St.Truid chronicle
    or charter [I'm not sure which] confuse Arnulf and Berta with the counts of Flanders? There do seem to be many counts and nobles with the name Arnulf
    in the sources of the late 10th century. Working out which is which is certainly
    a minefield.

I read on wiki that Arnulf lost Valenciennes to Baldwin V 1006, perhaps this was only temporary as Tanner in her book on Boulogne dates this to 1013,
    and that the Emperor gave Cambresis to the Bishop of Cambrai 1007. Then Arnulf gave Vise to the Bishop to buy his aide to recover his lands, so he seems to have been in a rather weak position when he died. AIUI the marches of valenciennes & Eename were erected as a barrier to the Frankish kings invading Lorraine like Lothar had done. By this time the threat was perhaps over

Lastly as these threads on Richilde seem to be inclining towards Arnulf of Valenciennes, I saw a line of descent repeated on many websites like geni.com,
    which have the following for Arnulf of Valenciennes:

6 Arnulf II the Younger Ct of Cambrai 979 Markgraf & Ct of Valenciennes 983 d 1011or12 m Letgarde of Namur

The only worthwhile reference was ES II,5 which I take to mean the Europaische Studien series.

Mike

Hello Mike,

ES refers to Europäische Stammtafeln. See: https://johnblythedobson.org/GFA/ES/contents.html

With regards,
    Hans Vogels

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From lancaster.boon@gmail.com@21:1/5 to mike davis on Mon Mar 20 11:56:24 2023
    On Monday, March 20, 2023 at 7:33:50 PM UTC+1, mike davis wrote:

It's interesting that the son Adalbert is also titled count and credited with the same donation as Arnulf - in the father's case spelled "Viusaz" and in the son's "Viozaz", that I assume both meant Visé. Perhaps Adalbert was count of Cambrai and Arnulf of Valenciennes, or just his father's associate count when Arnulf must have been an old man by the early 11th century (this had happened before in the region without age being the cause, for example in Flanders with Adalulf the younger
    brother of Arnulf I).

Peter Stewart

a minefield.

and that the Emperor gave Cambresis to the Bishop of Cambrai 1007. Then Arnulf gave Vise to the Bishop to buy his aide to recover his lands, so he seems to have been in a rather weak position when he died. AIUI the marches of valenciennes & Eename were erected as a barrier to the Frankish kings invading Lorraine like Lothar had done. By this time the threat was perhaps over

Lastly as these threads on Richilde seem to be inclining towards Arnulf of Valenciennes, I saw a line of descent repeated on many websites like geni.com,

Mike

Hi Mike
    No problem!
    Quick notes:

1. Just as an FYI, I think a good English version might for the saint and founder might be St. Trudo. Concerning European placenames I follow the 21st habit of using local spellings, mostly, but not always. In Dutch the town where the abbey was is Sint-
    Truiden. I live a short drive away. The local dutch dialect has been immortalized in the Oscar-winning film "Rundskop" (Bullhead).

2. You are correct to observe that there is a concern about whether the chronicle of the abbey there was making a typical type of genealogists mistake by calling Bertha and Arnulf "Flemish". Peter is arguing that to a certain point, but in reality we are
    not far apart (I think). Certainly the chronicle was wrong if it thought Arnulf was "the" count of Flanders. But he clearly was "a" count of Flanders, at least using the term in the way it was used at that time. You make me think of an interesting
    scenario though. Would the daughters of "the" counts of Flanders be called countesses of Flanders?? Yes they would, and Bertha may well have been a daughter of a count of Flanders.

3. Whether we can equate Arnulf of Cambrai and Arnulf of Valenciennes is not perfectly clear. It is a perfectly reasonable proposal. It is commonly treated as if certain. Peter prefers not to do so, and that is perfectly correct.

4. Unfortunately I don't think Peter or I are very confident about Richilde being a relative of Arnulf and Bertha. We don't seem to have found a strong reason to prefer that option. There are too many options.

5. Concerning the genealogy you mention this is indeed a gorilla in the room for Peter and myself. I think both of us are saying that this typical proposal is very speculative at almost every step. We do not know who Bertha was married to. I think we can
    simply reject the idea that she was "de Batavie" (the Vanderkindere proposal). Who knows. Maybe she was a daughter of Isaac.

Andrew

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mike davis@21:1/5 to lancast...@gmail.com on Mon Mar 20 14:47:35 2023
    On Monday, March 20, 2023 at 6:56:26 PM UTC, lancast...@gmail.com wrote:

It's interesting that the son Adalbert is also titled count and credited with the same donation as Arnulf - in the father's case spelled "Viusaz" and in the son's "Viozaz", that I assume both meant Visé. Perhaps Adalbert was count of Cambrai and Arnulf of Valenciennes, or just his father's associate count when Arnulf must have been an old man by the early 11th century (this had happened before in the region without age being the cause, for example in Flanders with Adalulf the younger brother of Arnulf I).

Thierry Stasser followed Vanderkindere in adducing the name Adalbert as evidence that Arnulf's wife who donated property in the Darnau was a daughter of the count there and a sister of Adalbert I of Namur. Maybe she was, but the name Adalbert also occurs in the Vermandois family around this time who had a different Carolingian ancestry from the Namur lineage.
    Peter Stewart

You are both obviously more conversant with the sources on these people than I am, so excuse me if I am blundering in here, but doesnt the St.Truid chronicle
    or charter [I'm not sure which] confuse Arnulf and Berta with the counts of
    Flanders? There do seem to be many counts and nobles with the name Arnulf in the sources of the late 10th century. Working out which is which is certainly
    a minefield.

I read on wiki that Arnulf lost Valenciennes to Baldwin V 1006, perhaps this
    was only temporary as Tanner in her book on Boulogne dates this to 1013, and that the Emperor gave Cambresis to the Bishop of Cambrai 1007. Then Arnulf gave Vise to the Bishop to buy his aide to recover his lands, so he seems to have been in a rather weak position when he died. AIUI the marches
    of valenciennes & Eename were erected as a barrier to the Frankish kings invading Lorraine like Lothar had done. By this time the threat was perhaps over

Mike
    Hi Mike
    No problem!
    Quick notes:

1. Just as an FYI, I think a good English version might for the saint and founder might be St. Trudo. Concerning European placenames I follow the 21st habit of using local spellings, mostly, but not always. In Dutch the town where the abbey was is Sint-
    Truiden. I live a short drive away. The local dutch dialect has been immortalized in the Oscar-winning film "Rundskop" (Bullhead).

Sorry, yes i seem to have combined english and dutch and got it both wrong.

2. You are correct to observe that there is a concern about whether the chronicle of the abbey there was making a typical type of genealogists mistake by calling Bertha and Arnulf "Flemish". Peter is arguing that to a certain point, but in reality we
    are not far apart (I think). Certainly the chronicle was wrong if it thought Arnulf was "the" count of Flanders. But he clearly was "a" count of Flanders, at least using the term in the way it was used at that time. You make me think of an interesting
    scenario though. Would the daughters of "the" counts of Flanders be called countesses of Flanders?? Yes they would, and Bertha may well have been a daughter of a count of Flanders.

So calling them count or countess of Flanders is not a title but a more general geographic term? I can
    see that could be the case, but my initial feeling was that the writer thought he was Arnulf the Old.
    But I havnt read the rest of the chronicle to see if they are treated as separate persons.

3. Whether we can equate Arnulf of Cambrai and Arnulf of Valenciennes is not perfectly clear. It is a perfectly reasonable proposal. It is commonly treated as if certain. Peter prefers not to do so, and that is perfectly correct.

Most historians seem to have combined the two, and I also tend to follow that view, but there are plenty of
    Arnulfs to choose from at that time so the defender of Cambrai in 979 could be different from the
    markgrave of the 983, if those dates are correct.

4. Unfortunately I don't think Peter or I are very confident about Richilde being a relative of Arnulf and Bertha. We don't seem to have found a strong reason to prefer that option. There are too many options.

Yes I think you are right. There doesnt seem as yet any hard evidence.

5. Concerning the genealogy you mention this is indeed a gorilla in the room for Peter and myself. I think both of us are saying that this typical proposal is very speculative at almost every step. We do not know who Bertha was married to. I think we
    can simply reject the idea that she was "de Batavie" (the Vanderkindere proposal). Who knows. Maybe she was a daughter of Isaac.

I agree. My purpose in posting this was in case people saw these threads and thought they knew
    the answers from these descents that are freely available to anyone with a net connection.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From lancaster.boon@gmail.com@21:1/5 to mike davis on Tue Mar 21 09:33:42 2023
    On Monday, March 20, 2023 at 10:47:37 PM UTC+1, mike davis wrote:
    On Monday, March 20, 2023 at 6:56:26 PM UTC, lancast...@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks Peter. I see that I scanned that page from Parisse's edition of the necrology but perhaps apparently never really processed it. Crehen is certainly in the right area, and as you note this is definitely a countess. Why the dates differ is
    a mystery, but quite a common thing in medieval necrologies. Arnulf's son is also mentioned in that necrology by the way.
    and in the son's "Viozaz", that I assume both meant Visé. Perhaps Adalbert was count of Cambrai and Arnulf of Valenciennes, or just his father's associate count when Arnulf must have been an old man by the early 11th century (this had happened before in the region without age being the cause, for example in Flanders with Adalulf the younger brother of Arnulf I).

Thierry Stasser followed Vanderkindere in adducing the name Adalbert as
    evidence that Arnulf's wife who donated property in the Darnau was a daughter of the count there and a sister of Adalbert I of Namur. Maybe she was, but the name Adalbert also occurs in the Vermandois family around this time who had a different Carolingian ancestry from the Namur
    lineage.
    Peter Stewart

You are both obviously more conversant with the sources on these people than I am, so excuse me if I am blundering in here, but doesnt the St.Truid chronicle
    Flanders? There do seem to be many counts and nobles with the name Arnulf
    a minefield.

was only temporary as Tanner in her book on Boulogne dates this to 1013, and that the Emperor gave Cambresis to the Bishop of Cambrai 1007. Then Arnulf gave Vise to the Bishop to buy his aide to recover his lands, so he
    seems to have been in a rather weak position when he died. AIUI the marches

Lastly as these threads on Richilde seem to be inclining towards Arnulf of
    Valenciennes, I saw a line of descent repeated on many websites like geni.com,

Mike
    Hi Mike
    No problem!
    Quick notes:

1. Just as an FYI, I think a good English version might for the saint and founder might be St. Trudo. Concerning European placenames I follow the 21st habit of using local spellings, mostly, but not always. In Dutch the town where the abbey was is
    Sint-Truiden. I live a short drive away. The local dutch dialect has been immortalized in the Oscar-winning film "Rundskop" (Bullhead).
    Sorry, yes i seem to have combined english and dutch and got it both wrong.

