• Richilde, Countess of Hainaut

From taf@21:1/5 to All on Sun Feb 26 18:30:12 2023
    I have come across a 2018 artilce by Frans J Van Droogenbroeck that concludes Richilde, Countess of Hainaut, was child of Reinier de Hasnon by a daughter of Hugh IV of Egisheim, with that Reinier being paternal grandson of Lambert of Louvain, and
    maternal grandson of Baldwin IV of Flanders. Unfortunately for me, but fortunately for others here, the article appears to be in Dutch, which is not high on my list of fluency. I would appreciate a summary of the argument (if it is worth summarizing) if
    any of our Dutch-competent participants can parse it.

Frans J Van Droogenbroeck, "De markenruil Ename – Valenciennes en de investituur van de graaf van Vlaanderen in de mark Ename", Handelingen van de Geschieden Oudheidkundige Kring van Oudenaarde 55 (2018) 47-127

https://www.academia.edu/35663101

In particular, see summary chart, p. 72.

Without having read it, I have to say this solution seems problematic. This pedigree would make her second cousin of husband #1, Herman, and first cousin once-removed, of #2, Baldwin VI, neither of which one would expect to be ignored by the church (but
    maybe the author addresses this?)

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to taf on Mon Feb 27 15:57:56 2023
    On 27-Feb-23 1:30 PM, taf wrote:
    I have come across a 2018 artilce by Frans J Van Droogenbroeck that concludes Richilde, Countess of Hainaut, was child of Reinier de Hasnon by a daughter of Hugh IV of Egisheim, with that Reinier being paternal grandson of Lambert of Louvain, and
    maternal grandson of Baldwin IV of Flanders. Unfortunately for me, but fortunately for others here, the article appears to be in Dutch, which is not high on my list of fluency. I would appreciate a summary of the argument (if it is worth summarizing) if

Frans J Van Droogenbroeck, "De markenruil Ename – Valenciennes en de investituur van de graaf van Vlaanderen in de mark Ename", Handelingen van de Geschieden Oudheidkundige Kring van Oudenaarde 55 (2018) 47-127

Without having read it, I have to say this solution seems problematic. This pedigree would make her second cousin of husband #1, Herman, and first cousin once-removed, of #2, Baldwin VI, neither of which one would expect to be ignored by the church (
    but maybe the author addresses this?)

In the chart on p. 72, Van Droogenbroeck makes Richilde into a second
    (not first) cousin once removed to her first husband. Such a pesky
    little thing as probability never gets in the way of this author when he
    has the bit between his revisionist's teeth.

His shaky understanding (to put it kindly) of medieval sources is
    indicated on p. 56 where he mistranslates "et ipsum comitatum
    Valencenensem comitatus Hanoniensis et castri Montensis honori
    addiderunt" (they [Herman and Richilde] added the county of Valenciennes
    to the honor of the county of Hainaut and the castle of Mons) as if they
    had added it "in an honorable manner" (op eervolle wijze).

Peter Stewart

--
    This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software.
    www.avg.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From lancaster.boon@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Peter Stewart on Mon Feb 27 03:27:07 2023
    On Monday, February 27, 2023 at 5:57:58 AM UTC+1, Peter Stewart wrote:

Without having read it, I have to say this solution seems problematic. This pedigree would make her second cousin of husband #1, Herman, and first cousin once-removed, of #2, Baldwin VI, neither of which one would expect to be ignored by the church (

Peter Stewart

It has been a while since I looked at these articles but I think there is a whole bundle of proposals and some are less convincing than others. One simple question: is there really a convincing explanation about Richilde's ancestry?

Perhaps a second one. Peter concerning the citation you make, do you agree with the interpretation that Gislebert of Mons was saying that Richilde had her own claim of inheritance upon Valenciennes, distinct from

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From taf@21:1/5 to Peter Stewart on Mon Feb 27 08:05:17 2023
    On Sunday, February 26, 2023 at 8:57:58 PM UTC-8, Peter Stewart wrote:

(not first) cousin once removed to her first husband.

Yes. He shows Richilde as daughter of Reinier, son of Reinier, son of Lambert of Louvain, and Herman was grandson of Lambert's brother Reinier IV via Reinier V. However, he also refers there to Richilde's paternal grandmother as 'a daughter of Baldwin
    IV of Flanders', so Baldwin V would be her great-uncle, and Baldwin VI a first-cousin-once.

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Enno Borgsteede@21:1/5 to All on Mon Feb 27 19:44:11 2023
    Op 27-02-2023 om 03:30 schreef taf:

Well, I'm Dutch, but at the moment I'm too busy to translate the whole reasoning for you. It's on pages 70 - 73, so it should be small enough
    for Google translate.

When you have that, I'll be happy to answer questions that may arise
    from things that were lost in translation.

He does, in the 2nd paragraph of p. 104. I found that by looking for the
    word 'dispensatie'. According to the author, dispensation was given by
    Pope Leo IX.

Enno

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hans Vogels@21:1/5 to All on Mon Feb 27 11:49:45 2023
    Op maandag 27 februari 2023 om 17:05:18 UTC+1 schreef taf:

Without having read it, I have to say this solution seems problematic. This pedigree would make her second cousin of husband #1, Herman, and first cousin once-removed, of #2, Baldwin VI, neither of which one would expect to be ignored by the church
    (but maybe the author addresses this?)
    Yes. He shows Richilde as daughter of Reinier, son of Reinier, son of Lambert of Louvain, and Herman was grandson of Lambert's brother Reinier IV via Reinier V. However, he also refers there to Richilde's paternal grandmother as 'a daughter of Baldwin
    IV of Flanders', so Baldwin V would be her great-uncle, and Baldwin VI a first-cousin-once.

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hans Vogels@21:1/5 to All on Mon Feb 27 11:54:05 2023

Without having read it, I have to say this solution seems problematic. This pedigree would make her second cousin of husband #1, Herman, and first cousin once-removed, of #2, Baldwin VI, neither of which one would expect to be ignored by the church
    (but maybe the author addresses this?)

taf

The author let me outside the forum know, that he can do little or nothing to change his view of Richilde's lineage. He wonders why Peter Stewart's uses this kind of taunting remark. The sketched relationship is supported by source material (Bishop of
    Cambrai intervenes and approves marriage).
    The translation problem can easily be solved with Google's translation machine.

Hans Vogels

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From taf@21:1/5 to Hans Vogels on Mon Feb 27 12:55:49 2023
    On Monday, February 27, 2023 at 11:54:07 AM UTC-8, Hans Vogels wrote:

Except for some reason I can't lift the text from the PDF. I would have to retype it all, and I have a hard enough time typing when I know the language.

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From lancaster.boon@gmail.com@21:1/5 to taf on Mon Feb 27 13:06:00 2023
    On Monday, February 27, 2023 at 9:55:51 PM UTC+1, taf wrote:
    On Monday, February 27, 2023 at 11:54:07 AM UTC-8, Hans Vogels wrote:

Except for some reason I can't lift the text from the PDF. I would have to retype it all, and I have a hard enough time typing when I know the language.

taf

There seems to be a translation function within academia itself now?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Enno Borgsteede@21:1/5 to All on Mon Feb 27 22:40:30 2023
    Op 27-02-2023 om 21:55 schreef taf:

You may be able to do that with an alternative PDF viewer. When I use
    the one that's built in Linux Mint, text selection by dragging is
    spoiled by the watermark, but I can still use select all and copy to put everything onto the clipboard and paste it into LibreOffice Writer.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to Hans Vogels on Tue Feb 28 09:41:49 2023
    On 28-Feb-23 6:54 AM, Hans Vogels wrote:

taf

The author let me outside the forum know, that he can do little or nothing to change his view of Richilde's lineage. He wonders why Peter Stewart's uses this kind of taunting remark. The sketched relationship is supported by source material (Bishop of
    Cambrai intervenes and approves marriage).

I'm afraid this response fits the pattern of Van Droogenbroeck's work - ignoring the difficulty that he didn't even recognise 'honori' as a
    dative noun in a salient context and yet not understanding why I might
    suggest he is a headstrong revisionist.

As to Richilde's lineage he accepts (p. 73), on the sole and outlying
    authority of 'Flandria generosa' written in the mid-1160s, that she may
    have been a niece of Pope Leo IX, daughter of a purported sister of his
    with no extant medieval documentation; and he claims (p. 104), on the
    same basis although misrepresenting the source and/or conflating it with another (but without citing it in either case), that Leo had granted a dispensation for her marriage in the 5th degree of consanguinity to
    Balduin VI of Flanders.

There is no support at all for a blood relationship between Richilde and
    Leo IX in any other source where mention of such a noteworthy connection
    would be expected, and even 'Flandria generosa' only says Leo agreed
    that Balduin and Richilde could stay together as a chaste couple
    explicitly because of the blood relationship between Balduin and her
    prior husband Herman - not over a 5th degree relationship between
    Balduin and Richilde themselves ("Balduinus [VI] ... duxit uxorem
    Richeldem comitissam Haionensem, ut illum comitatum etiam haberet per
    eam ... A domno tamen Ingelberto Cameracensi et Atrebatensi episcopo cum Richelde sua excommunicatus est, eo quod per incestum adulterio peiorem
    cognati sui Herimanni comitis uxorem duxisset; sed a domno papa Leone
    nono, eiusdem Richeldis avunculo, hanc meruerunt indulgentiam, ut in
    coniugio quidem, sed absque carnali commixtione manerent").

Herman of Tournai, writing two decades earlier, said nothing about a relationship with the pope or about his granting a dispensation, but did
    report that he declared the marriage illicit due to consanguinity
    between the husband and wife themselves, forecasting that Balduin's
    descendants would not hold either Flanders or Hainaut for long, which
    proved to be the case ("Hic [Balduinus VI] ... Richeldem, uxorem
    Hermanni Montensis comitis, post mortem eius coniugem duxit ... Quod
    audiens Leo tunc temporis papa Romanus, qui prius fuerat Tullensis
    episcopus et vocabatur Bruno, dixit coniugium illud non esse legitimum
    quoniam consanguinitatis linea propinqui erant, prophetavitque posteros Balduini non diu possessuros utrumque comitatum. Quod verum fuisse finis probavit.").

Fudging details in order to bolster the argument for a novel
    interpretation may make a splash with some readers but as a research
    method it doesn't make for conscientious scholarship.

Peter Stewart

--
    www.avg.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to lancast...@gmail.com on Tue Feb 28 10:13:22 2023
    On 27-Feb-23 10:27 PM, lancast...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Monday, February 27, 2023 at 5:57:58 AM UTC+1, Peter Stewart wrote:

Peter Stewart

It has been a while since I looked at these articles but I think there is a whole bundle of proposals and some are less convincing than others. One simple question: is there really a convincing explanation about Richilde's ancestry?

Perhaps a second one. Peter concerning the citation you make, do you agree with the interpretation that Gislebert of Mons was saying that Richilde had her own claim of inheritance upon Valenciennes, distinct from

Gislebert wrote that Richilde and Herman added Valenciennes to the
    honour of Hainaut and Mons by hereditary right and buy-out of noble
    claimants after the count had died without a direct heir ("Sciendum
    igitur quod Hermannus comes, qui comes Montensis dicebatur ... uxorem
    habuit Richildem comitissam ... qui defuncto comite Valencenensi absque
    proprii corporis herede tam jure hereditario quam coemptione facta cum quibusdam nobilibus qui in hereditate illa reclamabant, sibi in
    proprietatem comitatum illum vendicaverunt et ipsum comitatum
    Valencenensem comitatus Hanoniensis et castri Montensis honori addiderunt.")

The couple's right to acquire Valenciennes probably belonged to Richilde
    rather than to Herman, as implied by the use of "coemptio" which in
    classical Latin meant the acquisition of the bride's inheritance by a
    pretended sale to avoid family obligations, but Gislebert does not
    specify this much less explain how it came about. Her origin remains an unsolved puzzle.

Peter Stewart

--
    www.avg.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Raf Ceustermans@21:1/5 to All on Tue Feb 28 04:24:14 2023
    Maybe to provide some additional background:
    The extra branch of the counts of Leuven that Van Droogenbroeck proposed and where he places Richilde starts with a Reinier, who he sees as the third son of Lambert I and Gerberga. This Reinier would then be the grandfather of Richilde. This Reinier is
    absent from the 13th century chronicles and genealogies of the counts of Leuven and and dukes of Brabant. He appears first in the mid 15th century in the work of Peter a Thymo. He wrote a chronicle which is a mix of copies of old documents and some
    historical notes, written in Latin. In one part a Thymo publishes a text on the youth of duke Godfrey I. It's a very fantastical tale where Godfrey goes east, allies with Gengis Khan, fights a giant in Georgia, and in the end marries Sophie, the only
    daughter of the German emperor. A Thymo used as source a story written in Dutch, now largely lost. The text was studied by Belgian scholars David Guilardian and Serge Boffa (https://www.persee.fr/doc/bcrh_0001-415x_1999_num_165_3_1174). They showed that
    the author of the Dutch text was inspired by the crusades. So he took names of famous crusaders, and changed them to fit the story about Godfrey. So Baldwin of Bourq was the inspiration for Baldwin of Brussels. In the story of a Thymo and the article by
    Van Droogenbroeck this Baldwin is the grandson of Reinier, third son of Lambert I and Gerberga, and a Thymo also added this Reinier in his genealogy of counts of Leuven. To me this background is not the soundest foundation for a parallel branch.

Yet Van Droogenbroeck has a very good point on the marriage of Adela of Orlamunde and count palatine Herman, who are obvious too closely related if Adela is the granddaughter of Lambert II and Oda, Herman presumably being the son of Mathilde, the sister
    of Oda. He is also correct in pointing out the close relations of Adela of Leuven, the mother of Adela of Orlamunde, to the counts of Flanders. Baldwin VI calls her his "neptis" and she owned part of an allodium that previously belonged to Baldwin IV.
    However, I see a different solution than a parallel branch. The issue with the marriage would be solved if Adela of Leuven was the daughter of Lambert II, but not by Oda. In that case the Saxon chronicles that call her a sister of Henry II and Reinier
    are right, and the closeness to the counts of Flanders can be explained by her mother being a daughter of Baldwin IV. She is then indeed the niece of Baldwin IV. Given the later marriage of count Henry III of Leuven to Gertrude of Flanders, it's clear
    that Henry II and Reinier were children of Oda, and so half-brothers of Adela. Chronologically it would appear somewhat more likely that Adela would be a daughter of a first marriage of Lambert II than a second. In terms of names I can remark that Adela
    of Leuven had a daughter with the name Kunigunde, this was also the name of the aunt of Baldwin IV's wife, empress Kunigunde. So the name of Lambert II's first wife might have been Kunigunde, but that is off course a pure hypothesis.
    With this solution the need for a parallel branch falls away.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to Enno Borgsteede on Wed Mar 1 08:50:25 2023
    On 28-Feb-23 5:44 AM, Enno Borgsteede wrote:
    Op 27-02-2023 om 03:30 schreef taf:

I have come across a 2018 artilce by Frans J Van Droogenbroeck that
    concludes Richilde, Countess of Hainaut, was child of Reinier de
    Hasnon by a daughter of Hugh IV of Egisheim, with that Reinier being
    paternal grandson of Lambert of Louvain, and maternal grandson of
    Baldwin IV of Flanders. Unfortunately for me, but fortunately for
    others here, the article appears to be in Dutch, which is not high on
    my list of fluency. I would appreciate a summary of the argument (if
    it is worth summarizing) if any of our Dutch-competent participants
    can parse it.

