• Aelfwine, husband of Wulfgyth

From Lewis Buckingham@21:1/5 to All on Tue Mar 14 16:06:23 2023
    I've been looking into the Family of Wulfgyth, Edwin, and Ketel from Norfolk - probably best known from Dorothy Whitelock's Anglo Saxon Wills.

In the notes to Wulfgyth's Will, she mentions that Wulfgyth was the Widow of Aelfwine, as per Twysden's Decem Scriptore, column 2224. This is in reference to a grant Wulfgyth and a Godwin made of Stisted and Coggleshall to St Augustine's Abbey.

I've seen this repeated elsewhere, but when I looked at Twysden, I couldn't find any reference to an Aelfwine at all.

See page on archive.org here:

https://archive.org/details/historiaeanglica00twys/page/n1185/mode/2up?view=theater

Wulfgyth gives land in Stisted in her Will, which seems to correlate her with the "Wlgith" of Twysden.

She also makes a bequest for her soul, that of her "Lord Aelfwine" and those of her Children in her Will. This makes it seems he was indeed her husband. But I can't help thinking it possible he was her actual Lord, as opposed to her husband.

Has there been any further study that clarifies Dorothy's reference to Wulfgyth as Aelfwine's Widow in Twysden?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)