2. You are correct to observe that there is a concern about whether the chronicle of the abbey there was making a typical type of genealogists mistake by calling Bertha and Arnulf "Flemish". Peter is arguing that to a certain point, but in reality we
    are not far apart (I think). Certainly the chronicle was wrong if it thought Arnulf was "the" count of Flanders. But he clearly was "a" count of Flanders, at least using the term in the way it was used at that time. You make me think of an interesting

So calling them count or countess of Flanders is not a title but a more general geographic term? I can
    see that could be the case, but my initial feeling was that the writer thought he was Arnulf the Old.
    But I havnt read the rest of the chronicle to see if they are treated as separate persons.

Most historians seem to have combined the two, and I also tend to follow that view, but there are plenty of
    Arnulfs to choose from at that time so the defender of Cambrai in 979 could be different from the
    markgrave of the 983, if those dates are correct.

Yes I think you are right. There doesnt seem as yet any hard evidence.
    5. Concerning the genealogy you mention this is indeed a gorilla in the room for Peter and myself. I think both of us are saying that this typical proposal is very speculative at almost every step. We do not know who Bertha was married to. I think we
    can simply reject the idea that she was "de Batavie" (the Vanderkindere proposal). Who knows. Maybe she was a daughter of Isaac.
    I agree. My purpose in posting this was in case people saw these threads and thought they knew
    the answers from these descents that are freely available to anyone with a net connection.

Mike you asked, "So calling them count or countess of Flanders is not a title but a more general geographic term?" It was a term which was used in different ways, but in this period it was generally not geographical. "The" count of Flanders was of course
    a case like the ones we expect from later records. He was a count connected to a geographically straightforward territory which was also a county. But the term still very often had a meaning reflecting its Roman origins, signifying office and status, but
    not necessarily an single stable and contiguous geographical territory called a county. A "comitatus" could be a jurisdiction, and such jurisdictions might have covered specific villas in certain region, but they were not normally a clear way of
    describing a geographical entity. In this period, when imperial records want to describe a territorial entity they used the terms pagus or gau. There are many records which carefully mention both the pagus which a villa is in, as well as who held the
    comital jurisdiction over the place. There was clearly no one-to-one correspondence that the users of such records could rely on.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to lancast...@gmail.com on Wed Apr 5 09:13:53 2023
    On 21-Mar-23 5:56 AM, lancast...@gmail.com wrote:

It's interesting that the son Adalbert is also titled count and credited >>> with the same donation as Arnulf - in the father's case spelled "Viusaz" >>> and in the son's "Viozaz", that I assume both meant Visé. Perhaps
    Adalbert was count of Cambrai and Arnulf of Valenciennes, or just his
    father's associate count when Arnulf must have been an old man by the
    brother of Arnulf I).

evidence that Arnulf's wife who donated property in the Darnau was a
    daughter of the count there and a sister of Adalbert I of Namur. Maybe
    around this time who had a different Carolingian ancestry from the Namur >>> lineage.
    Peter Stewart

or charter [I'm not sure which] confuse Arnulf and Berta with the counts of >> Flanders? There do seem to be many counts and nobles with the name Arnulf
    a minefield.

I read on wiki that Arnulf lost Valenciennes to Baldwin V 1006, perhaps this >> was only temporary as Tanner in her book on Boulogne dates this to 1013,
    and that the Emperor gave Cambresis to the Bishop of Cambrai 1007. Then
    Arnulf gave Vise to the Bishop to buy his aide to recover his lands, so he >> seems to have been in a rather weak position when he died. AIUI the marches >> of valenciennes & Eename were erected as a barrier to the Frankish kings
    invading Lorraine like Lothar had done. By this time the threat was perhaps over

Lastly as these threads on Richilde seem to be inclining towards Arnulf of >> Valenciennes, I saw a line of descent repeated on many websites like geni.com,

Mike

Hi Mike
    No problem!
    Quick notes:

I don't follow your reasoning for 'he clearly was "a" count of Flanders,
    at least using the term in the way it was used at that time' - the time
    in question was the late-14th century, as we have no evidence that the
    terms used then were taken verbatim from any earlier source. Where do
    you find late-14th century references to "comes Flandrensis" or variants
    of this meaning "a" count in the region of Flanders rather than "the"
    count of Flanders? My opinion is that the Sint-Triuden writer wrongly identified Bertha as a widowed countess of Flanders and her son Arnulf
    as the successor of her deceased husband - but this hardly matters
    anyway since it does not negate the historicity of Bertha's visit to Sint-Truiden on her way home from Aachen, or her illness and death on
    the journey, or Arnulf's donation according to her dying wishes.

I don't recall making a comment on this but maybe I've forgotten
    something - I thought I had said (or should have done) that there is a
    limit to how many contemporaneous counts named Arnulf can be reasonably postulated, and that identifying the count of Cambrai with the count of Valenciennes seems sensible enough to me.

There are several alternatives for Richilde and Herman between them -
    one or other, or perhaps both - having some hereditary claim to
    Valenciennes. However, a castellan whose successor was named Isaac had possession of Valenciennes evidently before (or if not very soon after)
    the countship/margraviate was taken up by the Hainaut couple. It is not unlikely than this man, Hugo, represented the kindred paid off in order
    for the fuzzy inheritance to pass into her (or her husband's) hands. I
    will get round to this later, as energy allows.

That is a plausible suggestion - if Isaac was succeeded by his
    son-in-law Amulric, as some historians suppose, and Amulric was
    subsequently divorced from Isaac's daughter for consanguinity, then Valenciennes may have gone after him to Bertha's husband as another
    son-in-law of Isaac. But this is open to other equally plausible
    alternative scenarios.

Peter Stewart

--
    www.avg.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From lancaster.boon@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Peter Stewart on Wed Apr 5 14:08:46 2023
    On Wednesday, April 5, 2023 at 1:13:57 AM UTC+2, Peter Stewart wrote:
    On Monday, March 20, 2023 at 2:45:31 AM UTC+1, Peter Stewart wrote: >>>>
    It's interesting that the son Adalbert is also titled count and credited >>> with the same donation as Arnulf - in the father's case spelled "Viusaz" >>> and in the son's "Viozaz", that I assume both meant Visé. Perhaps
    Adalbert was count of Cambrai and Arnulf of Valenciennes, or just his >>> father's associate count when Arnulf must have been an old man by the >>> early 11th century (this had happened before in the region without age >>> being the cause, for example in Flanders with Adalulf the younger
    brother of Arnulf I).

Thierry Stasser followed Vanderkindere in adducing the name Adalbert as >>> evidence that Arnulf's wife who donated property in the Darnau was a
    daughter of the count there and a sister of Adalbert I of Namur. Maybe >>> she was, but the name Adalbert also occurs in the Vermandois family
    around this time who had a different Carolingian ancestry from the Namur >>> lineage.
    Peter Stewart

You are both obviously more conversant with the sources on these people >> than I am, so excuse me if I am blundering in here, but doesnt the St.Truid chronicle
    Flanders? There do seem to be many counts and nobles with the name Arnulf >> in the sources of the late 10th century. Working out which is which is certainly
    a minefield.

was only temporary as Tanner in her book on Boulogne dates this to 1013, >> and that the Emperor gave Cambresis to the Bishop of Cambrai 1007. Then >> Arnulf gave Vise to the Bishop to buy his aide to recover his lands, so he
    of valenciennes & Eename were erected as a barrier to the Frankish kings >> invading Lorraine like Lothar had done. By this time the threat was perhaps over

Mike

Hi Mike
    No problem!
    Quick notes:

1. Just as an FYI, I think a good English version might for the saint and founder might be St. Trudo. Concerning European placenames I follow the 21st habit of using local spellings, mostly, but not always. In Dutch the town where the abbey was is
    Sint-Truiden. I live a short drive away. The local dutch dialect has been immortalized in the Oscar-winning film "Rundskop" (Bullhead).

count of Flanders? My opinion is that the Sint-Triuden writer wrongly identified Bertha as a widowed countess of Flanders and her son Arnulf
    anyway since it does not negate the historicity of Bertha's visit to Sint-Truiden on her way home from Aachen, or her illness and death on
    limit to how many contemporaneous counts named Arnulf can be reasonably postulated, and that identifying the count of Cambrai with the count of Valenciennes seems sensible enough to me.
    one or other, or perhaps both - having some hereditary claim to Valenciennes. However, a castellan whose successor was named Isaac had possession of Valenciennes evidently before (or if not very soon after)
    the countship/margraviate was taken up by the Hainaut couple. It is not unlikely than this man, Hugo, represented the kindred paid off in order
    subsequently divorced from Isaac's daughter for consanguinity, then Valenciennes may have gone after him to Bertha's husband as another son-in-law of Isaac. But this is open to other equally plausible
    alternative scenarios.
    Peter Stewart

--
    This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software. www.avg.com

Thanks for those clarifications Peter. Just in answer to your first remark. I assume that the 14th century writer was basing himself upon sources we no longer have. As he is the only source we have for some events centuries early, this seems to be a
    difficult conclusion to avoid. So it was therefore possible that it was his source who called Bertha a Flemish countess.
    As I think I mentioned somewhere, it might also be relevant to consider that during the period we are talking about the Karlings were imposing themselves upon the southern part of "Flanders" near Lens where Bertha and her son apparently had some sort of
    foothold. So it was probably not under "the" counts of Flanders.
    Whether our 14th century reporter understood all this is another matter. (Although I don't want to disparage them. They seem to have been quite the antiquarian, with an interest in trying to connect the dots in times long past.)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to lancast...@gmail.com on Thu Apr 6 08:49:51 2023
    On 06-Apr-23 7:08 AM, lancast...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Monday, March 20, 2023 at 2:45:31 AM UTC+1, Peter Stewart wrote: >>>>>>
    It's interesting that the son Adalbert is also titled count and credited >>>>> with the same donation as Arnulf - in the father's case spelled "Viusaz" >>>>> and in the son's "Viozaz", that I assume both meant Visé. Perhaps
    Adalbert was count of Cambrai and Arnulf of Valenciennes, or just his >>>>> father's associate count when Arnulf must have been an old man by the >>>>> early 11th century (this had happened before in the region without age >>>>> being the cause, for example in Flanders with Adalulf the younger
    brother of Arnulf I).