Well, I'm Dutch, but at the moment I'm too busy to translate the whole reasoning for you. It's on pages 70 - 73, so it should be small enough
    for Google translate.

When you have that, I'll be happy to answer questions that may arise
    from things that were lost in translation.

Without having read it, I have to say this solution seems
    problematic.  This pedigree would make her second cousin of husband
    #1, Herman, and first cousin once-removed, of #2, Baldwin VI, neither
    of which one would expect to be ignored by the church (but maybe the
    author addresses this?)

He does, in the 2nd paragraph of p. 104. I found that by looking for the
    word 'dispensatie'. According to the author, dispensation was given by
    Pope Leo IX.

The single citation given by Van Droogenbroeck for this on p. 104 is the
    1057 entry in the annals of Mont-Blandin abbey, to which he refers for
    Baldwin VI of Flanders having obtained the countship of Hainaut from the emperor in that year through the intervention of Pope Victor II
    ("Balduinus iunior marchysus Nerviorum comitatum imperiali munificentia
    et auctoritate apostolica suscepit"), adding - without citing any
    authority - that Victor's predecessor Leo IX (died 19 April 1054) had previously granted a dispensation for the 5th-degree consanguinity
    between Baldwin and Richilde.

Yesterday I noted that this is not an accurate representation of the
    uncited source/s Van Droogenbroeck was evidently relying on, as Leo's
    alleged dispensation was given for the blood kinship between Baldwin and Richilde's previous husband, not with the lady herself, but it is also
    worth pointing out that the 1057 information implicitly undermines the
    already shaky credibility of 'Flandria generosa' about this.

First, it misnames the bishop of Cambrai who had reportedly
    excommunicated Baldwin over the marriage as Ingelbert (the bishop at the
    time was actually named Lietbert). Secondly, in contradiction to Van Droogenbroeck's assertion the (apparently informal) papal dispensation
    was supposedly granted on condition that the couple should live together
    in chastity ("absque carnali commixtione manerent"). However, by the
    time of Pope Victor II's intervention on Baldwin's behalf in 1057 he had fathered two sons with Richilde, who were presumably not born from
    immaculate conception. Popes in the 11th century were of course not in
    the habit of favouring miscreants who had flouted the conditions of
    their own release by a predecessor from excommunication.

Peter Stewart

--
    www.avg.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 1 11:14:52 2023
    T24gMjgtRmViLTIzIDExOjI0IFBNLCBSYWYgQ2V1c3Rlcm1hbnMgd3JvdGU6DQo+IE1heWJlIHRv IHByb3ZpZGUgc29tZSBhZGRpdGlvbmFsIGJhY2tncm91bmQ6DQo+IFRoZSBleHRyYSBicmFuY2gg b2YgdGhlIGNvdW50cyBvZiBMZXV2ZW4gdGhhdCBWYW4gRHJvb2dlbmJyb2VjayBwcm9wb3NlZCBh bmQgd2hlcmUgaGUgcGxhY2VzIFJpY2hpbGRlIHN0YXJ0cyB3aXRoIGEgUmVpbmllciwgd2hvIGhl IHNlZXMgYXMgdGhlIHRoaXJkIHNvbiBvZiBMYW1iZXJ0IEkgYW5kIEdlcmJlcmdhLiBUaGlzIFJl aW5pZXIgd291bGQgdGhlbiBiZSB0aGUgZ3JhbmRmYXRoZXIgb2YgUmljaGlsZGUuIFRoaXMgUmVp bmllciBpcyBhYnNlbnQgZnJvbSB0aGUgMTN0aCBjZW50dXJ5IGNocm9uaWNsZXMgYW5kIGdlbmVh bG9naWVzIG9mIHRoZSBjb3VudHMgb2YgTGV1dmVuIGFuZCBhbmQgZHVrZXMgb2YgQnJhYmFudC4g SGUgYXBwZWFycyBmaXJzdCBpbiB0aGUgbWlkIDE1dGggY2VudHVyeSBpbiB0aGUgd29yayBvZiBQ ZXRlciBhIFRoeW1vLiBIZSB3cm90ZSBhIGNocm9uaWNsZSB3aGljaCBpcyBhIG1peCBvZiBjb3Bp ZXMgb2Ygb2xkIGRvY3VtZW50cyBhbmQgc29tZSBoaXN0b3JpY2FsIG5vdGVzLCB3cml0dGVuIGlu IExhdGluLiBJbiBvbmUgcGFydCBhIFRoeW1vIHB1Ymxpc2hlcyBhIHRleHQgb24gdGhlIHlvdXRo IG9mIGR1a2UgR29kZnJleSBJLiBJdCdzIGEgdmVyeSBmYW50YXN0aWNhbCB0YWxlIHdoZXJlIEdv ZGZyZXkgZ29lcyBlYXN0LCBhbGxpZXMgd2l0aCBHZW5naXMgS2hhbiwgZmlnaHRzIGEgZ2lhbnQg aW4gR2VvcmdpYSwgYW5kIGluIHRoZSBlbmQgbWFycmllcyBTb3BoaWUsIHRoZSBvbmx5IGRhdWdo dGVyIG9mIHRoZSBHZXJtYW4gZW1wZXJvci4gQSBUaHltbyB1c2VkIGFzIHNvdXJjZSBhIHN0b3J5 IHdyaXR0ZW4gaW4gRHV0Y2gsIG5vdyBsYXJnZWx5IGxvc3QuIFRoZSB0ZXh0IHdhcyBzdHVkaWVk IGJ5IEJlbGdpYW4gc2Nob2xhcnMgRGF2aWQgR3VpbGFyZGlhbiBhbmQgU2VyZ2UgQm9mZmEgKGh0 dHBzOi8vd3d3LnBlcnNlZS5mci9kb2MvYmNyaF8wMDAxLTQxNXhfMTk5OV9udW1fMTY1XzNfMTE3 NCkuIFRoZXkgc2hvd2VkIHRoYXQgdGhlIGF1dGhvciBvZiB0aGUgRHV0Y2ggdGV4dCB3YXMgaW5z cGlyZWQgYnkgdGhlIGNydXNhZGVzLiBTbyBoZSB0b29rIG5hbWVzIG9mIGZhbW91cyBjcnVzYWRl cnMsIGFuZCBjaGFuZ2VkIHRoZW0gdG8gZml0IHRoZSBzdG9yeSBhYm91dCBHb2RmcmV5LiBTbyBC YWxkd2luIG9mIEJvdXJxIHdhcyB0aGUgaW5zcGlyYXRpb24gZm9yIEJhbGR3aW4gb2YgQnJ1c3Nl bHMuIEluIHRoZSBzdG9yeSBvZiBhIFRoeW1vIGFuZCB0aGUgYXJ0aWNsZSBieSBWYW4gRHJvb2dl bmJyb2VjayB0aGlzIEJhbGR3aW4gaXMgdGhlIGdyYW5kc29uIG9mIFJlaW5pZXIsIHRoaXJkIHNv biBvZiBMYW1iZXJ0IEkgYW5kIEdlcmJlcmdhLCBhbmQgYSBUaHltbyBhbHNvIGFkZGVkIHRoaXMg UmVpbmllciBpbiBoaXMgZ2VuZWFsb2d5IG9mIGNvdW50cyBvZiBMZXV2ZW4uIFRvIG1lIHRoaXMg YmFja2dyb3VuZCBpcyBub3QgdGhlIHNvdW5kZXN0IGZvdW5kYXRpb24gZm9yIGEgcGFyYWxsZWwg YnJhbmNoLg0KPiANCj4gWWV0IFZhbiBEcm9vZ2VuYnJvZWNrIGhhcyBhIHZlcnkgZ29vZCBwb2lu dCBvbiB0aGUgbWFycmlhZ2Ugb2YgQWRlbGEgb2YgT3JsYW11bmRlIGFuZCBjb3VudCBwYWxhdGlu ZSBIZXJtYW4sIHdobyBhcmUgb2J2aW91cyB0b28gY2xvc2VseSByZWxhdGVkIGlmIEFkZWxhIGlz IHRoZSBncmFuZGRhdWdodGVyIG9mIExhbWJlcnQgSUkgYW5kIE9kYSwgSGVybWFuIHByZXN1bWFi bHkgYmVpbmcgdGhlIHNvbiBvZiBNYXRoaWxkZSwgdGhlIHNpc3RlciBvZiBPZGEuIEhlIGlzIGFs c28gY29ycmVjdCBpbiBwb2ludGluZyBvdXQgdGhlIGNsb3NlIHJlbGF0aW9ucyBvZiBBZGVsYSBv ZiBMZXV2ZW4sIHRoZSBtb3RoZXIgb2YgQWRlbGEgb2YgT3JsYW11bmRlLCB0byB0aGUgY291bnRz IG9mIEZsYW5kZXJzLiBCYWxkd2luIFZJIGNhbGxzIGhlciBoaXMgIm5lcHRpcyIgYW5kIHNoZSBv d25lZCBwYXJ0IG9mIGFuIGFsbG9kaXVtIHRoYXQgcHJldmlvdXNseSBiZWxvbmdlZCB0byBCYWxk d2luIElWLiBIb3dldmVyLCBJIHNlZSBhIGRpZmZlcmVudCBzb2x1dGlvbiB0aGFuIGEgcGFyYWxs ZWwgYnJhbmNoLiBUaGUgaXNzdWUgd2l0aCB0aGUgbWFycmlhZ2Ugd291bGQgYmUgc29sdmVkIGlm IEFkZWxhIG9mIExldXZlbiB3YXMgdGhlIGRhdWdodGVyIG9mIExhbWJlcnQgSUksIGJ1dCBub3Qg YnkgT2RhLiBJbiB0aGF0IGNhc2UgdGhlIFNheG9uIGNocm9uaWNsZXMgdGhhdCBjYWxsIGhlciBh IHNpc3RlciBvZiBIZW5yeSBJSSBhbmQgUmVpbmllciBhcmUgcmlnaHQsIGFuZCB0aGUgY2xvc2Vu ZXNzIHRvIHRoZSBjb3VudHMgb2YgRmxhbmRlcnMgY2FuIGJlIGV4cGxhaW5lZCBieSBoZXIgbW90 aGVyIGJlaW5nIGEgZGF1Z2h0ZXIgb2YgQmFsZHdpbiBJVi4gU2hlIGlzIHRoZW4gaW5kZWVkIHRo ZSBuaWVjZSBvZiBCYWxkd2luIElWLg0KDQpJJ20gbm90IGNsZWFyIGhvdyB0aGlzIGhlbHBzLCBz aW5jZSBpdCB3YXMgQmFsZHVpbiBWSSB3aG8gY2FsbGVkIEFkZWxhIA0KaGlzICJuZXB0aXMiIG5v dCBCYWxkdWluIElWLiBJZiBBZGVsYSdzIG1vdGhlciBoYWQgYmVlbiBhIGRhdWdodGVyIG9mIA0K dGhlIGxhdHRlciwgQmFsZHVpbiBWSSB3b3VsZCBtb3JlIGxpa2VseSBoYXZlIGNhbGxlZCBoZXIg ImNvbnNvYnJpbmEiIG9yIA0KImNvZ25hdGEiIHRoYW4gIm5lcHRpcyIuDQoNClRoZSB0cm91Ymxl IHdpdGggY29uanVyaW5nIHVucmVjb3JkZWQgbWFycmlhZ2VzIGFuZCBwZXJzb25hZ2VzIG91dCBv ZiANCnRoaW4gYWlyIHRvIHNvbHZlIGdlbmVhbG9naWNhbCBwcm9ibGVtcyBpcyB0aGF0IHRoZXJl IGlzIG5vIHN0b3BwaW5nIA0KcG9pbnQsIGxldCBhbG9uZSBhIHZlcmlmaWFibGUgc3RhcnRpbmcg cG9pbnQuDQoNCj4gR2l2ZW4gdGhlIGxhdGVyIG1hcnJpYWdlIG9mIGNvdW50IEhlbnJ5IElJSSBv ZiBMZXV2ZW4gdG8gR2VydHJ1ZGUgb2YgRmxhbmRlcnMsIGl0J3MgY2xlYXIgdGhhdCBIZW5yeSBJ SSBhbmQgUmVpbmllciB3ZXJlIGNoaWxkcmVuIG9mIE9kYSwgYW5kIHNvIGhhbGYtYnJvdGhlcnMg b2YgQWRlbGEuIENocm9ub2xvZ2ljYWxseSBpdCB3b3VsZCBhcHBlYXIgc29tZXdoYXQgbW9yZSBs aWtlbHkgdGhhdCBBZGVsYSB3b3VsZCBiZSBhIGRhdWdodGVyIG9mIGEgZmlyc3QgbWFycmlhZ2Ug b2YgTGFtYmVydCBJSSB0aGFuIGEgc2Vjb25kLiBJbiB0ZXJtcyBvZiBuYW1lcyBJIGNhbiByZW1h cmsgdGhhdCBBZGVsYSBvZiBMZXV2ZW4gaGFkIGEgZGF1Z2h0ZXIgd2l0aCB0aGUgbmFtZSBLdW5p Z3VuZGUsIHRoaXMgd2FzIGFsc28gdGhlIG5hbWUgb2YgdGhlIGF1bnQgb2YgQmFsZHdpbiBJVidz IHdpZmUsIGVtcHJlc3MgS3VuaWd1bmRlLiBTbyB0aGUgbmFtZSBvZiBMYW1iZXJ0IElJJ3MgZmly c3Qgd2lmZSBtaWdodCBoYXZlIGJlZW4gS3VuaWd1bmRlLCBidXQgdGhhdCBpcyBvZmYgY291cnNl IGEgcHVyZSBoeXBvdGhlc2lzLg0KPiBXaXRoIHRoaXMgc29sdXRpb24gdGhlIG5lZWQgZm9yIGEg cGFyYWxsZWwgYnJhbmNoIGZhbGxzIGF3YXkuDQoNClJhdGhlciBJIHdvdWxkIHNheSBpdCBpcyBw dXNoZWQgYXdheS4gSWYgdGhlcmUgYXJlIHRvIGJlIG5vIGNvbnN0cmFpbnRzIA0KZnJvbSBsYWNr IG9mIG1lZGlldmFsIHNvdXJjaW5nLCB3aHkgbm90IG1ha2UgQWRlbGEncyBtb3RoZXIgYW4gDQp1 bnJlY29yZGVkIGRhdWdodGVyIG9mIEJhbGR1aW4gSVYgYnkgaGlzIHNlY29uZCBtYXJyaWFnZSwg bGF0ZXIgDQpob25vdXJpbmcgdGhlIHNhaW50bGluZXNzIG9mIGVtcHJlc3MgS3VuaWd1bmRlIHdp dGhvdXQgYSBibG9vZCANCmNvbm5lY3Rpb24sIG9yIGEgZGF1Z2h0ZXIgb2YgQmFsZHVpbiBWIGJ5 IGhpcyBDYXBldGlhbiB3aWZlIGFmdGVyIHdob20gDQpzaGUgaGVyc2VsZiBtaWdodCB0aGVuIGhh dmUgYmVlbiBuYW1lZD8NCg0KUGV0ZXIgU3Rld2FydA0KDQoNCi0tIA0KVGhpcyBlbWFpbCBoYXMg YmVlbiBjaGVja2VkIGZvciB2aXJ1c2VzIGJ5IEFWRyBhbnRpdmlydXMgc29mdHdhcmUuDQp3d3cu YXZnLmNvbQ==

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Raf Ceustermans@21:1/5 to Peter Stewart on Wed Mar 1 07:43:56 2023
    On Wednesday, March 1, 2023 at 1:16:52 AM UTC+1, Peter Stewart wrote:
    I'm not clear how this helps, since it was Balduin VI who called Adela
    his "neptis" not Balduin IV. If Adela's mother had been a daughter of
    the latter, Balduin VI would more likely have called her "consobrina" or "cognata" than "neptis".

