• Re: Lucy le Bret, wife of Hugh de Vautort/Valletort and Richard de Cham

From Michael UK@21:1/5 to taf on Thu Mar 2 22:32:56 2023
    On Wednesday, 24 October 2018 at 08:06:11 UTC+1, taf wrote:
    On Tuesday, October 23, 2018 at 10:11:28 PM UTC-7, Matt A wrote:

One wonders if Trevaga is interchangeable with Treuger. At the
    proof of age of William Botreaux, Sept. 18, 1359, there is a
    "John de Treuger, aged 56 years and more"
    I was skeptical of this, but then I followed back your Feudal Aids reference. You had provided that John held Trevaga, which Richard had held. In 1303, we find Richard:

De Ricardo Trevag pro un. f. Mortonie ibidem (scil. in Trevag, in the margin " Botreaus '')

and in 1306:

Ricardus Trevaga tenet un. f. in Trevaga de Willelmo de Botreaus.

The Trevaga family held their land of the Botreaux family, so it might make sense that John de Trevaga would testify regarding the proof of age of the latest William de Botreaux. If this is the case it gives us strong chronology for at least this one
    Vautort son-in-law.

Feudal Aids gives other forms of the toponym, Treveeg and Trevag. Following on, by 1428 this seems to have been split up.

Robertus Haye, Thomas Uppeton, Johannes Talkarn, Johannes Bante et
    Johannes Warlegan simul cum aliis tenent separatim inter se tres partes un. f. m. in Trevage, quod Ricardus Trevage quondam tenuit, ita quod nullus eorum tenet quartam partem predicti feodi, et sic subsidium inde, quia minus quarta parte -------- [niehil].

Willelmus Hay tenet quartam partem un. f. ni. in Trevage, quod idem
    Ricardus Trevage quondam tenuit. Inde subsidium - - . xx. d.

I will add that it had been assumed that Cecilia died s.p., because there was no evidence of her share being represented. However, given that John de Trevaga seems to have transferred her 1/6 of Bokelund to the Richard de Champernoun, it is not a given
    that whatever other rights she might have inherited weren't likewise dispersed - later Trevagas might be her issue.

taf

"the editors of the Episcopal Register of Bishop Edmund Stafford places Trevaga as 'Trevage in Alternon' (Altarnun)." - I'm certain that this assignment is correct, the manor is currently spelled Trevague (Altarnun Parish), it has previously been
    documented as Trevage, Treuaga, Treiaga, Trevaga, Trevagau (Domesday) etc etc.

You may find the following interesting (bear in mind that Trevague covers a relatively small geographic area) - the names/places that you quoted above provide some geographical context, so "Thomas Uppeton" of Upton Castle - the castle remains lie within
    a mile of Trevague, "Johannes Talkarn", Tolcarne Manor lies within 1.5 miles of Trevague. In other documents Trevague is associated with Trewynt/Trwint, Tredawell/Tredaule, Treuatha/Trebartha and with Treloske/Trelaske, all of which are within a couple
    of miles of the centre of Trevague Manor. Therefore the geographical context works very well, versus the documentary evidence.

My property is within the Manor of Trevague (a few hundred metres from the ancient manor "Townplace"/Centre). It was formerly owned by Richard and Margaret de Trevage (around 1400), and was subsequently owned by Henry Champernowne (1733). This might be
    relevant to your research?

Also, I assume you've previously seen the following reference, which links some of the names in this thread :- "Court in this parish is the chief barton of the manor and lordship of Brannel, both which appertained to the Earls of Cornwall in right of
    that earldom; which King John, who also was Earl of Cornwall, settled upon his second son Richard, born in the 11th year of his reign, Anno Dom. 1209, afterwards King of the Romans, who had issue by his concubine Joan de Valletorta, widow of Sir
    Alexander Oakeston aforesaid, a base son named Richard de Cornwall, (and a daughter named Joan, married to Champernowne) on whom he settled this manor of Brannel and barton of Court; who 449had issue Wiliam de Cornwall or Plantagenet, and Geffery de
    Cornwall, afterwards knighted by King Edward I. ancestor of the famous family of the Cornwalls of Burford in Shropshire, whose posterity had been twenty-two times sheriffs of those counties and Bedfordshire to the 10th of King James.", link here - https:
    //www.gutenberg.org/files/60557/60557-h/60557-h.htm

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)