Thierry Stasser followed Vanderkindere in adducing the name Adalbert as >>>>> evidence that Arnulf's wife who donated property in the Darnau was a >>>>> daughter of the count there and a sister of Adalbert I of Namur. Maybe >>>>> she was, but the name Adalbert also occurs in the Vermandois family
    around this time who had a different Carolingian ancestry from the Namur >>>>> lineage.
    Peter Stewart

You are both obviously more conversant with the sources on these people >>>> than I am, so excuse me if I am blundering in here, but doesnt the St.Truid chronicle
    Flanders? There do seem to be many counts and nobles with the name Arnulf >>>> in the sources of the late 10th century. Working out which is which is certainly
    a minefield.

was only temporary as Tanner in her book on Boulogne dates this to 1013, >>>> and that the Emperor gave Cambresis to the Bishop of Cambrai 1007. Then >>>> Arnulf gave Vise to the Bishop to buy his aide to recover his lands, so he >>>> seems to have been in a rather weak position when he died. AIUI the marches
    of valenciennes & Eename were erected as a barrier to the Frankish kings >>>> invading Lorraine like Lothar had done. By this time the threat was perhaps over

Lastly as these threads on Richilde seem to be inclining towards Arnulf of >>>> Valenciennes, I saw a line of descent repeated on many websites like geni.com,

Mike

Hi Mike
    No problem!
    Quick notes:

count of Flanders? My opinion is that the Sint-Triuden writer wrongly
    identified Bertha as a widowed countess of Flanders and her son Arnulf
    anyway since it does not negate the historicity of Bertha's visit to
    Sint-Truiden on her way home from Aachen, or her illness and death on
    limit to how many contemporaneous counts named Arnulf can be reasonably
    postulated, and that identifying the count of Cambrai with the count of
    Valenciennes seems sensible enough to me.
    Valenciennes. However, a castellan whose successor was named Isaac had
    possession of Valenciennes evidently before (or if not very soon after)
    the countship/margraviate was taken up by the Hainaut couple. It is not
    unlikely than this man, Hugo, represented the kindred paid off in order
    subsequently divorced from Isaac's daughter for consanguinity, then
    Valenciennes may have gone after him to Bertha's husband as another
    alternative scenarios.
    Peter Stewart

--
    www.avg.com

Thanks for those clarifications Peter. Just in answer to your first remark. I assume that the 14th century writer was basing himself upon sources we no longer have. As he is the only source we have for some events centuries early, this seems to be a
    difficult conclusion to avoid. So it was therefore possible that it was his source who called Bertha a Flemish countess.
    As I think I mentioned somewhere, it might also be relevant to consider that during the period we are talking about the Karlings were imposing themselves upon the southern part of "Flanders" near Lens where Bertha and her son apparently had some sort
    of foothold. So it was probably not under "the" counts of Flanders.
    Whether our 14th century reporter understood all this is another matter. (Although I don't want to disparage them. They seem to have been quite the antiquarian, with an interest in trying to connect the dots in times long past.)

The trouble with assuming an earlier source for the territorial
    designation is that whenever this was added to the titles countess and
    count it was inaccurate and almost certainly not in the original
    10th-century charter (where such an identifying qualification to a
    comital title would have been very rare in the text and unusual even in
    a list of subscriptions).

Also, any contemporary of Bertha and Arnulf would not have identified a countess and count of Valenciennes as belonging to the region of
    Flanders - in their time these were understood as two distinct
    margraviates in different kingdoms. It would be somewhat like calling a
    US senator from Vermont a senator from the Quebec region.

Peter Stewart

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From lancaster.boon@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Peter Stewart on Thu Apr 6 00:16:46 2023
    On Thursday, April 6, 2023 at 12:49:55 AM UTC+2, Peter Stewart wrote:
    On 06-Apr-23 7:08 AM, lancast...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Monday, March 20, 2023 at 6:20:49 AM UTC, Peter Stewart wrote: >>>>> On 20-Mar-23 4:48 PM, lancast...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Monday, March 20, 2023 at 2:45:31 AM UTC+1, Peter Stewart wrote: >>>>>>
    Thanks Peter. I see that I scanned that page from Parisse's edition of the necrology but perhaps apparently never really processed it. Crehen is certainly in the right area, and as you note this is definitely a countess. Why the dates differ is
    a mystery, but quite a common thing in medieval necrologies. Arnulf's son is also mentioned in that necrology by the way.
    and in the son's "Viozaz", that I assume both meant Visé. Perhaps >>>>> Adalbert was count of Cambrai and Arnulf of Valenciennes, or just his >>>>> father's associate count when Arnulf must have been an old man by the >>>>> early 11th century (this had happened before in the region without age >>>>> being the cause, for example in Flanders with Adalulf the younger >>>>> brother of Arnulf I).

evidence that Arnulf's wife who donated property in the Darnau was a >>>>> daughter of the count there and a sister of Adalbert I of Namur. Maybe >>>>> she was, but the name Adalbert also occurs in the Vermandois family >>>>> around this time who had a different Carolingian ancestry from the Namur
    lineage.
    Peter Stewart

You are both obviously more conversant with the sources on these people >>>> than I am, so excuse me if I am blundering in here, but doesnt the St.Truid chronicle
    Flanders? There do seem to be many counts and nobles with the name Arnulf
    a minefield.

was only temporary as Tanner in her book on Boulogne dates this to 1013,
    and that the Emperor gave Cambresis to the Bishop of Cambrai 1007. Then >>>> Arnulf gave Vise to the Bishop to buy his aide to recover his lands, so he
    of valenciennes & Eename were erected as a barrier to the Frankish kings
    invading Lorraine like Lothar had done. By this time the threat was perhaps over

Mike

Hi Mike
    No problem!
    Quick notes:

2. You are correct to observe that there is a concern about whether the chronicle of the abbey there was making a typical type of genealogists mistake by calling Bertha and Arnulf "Flemish". Peter is arguing that to a certain point, but in reality
    we are not far apart (I think). Certainly the chronicle was wrong if it thought Arnulf was "the" count of Flanders. But he clearly was "a" count of Flanders, at least using the term in the way it was used at that time. You make me think of an interesting
    I don't follow your reasoning for 'he clearly was "a" count of Flanders, >> at least using the term in the way it was used at that time' - the time >> in question was the late-14th century, as we have no evidence that the
    you find late-14th century references to "comes Flandrensis" or variants >> of this meaning "a" count in the region of Flanders rather than "the"
    count of Flanders? My opinion is that the Sint-Triuden writer wrongly
    identified Bertha as a widowed countess of Flanders and her son Arnulf
    anyway since it does not negate the historicity of Bertha's visit to
    Sint-Truiden on her way home from Aachen, or her illness and death on
    limit to how many contemporaneous counts named Arnulf can be reasonably >> postulated, and that identifying the count of Cambrai with the count of >> Valenciennes seems sensible enough to me.
    Valenciennes. However, a castellan whose successor was named Isaac had
    possession of Valenciennes evidently before (or if not very soon after) >> the countship/margraviate was taken up by the Hainaut couple. It is not >> unlikely than this man, Hugo, represented the kindred paid off in order >> for the fuzzy inheritance to pass into her (or her husband's) hands. I
    5. Concerning the genealogy you mention this is indeed a gorilla in the room for Peter and myself. I think both of us are saying that this typical proposal is very speculative at almost every step. We do not know who Bertha was married to. I think
    we can simply reject the idea that she was "de Batavie" (the Vanderkindere proposal). Who knows. Maybe she was a daughter of Isaac.
    subsequently divorced from Isaac's daughter for consanguinity, then
    Valenciennes may have gone after him to Bertha's husband as another
    alternative scenarios.
    Peter Stewart

--
    www.avg.com

As I think I mentioned somewhere, it might also be relevant to consider that during the period we are talking about the Karlings were imposing themselves upon the southern part of "Flanders" near Lens where Bertha and her son apparently had some sort
    of foothold. So it was probably not under "the" counts of Flanders.
    The trouble with assuming an earlier source for the territorial
    designation is that whenever this was added to the titles countess and
    count it was inaccurate and almost certainly not in the original 10th-century charter (where such an identifying qualification to a
    comital title would have been very rare in the text and unusual even in
    a list of subscriptions).

Also, any contemporary of Bertha and Arnulf would not have identified a countess and count of Valenciennes as belonging to the region of
    Flanders - in their time these were understood as two distinct
    margraviates in different kingdoms. It would be somewhat like calling a
    US senator from Vermont a senator from the Quebec region.

Peter Stewart

I agree. The 14th century writer's source may have simply indicated that these were people of comital status from the general direction of Flanders. I was not actually proposing any link to Valenciennes itself in the hypothetical Sint Truiden records
    about Bertha. In fact, calling them Flemish may simply have been based upon the fact that the biggest grant they made was Provin (between Lille and Lens). We know from other records that Arnulf must have had more (perhaps all?) of the small pagus there
    which gets called Carembault, Carembaut, Caribant etc. In later generations it was the Count of Flanders who confirmed the grant, so that's a good reference for saying these counts were based in "Flanders". But Caribant is almost 50km from Valenciennes,
    and there was an "international" border, the Scheldt, between them. So I see no reason to suggest that the Sint Truiden monk would have connected this family with Valenciennes, and in general I don't think Valenciennes would have been seen as part of
    Flanders.

Modern historians and antiquarians found it difficult to prove that Arnulf of Valenciennes was Arnulf the son of Bertha. (Bas Aarts was still not convinced in his relatively recent articles. I think I may have convinced him now.) To make the link
    requires us to look at the Ghent grants which connect both people to Caribant.