I'm no specialist on these terms. It seems at least in some cases it was used for a cousin, but if it was more likely to be used for a sibling's daughter, it indeed points more to Baldwin V as father.

The trouble with conjuring unrecorded marriages and personages out of
    thin air to solve genealogical problems is that there is no stopping
    point, let alone a verifiable starting point.

I would say the use of "neptis" by Baldwin VI, and the common possession do provide a starting point.

Rather I would say it is pushed away. If there are to be no constraints
    from lack of medieval sourcing, why not make Adela's mother an
    unrecorded daughter of Balduin IV by his second marriage, later
    honouring the saintliness of empress Kunigunde without a blood
    connection, or a daughter of Balduin V by his Capetian wife after whom
    she herself might then have been named?
    Peter Stewart

The sources on the 11th century counts of Leuven are not great. The foundation of Saint-Goedele in Brussels in 1047 by Lambert II and Oda is only known from later sources, and the charter from 1062 where Adela acts with her husband Otto is also
    considered a forgery (https://www.diplomata-belgica.be/charter_details_en.php?dibe_id=3906). The first would imply Adela was born no later than 1047, while the second is in line with that. Off course she could also be born much earlier than that.

Adela's mother being a child from the second marriage then appears chronologically tight, but not excluded. Her being a child from the marriage of Baldwin V would also be tight, but leaves more room, and indeed offers a good explanation for the name
    Adela (although Adela could have been named for her in any of the three options).

So to recap
    -It is very unlikely that Oda was the mother of Adela of Leuven given the marriage issue of Adela of Orlamunde, and the unexplainable statement by Baldwin VI that Adela of Leuven was his neptis
    -It is nearly certain that Adela of Leuven was the sister of count Henry II of Leuven and Reinier, as this is confirmed by an (albeit later) Saxon chronicle
    -Taken together they make it very likely Adela was the daughter of Lambert II by a different (and unrecorded) wife
    -Taking into account the fact that Baldwin VI calls Adela of Leuven his neptis, and that she had a stake in a domain that Baldwin IV acquired, there does not seem any other solution than the mother of Adela of Leuven being either a daughter or
    granddaughter of Baldwin IV
    -The use of neptis and the name Adela might make it likelier that she is a daughter of Baldwin V, but it is not excluded she is a daughter from either the first or second marriage of Baldwin IV.
    -In either case, there is no need for an extra branch in the family of counts of Leuven

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From lancaster.boon@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Raf Ceustermans on Wed Mar 1 09:35:28 2023
    On Wednesday, March 1, 2023 at 4:43:58 PM UTC+1, Raf Ceustermans wrote:
    the latter, Balduin VI would more likely have called her "consobrina" or "cognata" than "neptis".
    I'm no specialist on these terms. It seems at least in some cases it was used for a cousin, but if it was more likely to be used for a sibling's daughter, it indeed points more to Baldwin V as father.
    thin air to solve genealogical problems is that there is no stopping point, let alone a verifiable starting point.
    I would say the use of "neptis" by Baldwin VI, and the common possession do provide a starting point.
    Rather I would say it is pushed away. If there are to be no constraints from lack of medieval sourcing, why not make Adela's mother an
    Peter Stewart
    The sources on the 11th century counts of Leuven are not great. The foundation of Saint-Goedele in Brussels in 1047 by Lambert II and Oda is only known from later sources, and the charter from 1062 where Adela acts with her husband Otto is also
    considered a forgery (https://www.diplomata-belgica.be/charter_details_en.php?dibe_id=3906). The first would imply Adela was born no later than 1047, while the second is in line with that. Off course she could also be born much earlier than that.

Adela's mother being a child from the second marriage then appears chronologically tight, but not excluded. Her being a child from the marriage of Baldwin V would also be tight, but leaves more room, and indeed offers a good explanation for the name
    Adela (although Adela could have been named for her in any of the three options).

So to recap
    -It is very unlikely that Oda was the mother of Adela of Leuven given the marriage issue of Adela of Orlamunde, and the unexplainable statement by Baldwin VI that Adela of Leuven was his neptis
    -It is nearly certain that Adela of Leuven was the sister of count Henry II of Leuven and Reinier, as this is confirmed by an (albeit later) Saxon chronicle
    -Taken together they make it very likely Adela was the daughter of Lambert II by a different (and unrecorded) wife
    -Taking into account the fact that Baldwin VI calls Adela of Leuven his neptis, and that she had a stake in a domain that Baldwin IV acquired, there does not seem any other solution than the mother of Adela of Leuven being either a daughter or
    -The use of neptis and the name Adela might make it likelier that she is a daughter of Baldwin V, but it is not excluded she is a daughter from either the first or second marriage of Baldwin IV.
    -In either case, there is no need for an extra branch in the family of counts of Leuven

Having not looked for too long, I will ask some dumb questions...
    So who was Richilde's family in the end? May we accept she was the daughter of the castellan of Hasnon? May we accept that she had an hereditary claim on Valenciennes?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Enno Borgsteede@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 1 18:36:21 2023
    Hello Peter,

1057 entry in the annals of Mont-Blandin abbey, to which he refers for Baldwin VI of Flanders having obtained the countship of Hainaut from the emperor in that year through the intervention of Pope Victor II
    authority - that Victor's predecessor Leo IX (died 19 April 1054) had previously granted a dispensation for the 5th-degree consanguinity

alleged dispensation was given for the blood kinship between Baldwin and Richilde's previous husband, not with the lady herself, but it is also
    worth pointing out that the 1057 information implicitly undermines the already shaky credibility of 'Flandria generosa' about this.

time was actually named Lietbert). Secondly, in contradiction to Van Droogenbroeck's assertion the (apparently informal) papal dispensation
    was supposedly granted on condition that the couple should live together
    in chastity ("absque carnali commixtione manerent"). However, by the
    time of Pope Victor II's intervention on Baldwin's behalf in 1057 he had fathered two sons with Richilde, who were presumably not born from

OK, that's clear, thanks.

This leaves one question for me, and that's about her paternal descent.
    About that, the author wrote that she's not a daughter of Reinier V van
    Bergen, as she appears in many GEDCOM files that I found, but rather a granddaughter of Reinier Langhals, a.k.a. Reinier van Leuven, as he is
    named in footnote 72.

He defends this position by claiming that Hasnon should not be mixed up
    with Hainaut, and that sounds quite reasonable to me.

What's your opinion on that?

Regards,

Enno

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to Raf Ceustermans on Thu Mar 2 09:03:58 2023
    On 02-Mar-23 2:43 AM, Raf Ceustermans wrote:
    the latter, Balduin VI would more likely have called her "consobrina" or
    "cognata" than "neptis".

The primary meanings of "neptis" are granddaughter and niece, though it
    was occasionally used for more distant junior relatives - clearly
    Balduin VI cannot have had a granddaughter owning property in 1065.

Occasional usages can be risky to follow when there is an alternative possibility adhering to the norm. For instance, in the late-12th century
    a count whose mother was definitely named Beatrix called a woman named
    Oda his mother ("Odam, matrem meam"): from the context we can tell that
    this was a retainer, presumably his nurse as a child, but this is not
    clear from the immediate wording.

By a verifiable starting point I meant an established fact that is not
    open to conjecture or opinion - in this case, simply Balduin VI calling
    a lady he named as Adela countess of Thuringia his "neptis". That is a
    starting point to assume that he meant a niece married to a count of
    Thuringia, and turning her into a cousin married to a count of Weimar is
    a secondary jump. We know far less about females born into most families
    in the 11th century than about their male siblings, and there may have
    been an unrecorded Adela briefly married to a count in the heartland of
    Germany other than the lady of that name from Louvain married to Otto of
    Weimar (or Orlamünde if you prefer). In 1065, by when Otto was margrave
    of Meissen, Balduin VI might have been more observant than to call his
    wife "countess of Thuringia".

Adela of Louvain had descendants who could be expected to figure in documentation as kindred of the Flemish comital family, for example her grandsons Sigefrid and William, counts palatine of the Rhine and
    advocates of Trier, the former when Balduin VII died in 1119 and latter
    during the troubles after the assassination of Charles the Good in 1127.

Peter Stewart

So to recap

I agree with the last point.

Peter Stewart

--
    www.avg.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From taf@21:1/5 to Enno Borgsteede on Wed Mar 1 13:41:28 2023
    On Wednesday, March 1, 2023 at 9:36:27 AM UTC-8, Enno Borgsteede wrote:
    Hello Peter,
    The single citation given by Van Droogenbroeck for this on p. 104 is the 1057 entry in the annals of Mont-Blandin abbey, to which he refers for Baldwin VI of Flanders having obtained the countship of Hainaut from the emperor in that year through the intervention of Pope Victor II ("Balduinus iunior marchysus Nerviorum comitatum imperiali munificentia
    et auctoritate apostolica suscepit"), adding - without citing any authority - that Victor's predecessor Leo IX (died 19 April 1054) had previously granted a dispensation for the 5th-degree consanguinity

Yesterday I noted that this is not an accurate representation of the uncited source/s Van Droogenbroeck was evidently relying on, as Leo's alleged dispensation was given for the blood kinship between Baldwin and Richilde's previous husband, not with the lady herself, but it is also worth pointing out that the 1057 information implicitly undermines the already shaky credibility of 'Flandria generosa' about this.

excommunicated Baldwin over the marriage as Ingelbert (the bishop at the time was actually named Lietbert). Secondly, in contradiction to Van Droogenbroeck's assertion the (apparently informal) papal dispensation
    was supposedly granted on condition that the couple should live together in chastity ("absque carnali commixtione manerent"). However, by the
    time of Pope Victor II's intervention on Baldwin's behalf in 1057 he had fathered two sons with Richilde, who were presumably not born from immaculate conception. Popes in the 11th century were of course not in

This leaves one question for me, and that's about her paternal descent. About that, the author wrote that she's not a daughter of Reinier V van Bergen, as she appears in many GEDCOM files that I found, but rather a granddaughter of Reinier Langhals, a.k.a. Reinier van Leuven, as he is
    named in footnote 72.

This really intermingles two distinct issues. Many traditional pedigrees showed her as daughter of Reinier V. This arose from the passage of Hainaut from Herman, Reinier V's son, to Baldwin VI and Richilde, who were of the same generation, and thus
    Richilde was portrayed as sister of Herman and daughter of Reinier V. This has long been known to be false, as she was widow of Herman, not his sister, with her parentage unknown.

The novel theory assigns her new parentage, with her father, solely by coincidence, being a man also named Reinier (lord of Hasnon). Whether this relationship is true or not, Reinier V is not an option. I suspect he said the line about Hasnon mixed up
    with Hainaut, not as a defense of his position, per se, but just to head off possible confusion between his recent conclusion and the old and known to be false Hainaut paternity, lest anyone looking at it superficially and seeing the name 'Reinier' might
    think he was rewarming the old chestnut rather than presenting a novel theory.

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to taf on Thu Mar 2 09:49:49 2023
    On 02-Mar-23 8:41 AM, taf wrote:
    Hello Peter,
    The single citation given by Van Droogenbroeck for this on p. 104 is the >>> 1057 entry in the annals of Mont-Blandin abbey, to which he refers for
    Baldwin VI of Flanders having obtained the countship of Hainaut from the >>> emperor in that year through the intervention of Pope Victor II
    authority - that Victor's predecessor Leo IX (died 19 April 1054) had
    previously granted a dispensation for the 5th-degree consanguinity

alleged dispensation was given for the blood kinship between Baldwin and >>> Richilde's previous husband, not with the lady herself, but it is also
    worth pointing out that the 1057 information implicitly undermines the
    already shaky credibility of 'Flandria generosa' about this.

excommunicated Baldwin over the marriage as Ingelbert (the bishop at the >>> time was actually named Lietbert). Secondly, in contradiction to Van
    Droogenbroeck's assertion the (apparently informal) papal dispensation
    was supposedly granted on condition that the couple should live together >>> in chastity ("absque carnali commixtione manerent"). However, by the
    time of Pope Victor II's intervention on Baldwin's behalf in 1057 he had >>> fathered two sons with Richilde, who were presumably not born from

This leaves one question for me, and that's about her paternal descent.
    About that, the author wrote that she's not a daughter of Reinier V van
    Bergen, as she appears in many GEDCOM files that I found, but rather a
    granddaughter of Reinier Langhals, a.k.a. Reinier van Leuven, as he is
    named in footnote 72.

This really intermingles two distinct issues. Many traditional pedigrees showed her as daughter of Reinier V. This arose from the passage of Hainaut from Herman, Reinier V's son, to Baldwin VI and Richilde, who were of the same generation, and thus
    Richilde was portrayed as sister of Herman and daughter of Reinier V. This has long been known to be false, as she was widow of Herman, not his sister, with her parentage unknown.

The novel theory assigns her new parentage, with her father, solely by coincidence, being a man also named Reinier (lord of Hasnon). Whether this relationship is true or not, Reinier V is not an option. I suspect he said the line about Hasnon mixed up
    with Hainaut, not as a defense of his position, per se, but just to head off possible confusion between his recent conclusion and the old and known to be false Hainaut paternity, lest anyone looking at it superficially and seeing the name 'Reinier' might
    think he was rewarming the old chestnut rather than presenting a novel theory.

Van Droogenbroeck was arguing that a problematic charter from Homblières
    in which a Reinier occurs as count (not lord) of Hasnon was not
    referring to a count of Hainaut as usually assessed, because he thought
    (p. 68) that if Hainaut had been meant he would then have been
    designated either "Montensis" or "Castriloci" rather than
    "Hasnonnensis". However, the charter was probably written in the 1080s
    by when the monks of Homblières may have mistaken the name of the count
    some 40 years earlier rather than his territorial jurisdiction, in which
    case Herman would be correct instead of Reinier.

In any event, there is insufficient basis in this one occurrence to
    assume there was any lord or count of Hasnon distinct from the count of Hainaut. In the 11th century comital courts were peripatetic, and counts
    were frequently designated by their place of residence within their
    territorial sphere at different times (e.g. Otto of Weimar or Orlamünde).

The matter at issue in the Homblières charter concerns an allod
    apparently on the Sambre, not near enough to Hasnon for them to appeal
    to anyone whose authority did not extend far from there.

Peter Stewart

--
    www.avg.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to lancast...@gmail.com on Thu Mar 2 10:54:54 2023
    On 02-Mar-23 4:35 AM, lancast...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Wednesday, March 1, 2023 at 4:43:58 PM UTC+1, Raf Ceustermans wrote:
    the latter, Balduin VI would more likely have called her "consobrina" or >>> "cognata" than "neptis".
    Peter Stewart

So to recap

Having not looked for too long, I will ask some dumb questions...
    So who was Richilde's family in the end? May we accept she was the daughter of the castellan of Hasnon? May we accept that she had an hereditary claim on Valenciennes?

That Richilde (more probably) or her first husband Herman of Hainaut had
    some hereditary claim to Valenciennes that allowed them buy off rival claimaints is stated by Gislebert of Mons, immediately after stating
    that the former count there has died without a direct heir ("defuncto
    comite Valencenensi absque proprii corporis herede tam jure hereditario
    quam coemptione facta cum quibusdam nobilibus qui in hereditate illa reclamabant").

