• Morison with one R - Clan history and or Origins - Trying to trace info

From =?UTF-8?Q?Ren=C3=A9_Morison?=@21:1/5 to All on Sun Mar 5 09:55:10 2023
    Hi There,

There is plenty of info on Clan Morrison but I am a Morison and I am struggling to find more information ,
    I did find some online material that shows Morison was possible the first name of the Morrison but with not enough source materail, I am doubtful on its validity as its wiki..

Link here :
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morison

if anyone has directions to info i am looking ot discover roots, Coat of arms etc and flesh out the family tree but online is not very plush with info unlike Morrison is.

hoping someone can help.

Regards
    René

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From taf@21:1/5 to All on Sun Mar 5 10:53:01 2023
    On Sunday, March 5, 2023 at 9:55:12 AM UTC-8, René Morison wrote:
    Hi There,

There is plenty of info on Clan Morrison but I am a Morison and I am struggling to find more information ,
    I did find some online material that shows Morison was possible the first name of the Morrison but with not enough source materail, I am doubtful on its validity as its wiki..

We are talking about a time before there was standardized spelling, when as often as not the spelling used reflected the whim of the local scribes and broader orthographic trends rather than a conscious spelling switch within the family. Any claim to '
    this is the original spelling' has to be taken with a big grain of salt, particularly when such 'ours is the real original spelling' claims of precedence are rather common among those with minority-spellings. More importantly, though, there is no reason
    to assume the Morrison/Morisons were a monolythic group, given that there were likely any number of independent families descended from people named Maurice. As such, even if the clan Morrisons descended from people who spelled their name Morison, that
    really says nothing about your own Morison family.

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)