Just to imagine possibilities, Bertha may have been a relative to the last Carolingians (in France, on one side of the Scheldt), whose husband was a count of the Hainaut/Cambrai area (in the proto-empire, on the other side). The couple may have benefited
    from the Carolingian forays into the south of Flanders. It was a tricky period in this region. Despite appearing in records in Flemish Ghent, her son Arnulf fought on the imperial side with Godfrey the Captive against the Carolingian-backed Reginars. But
    then a Carolingian, Charles, was given control of the Duchy, giving his friends the Reginars a new foothold in Mons and Louvain. And at the end of his life he faced invasion from the new ally of the Reginars, the count of Flanders. The Reginars and/or
    counts of Flanders may possibly have been kinsmen or allies of Arnulf's parents, but we know that wouldn't stop this type of conflict.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to All on Sat Apr 8 11:06:24 2023
    T24gMDYtQXByLTIzIDU6MTYgUE0sIGxhbmNhc3QuLi5AZ21haWwuY29tIHdyb3RlOg0KPiBP biBUaHVyc2RheSwgQXByaWwgNiwgMjAyMyBhdCAxMjo0OTo1NeKAr0FNIFVUQysyLCBQZXRl ciBTdGV3YXJ0IHdyb3RlOg0KPj4gT24gMDYtQXByLTIzIDc6MDggQU0sIGxhbmNhc3QuLi5A Z21haWwuY29tIHdyb3RlOg0KPj4+IE9uIFdlZG5lc2RheSwgQXByaWwgNSwgMjAyMyBhdCAx OjEzOjU34oCvQU0gVVRDKzIsIFBldGVyIFN0ZXdhcnQgd3JvdGU6DQo+Pj4+IE9uIDIxLU1h ci0yMyA1OjU2IEFNLCBsYW5jYXN0Li4uQGdtYWlsLmNvbSB3cm90ZToNCj4+Pj4+IE9uIE1v bmRheSwgTWFyY2ggMjAsIDIwMjMgYXQgNzozMzo1MOKAr1BNIFVUQysxLCBtaWtlIGRhdmlz IHdyb3RlOg0KPj4+Pj4+IE9uIE1vbmRheSwgTWFyY2ggMjAsIDIwMjMgYXQgNjoyMDo0OeKA r0FNIFVUQywgUGV0ZXIgU3Rld2FydCB3cm90ZToNCj4+Pj4+Pj4gT24gMjAtTWFyLTIzIDQ6 NDggUE0sIGxhbmNhc3QuLi5AZ21haWwuY29tIHdyb3RlOg0KPj4+Pj4+Pj4gT24gTW9uZGF5 LCBNYXJjaCAyMCwgMjAyMyBhdCAyOjQ1OjMx4oCvQU0gVVRDKzEsIFBldGVyIFN0ZXdhcnQg d3JvdGU6DQo+Pj4+Pj4+Pg0KPj4+Pj4+Pj4gVGhhbmtzIFBldGVyLiBJIHNlZSB0aGF0IEkg c2Nhbm5lZCB0aGF0IHBhZ2UgZnJvbSBQYXJpc3NlJ3MgZWRpdGlvbiBvZiB0aGUgbmVjcm9s b2d5IGJ1dCBwZXJoYXBzIGFwcGFyZW50bHkgbmV2ZXIgcmVhbGx5IHByb2Nlc3NlZCBpdC4g Q3JlaGVuIGlzIGNlcnRhaW5seSBpbiB0aGUgcmlnaHQgYXJlYSwgYW5kIGFzIHlvdSBub3Rl IHRoaXMgaXMgZGVmaW5pdGVseSBhIGNvdW50ZXNzLiBXaHkgdGhlIGRhdGVzIGRpZmZlciBp cyBhIG15c3RlcnksIGJ1dCBxdWl0ZSBhIGNvbW1vbiB0aGluZyBpbiBtZWRpZXZhbCBuZWNy b2xvZ2llcy4gQXJudWxmJ3Mgc29uIGlzIGFsc28gbWVudGlvbmVkIGluIHRoYXQgbmVjcm9s b2d5IGJ5IHRoZSB3YXkuDQo+Pj4+Pj4+IEl0J3MgaW50ZXJlc3RpbmcgdGhhdCB0aGUgc29u IEFkYWxiZXJ0IGlzIGFsc28gdGl0bGVkIGNvdW50IGFuZCBjcmVkaXRlZA0KPj4+Pj4+PiB3 aXRoIHRoZSBzYW1lIGRvbmF0aW9uIGFzIEFybnVsZiAtIGluIHRoZSBmYXRoZXIncyBjYXNl IHNwZWxsZWQgIlZpdXNheiINCj4+Pj4+Pj4gYW5kIGluIHRoZSBzb24ncyAiVmlvemF6Iiwg dGhhdCBJIGFzc3VtZSBib3RoIG1lYW50IFZpc8OpLiBQZXJoYXBzDQo+Pj4+Pj4+IEFkYWxi ZXJ0IHdhcyBjb3VudCBvZiBDYW1icmFpIGFuZCBBcm51bGYgb2YgVmFsZW5jaWVubmVzLCBv ciBqdXN0IGhpcw0KPj4+Pj4+PiBmYXRoZXIncyBhc3NvY2lhdGUgY291bnQgd2hlbiBBcm51 bGYgbXVzdCBoYXZlIGJlZW4gYW4gb2xkIG1hbiBieSB0aGUNCj4+Pj4+Pj4gZWFybHkgMTF0 aCBjZW50dXJ5ICh0aGlzIGhhZCBoYXBwZW5lZCBiZWZvcmUgaW4gdGhlIHJlZ2lvbiB3aXRo b3V0IGFnZQ0KPj4+Pj4+PiBiZWluZyB0aGUgY2F1c2UsIGZvciBleGFtcGxlIGluIEZsYW5k ZXJzIHdpdGggQWRhbHVsZiB0aGUgeW91bmdlcg0KPj4+Pj4+PiBicm90aGVyIG9mIEFybnVs ZiBJKS4NCj4+Pj4+Pj4NCj4+Pj4+Pj4gVGhpZXJyeSBTdGFzc2VyIGZvbGxvd2VkIFZhbmRl cmtpbmRlcmUgaW4gYWRkdWNpbmcgdGhlIG5hbWUgQWRhbGJlcnQgYXMNCj4+Pj4+Pj4gZXZp ZGVuY2UgdGhhdCBBcm51bGYncyB3aWZlIHdobyBkb25hdGVkIHByb3BlcnR5IGluIHRoZSBE YXJuYXUgd2FzIGENCj4+Pj4+Pj4gZGF1Z2h0ZXIgb2YgdGhlIGNvdW50IHRoZXJlIGFuZCBh IHNpc3RlciBvZiBBZGFsYmVydCBJIG9mIE5hbXVyLiBNYXliZQ0KPj4+Pj4+PiBzaGUgd2Fz LCBidXQgdGhlIG5hbWUgQWRhbGJlcnQgYWxzbyBvY2N1cnMgaW4gdGhlIFZlcm1hbmRvaXMg ZmFtaWx5DQo+Pj4+Pj4+IGFyb3VuZCB0aGlzIHRpbWUgd2hvIGhhZCBhIGRpZmZlcmVudCBD YXJvbGluZ2lhbiBhbmNlc3RyeSBmcm9tIHRoZSBOYW11cg0KPj4+Pj4+PiBsaW5lYWdlLg0K Pj4+Pj4+PiBQZXRlciBTdGV3YXJ0DQo+Pj4+Pj4+DQo+Pj4+Pj4gWW91IGFyZSBib3RoIG9i dmlvdXNseSBtb3JlIGNvbnZlcnNhbnQgd2l0aCB0aGUgc291cmNlcyBvbiB0aGVzZSBwZW9w bGUNCj4+Pj4+PiB0aGFuIEkgYW0sIHNvIGV4Y3VzZSBtZSBpZiBJIGFtIGJsdW5kZXJpbmcg aW4gaGVyZSwgYnV0IGRvZXNudCB0aGUgU3QuVHJ1aWQgY2hyb25pY2xlDQo+Pj4+Pj4gb3Ig Y2hhcnRlciBbSSdtIG5vdCBzdXJlIHdoaWNoXSBjb25mdXNlIEFybnVsZiBhbmQgQmVydGEg d2l0aCB0aGUgY291bnRzIG9mDQo+Pj4+Pj4gRmxhbmRlcnM/IFRoZXJlIGRvIHNlZW0gdG8g YmUgbWFueSBjb3VudHMgYW5kIG5vYmxlcyB3aXRoIHRoZSBuYW1lIEFybnVsZg0KPj4+Pj4+ IGluIHRoZSBzb3VyY2VzIG9mIHRoZSBsYXRlIDEwdGggY2VudHVyeS4gV29ya2luZyBvdXQg d2hpY2ggaXMgd2hpY2ggaXMgY2VydGFpbmx5DQo+Pj4+Pj4gYSBtaW5lZmllbGQuDQo+Pj4+ Pj4NCj4+Pj4+PiBJIHJlYWQgb24gd2lraSB0aGF0IEFybnVsZiBsb3N0IFZhbGVuY2llbm5l cyB0byBCYWxkd2luIFYgMTAwNiwgcGVyaGFwcyB0aGlzDQo+Pj4+Pj4gd2FzIG9ubHkgdGVt cG9yYXJ5IGFzIFRhbm5lciBpbiBoZXIgYm9vayBvbiBCb3Vsb2duZSBkYXRlcyB0aGlzIHRv IDEwMTMsDQo+Pj4+Pj4gYW5kIHRoYXQgdGhlIEVtcGVyb3IgZ2F2ZSBDYW1icmVzaXMgdG8g