This cannot be twisted to mean that the former count had a daughter but
    no sons, as Van Droogenbroeck maintains, since if Richilde's claim was
    that much better than any collateral relatives (unless she had to buy
    out sisters, whom of course Gislebert would not have mentioned vaguely
    even along with their putative husbands as "quidam nobiles") she would
    have faced no competition for the inheritance.

Peter Stewart

--
    www.avg.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From lancaster.boon@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Peter Stewart on Thu Mar 2 05:40:42 2023
    On Wednesday, March 1, 2023 at 11:49:52 PM UTC+1, Peter Stewart wrote:
    Hello Peter,
    The single citation given by Van Droogenbroeck for this on p. 104 is the >>> 1057 entry in the annals of Mont-Blandin abbey, to which he refers for >>> Baldwin VI of Flanders having obtained the countship of Hainaut from the >>> emperor in that year through the intervention of Pope Victor II
    ("Balduinus iunior marchysus Nerviorum comitatum imperiali munificentia >>> et auctoritate apostolica suscepit"), adding - without citing any
    authority - that Victor's predecessor Leo IX (died 19 April 1054) had >>> previously granted a dispensation for the 5th-degree consanguinity

uncited source/s Van Droogenbroeck was evidently relying on, as Leo's >>> alleged dispensation was given for the blood kinship between Baldwin and >>> Richilde's previous husband, not with the lady herself, but it is also >>> worth pointing out that the 1057 information implicitly undermines the >>> already shaky credibility of 'Flandria generosa' about this.

excommunicated Baldwin over the marriage as Ingelbert (the bishop at the >>> time was actually named Lietbert). Secondly, in contradiction to Van
    Droogenbroeck's assertion the (apparently informal) papal dispensation >>> was supposedly granted on condition that the couple should live together >>> in chastity ("absque carnali commixtione manerent"). However, by the
    time of Pope Victor II's intervention on Baldwin's behalf in 1057 he had >>> fathered two sons with Richilde, who were presumably not born from
    immaculate conception. Popes in the 11th century were of course not in >>> the habit of favouring miscreants who had flouted the conditions of

This leaves one question for me, and that's about her paternal descent. >> About that, the author wrote that she's not a daughter of Reinier V van >> Bergen, as she appears in many GEDCOM files that I found, but rather a
    granddaughter of Reinier Langhals, a.k.a. Reinier van Leuven, as he is
    named in footnote 72.

He defends this position by claiming that Hasnon should not be mixed up >> with Hainaut, and that sounds quite reasonable to me.

The novel theory assigns her new parentage, with her father, solely by coincidence, being a man also named Reinier (lord of Hasnon). Whether this relationship is true or not, Reinier V is not an option. I suspect he said the line about Hasnon mixed
    up with Hainaut, not as a defense of his position, per se, but just to head off possible confusion between his recent conclusion and the old and known to be false Hainaut paternity, lest anyone looking at it superficially and seeing the name 'Reinier'
    might think he was rewarming the old chestnut rather than presenting a novel theory.
    Van Droogenbroeck was arguing that a problematic charter from Homblières
    in which a Reinier occurs as count (not lord) of Hasnon was not
    referring to a count of Hainaut as usually assessed, because he thought
    (p. 68) that if Hainaut had been meant he would then have been
    by when the monks of Homblières may have mistaken the name of the count some 40 years earlier rather than his territorial jurisdiction, in which case Herman would be correct instead of Reinier.

assume there was any lord or count of Hasnon distinct from the count of Hainaut. In the 11th century comital courts were peripatetic, and counts were frequently designated by their place of residence within their territorial sphere at different times (e.g. Otto of Weimar or Orlamünde).

Peter Stewart

I certainly agree that in this period and region the term county did not imply any kind of logical, contiguous, geographical unit. That is something I have spent a little time on, although looking more concerning other examples. As you know, comitatus in
    this period and region mainly referred to jurisdictions, and if lands were being referred to, then the lands were probably connected to the office involved. For example a castallany, or advocacy, would involve the holding of lands which supplied an
    income to the office-holder. The term "pagus" (which was territorial) was very clearly distinguished from "comitatus". I think it also gets confusing because the words count and county do not always line up well. It appears there could be counts without
    counties, partly because the word count also implied a certain level of noble status. The terminology was not standardized or easy to interpret. I don't think there was any clear line stopping a castellan occasionally getting called a count, especially
    if they were wealthy, well-connected and held a few such offices.