dGhlIEJpc2hvcCBvZiBDYW1icmFpIDEwMDcuIFRoZW4NCj4+Pj4+PiBBcm51bGYgZ2F2ZSBW aXNlIHRvIHRoZSBCaXNob3AgdG8gYnV5IGhpcyBhaWRlIHRvIHJlY292ZXIgaGlzIGxhbmRz LCBzbyBoZQ0KPj4+Pj4+IHNlZW1zIHRvIGhhdmUgYmVlbiBpbiBhIHJhdGhlciB3ZWFrIHBv c2l0aW9uIHdoZW4gaGUgZGllZC4gQUlVSSB0aGUgbWFyY2hlcw0KPj4+Pj4+IG9mIHZhbGVu Y2llbm5lcyAmIEVlbmFtZSB3ZXJlIGVyZWN0ZWQgYXMgYSBiYXJyaWVyIHRvIHRoZSBGcmFu a2lzaCBraW5ncw0KPj4+Pj4+IGludmFkaW5nIExvcnJhaW5lIGxpa2UgTG90aGFyIGhhZCBk b25lLiBCeSB0aGlzIHRpbWUgdGhlIHRocmVhdCB3YXMgcGVyaGFwcyBvdmVyDQo+Pj4+Pj4g YW5kIHRoZXkgd2VyZSBubyBsb25nZXIgbmVlZGVkLg0KPj4+Pj4+DQo+Pj4+Pj4gTGFzdGx5 IGFzIHRoZXNlIHRocmVhZHMgb24gUmljaGlsZGUgc2VlbSB0byBiZSBpbmNsaW5pbmcgdG93 YXJkcyBBcm51bGYgb2YNCj4+Pj4+PiBWYWxlbmNpZW5uZXMsIEkgc2F3IGEgbGluZSBvZiBk ZXNjZW50IHJlcGVhdGVkIG9uIG1hbnkgd2Vic2l0ZXMgbGlrZSBnZW5pLmNvbSwNCj4+Pj4+ PiB3aGljaCBoYXZlIHRoZSBmb2xsb3dpbmcgZm9yIEFybnVsZiBvZiBWYWxlbmNpZW5uZXM6 DQo+Pj4+Pj4NCj4+Pj4+PiAxIENoYXJsZXMgdGhlIEJhbGQgbSBFcm1lbnRydWRlDQo+Pj4+ Pj4NCj4+Pj4+PiAyIEp1ZGl0aCBtIEJhbGR3aW4gSSBvZiBGbGFuZGVycyBkODc5DQo+Pj4+ Pj4NCj4+Pj4+PiAzIFJhb3VsIFtSb2R1bGZdIENvdW50IG9mIENhbWJyYWkgayA4OTYNCj4+ Pj4+Pg0KPj4+Pj4+IDQgZGF1IFtzb21ldGltZXMgY2FsbGVkIEp1ZGl0aF0gbSBJc2FhYyBD b3VudCBvZiBDYW1icmFpIDkwOC00Ng0KPj4+Pj4+DQo+Pj4+Pj4gNSBBcm51bGYgSSwgc29u IG9mIElzYWFjIDk0MSwgQ291bnQgW29mIENhbWJyYWk/XSA5NjAgbSBCZXJ0YSBvZiBCYXRh dmllIGQ5NjcNCj4+Pj4+Pg0KPj4+Pj4+IDYgQXJudWxmIElJIHRoZSBZb3VuZ2VyIEN0IG9m IENhbWJyYWkgOTc5IE1hcmtncmFmICYgQ3Qgb2YgVmFsZW5jaWVubmVzIDk4MyBkIDEwMTFv cjEyIG0gTGV0Z2FyZGUgb2YgTmFtdXINCj4+Pj4+Pg0KPj4+Pj4+IFRoZSBvbmx5IHdvcnRo d2hpbGUgcmVmZXJlbmNlIHdhcyBFUyBJSSw1IHdoaWNoIEkgdGFrZSB0byBtZWFuIHRoZSBF dXJvcGFpc2NoZSBTdHVkaWVuIHNlcmllcy4NCj4+Pj4+Pg0KPj4+Pj4+IE1pa2UNCj4+Pj4+ DQo+Pj4+PiBIaSBNaWtlDQo+Pj4+PiBObyBwcm9ibGVtIQ0KPj4+Pj4gUXVpY2sgbm90ZXM6 DQo+Pj4+Pg0KPj4+Pj4gMS4gSnVzdCBhcyBhbiBGWUksIEkgdGhpbmsgYSBnb29kIEVuZ2xp c2ggdmVyc2lvbiBtaWdodCBmb3IgdGhlIHNhaW50IGFuZCBmb3VuZGVyIG1pZ2h0IGJlIFN0 LiBUcnVkby4gQ29uY2VybmluZyBFdXJvcGVhbiBwbGFjZW5hbWVzIEkgZm9sbG93IHRoZSAy MXN0IGhhYml0IG9mIHVzaW5nIGxvY2FsIHNwZWxsaW5ncywgbW9zdGx5LCBidXQgbm90IGFs d2F5cy4gSW4gRHV0Y2ggdGhlIHRvd24gd2hlcmUgdGhlIGFiYmV5IHdhcyBpcyBTaW50LVRy dWlkZW4uIEkgbGl2ZSBhIHNob3J0IGRyaXZlIGF3YXkuIFRoZSBsb2NhbCBkdXRjaCBkaWFs ZWN0IGhhcyBiZWVuIGltbW9ydGFsaXplZCBpbiB0aGUgT3NjYXItd2lubmluZyBmaWxtICJS dW5kc2tvcCIgKEJ1bGxoZWFkKS4NCj4+Pj4+DQo+Pj4+PiAyLiBZb3UgYXJlIGNvcnJlY3Qg dG8gb2JzZXJ2ZSB0aGF0IHRoZXJlIGlzIGEgY29uY2VybiBhYm91dCB3aGV0aGVyIHRoZSBj aHJvbmljbGUgb2YgdGhlIGFiYmV5IHRoZXJlIHdhcyBtYWtpbmcgYSB0eXBpY2FsIHR5cGUg b2YgZ2VuZWFsb2dpc3RzIG1pc3Rha2UgYnkgY2FsbGluZyBCZXJ0aGEgYW5kIEFybnVsZiAi RmxlbWlzaCIuIFBldGVyIGlzIGFyZ3VpbmcgdGhhdCB0byBhIGNlcnRhaW4gcG9pbnQsIGJ1 dCBpbiByZWFsaXR5IHdlIGFyZSBub3QgZmFyIGFwYXJ0IChJIHRoaW5rKS4gQ2VydGFpbmx5 IHRoZSBjaHJvbmljbGUgd2FzIHdyb25nIGlmIGl0IHRob3VnaHQgQXJudWxmIHdhcyAidGhl IiBjb3VudCBvZiBGbGFuZGVycy4gQnV0IGhlIGNsZWFybHkgd2FzICJhIiBjb3VudCBvZiBG bGFuZGVycywgYXQgbGVhc3QgdXNpbmcgdGhlIHRlcm0gaW4gdGhlIHdheSBpdCB3YXMgdXNl ZCBhdCB0aGF0IHRpbWUuIFlvdSBtYWtlIG1lIHRoaW5rIG9mIGFuIGludGVyZXN0aW5nIHNj ZW5hcmlvIHRob3VnaC4gV291bGQgdGhlIGRhdWdodGVycyBvZiAidGhlIiBjb3VudHMgb2Yg RmxhbmRlcnMgYmUgY2FsbGVkIGNvdW50ZXNzZXMgb2YgRmxhbmRlcnM/PyBZZXMgdGhleSB3 b3VsZCwgYW5kIEJlcnRoYSBtYXkgd2VsbCBoYXZlIGJlZW4gYSBkYXVnaHRlciBvZiBhIGNv dW50IG9mIEZsYW5kZXJzLg0KPj4+PiBJIGRvbid0IGZvbGxvdyB5b3VyIHJlYXNvbmluZyBm b3IgJ2hlIGNsZWFybHkgd2FzICJhIiBjb3VudCBvZiBGbGFuZGVycywNCj4+Pj4gYXQgbGVh c3QgdXNpbmcgdGhlIHRlcm0gaW4gdGhlIHdheSBpdCB3YXMgdXNlZCBhdCB0aGF0IHRpbWUn IC0gdGhlIHRpbWUNCj4+Pj4gaW4gcXVlc3Rpb24gd2FzIHRoZSBsYXRlLTE0dGggY2VudHVy eSwgYXMgd2UgaGF2ZSBubyBldmlkZW5jZSB0aGF0IHRoZQ0KPj4+PiB0ZXJtcyB1c2VkIHRo ZW4gd2VyZSB0YWtlbiB2ZXJiYXRpbSBmcm9tIGFueSBlYXJsaWVyIHNvdXJjZS4gV2hlcmUg ZG8NCj4+Pj4geW91IGZpbmQgbGF0ZS0xNHRoIGNlbnR1cnkgcmVmZXJlbmNlcyB0byAiY29t ZXMgRmxhbmRyZW5zaXMiIG9yIHZhcmlhbnRzDQo+Pj4+IG9mIHRoaXMgbWVhbmluZyAiYSIg Y291bnQgaW4gdGhlIHJlZ2lvbiBvZiBGbGFuZGVycyByYXRoZXIgdGhhbiAidGhlIg0KPj4+ PiBjb3VudCBvZiBGbGFuZGVycz8gTXkgb3BpbmlvbiBpcyB0aGF0IHRoZSBTaW50LVRyaXVk ZW4gd3JpdGVyIHdyb25nbHkNCj4+Pj4gaWRlbnRpZmllZCBCZXJ0aGEgYXMgYSB3aWRvd2Vk IGNvdW50ZXNzIG9mIEZsYW5kZXJzIGFuZCBoZXIgc29uIEFybnVsZg0KPj4+PiBhcyB0aGUg c3VjY2Vzc29yIG9mIGhlciBkZWNlYXNlZCBodXNiYW5kIC0gYnV0IHRoaXMgaGFyZGx5IG1h dHRlcnMNCj4+Pj4gYW55d2F5IHNpbmNlIGl0IGRvZXMgbm90IG5lZ2F0ZSB0aGUgaGlzdG9y aWNpdHkgb2YgQmVydGhhJ3MgdmlzaXQgdG8NCj4+Pj4gU2ludC1UcnVpZGVuIG9uIGhlciB3 YXkgaG9tZSBmcm9tIEFhY2hlbiwgb3IgaGVyIGlsbG5lc3MgYW5kIGRlYXRoIG9uDQo+Pj4+ IHRoZSBqb3VybmV5LCBvciBBcm51bGYncyBkb25hdGlvbiBhY2NvcmRpbmcgdG8gaGVyIGR5 aW5nIHdpc2hlcy4NCj4+Pj4+IDMuIFdoZXRoZXIgd2UgY2FuIGVxdWF0ZSBBcm51bGYgb2Yg Q2FtYnJhaSBhbmQgQXJudWxmIG9mIFZhbGVuY2llbm5lcyBpcyBub3QgcGVyZmVjdGx5IGNs