But coming back to your remark Peter, doesn't this all mean that it is in fact possible during this period for relatively minor lords to occasionally be called a count, especially if he had the right relatives? I also think it was possible for them to
    have quite distant lands. The counts of Duras and the counts of Loon originally had isolated lands which lay very far away from the castles they were named after. I am not arguing for anything specifically, but I am wondering about the way you try to
    narrow down the options. Can we exclude the possibility that there was a "count" of Hasnon who held land on the Sambre?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to All on Fri Mar 3 08:03:47 2023
    T24gMDMtTWFyLTIzIDEyOjQwIEFNLCBsYW5jYXN0Li4uQGdtYWlsLmNvbSB3cm90ZToNCj4gT24g V2VkbmVzZGF5LCBNYXJjaCAxLCAyMDIzIGF0IDExOjQ5OjUy4oCvUE0gVVRDKzEsIFBldGVyIFN0 ZXdhcnQgd3JvdGU6DQo+PiBPbiAwMi1NYXItMjMgODo0MSBBTSwgdGFmIHdyb3RlOg0KPj4+IE9u IFdlZG5lc2RheSwgTWFyY2ggMSwgMjAyMyBhdCA5OjM2OjI34oCvQU0gVVRDLTgsIEVubm8gQm9y Z3N0ZWVkZSB3cm90ZToNCj4+Pj4gSGVsbG8gUGV0ZXIsDQo+Pj4+PiBUaGUgc2luZ2xlIGNpdGF0 aW9uIGdpdmVuIGJ5IFZhbiBEcm9vZ2VuYnJvZWNrIGZvciB0aGlzIG9uIHAuIDEwNCBpcyB0aGUN Cj4+Pj4+IDEwNTcgZW50cnkgaW4gdGhlIGFubmFscyBvZiBNb250LUJsYW5kaW4gYWJiZXksIHRv IHdoaWNoIGhlIHJlZmVycyBmb3INCj4+Pj4+IEJhbGR3aW4gVkkgb2YgRmxhbmRlcnMgaGF2aW5n IG9idGFpbmVkIHRoZSBjb3VudHNoaXAgb2YgSGFpbmF1dCBmcm9tIHRoZQ0KPj4+Pj4gZW1wZXJv ciBpbiB0aGF0IHllYXIgdGhyb3VnaCB0aGUgaW50ZXJ2ZW50aW9uIG9mIFBvcGUgVmljdG9yIElJ DQo+Pj4+PiAoIkJhbGR1aW51cyBpdW5pb3IgbWFyY2h5c3VzIE5lcnZpb3J1bSBjb21pdGF0dW0g aW1wZXJpYWxpIG11bmlmaWNlbnRpYQ0KPj4+Pj4gZXQgYXVjdG9yaXRhdGUgYXBvc3RvbGljYSBz dXNjZXBpdCIpLCBhZGRpbmcgLSB3aXRob3V0IGNpdGluZyBhbnkNCj4+Pj4+IGF1dGhvcml0eSAt IHRoYXQgVmljdG9yJ3MgcHJlZGVjZXNzb3IgTGVvIElYIChkaWVkIDE5IEFwcmlsIDEwNTQpIGhh ZA0KPj4+Pj4gcHJldmlvdXNseSBncmFudGVkIGEgZGlzcGVuc2F0aW9uIGZvciB0aGUgNXRoLWRl Z3JlZSBjb25zYW5ndWluaXR5DQo+Pj4+PiBiZXR3ZWVuIEJhbGR3aW4gYW5kIFJpY2hpbGRlLg0K Pj4+Pj4NCj4+Pj4+IFllc3RlcmRheSBJIG5vdGVkIHRoYXQgdGhpcyBpcyBub3QgYW4gYWNjdXJh dGUgcmVwcmVzZW50YXRpb24gb2YgdGhlDQo+Pj4+PiB1bmNpdGVkIHNvdXJjZS9zIFZhbiBEcm9v Z2VuYnJvZWNrIHdhcyBldmlkZW50bHkgcmVseWluZyBvbiwgYXMgTGVvJ3MNCj4+Pj4+IGFsbGVn ZWQgZGlzcGVuc2F0aW9uIHdhcyBnaXZlbiBmb3IgdGhlIGJsb29kIGtpbnNoaXAgYmV0d2VlbiBC YWxkd2luIGFuZA0KPj4+Pj4gUmljaGlsZGUncyBwcmV2aW91cyBodXNiYW5kLCBub3Qgd2l0aCB0 aGUgbGFkeSBoZXJzZWxmLCBidXQgaXQgaXMgYWxzbw0KPj4+Pj4gd29ydGggcG9pbnRpbmcgb3V0 IHRoYXQgdGhlIDEwNTcgaW5mb3JtYXRpb24gaW1wbGljaXRseSB1bmRlcm1pbmVzIHRoZQ0KPj4+ Pj4gYWxyZWFkeSBzaGFreSBjcmVkaWJpbGl0eSBvZiAnRmxhbmRyaWEgZ2VuZXJvc2EnIGFib3V0 IHRoaXMuDQo+Pj4+Pg0KPj4+Pj4gRmlyc3QsIGl0IG1pc25hbWVzIHRoZSBiaXNob3Agb2YgQ2Ft YnJhaSB3aG8gaGFkIHJlcG9ydGVkbHkNCj4+Pj4+IGV4Y29tbXVuaWNhdGVkIEJhbGR3aW4gb3Zl ciB0aGUgbWFycmlhZ2UgYXMgSW5nZWxiZXJ0ICh0aGUgYmlzaG9wIGF0IHRoZQ0KPj4+Pj4gdGlt ZSB3YXMgYWN0dWFsbHkgbmFtZWQgTGlldGJlcnQpLiBTZWNvbmRseSwgaW4gY29udHJhZGljdGlv biB0byBWYW4NCj4+Pj4+IERyb29nZW5icm9lY2sncyBhc3NlcnRpb24gdGhlIChhcHBhcmVudGx5 IGluZm9ybWFsKSBwYXBhbCBkaXNwZW5zYXRpb24NCj4+Pj4+IHdhcyBzdXBwb3NlZGx5IGdyYW50 ZWQgb24gY29uZGl0aW9uIHRoYXQgdGhlIGNvdXBsZSBzaG91bGQgbGl2ZSB0b2dldGhlcg0KPj4+ Pj4gaW4gY2hhc3RpdHkgKCJhYnNxdWUgY2FybmFsaSBjb21taXh0aW9uZSBtYW5lcmVudCIpLiBI b3dldmVyLCBieSB0aGUNCj4+Pj4+IHRpbWUgb2YgUG9wZSBWaWN0b3IgSUkncyBpbnRlcnZlbnRp b24gb24gQmFsZHdpbidzIGJlaGFsZiBpbiAxMDU3IGhlIGhhZA0KPj4+Pj4gZmF0aGVyZWQgdHdv IHNvbnMgd2l0aCBSaWNoaWxkZSwgd2hvIHdlcmUgcHJlc3VtYWJseSBub3QgYm9ybiBmcm9tDQo+ Pj4+PiBpbW1hY3VsYXRlIGNvbmNlcHRpb24uIFBvcGVzIGluIHRoZSAxMXRoIGNlbnR1cnkgd2Vy ZSBvZiBjb3Vyc2Ugbm90IGluDQo+Pj4+PiB0aGUgaGFiaXQgb2YgZmF2b3VyaW5nIG1pc2NyZWFu dHMgd2hvIGhhZCBmbG91dGVkIHRoZSBjb25kaXRpb25zIG9mDQo+Pj4+PiB0aGVpciBvd24gcmVs ZWFzZSBieSBhIHByZWRlY2Vzc29yIGZyb20gZXhjb21tdW5pY2F0aW9uLg0KPj4+PiBPSywgdGhh dCdzIGNsZWFyLCB0aGFua3MuDQo+Pj4+DQo+Pj4+IFRoaXMgbGVhdmVzIG9uZSBxdWVzdGlvbiBm b3IgbWUsIGFuZCB0aGF0J3MgYWJvdXQgaGVyIHBhdGVybmFsIGRlc2NlbnQuDQo+Pj4+IEFib3V0 IHRoYXQsIHRoZSBhdXRob3Igd3JvdGUgdGhhdCBzaGUncyBub3QgYSBkYXVnaHRlciBvZiBSZWlu aWVyIFYgdmFuDQo+Pj4+IEJlcmdlbiwgYXMgc2hlIGFwcGVhcnMgaW4gbWFueSBHRURDT00gZmls ZXMgdGhhdCBJIGZvdW5kLCBidXQgcmF0aGVyIGENCj4+Pj4gZ3JhbmRkYXVnaHRlciBvZiBSZWlu aWVyIExhbmdoYWxzLCBhLmsuYS4gUmVpbmllciB2YW4gTGV1dmVuLCBhcyBoZSBpcw0KPj4+PiBu YW1lZCBpbiBmb290bm90ZSA3Mi4NCj4+Pj4NCj4+Pj4gSGUgZGVmZW5kcyB0aGlzIHBvc2l0aW9u IGJ5IGNsYWltaW5nIHRoYXQgSGFzbm9uIHNob3VsZCBub3QgYmUgbWl4ZWQgdXANCj4+Pj4gd2l0 aCBIYWluYXV0LCBhbmQgdGhhdCBzb3VuZHMgcXVpdGUgcmVhc29uYWJsZSB0byBtZS4NCj4+Pj4N Cj4+Pj4gV2hhdCdzIHlvdXIgb3BpbmlvbiBvbiB0aGF0Pw0KPj4+DQo+Pj4gVGhpcyByZWFsbHkg aW50ZXJtaW5nbGVzIHR3byBkaXN0aW5jdCBpc3N1ZXMuIE1hbnkgdHJhZGl0aW9uYWwgcGVkaWdy ZWVzIHNob3dlZCBoZXIgYXMgZGF1Z2h0ZXIgb2YgUmVpbmllciBWLiBUaGlzIGFyb3NlIGZyb20g dGhlIHBhc3NhZ2Ugb2YgSGFpbmF1dCBmcm9tIEhlcm1hbiwgUmVpbmllciBWJ3Mgc29uLCB0byBC YWxkd2luIFZJIGFuZCBSaWNoaWxkZSwgd2hvIHdlcmUgb2YgdGhlIHNhbWUgZ2VuZXJhdGlvbiwg YW5kIHRodXMgUmljaGlsZGUgd2FzIHBvcnRyYXllZCBhcyBzaXN0ZXIgb2YgSGVybWFuIGFuZCBk YXVnaHRlciBvZiBSZWluaWVyIFYuIFRoaXMgaGFzIGxvbmcgYmVlbiBrbm93biB0byBiZSBmYWxz ZSwgYXMgc2hlIHdhcyB3aWRvdyBvZiBIZXJtYW4sIG5vdCBoaXMgc2lzdGVyLCB3aXRoIGhlciBw YXJlbnRhZ2UgdW5rbm93bi4NCj4+Pg0KPj4+IFRoZSBub3ZlbCB0aGVvcnkgYXNzaWducyBoZXIg bmV3IHBhcmVudGFnZSwgd2l0aCBoZXIgZmF0aGVyLCBzb2xlbHkgYnkgY29pbmNpZGVuY2UsIGJl aW5nIGEgbWFuIGFsc28gbmFtZWQgUmVpbmllciAobG9yZCBvZiBIYXNub24pLiBXaGV0aGVyIHRo aXMgcmVsYXRpb25zaGlwIGlzIHRydWUgb3Igbm90LCBSZWluaWVyIFYgaXMgbm90IGFuIG9wdGlv bi4gSSBzdXNwZWN0IGhlIHNhaWQgdGhlIGxpbmUgYWJvdXQgSGFzbm9uIG1peGVkIHVwIHdpdGgg SGFpbmF1dCwgbm90IGFzIGEgZGVmZW5zZSBvZiBoaXMgcG9zaXRpb24sIHBlciBzZSwgYnV0IGp1 c3QgdG8gaGVhZCBvZmYgcG9zc2libGUgY29uZnVzaW9uIGJldHdlZW4gaGlzIHJlY2VudCBjb25j bHVzaW9uIGFuZCB0aGUgb2xkIGFuZCBrbm93biB0byBiZSBmYWxzZSBIYWluYXV0IHBhdGVybml0 eSwgbGVzdCBhbnlvbmUgbG9va2luZyBhdCBpdCBzdXBlcmZpY2lhbGx5IGFuZCBzZWVpbmcgdGhl IG5hbWUgJ1JlaW5pZXInIG1pZ2h0IHRoaW5rIGhlIHdhcyByZXdhcm1pbmcgdGhlIG9sZCBjaGVz dG51dCByYXRoZXIgdGhhbiBwcmVzZW50aW5nIGEgbm92ZWwgdGhlb3J5Lg0KPj4gVmFuIERyb29n ZW5icm9lY2sgd2FzIGFyZ3VpbmcgdGhhdCBhIHByb2JsZW1hdGljIGNoYXJ0ZXIgZnJvbSBIb21i bGnDqHJlcw0KPj4gaW4gd2hpY2ggYSBSZWluaWVyIG9jY3VycyBhcyBjb3VudCAobm90IGxvcmQp IG9mIEhhc25vbiB3YXMgbm90DQo+PiByZWZlcnJpbmcgdG8gYSBjb3VudCBvZiBIYWluYXV0IGFz IHVzdWFsbHkgYXNzZXNzZWQsIGJlY2F1c2UgaGUgdGhvdWdodA0KPj4gKHAuIDY4KSB0aGF0IGlm IEhhaW5hdXQgaGFkIGJlZW4gbWVhbnQgaGUgd291bGQgdGhlbiBoYXZlIGJlZW4NCj4+IGRlc2ln bmF0ZWQgZWl0aGVyICJNb250ZW5zaXMiIG9yICJDYXN0cmlsb2NpIiByYXRoZXIgdGhhbg0KPj4g Ikhhc25vbm5lbnNpcyIuIEhvd2V2ZXIsIHRoZSBjaGFydGVyIHdhcyBwcm9iYWJseSB3cml0dGVu IGluIHRoZSAxMDgwcw0KPj4gYnkgd2hlbiB0aGUgbW9ua3Mgb2YgSG9tYmxpw6hyZXMgbWF5IGhh dmUgbWlzdGFrZW4gdGhlIG5hbWUgb2YgdGhlIGNvdW50DQo+PiBzb21lIDQwIHllYXJzIGVhcmxp ZXIgcmF0aGVyIHRoYW4gaGlzIHRlcnJpdG9yaWFsIGp1cmlzZGljdGlvbiwgaW4gd2hpY2gNCj4+ IGNhc2UgSGVybWFuIHdvdWxkIGJlIGNvcnJlY3QgaW5zdGVhZCBvZiBSZWluaWVyLg0KPj4NCj4+ IEluIGFueSBldmVudCwgdGhlcmUgaXMgaW5zdWZmaWNpZW50IGJhc2lzIGluIHRoaXMgb25lIG9j Y3VycmVuY2UgdG8NCj4+IGFzc3VtZSB0aGVyZSB3YXMgYW55IGxvcmQgb3IgY291bnQgb2YgSGFz bm9uIGRpc3RpbmN0IGZyb20gdGhlIGNvdW50IG9mDQo+PiBIYWluYXV0LiBJbiB0aGUgMTF0aCBj ZW50dXJ5IGNvbWl0YWwgY291cnRzIHdlcmUgcGVyaXBhdGV0aWMsIGFuZCBjb3VudHMNCj4+IHdl cmUgZnJlcXVlbnRseSBkZXNpZ25hdGVkIGJ5IHRoZWlyIHBsYWNlIG9mIHJlc2lkZW5jZSB3aXRo aW4gdGhlaXINCj4+IHRlcnJpdG9yaWFsIHNwaGVyZSBhdCBkaWZmZXJlbnQgdGltZXMgKGUuZy4g T3R0byBvZiBXZWltYXIgb3IgT3JsYW3DvG5kZSkuDQo+Pg0KPj4gVGhlIG1hdHRlciBhdCBpc3N1 ZSBpbiB0aGUgSG9tYmxpw6hyZXMgY2hhcnRlciBjb25jZXJucyBhbiBhbGxvZA0KPj4gYXBwYXJl bnRseSBvbiB0aGUgU2FtYnJlLCBub3QgbmVhciBlbm91Z2ggdG8gSGFzbm9uIGZvciB0aGVtIHRv IGFwcGVhbA0KPj4gdG8gYW55b25lIHdob3NlIGF1dGhvcml0eSBkaWQgbm90IGV4dGVuZCBmYXIg ZnJvbSB0aGVyZS4NCj4+IFBldGVyIFN0ZXdhcnQNCj4gDQo+IEkgY2VydGFpbmx5IGFncmVlIHRo YXQgaW4gdGhpcyBwZXJpb2QgYW5kIHJlZ2lvbiB0aGUgdGVybSBjb3VudHkgZGlkIG5vdCBpbXBs eSBhbnkga2luZCBvZiBsb2dpY2FsLCBjb250aWd1b3VzLCBnZW9ncmFwaGljYWwgdW5pdC4gVGhh dCBpcyBzb21ldGhpbmcgSSBoYXZlIHNwZW50IGEgbGl0dGxlIHRpbWUgb24sIGFsdGhvdWdoIGxv b2tpbmcgbW9yZSBjb25jZXJuaW5nIG90aGVyIGV4YW1wbGVzLiBBcyB5b3Uga25vdywgY29taXRh dHVzIGluIHRoaXMgcGVyaW9kIGFuZCByZWdpb24gbWFpbmx5IHJlZmVycmVkIHRvIGp1cmlzZGlj dGlvbnMsIGFuZCBpZiBsYW5kcyB3ZXJlIGJlaW5nIHJlZmVycmVkIHRvLCB0aGVuIHRoZSBsYW5k cyB3ZXJlIHByb2JhYmx5IGNvbm5lY3RlZCB0byB0aGUgb2ZmaWNlIGludm9sdmVkLiBGb3IgZXhh bXBsZSBhIGNhc3RhbGxhbnksIG9yIGFkdm9jYWN5LCB3b3VsZCBpbnZvbHZlIHRoZSBob2xkaW5n IG9mIGxhbmRzIHdoaWNoIHN1cHBsaWVkIGFuIGluY29tZSB0byB0aGUgb2ZmaWNlLWhvbGRlci4g VGhlIHRlcm0gInBhZ3VzIiAod2hpY2ggd2FzIHRlcnJpdG9yaWFsKSB3YXMgdmVyeSBjbGVhcmx5 IGRpc3Rpbmd1aXNoZWQgZnJvbSAiY29taXRhdHVzIi4gSSB0aGluayBpdCBhbHNvIGdldHMgY29u ZnVzaW5nIGJlY2F1c2UgdGhlIHdvcmRzIGNvdW50IGFuZCBjb3VudHkgZG8gbm90IGFsd2F5cyBs aW5lIHVwIHdlbGwuIEl0IGFwcGVhcnMgdGhlcmUgY291bGQgYmUgY291bnRzIHdpdGhvdXQgY291 bnRpZXMsIHBhcnRseSBiZWNhdXNlIHRoZSB3b3JkIGNvdW50IGFsc28gaW1wbGllZCBhIGNlcnRh aW4gbGV2ZWwgb2Ygbm9ibGUgc3RhdHVzLiBUaGUgdGVybWlub2xvZ3kgd2FzIG5vdCBzdGFuZGFy ZGl6ZWQgb3IgZWFzeSB0byBpbnRlcnByZXQuIEkgZG9uJ3QgdGhpbmsgdGhlcmUgd2FzIGFueSBj bGVhciBsaW5lIHN0b3BwaW5nIGEgY2FzdGVsbGFuIG9jY2FzaW9uYWxseSBnZXR0aW5nIGNhbGxl ZCBhIGNvdW50LCBlc3BlY2lhbGx5IGlmIHRoZXkgd2VyZSB3ZWFsdGh5LCB3ZWxsLWNvbm5lY3Rl ZCBhbmQgaGVsZCBhIGZldyBzdWNoIG9mZmljZXMuDQo+IA0KPiBCdXQgY29taW5nIGJhY2sgdG8g eW91ciByZW1hcmsgUGV0ZXIsIGRvZXNuJ3QgdGhpcyBhbGwgbWVhbiB0aGF0IGl0IGlzIGluIGZh Y3QgcG9zc2libGUgZHVyaW5nIHRoaXMgcGVyaW9kIGZvciByZWxhdGl2ZWx5IG1pbm9yIGxvcmRz IHRvIG9jY2FzaW9uYWxseSBiZSBjYWxsZWQgYSBjb3VudCwgZXNwZWNpYWxseSBpZiBoZSBoYWQg dGhlIHJpZ2h0IHJlbGF0aXZlcz8gSSBhbHNvIHRoaW5rIGl0IHdhcyBwb3NzaWJsZSBmb3IgdGhl bSB0byBoYXZlIHF1aXRlIGRpc3RhbnQgbGFuZHMuIFRoZSBjb3VudHMgb2YgRHVyYXMgYW5kIHRo ZSBjb3VudHMgb2YgTG9vbiBvcmlnaW5hbGx5IGhhZCBpc29sYXRlZCBsYW5kcyB3aGljaCBsYXkg dmVyeSBmYXIgYXdheSBmcm9tIHRoZSBjYXN0bGVzIHRoZXkgd2VyZSBuYW1lZCBhZnRlci4gSSBh bSBub3QgYXJndWluZyBmb3IgYW55dGhpbmcgc3BlY2lmaWNhbGx5LCBidXQgSSBhbSB3b25kZXJp bmcgYWJvdXQgdGhlIHdheSB5b3UgdHJ5IHRvIG5hcnJvdyBkb3duIHRoZSBvcHRpb25zLiBDYW4g d2UgZXhjbHVkZSB0aGUgcG9zc2liaWxpdHkgdGhhdCB0aGVyZSB3YXMgYSAiY291bnQiIG9mIEhh c25vbiB3aG8gaGVsZCBsYW5kIG9uIHRoZSBTYW1icmU/DQoNCk5vdCBhdCBhbGwsIGJlY2F1c2Ug dGhlIGNvdW50IG9mIEhhc25vbiB3YXMgdGhlIGNvdW50IG9mIEhhaW5hdXQuDQoNClZhbiBEcm9v Z2VuYnJvZWNrIGNvcnJlY3RseSBzYXlzIChwLjY5KSB0aGF0IEhhc25vbiBiZWNhbWUgdGhlIGhv dXNlIA0KYWJiZXkgYW5kIGJ1cmlhbC1wbGFjZSBvZiB0aGUgY291bnRzIG9mIEhhaW5hdXQsIG5v dGluZyB0aGF0IFJpY2hpbGRlJ3MgDQpzZWNvbmQgaHVzYmFuZCB3aG8gd2FzIGJ1cmllZCB0aGVy ZSAoYXMgc2hlIHdhcyB0b28pIGJlY2FtZSBrbm93biBhcyANCkJhbGR1aW4gb2YgSGFzbm9uLg0K DQpNYWludGFpbmluZyBpbXBvcnRhbnQgYWJiZXlzIHdhcyBjb3JlIGJ1c2luZXNzIGZvciAxMXRo LWNlbnR1cnkgY291bnRzIC0gDQogICB0aGVpciB3b3JsZGx5IHByZXN0aWdlIGFzIHdlbGwgYXMg ZXRlcm5hbCBob3BlcyB3ZXJlIGJvdW5kIHVwIGluIA0KdGhpcy4gQ29taXRhbCBmYW1pbGllcyB3 ZXJlIG5vdCBsaWtlbHkgdG8gY2hvc2UgYW4gYWJiZXkgdGhhdCBoYWQgb25jZSANCmJlZW4gaGl2 ZWQgb2ZmIGFzIGFuIGFwYW5hZ2Ugb2YgYSBjYWRldCBicmFuY2ggdG8gYmUgYXQgdGhlIGNlbnRy ZSBvZiANCnRoZWlyIGR5bmFzdGljIGJyYW5kIG9uIGVhcnRoIGFuZCBpbiBoZWF2ZW4uDQoNClBl dGVyIFN0ZXdhcnQNCg0KDQoNCi0tIA0KVGhpcyBlbWFpbCBoYXMgYmVlbiBjaGVja2VkIGZvciB2 aXJ1c2VzIGJ5IEFWRyBhbnRpdmlydXMgc29mdHdhcmUuDQp3d3cuYXZnLmNvbQ==