ZWFyLiBJdCBpcyBhIHBlcmZlY3RseSByZWFzb25hYmxlIHByb3Bvc2FsLiBJdCBpcyBjb21t b25seSB0cmVhdGVkIGFzIGlmIGNlcnRhaW4uIFBldGVyIHByZWZlcnMgbm90IHRvIGRvIHNv LCBhbmQgdGhhdCBpcyBwZXJmZWN0bHkgY29ycmVjdC4NCj4+Pj4gSSBkb24ndCByZWNhbGwg bWFraW5nIGEgY29tbWVudCBvbiB0aGlzIGJ1dCBtYXliZSBJJ3ZlIGZvcmdvdHRlbg0KPj4+ PiBzb21ldGhpbmcgLSBJIHRob3VnaHQgSSBoYWQgc2FpZCAob3Igc2hvdWxkIGhhdmUgZG9u ZSkgdGhhdCB0aGVyZSBpcyBhDQo+Pj4+IGxpbWl0IHRvIGhvdyBtYW55IGNvbnRlbXBvcmFu ZW91cyBjb3VudHMgbmFtZWQgQXJudWxmIGNhbiBiZSByZWFzb25hYmx5DQo+Pj4+IHBvc3R1 bGF0ZWQsIGFuZCB0aGF0IGlkZW50aWZ5aW5nIHRoZSBjb3VudCBvZiBDYW1icmFpIHdpdGgg dGhlIGNvdW50IG9mDQo+Pj4+IFZhbGVuY2llbm5lcyBzZWVtcyBzZW5zaWJsZSBlbm91Z2gg dG8gbWUuDQo+Pj4+PiA0LiBVbmZvcnR1bmF0ZWx5IEkgZG9uJ3QgdGhpbmsgUGV0ZXIgb3Ig SSBhcmUgdmVyeSBjb25maWRlbnQgYWJvdXQgUmljaGlsZGUgYmVpbmcgYSByZWxhdGl2ZSBv ZiBBcm51bGYgYW5kIEJlcnRoYS4gV2UgZG9uJ3Qgc2VlbSB0byBoYXZlIGZvdW5kIGEgc3Ry b25nIHJlYXNvbiB0byBwcmVmZXIgdGhhdCBvcHRpb24uIFRoZXJlIGFyZSB0b28gbWFueSBv cHRpb25zLg0KPj4+PiBUaGVyZSBhcmUgc2V2ZXJhbCBhbHRlcm5hdGl2ZXMgZm9yIFJpY2hp bGRlIGFuZCBIZXJtYW4gYmV0d2VlbiB0aGVtIC0NCj4+Pj4gb25lIG9yIG90aGVyLCBvciBw ZXJoYXBzIGJvdGggLSBoYXZpbmcgc29tZSBoZXJlZGl0YXJ5IGNsYWltIHRvDQo+Pj4+IFZh bGVuY2llbm5lcy4gSG93ZXZlciwgYSBjYXN0ZWxsYW4gd2hvc2Ugc3VjY2Vzc29yIHdhcyBu YW1lZCBJc2FhYyBoYWQNCj4+Pj4gcG9zc2Vzc2lvbiBvZiBWYWxlbmNpZW5uZXMgZXZpZGVu dGx5IGJlZm9yZSAob3IgaWYgbm90IHZlcnkgc29vbiBhZnRlcikNCj4+Pj4gdGhlIGNvdW50 c2hpcC9tYXJncmF2aWF0ZSB3YXMgdGFrZW4gdXAgYnkgdGhlIEhhaW5hdXQgY291cGxlLiBJ dCBpcyBub3QNCj4+Pj4gdW5saWtlbHkgdGhhbiB0aGlzIG1hbiwgSHVnbywgcmVwcmVzZW50 ZWQgdGhlIGtpbmRyZWQgcGFpZCBvZmYgaW4gb3JkZXINCj4+Pj4gZm9yIHRoZSBmdXp6eSBp bmhlcml0YW5jZSB0byBwYXNzIGludG8gaGVyIChvciBoZXIgaHVzYmFuZCdzKSBoYW5kcy4g SQ0KPj4+PiB3aWxsIGdldCByb3VuZCB0byB0aGlzIGxhdGVyLCBhcyBlbmVyZ3kgYWxsb3dz Lg0KPj4+Pj4gNS4gQ29uY2VybmluZyB0aGUgZ2VuZWFsb2d5IHlvdSBtZW50aW9uIHRoaXMg aXMgaW5kZWVkIGEgZ29yaWxsYSBpbiB0aGUgcm9vbSBmb3IgUGV0ZXIgYW5kIG15c2VsZi4g SSB0aGluayBib3RoIG9mIHVzIGFyZSBzYXlpbmcgdGhhdCB0aGlzIHR5cGljYWwgcHJvcG9z YWwgaXMgdmVyeSBzcGVjdWxhdGl2ZSBhdCBhbG1vc3QgZXZlcnkgc3RlcC4gV2UgZG8gbm90 IGtub3cgd2hvIEJlcnRoYSB3YXMgbWFycmllZCB0by4gSSB0aGluayB3ZSBjYW4gc2ltcGx5 IHJlamVjdCB0aGUgaWRlYSB0aGF0IHNoZSB3YXMgImRlIEJhdGF2aWUiICh0aGUgVmFuZGVy a2luZGVyZSBwcm9wb3NhbCkuIFdobyBrbm93cy4gTWF5YmUgc2hlIHdhcyBhIGRhdWdodGVy IG9mIElzYWFjLg0KPj4+PiBUaGF0IGlzIGEgcGxhdXNpYmxlIHN1Z2dlc3Rpb24gLSBpZiBJ c2FhYyB3YXMgc3VjY2VlZGVkIGJ5IGhpcw0KPj4+PiBzb24taW4tbGF3IEFtdWxyaWMsIGFz IHNvbWUgaGlzdG9yaWFucyBzdXBwb3NlLCBhbmQgQW11bHJpYyB3YXMNCj4+Pj4gc3Vic2Vx dWVudGx5IGRpdm9yY2VkIGZyb20gSXNhYWMncyBkYXVnaHRlciBmb3IgY29uc2FuZ3Vpbml0 eSwgdGhlbg0KPj4+PiBWYWxlbmNpZW5uZXMgbWF5IGhhdmUgZ29uZSBhZnRlciBoaW0gdG8g QmVydGhhJ3MgaHVzYmFuZCBhcyBhbm90aGVyDQo+Pj4+IHNvbi1pbi1sYXcgb2YgSXNhYWMu IEJ1dCB0aGlzIGlzIG9wZW4gdG8gb3RoZXIgZXF1YWxseSBwbGF1c2libGUNCj4+Pj4gYWx0 ZXJuYXRpdmUgc2NlbmFyaW9zLg0KPj4+PiBQZXRlciBTdGV3YXJ0DQo+Pj4+DQo+Pj4+IC0t IA0KPj4+PiBUaGlzIGVtYWlsIGhhcyBiZWVuIGNoZWNrZWQgZm9yIHZpcnVzZXMgYnkgQVZH IGFudGl2aXJ1cyBzb2Z0d2FyZS4NCj4+Pj4gd3d3LmF2Zy5jb20NCj4+Pg0KPj4+IFRoYW5r cyBmb3IgdGhvc2UgY2xhcmlmaWNhdGlvbnMgUGV0ZXIuIEp1c3QgaW4gYW5zd2VyIHRvIHlv dXIgZmlyc3QgcmVtYXJrLiBJIGFzc3VtZSB0aGF0IHRoZSAxNHRoIGNlbnR1cnkgd3JpdGVy IHdhcyBiYXNpbmcgaGltc2VsZiB1cG9uIHNvdXJjZXMgd2Ugbm8gbG9uZ2VyIGhhdmUuIEFz IGhlIGlzIHRoZSBvbmx5IHNvdXJjZSB3ZSBoYXZlIGZvciBzb21lIGV2ZW50cyBjZW50dXJp ZXMgZWFybHksIHRoaXMgc2VlbXMgdG8gYmUgYSBkaWZmaWN1bHQgY29uY2x1c2lvbiB0byBh dm9pZC4gU28gaXQgd2FzIHRoZXJlZm9yZSBwb3NzaWJsZSB0aGF0IGl0IHdhcyBoaXMgc291 cmNlIHdobyBjYWxsZWQgQmVydGhhIGEgRmxlbWlzaCBjb3VudGVzcy4NCj4+PiBBcyBJIHRo aW5rIEkgbWVudGlvbmVkIHNvbWV3aGVyZSwgaXQgbWlnaHQgYWxzbyBiZSByZWxldmFudCB0 byBjb25zaWRlciB0aGF0IGR1cmluZyB0aGUgcGVyaW9kIHdlIGFyZSB0YWxraW5nIGFib3V0 IHRoZSBLYXJsaW5ncyB3ZXJlIGltcG9zaW5nIHRoZW1zZWx2ZXMgdXBvbiB0aGUgc291dGhl cm4gcGFydCBvZiAiRmxhbmRlcnMiIG5lYXIgTGVucyB3aGVyZSBCZXJ0aGEgYW5kIGhlciBz b24gYXBwYXJlbnRseSBoYWQgc29tZSBzb3J0IG9mIGZvb3Rob2xkLiBTbyBpdCB3YXMgcHJv YmFibHkgbm90IHVuZGVyICJ0aGUiIGNvdW50cyBvZiBGbGFuZGVycy4NCj4+PiBXaGV0aGVy IG91ciAxNHRoIGNlbnR1cnkgcmVwb3J0ZXIgdW5kZXJzdG9vZCBhbGwgdGhpcyBpcyBhbm90 aGVyIG1hdHRlci4gKEFsdGhvdWdoIEkgZG9uJ3Qgd2FudCB0byBkaXNwYXJhZ2UgdGhlbS4g VGhleSBzZWVtIHRvIGhhdmUgYmVlbiBxdWl0ZSB0aGUgYW50aXF1YXJpYW4sIHdpdGggYW4g aW50ZXJlc3QgaW4gdHJ5aW5nIHRvIGNvbm5lY3QgdGhlIGRvdHMgaW4gdGltZXMgbG9uZyBw YXN0LikNCj4+IFRoZSB0cm91YmxlIHdpdGggYXNzdW1pbmcgYW4gZWFybGllciBzb3VyY2Ug Zm9yIHRoZSB0ZXJyaXRvcmlhbA0KPj4gZGVzaWduYXRpb24gaXMgdGhhdCB3aGVuZXZlciB0 aGlzIHdhcyBhZGRlZCB0byB0aGUgdGl0bGVzIGNvdW50ZXNzIGFuZA0KPj4gY291bnQgaXQg d2FzIGluYWNjdXJhdGUgYW5kIGFsbW9zdCBjZXJ0YWlubHkgbm90IGluIHRoZSBvcmlnaW5h bA0KPj4gMTB0aC1jZW50dXJ5IGNoYXJ0ZXIgKHdoZXJlIHN1Y2ggYW4gaWRlbnRpZnlpbmcg cXVhbGlmaWNhdGlvbiB0byBhDQo+PiBjb21pdGFsIHRpdGxlIHdvdWxkIGhhdmUgYmVlbiB2 ZXJ5IHJhcmUgaW4gdGhlIHRleHQgYW5kIHVudXN1YWwgZXZlbiBpbg0KPj4gYSBsaXN0IG9m IHN1YnNjcmlwdGlvbnMpLg0KPj4NCj4+IEFsc28sIGFueSBjb250ZW1wb3Jhcnkgb2YgQmVy dGhhIGFuZCBBcm51bGYgd291bGQgbm90IGhhdmUgaWRlbnRpZmllZCBhDQo+PiBjb3VudGVz cyBhbmQgY291bnQgb2YgVmFsZW5jaWVubmVzIGFzIGJlbG9uZ2luZyB0byB0aGUgcmVnaW9u IG9mDQo+PiBGbGFuZGVycyAtIGluIHRoZWlyIHRpbWUgdGhlc2Ugd2VyZSB1bmRlcnN0b29k IGFzIHR3byBkaXN0aW5jdA0KPj4gbWFyZ3JhdmlhdGVzIGluIGRpZmZlcmVudCBraW5nZG9t cy4gSXQgd291bGQgYmUgc29tZXdoYXQgbGlrZSBjYWxsaW5nIGENCj4+IFVTIHNlbmF0b3Ig ZnJvbSBWZXJtb250IGEgc2VuYXRvciBmcm9tIHRoZSBRdWViZWMgcmVnaW9uLg0KPj4NCj4+ IFBldGVyIFN0ZXdhcnQNCj4gDQo+IEkgYWdyZWUuIFRoZSAxNHRoIGNlbnR1cnkgd3JpdGVy J3Mgc291cmNlIG1heSBoYXZlIHNpbXBseSBpbmRpY2F0ZWQgdGhhdCB0aGVzZSB3ZXJlIHBl b3BsZSBvZiBjb21pdGFsIHN0YXR1cyBmcm9tIHRoZSBnZW5lcmFsIGRpcmVjdGlvbiBvZiBG bGFuZGVycy4gSSB3YXMgbm90IGFjdHVhbGx5IHByb3Bvc2luZyBhbnkgbGluayB0byBWYWxl bmNpZW5uZXMgaXRzZWxmIGluIHRoZSBoeXBvdGhldGljYWwgU2ludCBUcnVpZGVuIHJlY29y ZHMgYWJvdXQgQmVydGhhLiBJbiBmYWN0LCBjYWxsaW5nIHRoZW0gRmxlbWlzaCBtYXkgc2lt cGx5IGhhdmUgYmVlbiBiYXNlZCB1cG9uIHRoZSBmYWN0IHRoYXQgdGhlIGJpZ2dlc3QgZ3Jh bnQgdGhleSBtYWRlIHdhcyBQcm92aW4gKGJldHdlZW4gTGlsbGUgYW5kIExlbnMpLiBXZSBr bm93IGZyb20gb3RoZXIgcmVjb3JkcyB0aGF0IEFybnVsZiBtdXN0IGhhdmUgaGFkIG1vcmUg KHBlcmhhcHMgYWxsPykgb2YgdGhlIHNtYWxsIHBhZ3VzIHRoZXJlIHdoaWNoIGdldHMgY2Fs bGVkIENhcmVtYmF1bHQsIENhcmVtYmF1dCwgQ2FyaWJhbnQgZXRjLiBJbiBsYXRlciBnZW5l cmF0aW9ucyBpdCB3YXMgdGhlIENvdW50IG9mIEZsYW5kZXJzIHdobyBjb25maXJtZWQgdGhl IGdyYW50LCBzbyB0aGF0J3MgYSBnb29kIHJlZmVyZW5jZSBmb3Igc2F5aW5nIHRoZXNlIGNv dW50cyB3ZXJlIGJhc2VkIGluICJGbGFuZGVycyIuIEJ1dCBDYXJpYmFudCBpcyBhbG1vc3Qg NTBrbSBmcm9tIFZhbGVuY2llbm5lcywgYW5kIHRoZXJlIHdhcyBhbiAiaW50ZXJuYXRpb25h bCIgYm9yZGVyLCB0aGUgU2NoZWxkdCwgYmV0d2VlbiB0aGVtLiBTbyBJIHNlZSBubyByZWFz b24gdG8gc3VnZ2VzdCB0aGF0IHRoZSBTaW50IFRydWlkZW4gbW9uayB3b3VsZCBoYXZlIGNv bm5lY3RlZCB0aGlzIGZhbWlseSB3aXRoIFZhbGVuY2llbm5lcywgYW5kIGluIGdlbmVyYWwg SSBkb24ndCB0aGluayBWYWxlbmNpZW5uZXMgd291bGQgaGF2ZSBiZWVuIHNlZW4gYXMgcGFy dCBvZiBGbGFuZGVycy4NCg0KSXQgY2FuJ3QgdmVyeSB3ZWxsIGhhdmUgYmVlbiwgc2luY2Ug RmxhbmRlcnMgd2FzIHBhcnQgb2YgdGhlIFdlc3QgDQpGcmFua2lzaCBraW5nZG9tIHdoaWxl IFZhbGVuY2llbm5lcyBiZWxvbmdlZCB0byB0aGUgR2VybWFuIGVtcGlyZS4gVGhlIA0KZmFj dCB0aGF0IGEgY2hyb25pY2xlciBpbiB0aGUgbGF0ZS0xNHRoIGNlbnR1cnkgYXNzdW1lZCBh IDEwdGgtY2VudHVyeSANCmNvdW50IG5hbWVkIEFybnVsZiB0byBoYXZlIGJlZW4gdGhlIHJ1 bGVyIG9mIEZsYW5kZXJzIGhhcyBubyByZWFsIA0KYmVhcmluZyBvbiB0aGlzIG9yIG9uIHRo ZSBzb3VyY2Ugb2YgaGlzIGluZm9ybWF0aW9uLCB3aGljaCB3YXMgcXVpdGUgDQpwcm9iYWJs eSBoaXMgYWJiZXkncyBjb3VudGVycGFydCBvZiB0aGUgb3JpZ2luYWwgOTY3IGNoYXJ0ZXIg bmFtaW5nIA0KQXJudWxmIHdpdGggdGhlIHRpdGxlIGNvdW50IGJ1dCAoaW4gY29tbW9uIHdp dGggdGhlIHZhc3QgbWFqb3JpdHkgb2YgDQpzdWNoIGRvY3VtZW50cyBmcm9tIHRoZSB0aW1l KSBubyB0ZXJyaXRvcmlhbCBkZXNpZ25hdGlvbiBhdCBhbGwuDQoNCj4gTW9kZXJuIGhpc3Rv cmlhbnMgYW5kIGFudGlxdWFyaWFucyBmb3VuZCBpdCBkaWZmaWN1bHQgdG8gcHJvdmUgdGhh dCBBcm51bGYgb2YgVmFsZW5jaWVubmVzIHdhcyBBcm51bGYgdGhlIHNvbiBvZiBCZXJ0aGEu IChCYXMgQWFydHMgd2FzIHN0aWxsIG5vdCBjb252aW5jZWQgaW4gaGlzIHJlbGF0aXZlbHkg cmVjZW50IGFydGljbGVzLiBJIHRoaW5rIEkgbWF5IGhhdmUgY29udmluY2VkIGhpbSBub3cu KSBUbyBtYWtlIHRoZSBsaW5rIHJlcXVpcmVzIHVzIHRvIGxvb2sgYXQgdGhlIEdoZW50IGdy YW50cyB3aGljaCBjb25uZWN0IGJvdGggcGVvcGxlIHRvIENhcmliYW50Lg0KDQpUaGUgcXVl c3Rpb25zIG9mIGhvdyBtYW55IEFybnVsZnMgdGhlcmUgbWF5IGhhdmUgYmVlbiBpbiB0aGUg DQpWYWxlbmNpZW5uZXMgbGluZWFnZSBhbmQgb2YgaG93IG1hbnkgb3RoZXIgY291bnRzIG5h bWVkIEFybnVsZiB0aGVyZSANCndlcmUgaW4gdGhlIHBlbnVtYnJhIG9mIEZsYW5kZXJzIGR1 cmluZyB0aGUgdGltZSBvZiBCZXJ0aGEncyBzb24gY2Fubm90IA0KYmUgZGVmaW5pdGl2ZWx5 IHJlc29sdmVkIG9uIHRoZSBhdmFpbGFibGUgZXZpZGVuY2UuDQoNCk9uIHRoZSBmaXJzdCBw b2ludCwgVmFuZGVya2luZGVyZSBtYWRlIGEgc2xpcCBvdmVyIHRoZSBjb21pdGFsIHRpdGxl IGhlIA0Kd3JvbmdseSB0aG91Z2h0IGhhZCBiZWVuIGFjY29yZGVkIHRvIElzYWFjIG9mIENh bWJyYWkncyBzb24gQXJudWxmIGluIGEgDQpjaGFydGVyIG9mIHRoZSBjb3VudCBvZiBGbGFu ZGVycyBkYXRlZCA1IE1heSA5NDEuIEhlIHRoZW4gc3VwcG9zZWQgDQooZmFpcmx5IHJlYXNv bmFibHksIGV2ZW4gZGlzcmVnYXJkaW5nIGhpcyBlcnJvcikgdGhhdCB0aGlzIEFybnVsZiBz b24gb2YgDQpJc2FhYyBjYW5ub3QgaGF2ZSBiZWVuIHRoZSBzYW1lIG1hbiBhcyBCZXJ0aGEn cyBzb24gd2hvIGxpdmVkIHVudGlsIHRoZSANCnNlY29uZCBkZWNhZGUgb2YgdGhlIDExdGgg Y2VudHVyeSwgc28gdGhhdCB0aGVyZSBtdXN0IGhhdmUgYmVlbiB0d28gDQpjb3VudHMgbmFt ZWQgQXJudWxmIGluIHN1Y2Nlc3Npb24gYWZ0ZXIgSXNhYWMsIHRoZSBzZWNvbmQgb2Ygd2hv bSB3YXMgDQpCZXJ0aGEncyBzb24uIEphbiBEaG9uZHQgZGlzcHV0ZWQgdGhpcyBvbiB0aGUg YmFzaXMgdGhhdCBjaGFydGVycyB3ZXJlIA0Kc29tZXRpbWVzIHN1YnNjcmliZWQgYnkgaW5m YW50cyBhbmQgdGhhdCBJc2FhYydzIHNvbiBtYXkgaGF2ZSBiZWVuIGEgDQp5b3VuZyBjaGls ZCBpbiBNYXkgOTQxIC0gdGhpcyBpcyB0cnVlIGluIGdlbmVyYWwgYnV0IGltcGxhdXNpYmxl IGluIHRoZSANCnBhcnRpY3VsYXIgaW5zdGFuY2UsIHNpbmNlIHRoZSBjaGFydGVyIHdhcyBu b3QgYW4gYWN0IG9mIElzYWFjIHJlZ2FyZGluZyANCnByb3BlcnR5IGluIHdoaWNoIGhpcyBp