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to All on Fri Mar 3 08:29:04 2023
    T24gMDMtTWFyLTIzIDEyOjQwIEFNLCBsYW5jYXN0Li4uQGdtYWlsLmNvbSB3cm90ZToNCj4gT24g V2VkbmVzZGF5LCBNYXJjaCAxLCAyMDIzIGF0IDExOjQ5OjUy4oCvUE0gVVRDKzEsIFBldGVyIFN0 ZXdhcnQgd3JvdGU6DQo+PiBPbiAwMi1NYXItMjMgODo0MSBBTSwgdGFmIHdyb3RlOg0KPj4+IE9u IFdlZG5lc2RheSwgTWFyY2ggMSwgMjAyMyBhdCA5OjM2OjI34oCvQU0gVVRDLTgsIEVubm8gQm9y Z3N0ZWVkZSB3cm90ZToNCj4+Pj4gSGVsbG8gUGV0ZXIsDQo+Pj4+PiBUaGUgc2luZ2xlIGNpdGF0 aW9uIGdpdmVuIGJ5IFZhbiBEcm9vZ2VuYnJvZWNrIGZvciB0aGlzIG9uIHAuIDEwNCBpcyB0aGUN Cj4+Pj4+IDEwNTcgZW50cnkgaW4gdGhlIGFubmFscyBvZiBNb250LUJsYW5kaW4gYWJiZXksIHRv IHdoaWNoIGhlIHJlZmVycyBmb3INCj4+Pj4+IEJhbGR3aW4gVkkgb2YgRmxhbmRlcnMgaGF2aW5n IG9idGFpbmVkIHRoZSBjb3VudHNoaXAgb2YgSGFpbmF1dCBmcm9tIHRoZQ0KPj4+Pj4gZW1wZXJv ciBpbiB0aGF0IHllYXIgdGhyb3VnaCB0aGUgaW50ZXJ2ZW50aW9uIG9mIFBvcGUgVmljdG9yIElJ DQo+Pj4+PiAoIkJhbGR1aW51cyBpdW5pb3IgbWFyY2h5c3VzIE5lcnZpb3J1bSBjb21pdGF0dW0g aW1wZXJpYWxpIG11bmlmaWNlbnRpYQ0KPj4+Pj4gZXQgYXVjdG9yaXRhdGUgYXBvc3RvbGljYSBz dXNjZXBpdCIpLCBhZGRpbmcgLSB3aXRob3V0IGNpdGluZyBhbnkNCj4+Pj4+IGF1dGhvcml0eSAt IHRoYXQgVmljdG9yJ3MgcHJlZGVjZXNzb3IgTGVvIElYIChkaWVkIDE5IEFwcmlsIDEwNTQpIGhh ZA0KPj4+Pj4gcHJldmlvdXNseSBncmFudGVkIGEgZGlzcGVuc2F0aW9uIGZvciB0aGUgNXRoLWRl Z3JlZSBjb25zYW5ndWluaXR5DQo+Pj4+PiBiZXR3ZWVuIEJhbGR3aW4gYW5kIFJpY2hpbGRlLg0K Pj4+Pj4NCj4+Pj4+IFllc3RlcmRheSBJIG5vdGVkIHRoYXQgdGhpcyBpcyBub3QgYW4gYWNjdXJh dGUgcmVwcmVzZW50YXRpb24gb2YgdGhlDQo+Pj4+PiB1bmNpdGVkIHNvdXJjZS9zIFZhbiBEcm9v Z2VuYnJvZWNrIHdhcyBldmlkZW50bHkgcmVseWluZyBvbiwgYXMgTGVvJ3MNCj4+Pj4+IGFsbGVn ZWQgZGlzcGVuc2F0aW9uIHdhcyBnaXZlbiBmb3IgdGhlIGJsb29kIGtpbnNoaXAgYmV0d2VlbiBC YWxkd2luIGFuZA0KPj4+Pj4gUmljaGlsZGUncyBwcmV2aW91cyBodXNiYW5kLCBub3Qgd2l0aCB0 aGUgbGFkeSBoZXJzZWxmLCBidXQgaXQgaXMgYWxzbw0KPj4+Pj4gd29ydGggcG9pbnRpbmcgb3V0 IHRoYXQgdGhlIDEwNTcgaW5mb3JtYXRpb24gaW1wbGljaXRseSB1bmRlcm1pbmVzIHRoZQ0KPj4+ Pj4gYWxyZWFkeSBzaGFreSBjcmVkaWJpbGl0eSBvZiAnRmxhbmRyaWEgZ2VuZXJvc2EnIGFib3V0 IHRoaXMuDQo+Pj4+Pg0KPj4+Pj4gRmlyc3QsIGl0IG1pc25hbWVzIHRoZSBiaXNob3Agb2YgQ2Ft YnJhaSB3aG8gaGFkIHJlcG9ydGVkbHkNCj4+Pj4+IGV4Y29tbXVuaWNhdGVkIEJhbGR3aW4gb3Zl ciB0aGUgbWFycmlhZ2UgYXMgSW5nZWxiZXJ0ICh0aGUgYmlzaG9wIGF0IHRoZQ0KPj4+Pj4gdGlt ZSB3YXMgYWN0dWFsbHkgbmFtZWQgTGlldGJlcnQpLiBTZWNvbmRseSwgaW4gY29udHJhZGljdGlv biB0byBWYW4NCj4+Pj4+IERyb29nZW5icm9lY2sncyBhc3NlcnRpb24gdGhlIChhcHBhcmVudGx5 IGluZm9ybWFsKSBwYXBhbCBkaXNwZW5zYXRpb24NCj4+Pj4+IHdhcyBzdXBwb3NlZGx5IGdyYW50 ZWQgb24gY29uZGl0aW9uIHRoYXQgdGhlIGNvdXBsZSBzaG91bGQgbGl2ZSB0b2dldGhlcg0KPj4+ Pj4gaW4gY2hhc3RpdHkgKCJhYnNxdWUgY2FybmFsaSBjb21taXh0aW9uZSBtYW5lcmVudCIpLiBI b3dldmVyLCBieSB0aGUNCj4+Pj4+IHRpbWUgb2YgUG9wZSBWaWN0b3IgSUkncyBpbnRlcnZlbnRp b24gb24gQmFsZHdpbidzIGJlaGFsZiBpbiAxMDU3IGhlIGhhZA0KPj4+Pj4gZmF0aGVyZWQgdHdv IHNvbnMgd2l0aCBSaWNoaWxkZSwgd2hvIHdlcmUgcHJlc3VtYWJseSBub3QgYm9ybiBmcm9tDQo+ Pj4+PiBpbW1hY3VsYXRlIGNvbmNlcHRpb24uIFBvcGVzIGluIHRoZSAxMXRoIGNlbnR1cnkgd2Vy ZSBvZiBjb3Vyc2Ugbm90IGluDQo+Pj4+PiB0aGUgaGFiaXQgb2YgZmF2b3VyaW5nIG1pc2NyZWFu dHMgd2hvIGhhZCBmbG91dGVkIHRoZSBjb25kaXRpb25zIG9mDQo+Pj4+PiB0aGVpciBvd24gcmVs ZWFzZSBieSBhIHByZWRlY2Vzc29yIGZyb20gZXhjb21tdW5pY2F0aW9uLg0KPj4+PiBPSywgdGhh dCdzIGNsZWFyLCB0aGFua3MuDQo+Pj4+DQo+Pj4+IFRoaXMgbGVhdmVzIG9uZSBxdWVzdGlvbiBm b3IgbWUsIGFuZCB0aGF0J3MgYWJvdXQgaGVyIHBhdGVybmFsIGRlc2NlbnQuDQo+Pj4+IEFib3V0 IHRoYXQsIHRoZSBhdXRob3Igd3JvdGUgdGhhdCBzaGUncyBub3QgYSBkYXVnaHRlciBvZiBSZWlu aWVyIFYgdmFuDQo+Pj4+IEJlcmdlbiwgYXMgc2hlIGFwcGVhcnMgaW4gbWFueSBHRURDT00gZmls ZXMgdGhhdCBJIGZvdW5kLCBidXQgcmF0aGVyIGENCj4+Pj4gZ3JhbmRkYXVnaHRlciBvZiBSZWlu aWVyIExhbmdoYWxzLCBhLmsuYS4gUmVpbmllciB2YW4gTGV1dmVuLCBhcyBoZSBpcw0KPj4+PiBu YW1lZCBpbiBmb290bm90ZSA3Mi4NCj4+Pj4NCj4+Pj4gSGUgZGVmZW5kcyB0aGlzIHBvc2l0aW9u IGJ5IGNsYWltaW5nIHRoYXQgSGFzbm9uIHNob3VsZCBub3QgYmUgbWl4ZWQgdXANCj4+Pj4gd2l0 aCBIYWluYXV0LCBhbmQgdGhhdCBzb3VuZHMgcXVpdGUgcmVhc29uYWJsZSB0byBtZS4NCj4+Pj4N Cj4+Pj4gV2hhdCdzIHlvdXIgb3BpbmlvbiBvbiB0aGF0Pw0KPj4+DQo+Pj4gVGhpcyByZWFsbHkg aW50ZXJtaW5nbGVzIHR3byBkaXN0aW5jdCBpc3N1ZXMuIE1hbnkgdHJhZGl0aW9uYWwgcGVkaWdy ZWVzIHNob3dlZCBoZXIgYXMgZGF1Z2h0ZXIgb2YgUmVpbmllciBWLiBUaGlzIGFyb3NlIGZyb20g dGhlIHBhc3NhZ2Ugb2YgSGFpbmF1dCBmcm9tIEhlcm1hbiwgUmVpbmllciBWJ3Mgc29uLCB0byBC YWxkd2luIFZJIGFuZCBSaWNoaWxkZSwgd2hvIHdlcmUgb2YgdGhlIHNhbWUgZ2VuZXJhdGlvbiwg YW5kIHRodXMgUmljaGlsZGUgd2FzIHBvcnRyYXllZCBhcyBzaXN0ZXIgb2YgSGVybWFuIGFuZCBk YXVnaHRlciBvZiBSZWluaWVyIFYuIFRoaXMgaGFzIGxvbmcgYmVlbiBrbm93biB0byBiZSBmYWxz ZSwgYXMgc2hlIHdhcyB3aWRvdyBvZiBIZXJtYW4sIG5vdCBoaXMgc2lzdGVyLCB3aXRoIGhlciBw YXJlbnRhZ2UgdW5rbm93bi4NCj4+Pg0KPj4+IFRoZSBub3ZlbCB0aGVvcnkgYXNzaWducyBoZXIg bmV3IHBhcmVudGFnZSwgd2l0aCBoZXIgZmF0aGVyLCBzb2xlbHkgYnkgY29pbmNpZGVuY2UsIGJl aW5nIGEgbWFuIGFsc28gbmFtZWQgUmVpbmllciAobG9yZCBvZiBIYXNub24pLiBXaGV0aGVyIHRo aXMgcmVsYXRpb25zaGlwIGlzIHRydWUgb3Igbm90LCBSZWluaWVyIFYgaXMgbm90IGFuIG9wdGlv bi4gSSBzdXNwZWN0IGhlIHNhaWQgdGhlIGxpbmUgYWJvdXQgSGFzbm9uIG1peGVkIHVwIHdpdGgg SGFpbmF1dCwgbm90IGFzIGEgZGVmZW5zZSBvZiBoaXMgcG9zaXRpb24sIHBlciBzZSwgYnV0IGp1 c3QgdG8gaGVhZCBvZmYgcG9zc2libGUgY29uZnVzaW9uIGJldHdlZW4gaGlzIHJlY2VudCBjb25j bHVzaW9uIGFuZCB0aGUgb2xkIGFuZCBrbm93biB0byBiZSBmYWxzZSBIYWluYXV0IHBhdGVybml0 eSwgbGVzdCBhbnlvbmUgbG9va2luZyBhdCBpdCBzdXBlcmZpY2lhbGx5IGFuZCBzZWVpbmcgdGhl IG5hbWUgJ1JlaW5pZXInIG1pZ2h0IHRoaW5rIGhlIHdhcyByZXdhcm1pbmcgdGhlIG9sZCBjaGVz dG51dCByYXRoZXIgdGhhbiBwcmVzZW50aW5nIGEgbm92ZWwgdGhlb3J5Lg0KPj4gVmFuIERyb29n ZW5icm9lY2sgd2FzIGFyZ3VpbmcgdGhhdCBhIHByb2JsZW1hdGljIGNoYXJ0ZXIgZnJvbSBIb21i bGnDqHJlcw0KPj4gaW4gd2hpY2ggYSBSZWluaWVyIG9jY3VycyBhcyBjb3VudCAobm90IGxvcmQp IG9mIEhhc25vbiB3YXMgbm90DQo+PiByZWZlcnJpbmcgdG8gYSBjb3VudCBvZiBIYWluYXV0IGFz IHVzdWFsbHkgYXNzZXNzZWQsIGJlY2F1c2UgaGUgdGhvdWdodA0KPj4gKHAuIDY4KSB0aGF0IGlm IEhhaW5hdXQgaGFkIGJlZW4gbWVhbnQgaGUgd291bGQgdGhlbiBoYXZlIGJlZW4NCj4+IGRlc2ln bmF0ZWQgZWl0aGVyICJNb250ZW5zaXMiIG9yICJDYXN0cmlsb2NpIiByYXRoZXIgdGhhbg0KPj4g Ikhhc25vbm5lbnNpcyIuIEhvd2V2ZXIsIHRoZSBjaGFydGVyIHdhcyBwcm9iYWJseSB3cml0dGVu IGluIHRoZSAxMDgwcw0KPj4gYnkgd2hlbiB0aGUgbW9ua3Mgb2YgSG9tYmxpw6hyZXMgbWF5IGhh dmUgbWlzdGFrZW4gdGhlIG5hbWUgb2YgdGhlIGNvdW50DQo+PiBzb21lIDQwIHllYXJzIGVhcmxp ZXIgcmF0aGVyIHRoYW4gaGlzIHRlcnJpdG9yaWFsIGp1cmlzZGljdGlvbiwgaW4gd2hpY2gNCj4+ IGNhc2UgSGVybWFuIHdvdWxkIGJlIGNvcnJlY3QgaW5zdGVhZCBvZiBSZWluaWVyLg0KPj4NCj4+ IEluIGFueSBldmVudCwgdGhlcmUgaXMgaW5zdWZmaWNpZW50IGJhc2lzIGluIHRoaXMgb25lIG9j Y3VycmVuY2UgdG8NCj4+IGFzc3VtZSB0aGVyZSB3YXMgYW55IGxvcmQgb3IgY291bnQgb2YgSGFz bm9uIGRpc3RpbmN0IGZyb20gdGhlIGNvdW50IG9mDQo+PiBIYWluYXV0LiBJbiB0aGUgMTF0aCBj ZW50dXJ5IGNvbWl0YWwgY291cnRzIHdlcmUgcGVyaXBhdGV0aWMsIGFuZCBjb3VudHMNCj4+IHdl cmUgZnJlcXVlbnRseSBkZXNpZ25hdGVkIGJ5IHRoZWlyIHBsYWNlIG9mIHJlc2lkZW5jZSB3aXRo aW4gdGhlaXINCj4+IHRlcnJpdG9yaWFsIHNwaGVyZSBhdCBkaWZmZXJlbnQgdGltZXMgKGUuZy4g T3R0byBvZiBXZWltYXIgb3IgT3JsYW3DvG5kZSkuDQo+Pg0KPj4gVGhlIG1hdHRlciBhdCBpc3N1 ZSBpbiB0aGUgSG9tYmxpw6hyZXMgY2hhcnRlciBjb25jZXJucyBhbiBhbGxvZA0KPj4gYXBwYXJl bnRseSBvbiB0aGUgU2FtYnJlLCBub3QgbmVhciBlbm91Z2ggdG8gSGFzbm9uIGZvciB0aGVtIHRv IGFwcGVhbA0KPj4gdG8gYW55b25lIHdob3NlIGF1dGhvcml0eSBkaWQgbm90IGV4dGVuZCBmYXIg ZnJvbSB0aGVyZS4NCj4+IFBldGVyIFN0ZXdhcnQNCj4gDQo+IEkgY2VydGFpbmx5IGFncmVlIHRo YXQgaW4gdGhpcyBwZXJpb2QgYW5kIHJlZ2lvbiB0aGUgdGVybSBjb3VudHkgZGlkIG5vdCBpbXBs eSBhbnkga2luZCBvZiBsb2dpY2FsLCBjb250aWd1b3VzLCBnZW9ncmFwaGljYWwgdW5pdC4gVGhh dCBpcyBzb21ldGhpbmcgSSBoYXZlIHNwZW50IGEgbGl0dGxlIHRpbWUgb24sIGFsdGhvdWdoIGxv b2tpbmcgbW9yZSBjb25jZXJuaW5nIG90aGVyIGV4YW1wbGVzLiBBcyB5b3Uga25vdywgY29taXRh dHVzIGluIHRoaXMgcGVyaW9kIGFuZCByZWdpb24gbWFpbmx5IHJlZmVycmVkIHRvIGp1cmlzZGlj dGlvbnMsIGFuZCBpZiBsYW5kcyB3ZXJlIGJlaW5nIHJlZmVycmVkIHRvLCB0aGVuIHRoZSBsYW5k cyB3ZXJlIHByb2JhYmx5IGNvbm5lY3RlZCB0byB0aGUgb2ZmaWNlIGludm9sdmVkLiBGb3IgZXhh bXBsZSBhIGNhc3RhbGxhbnksIG9yIGFkdm9jYWN5LCB3b3VsZCBpbnZvbHZlIHRoZSBob2xkaW5n IG9mIGxhbmRzIHdoaWNoIHN1cHBsaWVkIGFuIGluY29tZSB0byB0aGUgb2ZmaWNlLWhvbGRlci4g VGhlIHRlcm0gInBhZ3VzIiAod2hpY2ggd2FzIHRlcnJpdG9yaWFsKSB3YXMgdmVyeSBjbGVhcmx5 IGRpc3Rpbmd1aXNoZWQgZnJvbSAiY29taXRhdHVzIi4gSSB0aGluayBpdCBhbHNvIGdldHMgY29u ZnVzaW5nIGJlY2F1c2UgdGhlIHdvcmRzIGNvdW50IGFuZCBjb3VudHkgZG8gbm90IGFsd2F5cyBs aW5lIHVwIHdlbGwuIEl0IGFwcGVhcnMgdGhlcmUgY291bGQgYmUgY291bnRzIHdpdGhvdXQgY291 bnRpZXMsIHBhcnRseSBiZWNhdXNlIHRoZSB3b3JkIGNvdW50IGFsc28gaW1wbGllZCBhIGNlcnRh aW4gbGV2ZWwgb2Ygbm9ibGUgc3RhdHVzLiBUaGUgdGVybWlub2xvZ3kgd2FzIG5vdCBzdGFuZGFy ZGl6ZWQgb3IgZWFzeSB0byBpbnRlcnByZXQuIEkgZG9uJ3QgdGhpbmsgdGhlcmUgd2FzIGFueSBj bGVhciBsaW5lIHN0b3BwaW5nIGEgY2FzdGVsbGFuIG9jY2FzaW9uYWxseSBnZXR0aW5nIGNhbGxl ZCBhIGNvdW50LCBlc3BlY2lhbGx5IGlmIHRoZXkgd2VyZSB3ZWFsdGh5LCB3ZWxsLWNvbm5lY3Rl ZCBhbmQgaGVsZCBhIGZldyBzdWNoIG9mZmljZXMuDQoNCkkgb3Zlcmxvb2tlZCB0aGlzIGJlZm9y ZSAtIEknbSBub3Qgc3VyZSB3aGF0IHlvdSBjYW4gbWVhbiBieSAiY291bnRzIA0Kd2l0aG91dCBj b3VudGllcyIgdW5sZXNzIHRoaXMgcmVmZXJzIHRvIHNvbWVvbmUgYWNjb3JkZWQgdGhlIHRpdGxl ICJhZCANCnBlcnNvbmFtIi4gV2hvIGluIHBhcnRpY3VsYXIgYXJlIHlvdSB0aGlua2luZyBvZj8N Cg0KQXMgZm9yIGNhc3RlbGxhbnMgb2NjYXNpb25hbGx5IGdldHRpbmcgY2FsbGVkIGNvdW50LCBh Z2FpbiB3aG8gaW4gDQpwYXJ0aWN1bGFyIGRpZCB0aGlzIGhhcHBlbiB3aXRoIGluIDExdGgtY2Vu dHVyeSBGcmFuY2Ugb3IgR2VybWFueT8gVGhlcmUgDQp3ZXJlIGNlcnRhaW5seSBzb21lIGNvdW50 c2hpcHMgdGhhdCBhcHBlYXJlZCBpbiBub3J0aC1lYXN0ZXJuIEZyYW5jaWEgDQpkdXJpbmcgdGhl IGRlY2F5IG9mIENhcm9saW5naWFuIGF1dGhvcml0eSBhbmQgdGhlIHVuY2VydGFpbnR5IG9mIGVh cmx5IA0KQ2FwZXRpYW4gcnVsZS4gVGhlcmUgd2VyZSBhbHNvIHNvbWUgbWlub3IgY291bnRzaGlw cyB0aGF0IGhlbGQgYSBzdGF0dXMgDQpiYXJsZXkgYWJvdmUgdGhhdCBvZiB2aXNjb3VudGNpZXMs IGFzIGNsaWVudHMgb2YgbWFqb3IgY291bnRzIGluIHRoZSANCnJlZ2lvbiAoZS5nLiBTYWludC1Q b2wgdG8gQm91bG9nbmUpIG9yIGFzIHVwc3RhcnRzIHRoYXQgd2VyZSBwcm9uZSB0byBiZSANCnRh a2VuIG92ZXIgKGUuZy4gQ2FtYnJhaSBieSBGbGFuZGVycykuDQoNClBldGVyIFN0ZXdhcnQNCg0K DQoNCi0tIA0KVGhpcyBlbWFpbCBoYXMgYmVlbiBjaGVja2VkIGZvciB2aXJ1c2VzIGJ5IEFWRyBh bnRpdmlydXMgc29mdHdhcmUuDQp3d3cuYXZnLmNvbQ==

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to All on Fri Mar 3 11:29:37 2023
    T24gMDMtTWFyLTIzIDEyOjQwIEFNLCBsYW5jYXN0Li4uQGdtYWlsLmNvbSB3cm90ZToNCj4gT24g V2VkbmVzZGF5LCBNYXJjaCAxLCAyMDIzIGF0IDExOjQ5OjUy4oCvUE0gVVRDKzEsIFBldGVyIFN0 ZXdhcnQgd3JvdGU6DQo+PiBPbiAwMi1NYXItMjMgODo0MSBBTSwgdGFmIHdyb3RlOg0KPj4+IE9u IFdlZG5lc2RheSwgTWFyY2ggMSwgMjAyMyBhdCA5OjM2OjI34oCvQU0gVVRDLTgsIEVubm8gQm9y Z3N0ZWVkZSB3cm90ZToNCj4+Pj4gSGVsbG8gUGV0ZXIsDQo+Pj4+PiBUaGUgc2luZ2xlIGNpdGF0 aW9uIGdpdmVuIGJ5IFZhbiBEcm9vZ2VuYnJvZWNrIGZvciB0aGlzIG9uIHAuIDEwNCBpcyB0aGUN Cj4+Pj4+IDEwNTcgZW50cnkgaW4gdGhlIGFubmFscyBvZiBNb250LUJsYW5kaW4gYWJiZXksIHRv IHdoaWNoIGhlIHJlZmVycyBmb3INCj4+Pj4+IEJhbGR3aW4gVkkgb2YgRmxhbmRlcnMgaGF2aW5n IG9idGFpbmVkIHRoZSBjb3VudHNoaXAgb2YgSGFpbmF1dCBmcm9tIHRoZQ0KPj4+Pj4gZW1wZXJv ciBpbiB0aGF0IHllYXIgdGhyb3VnaCB0aGUgaW50ZXJ2ZW50aW9uIG9mIFBvcGUgVmljdG9yIElJ DQo+Pj4+PiAoIkJhbGR1aW51cyBpdW5pb3IgbWFyY2h5c3VzIE5lcnZpb3J1bSBjb21pdGF0dW0g aW1wZXJpYWxpIG11bmlmaWNlbnRpYQ0KPj4+Pj4gZXQgYXVjdG9yaXRhdGUgYXBvc3RvbGljYSBz dXNjZXBpdCIpLCBhZGRpbmcgLSB3aXRob3V0IGNpdGluZyBhbnkNCj4+Pj4+IGF1dGhvcml0eSAt IHRoYXQgVmljdG9yJ3MgcHJlZGVjZXNzb3IgTGVvIElYIChkaWVkIDE5IEFwcmlsIDEwNTQpIGhh ZA0KPj4+Pj4gcHJldmlvdXNseSBncmFudGVkIGEgZGlzcGVuc2F0aW9uIGZvciB0aGUgNXRoLWRl Z3JlZSBjb25zYW5ndWluaXR5DQo+Pj4+PiBiZXR3ZWVuIEJhbGR3aW4gYW5kIFJpY2hpbGRlLg0K Pj4+Pj4NCj4+Pj4+IFllc3RlcmRheSBJIG5vdGVkIHRoYXQgdGhpcyBpcyBub3QgYW4gYWNjdXJh dGUgcmVwcmVzZW50YXRpb24gb2YgdGhlDQo+Pj4+PiB1bmNpdGVkIHNvdXJjZS9zIFZhbiBEcm9v Z2VuYnJvZWNrIHdhcyBldmlkZW50bHkgcmVseWluZyBvbiwgYXMgTGVvJ3MNCj4+Pj4+IGFsbGVn ZWQgZGlzcGVuc2F0aW9uIHdhcyBnaXZlbiBmb3IgdGhlIGJsb29kIGtpbnNoaXAgYmV0d2VlbiBC YWxkd2luIGFuZA0KPj4+Pj4gUmljaGlsZGUncyBwcmV2aW91cyBodXNiYW5kLCBub3Qgd2l0aCB0 aGUgbGFkeSBoZXJzZWxmLCBidXQgaXQgaXMgYWxzbw0KPj4+Pj4gd29ydGggcG9pbnRpbmcgb3V0 IHRoYXQgdGhlIDEwNTcgaW5mb3JtYXRpb24gaW1wbGljaXRseSB1bmRlcm1pbmVzIHRoZQ0KPj4+ Pj4gYWxyZWFkeSBzaGFreSBjcmVkaWJpbGl0eSBvZiAnRmxhbmRyaWEgZ2VuZXJvc2EnIGFib3V0 IHRoaXMuDQo+Pj4+Pg0KPj4+Pj4gRmlyc3QsIGl0IG1pc25hbWVzIHRoZSBiaXNob3Agb2YgQ2Ft YnJhaSB3aG8gaGFkIHJlcG9ydGVkbHkNCj4+Pj4+IGV4Y29tbXVuaWNhdGVkIEJhbGR3aW4gb3Zl ciB0aGUgbWFycmlhZ2UgYXMgSW5nZWxiZXJ0ICh0aGUgYmlzaG9wIGF0IHRoZQ0KPj4+Pj4gdGlt ZSB3YXMgYWN0dWFsbHkgbmFtZWQgTGlldGJlcnQpLiBTZWNvbmRseSwgaW4gY29udHJhZGljdGlv biB0byBWYW4NCj4+Pj4+IERyb29nZW5icm9lY2sncyBhc3NlcnRpb24gdGhlIChhcHBhcmVudGx5 IGluZm9ybWFsKSBwYXBhbCBkaXNwZW5zYXRpb24NCj4+Pj4+IHdhcyBzdXBwb3NlZGx5IGdyYW50 ZWQgb24gY29uZGl0aW9uIHRoYXQgdGhlIGNvdXBsZSBzaG91bGQgbGl2ZSB0b2dldGhlcg0KPj4+ Pj4gaW4gY2hhc3RpdHkgKCJhYnNxdWUgY2FybmFsaSBjb21taXh0aW9uZSBtYW5lcmVudCIpLiBI b3dldmVyLCBieSB0aGUNCj4+Pj4+IHRpbWUgb2YgUG9wZSBWaWN0b3IgSUkncyBpbnRlcnZlbnRp b24gb24gQmFsZHdpbidzIGJlaGFsZiBpbiAxMDU3IGhlIGhhZA0KPj4+Pj4gZmF0aGVyZWQgdHdv IHNvbnMgd2l0aCBSaWNoaWxkZSwgd2hvIHdlcmUgcHJlc3VtYWJseSBub3QgYm9ybiBmcm9tDQo+ Pj4+PiBpbW1hY3VsYXRlIGNvbmNlcHRpb24uIFBvcGVzIGluIHRoZSAxMXRoIGNlbnR1cnkgd2Vy ZSBvZiBjb3Vyc2Ugbm90IGluDQo+Pj4+PiB0aGUgaGFiaXQgb2YgZmF2b3VyaW5nIG1pc2NyZWFu dHMgd2hvIGhhZCBmbG91dGVkIHRoZSBjb25kaXRpb25zIG9mDQo+Pj4+PiB0aGVpciBvd24gcmVs ZWFzZSBieSBhIHByZWRlY2Vzc29yIGZyb20gZXhjb21tdW5pY2F0aW9uLg0KPj4+PiBPSywgdGhh dCdzIGNsZWFyLCB0aGFua3MuDQo+Pj4+DQo+Pj4+IFRoaXMgbGVhdmVzIG9uZSBxdWVzdGlvbiBm b3IgbWUsIGFuZCB0aGF0J3MgYWJvdXQgaGVyIHBhdGVybmFsIGRlc2NlbnQuDQo+Pj4+IEFib3V0 IHRoYXQsIHRoZSBhdXRob3Igd3JvdGUgdGhhdCBzaGUncyBub3QgYSBkYXVnaHRlciBvZiBSZWlu aWVyIFYgdmFuDQo+Pj4+IEJlcmdlbiwgYXMgc2hlIGFwcGVhcnMgaW4gbWFueSBHRURDT00gZmls ZXMgdGhhdCBJIGZvdW5kLCBidXQgcmF0aGVyIGENCj4+Pj4gZ3JhbmRkYXVnaHRlciBvZiBSZWlu aWVyIExhbmdoYWxzLCBhLmsuYS4gUmVpbmllciB2YW4gTGV1dmVuLCBhcyBoZSBpcw0KPj4+PiBu YW1lZCBpbiBmb290bm90ZSA3Mi4NCj4+Pj4NCj4+Pj4gSGUgZGVmZW5kcyB0aGlzIHBvc2l0aW9u IGJ5IGNsYWltaW5nIHRoYXQgSGFzbm9uIHNob3VsZCBub3QgYmUgbWl4ZWQgdXANCj4+Pj4gd2l0 aCBIYWluYXV0LCBhbmQgdGhhdCBzb3VuZHMgcXVpdGUgcmVhc29uYWJsZSB0byBtZS4NCj4+Pj4N Cj4+Pj4gV2hhdCdzIHlvdXIgb3BpbmlvbiBvbiB0aGF0Pw0KPj4+DQo+Pj4gVGhpcyByZWFsbHkg aW50ZXJtaW5nbGVzIHR3byBkaXN0aW5jdCBpc3N1ZXMuIE1hbnkgdHJhZGl0aW9uYWwgcGVkaWdy ZWVzIHNob3dlZCBoZXIgYXMgZGF1Z2h0ZXIgb2YgUmVpbmllciBWLiBUaGlzIGFyb3NlIGZyb20g dGhlIHBhc3NhZ2Ugb2YgSGFpbmF1dCBmcm9tIEhlcm1hbiwgUmVpbmllciBWJ3Mgc29uLCB0byBC YWxkd2luIFZJIGFuZCBSaWNoaWxkZSwgd2hvIHdlcmUgb2YgdGhlIHNhbWUgZ2VuZXJhdGlvbiwg YW5kIHRodXMgUmljaGlsZGUgd2FzIHBvcnRyYXllZCBhcyBzaXN0ZXIgb2YgSGVybWFuIGFuZCBk YXVnaHRlciBvZiBSZWluaWVyIFYuIFRoaXMgaGFzIGxvbmcgYmVlbiBrbm93biB0byBiZSBmYWxz ZSwgYXMgc2hlIHdhcyB3aWRvdyBvZiBIZXJtYW4sIG5vdCBoaXMgc2lzdGVyLCB3aXRoIGhlciBw YXJlbnRhZ2UgdW5rbm93bi4NCj4+Pg0KPj4+IFRoZSBub3ZlbCB0aGVvcnkgYXNzaWducyBoZXIg bmV3IHBhcmVudGFnZSwgd2l0aCBoZXIgZmF0aGVyLCBzb2xlbHkgYnkgY29pbmNpZGVuY2UsIGJl aW5nIGEgbWFuIGFsc28gbmFtZWQgUmVpbmllciAobG9yZCBvZiBIYXNub24pLiBXaGV0aGVyIHRo aXMgcmVsYXRpb25zaGlwIGlzIHRydWUgb3Igbm90LCBSZWluaWVyIFYgaXMgbm90IGFuIG9wdGlv bi4gSSBzdXNwZWN0IGhlIHNhaWQgdGhlIGxpbmUgYWJvdXQgSGFzbm9uIG1peGVkIHVwIHdpdGgg SGFpbmF1dCwgbm90IGFzIGEgZGVmZW5zZSBvZiBoaXMgcG9zaXRpb24sIHBlciBzZSwgYnV0IGp1 c3QgdG8gaGVhZCBvZmYgcG9zc2libGUgY29uZnVzaW9uIGJldHdlZW4gaGlzIHJlY2VudCBjb25j bHVzaW9uIGFuZCB0aGUgb2xkIGFuZCBrbm93biB0byBiZSBmYWxzZSBIYWluYXV0IHBhdGVybml0 eSwgbGVzdCBhbnlvbmUgbG9va2luZyBhdCBpdCBzdXBlcmZpY2lhbGx5IGFuZCBzZWVpbmcgdGhl IG5hbWUgJ1JlaW5pZXInIG1pZ2h0IHRoaW5rIGhlIHdhcyByZXdhcm1pbmcgdGhlIG9sZCBjaGVz dG51dCByYXRoZXIgdGhhbiBwcmVzZW50aW5nIGEgbm92ZWwgdGhlb3J5Lg0KPj4gVmFuIERyb29n ZW5icm9lY2sgd2FzIGFyZ3VpbmcgdGhhdCBhIHByb2JsZW1hdGljIGNoYXJ0ZXIgZnJvbSBIb21i bGnDqHJlcw0KPj4gaW4gd2hpY2ggYSBSZWluaWVyIG9jY3VycyBhcyBjb3VudCAobm90IGxvcmQp IG9mIEhhc25vbiB3YXMgbm90DQo+PiByZWZlcnJpbmcgdG8gYSBjb3VudCBvZiBIYWluYXV0IGFz IHVzdWFsbHkgYXNzZXNzZWQsIGJlY2F1c2UgaGUgdGhvdWdodA0KPj4gKHAuIDY4KSB0aGF0IGlm IEhhaW5hdXQgaGFkIGJlZW4gbWVhbnQgaGUgd291bGQgdGhlbiBoYXZlIGJlZW4NCj4+IGRlc2ln bmF0ZWQgZWl0aGVyICJNb250ZW5zaXMiIG9yICJDYXN0cmlsb2NpIiByYXRoZXIgdGhhbg0KPj4g