bmZhbnQgc29uIG1heSBoYXZlIGhhZCBhbnkgZnV0dXJlIGhlcmVkaXRhcnkgDQppbnRlcmVz dCwgYW5kIHRoZSBjaGFydGVyIHdhcyBpc3N1ZWQgaW4gR2hlbnQgd2hlcmUgSXNhYWMgaXMg aGFyZGx5IA0KbGlrZWx5IHRvIGhhdmUgdHJhdmVsbGVkIGZyb20gQ2FtYnJhaSB3aXRoIGFu IGluZmFudCBpbiB0b3cuIEhvd2V2ZXIsIGlmIA0KaGlzIHNvbiBBcm51bGYgd2FzIGFyb3Vu ZCAxNSBhdCB0aGUgdGltZSBvZiBzdWJzY3JpYmluZyB0aGUgOTQxIGNoYXJ0ZXIgDQpoZSB3 b3VsZCBoYXZlIGJlZW4gaW4gaGlzIG1pZC04MHMgd2hlbiBkeWluZyBpbiAxMDExLzEyLCBh bmQgdGhpcyBpcyBub3QgDQpzbyBleGNlcHRpb25hbCBhcyB0byByZXF1aXJlIGFuIGludGVy dmVuaW5nIGdlbmVyYXRpb24uIEluIG90aGVyIHdvcmRzLCANCmZvciBhbGwgd2UgY2FuIHBy b3ZlIEJlcnRoYSBtYXkgaGF2ZSBiZWVuIElzYWFjJ3Mgd2lmZSwgZGF1Z2h0ZXIgb3IgDQpk YXVnaHRlci1pbi1sYXcuIElzYWFjJ3Mgc29uIChvciBwZXJoYXBzIGdyYW5kc29uKSBBcm51 bGYgaGFkIGxvc3QgaGlzIA0Kb3duIHNvbiBhbmQgKGF0IGxlYXN0IGJyaWVmbHkpIHBvc3Nl c3Npb24gb2YgVmFsZW5jaWVubmVzIGJ5IHRoZSBlbmQgb2YgDQp3aGF0IG1heSBoYXZlIGJl ZW4gYSBsb25nIGxpZmUgLSBhbmQgZm9yIHRoYXQgbWF0dGVyIGhpcyBoZWlybGVzcyANCmRl YmlsaXR5IGluIG9sZCBhZ2UgbWF5IGhhdmUgYmVlbiBhIHByZXRleHQgZm9yIHRoZSBjb3Vu dCBvZiBGbGFuZGVycyB0byANCnRha2Ugb3ZlciBWYWxlbmNpZW5uZXMgaW4gMTAwNi4NCg0K QXMgdG8gaG93IG1hbnkgb3RoZXIgY291bnRzIG5hbWVkIEFybnVsZiB0aGVyZSBtYXkgaGF2 ZSBiZWVuLCB0aGlzIA0KY2Fubm90IGJlIGFuc3dlcmVkIHdpdGggYW55IGNlcnRhaW50eSBi ZWZvcmUgKG9yIGFmdGVyKSA5NjIsIHdoZW4gQXJudWxmIA0KdGhlIHNvbiBvZiBBZGFsb2xm IHdhcyBpbnN0YWxsZWQgYXMgY291bnQgb2YgQm91bG9nbmUgJiBUZXJub2lzIGluIGEgDQpw ZWFjZSBzZXR0bGVtZW50IHdpdGggaGlzIHBhdGVybmFsIHVuY2xlIEFybnVsZiBJIG9mIEZs YW5kZXJzLiBBZGFsb2xmIA0KaGFkIGRpZWQgaW4gOTMzLCBhbmQgdGhlIGVsZGVyIG9mIGhp cyB0d28gc29ucyAoYm90aCBwcmVzdW1hYmx5IHVuZGVyYWdlIA0KYXQgdGhlIHRpbWUpIG1h eSBoYXZlIGJlZW4gY2FsbGVkIGNvdW50IGZyb20gdGhlbiBvbiBhbHRob3VnaCBoaXMgDQpu YW1lc2FrZSB1bmNsZSB0b29rIG92ZXIgQm91bG9nbmUgYW5kIFRlcm5vaXMgYWxvbmcgd2l0 aCB0aGUgbGF5IGFiYmFjeSANCm9mIFNhaW50LUJlcnRpbiB1bnRpbCA5NjIuIFdlIGRvbid0 IGtub3cgd2hlcmUgQXJudWxmIG9mIEJvdWxvZ25lIHdhcyBpbiANCnRoaXMgbG9uZyBpbnRl cnZhbCwgYnV0IGl0IGlzIG1vcmUgcHJvYmFibGUgdGhhdCBoZSBsaXZlZCBhdCB0aGUgY29t aXRhbCANCmNvdXJ0IGluIEZsYW5kZXJzIHJhdGhlciB0aGFuIGJlaW5nIGxldCBsb29zZSBm b3IgMjkgeWVhcnMuIEFkYWxvbGYncyANCnNvbnMgaGFkIHRoZSBtZWFucyB0byBvcHBvc2Ug dGhlaXIgdW5jbGUgYnkgdGhlIGVhcmx5IDk2MHMsIHdoZW4gdGhlIA0KeW91bmdlciBicm90 aGVyIHdhcyBraWxsZWQgYW5kIHRoZSBraW5nIGludGVydmVuZWQgdG8gZXN0YWJsaXNoIHRo ZSANCmVsZGVyIGFzIGNvdW50IGluIEJvdWxvZ25lLiBIZSBtYXkgaGF2ZSBiZWVuIGFja25v d2xlZGdlZCBieSBoaXMgdW5jbGUgDQphcyBhIHRpdHVsYXIgY291bnQgZnJvbSA5MzMgb253 YXJkcy4NCg0KVGhlcmUgd2VyZSB0d28gY291bnRzIG5hbWVkIEFybnVsZiBvY2N1cnJpbmcg dG9nZXRoZXIgYXMgc3Vic2NyaWJlcnMgaW4gDQp0aGUgKHBzZXVkbz8tb3JpZ2luYWwpIGNo YXJ0ZXIgb2YgQmFsZHVpbiBJViBvZiBGbGFuZGVycyBkYXRlZCAxIEFwcmlsIA0KOTg4LCBq dXN0IGFmdGVyIHRoZSBkZWF0aCBvZiBBcm51bGYgSUkgb2YgRmxhbmRlcnMuIE9uZSBvZiB0 aGVzZSBpcyANCnNvbWV0aW1lcyB0aG91Z2h0IHRvIGhhdmUgYmVlbiBBcm51bGYgb2YgV2Vz dCBGcmllc2xhbmQsIHRpdGxlZCBhcyBjb3VudCANCm9mIEdoZW50IGFsdGhvdWdoIGhpcyBm YXRoZXIgd2FzIHN0aWxsIGxpdmluZyBhbmQgc3Vic2NyaWJlZCB0aGUgc2FtZSANCmNoYXJ0 ZXIuIFRoaXMgaWRlbnRpZmljYXRpb24gaXMgZnVydGhlciBjb21wbGljYXRlZCBieSBoaXMg aGF2aW5nIGEgDQpjbG9zZSByZWxhdGl2ZSAtIHBlcmhhcHMgYSBtYXRlcm5hbCBoYWxmLWJy b3RoZXIgLSBhbHNvIG5hbWVkIEFybnVsZiwgDQpzb24gb2YgSGlsZHVpbiwgd2hvIHdhcyBw b3NzaWJseSBjb3VudCAob3Igc29uIG9mIGEgY291bnQpIG9mIFRvdXJuYWkgDQphbmQvb3Ig TW9udGRpZGllci4gRnJhc2VyIE1jTmFpciBpbiAyMDE3IHRob3VnaHQgdGhhdCB0aGVzZSB0 d28gQXJudWxmcyANCndlcmUgYm90aCBzb25zIGJ5IGRpZmZlcmVudCBodXNiYW5kcyBvZiBI aWxkZWdhcmQgd2hvbSBoZSB0aG91Z2h0IHRvIA0KaGF2ZSBiZWVuIHRoZSBzaXN0ZXIgb2Yg QXJudWxmIEkgb2YgRmxhbmRlcnMsIG9yIHBlcmhhcHMgaGlzIGRhdWdodGVyLiANClNoZSBj YW4ndCB2ZXJ5IHBsYXVzaWJseSBoYXZlIGJlZW4gaGlzIHNpc3RlciwgYmVjYXVzZSB0aGlz IHdvdWxkIG1ha2UgDQpoZXIgZGF1Z2h0ZXIgb2YgcGFyZW50cyB3aG8gbWFycmllZCBpbiB0 aGUgODgwcyB3aGVyZWFzIHNoZSBoZXJzZWxmIA0KbWFycmllZCBhbmQgaGFkIG9mZnNwcmlu ZyBpbiB0aGUgOTQwcy4NCg0KSSB0aGluayBpdCBsaWtlbHkgdGhhdCB0aGUgdHdvIGNvdW50 cyBBcm51bGYgaW4gdGhlIDk4OCBjaGFydGVyIHdlcmUgDQpCZXJ0aGEncyBzb24gb2YgQ2Ft YnJhaSAmIFZhbGVuY2llbm5lcyBhbmQgZWl0aGVyIEhpbGRlZ2FyZCdzIHNvbiBBcm51bGYg DQpvZiBXZXN0IEZyaWVzbGFuZCBvciBBZGFsb2xmJ3MgZ3JhbmRzb24gQXJudWxmIElJIChF cm5pY3VsZSkgb2YgQm91bG9nbmUgDQotIGhvd2V2ZXIsIGlmIHRoZSBsYXR0ZXIgd2FzIHN0 aWxsIGxpdmluZyB0aGVyZSBpcyBhIGZ1cnRoZXIgZGlmZmljdWx0eSANCmluIGlkZW50aWZ5 aW5nIGEgY291bnQgQmFsZHVpbiB3aG8gYWxzbyBzdWJzY3JpYmVkIHRoZSBjaGFydGVyLCB3 aG8gbWF5IA0KaGF2ZSBiZWVuIGhpcyBzdWNjZXNzb3IuIFRoZSBjaGFuY2VzIG9mIHlldCBh bm90aGVyIGNvdW50IEFybnVsZiBjYW5ub3QgDQpiZSBlbGltaW5hdGVkLCBidXQgd2l0aG91 dCBhZGRpdGlvbmFsIGV2aWRlbmNlIEkgY2FuJ3Qgc2VlIGEgc29saWQgYmFzaXMgDQpmb3Ig YXNjcmliaW5nIG9uZSB0byBWYWxlbmNpZW5uZXMgYW5kIGFub3RoZXIgdG8gQ2FtYnJhaS4N Cg0KUGV0ZXIgU3Rld2FydA0KDQo=

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05