Ikhhc25vbm5lbnNpcyIuIEhvd2V2ZXIsIHRoZSBjaGFydGVyIHdhcyBwcm9iYWJseSB3cml0dGVu IGluIHRoZSAxMDgwcw0KPj4gYnkgd2hlbiB0aGUgbW9ua3Mgb2YgSG9tYmxpw6hyZXMgbWF5IGhh dmUgbWlzdGFrZW4gdGhlIG5hbWUgb2YgdGhlIGNvdW50DQo+PiBzb21lIDQwIHllYXJzIGVhcmxp ZXIgcmF0aGVyIHRoYW4gaGlzIHRlcnJpdG9yaWFsIGp1cmlzZGljdGlvbiwgaW4gd2hpY2gNCj4+ IGNhc2UgSGVybWFuIHdvdWxkIGJlIGNvcnJlY3QgaW5zdGVhZCBvZiBSZWluaWVyLg0KPj4NCj4+ IEluIGFueSBldmVudCwgdGhlcmUgaXMgaW5zdWZmaWNpZW50IGJhc2lzIGluIHRoaXMgb25lIG9j Y3VycmVuY2UgdG8NCj4+IGFzc3VtZSB0aGVyZSB3YXMgYW55IGxvcmQgb3IgY291bnQgb2YgSGFz bm9uIGRpc3RpbmN0IGZyb20gdGhlIGNvdW50IG9mDQo+PiBIYWluYXV0LiBJbiB0aGUgMTF0aCBj ZW50dXJ5IGNvbWl0YWwgY291cnRzIHdlcmUgcGVyaXBhdGV0aWMsIGFuZCBjb3VudHMNCj4+IHdl cmUgZnJlcXVlbnRseSBkZXNpZ25hdGVkIGJ5IHRoZWlyIHBsYWNlIG9mIHJlc2lkZW5jZSB3aXRo aW4gdGhlaXINCj4+IHRlcnJpdG9yaWFsIHNwaGVyZSBhdCBkaWZmZXJlbnQgdGltZXMgKGUuZy4g T3R0byBvZiBXZWltYXIgb3IgT3JsYW3DvG5kZSkuDQo+Pg0KPj4gVGhlIG1hdHRlciBhdCBpc3N1 ZSBpbiB0aGUgSG9tYmxpw6hyZXMgY2hhcnRlciBjb25jZXJucyBhbiBhbGxvZA0KPj4gYXBwYXJl bnRseSBvbiB0aGUgU2FtYnJlLCBub3QgbmVhciBlbm91Z2ggdG8gSGFzbm9uIGZvciB0aGVtIHRv IGFwcGVhbA0KPj4gdG8gYW55b25lIHdob3NlIGF1dGhvcml0eSBkaWQgbm90IGV4dGVuZCBmYXIg ZnJvbSB0aGVyZS4NCj4+IFBldGVyIFN0ZXdhcnQNCj4gDQo+IEkgY2VydGFpbmx5IGFncmVlIHRo YXQgaW4gdGhpcyBwZXJpb2QgYW5kIHJlZ2lvbiB0aGUgdGVybSBjb3VudHkgZGlkIG5vdCBpbXBs eSBhbnkga2luZCBvZiBsb2dpY2FsLCBjb250aWd1b3VzLCBnZW9ncmFwaGljYWwgdW5pdC4gVGhh dCBpcyBzb21ldGhpbmcgSSBoYXZlIHNwZW50IGEgbGl0dGxlIHRpbWUgb24sIGFsdGhvdWdoIGxv b2tpbmcgbW9yZSBjb25jZXJuaW5nIG90aGVyIGV4YW1wbGVzLiBBcyB5b3Uga25vdywgY29taXRh dHVzIGluIHRoaXMgcGVyaW9kIGFuZCByZWdpb24gbWFpbmx5IHJlZmVycmVkIHRvIGp1cmlzZGlj dGlvbnMsIGFuZCBpZiBsYW5kcyB3ZXJlIGJlaW5nIHJlZmVycmVkIHRvLCB0aGVuIHRoZSBsYW5k cyB3ZXJlIHByb2JhYmx5IGNvbm5lY3RlZCB0byB0aGUgb2ZmaWNlIGludm9sdmVkLiBGb3IgZXhh bXBsZSBhIGNhc3RhbGxhbnksIG9yIGFkdm9jYWN5LCB3b3VsZCBpbnZvbHZlIHRoZSBob2xkaW5n IG9mIGxhbmRzIHdoaWNoIHN1cHBsaWVkIGFuIGluY29tZSB0byB0aGUgb2ZmaWNlLWhvbGRlci4g VGhlIHRlcm0gInBhZ3VzIiAod2hpY2ggd2FzIHRlcnJpdG9yaWFsKSB3YXMgdmVyeSBjbGVhcmx5 IGRpc3Rpbmd1aXNoZWQgZnJvbSAiY29taXRhdHVzIi4gSSB0aGluayBpdCBhbHNvIGdldHMgY29u ZnVzaW5nIGJlY2F1c2UgdGhlIHdvcmRzIGNvdW50IGFuZCBjb3VudHkgZG8gbm90IGFsd2F5cyBs aW5lIHVwIHdlbGwuIEl0IGFwcGVhcnMgdGhlcmUgY291bGQgYmUgY291bnRzIHdpdGhvdXQgY291 bnRpZXMsIHBhcnRseSBiZWNhdXNlIHRoZSB3b3JkIGNvdW50IGFsc28gaW1wbGllZCBhIGNlcnRh aW4gbGV2ZWwgb2Ygbm9ibGUgc3RhdHVzLiBUaGUgdGVybWlub2xvZ3kgd2FzIG5vdCBzdGFuZGFy ZGl6ZWQgb3IgZWFzeSB0byBpbnRlcnByZXQuIEkgZG9uJ3QgdGhpbmsgdGhlcmUgd2FzIGFueSBj bGVhciBsaW5lIHN0b3BwaW5nIGEgY2FzdGVsbGFuIG9jY2FzaW9uYWxseSBnZXR0aW5nIGNhbGxl ZCBhIGNvdW50LCBlc3BlY2lhbGx5IGlmIHRoZXkgd2VyZSB3ZWFsdGh5LCB3ZWxsLWNvbm5lY3Rl ZCBhbmQgaGVsZCBhIGZldyBzdWNoIG9mZmljZXMuDQo+IA0KPiBCdXQgY29taW5nIGJhY2sgdG8g eW91ciByZW1hcmsgUGV0ZXIsIGRvZXNuJ3QgdGhpcyBhbGwgbWVhbiB0aGF0IGl0IGlzIGluIGZh Y3QgcG9zc2libGUgZHVyaW5nIHRoaXMgcGVyaW9kIGZvciByZWxhdGl2ZWx5IG1pbm9yIGxvcmRz IHRvIG9jY2FzaW9uYWxseSBiZSBjYWxsZWQgYSBjb3VudCwgZXNwZWNpYWxseSBpZiBoZSBoYWQg dGhlIHJpZ2h0IHJlbGF0aXZlcz8gSSBhbHNvIHRoaW5rIGl0IHdhcyBwb3NzaWJsZSBmb3IgdGhl bSB0byBoYXZlIHF1aXRlIGRpc3RhbnQgbGFuZHMuIFRoZSBjb3VudHMgb2YgRHVyYXMgYW5kIHRo ZSBjb3VudHMgb2YgTG9vbiBvcmlnaW5hbGx5IGhhZCBpc29sYXRlZCBsYW5kcyB3aGljaCBsYXkg dmVyeSBmYXIgYXdheSBmcm9tIHRoZSBjYXN0bGVzIHRoZXkgd2VyZSBuYW1lZCBhZnRlci4gSSBh bSBub3QgYXJndWluZyBmb3IgYW55dGhpbmcgc3BlY2lmaWNhbGx5LCBidXQgSSBhbSB3b25kZXJp bmcgYWJvdXQgdGhlIHdheSB5b3UgdHJ5IHRvIG5hcnJvdyBkb3duIHRoZSBvcHRpb25zLiBDYW4g d2UgZXhjbHVkZSB0aGUgcG9zc2liaWxpdHkgdGhhdCB0aGVyZSB3YXMgYSAiY291bnQiIG9mIEhh c25vbiB3aG8gaGVsZCBsYW5kIG9uIHRoZSBTYW1icmU/DQoNCkkgZGlkbid0IGhhdmUgdGltZSB0 byBjaGVjayB0aGlzIGVhcmxpZXIgLSB0aGUgc3VtbWFyeSBpbiBOZXdtYW4ncyANCmVkaXRpb24g b2YgdGhlIGRvY3VtZW50IGluIHdoaWNoIGEgY291bnQgb2YgSGFzbm9uIG9jY3VycyBpcyBhcyBm b2xsb3dzOg0KDQoiQSBub3RpY2UgZGVzY3JpYmVzIHRoZSBsZWdhbCByZW1lZGllcyBwdXJzdWVk IGJ5IHRoZSBtb25rcyBvZiANCkhvbWJsacOocmVzIGFnYWluc3QgRnVsYmVydCwgd2hvIHVzdXJw ZWQgYW4gYWxsb2QgW29mIERpbmNoZV0gY2xhaW1pbmcgDQppdHMgYWR2b2NhY3kgYnkgaGVyZWRp dGFyeSByaWdodC4gVGhlIG1vbmtzIHNob3dlZCBoaW0gdGhlIGNoYXJ0ZXIgb2YgDQpoaXMgcmVs YXRpdmUgQW1hbHJpYyBjb25maXJtaW5nIHRoZWlyIHJpZ2h0cywgYnV0IHRvIG5vIGF2YWlsLCBz byB0aGV5IA0KYXBwZWFsZWQgdG8gUmFpbmVyLCBjb3VudCBvZiBIYWluYXV0LCBmb3IganVzdGlj ZS4gVGhlIGNvdW50IHRvb2sgdGhlIA0KYWJib3QsIEJlcm5hcmQsIHRvIHRoZSBjb3VydCBvZiBH ZW9mZnJleSwgZHVrZSBbb2YgTG9ycmFpbmVdLCB0byBzdGF0ZSANCmhpcyBjYXNlLCBhbmQgb24g dGhlaXIgcmV0dXJuIHRoZSBjb3VudCBhc3NlbWJsZWQgYWxsIHRoZSBub3RhYmxlcyBvZiANCnRo ZSByZWdpb24gYW5kIHJlcXVpcmVkIHRoZW0gdG8gdGVzdGlmeSBvbiBvYXRoIGFzIHRvIEZ1bGJl cnQncyByaWdodCB0byANCnRoYXQgYWR2b2NhY3kuIFdoZW4gdGhvc2UgY29uc3VsdGVkIHJlcGxp ZWQgdGhhdCBGdWxiZXJ0IGhhZCBub3QgDQpyZWNlaXZlZCBpdCBmcm9tIHRoZSBjb3VudCwgdGhl IGNvdW50IG9yZGVyZWQgaGltIHRvIG1ha2Ugc2F0aXNmYWN0aW9uIA0KdG8gdGhlIGFiYm90LCB3 aGljaCBoZSBkaWQuIg0KDQpJZiBSYWluaWVyIC0gb3IgbW9yZSBwcm9iYWJseSBIZXJtYW4gYnkg aGlzIGNvcnJlY3QgbmFtZSAtIGhhZCBiZWVuIA0KbWVyZWx5IHRoZSBjYXN0ZWxsYW4gb3IgKHVu ZGVyLSljb3VudCBvZiBIYXNub24gaW5jaWRlbnRhbGx5IGhhcHBlbmluZyANCnRvIG93biBwcm9w ZXJ0eSBvbiB0aGUgU2FtYnJlLCBoZSB3b3VsZCBub3QgaGF2ZSBiZWVuIHRoZSBjb21pdGFsIA0K YXV0aG9yaXR5IHRvIHdob20gdGhlIG1vbmtzIG9mIEhvbWJsacOocmVzIHdvdWxkIGhhdmUgYXBw ZWFsZWQgZm9yIA0KanVzdGljZSwgb3Igd2hvIHdvdWxkIGhhdmUgdGFrZW4gdGhlIGFiYm90IGRp cmVjdGx5IHRvIHRoZSBkdWNhbCBjb3VydCANCmFuZCBzdWJzZXF1ZW50bHkgYXNzZW1ibGVkIGFs bCB0aGUgbm90YWJsZXMgb2YgaGlzIGNvdW50c2hpcCANCigiY29hZHVuYXZpdCBvbW5lcyBtYWlv cmVzIG5hdHUgZXQgcGFyZXMgc3VpIGNvbWl0YXR1cyIpLCBzaW5jZSBoZSB3b3VsZCANCmhhdmUg YmVlbiBpbW1lZGlhdGVseSBzdWJvcmRpbmF0ZSBpbiBzdWNoIG1hdHRlcnMgcmVnYXJkaW5nIGFs bG9kaWFsIA0KcHJvcGVydHkgb24gdGhlIFNhbWJyZSwgYmV5b25kIHRoZSBjb25maW5lcyBvZiB0 aGUgSGFzbm9uIGNhc3RlbGxhbnksIHRvIA0KdGhlIGNvdW50IG9mIEhhaW5hdXQuDQoNClBldGVy IFN0ZXdhcnQNCg0KDQoNCi0tIA0KVGhpcyBlbWFpbCBoYXMgYmVlbiBjaGVja2VkIGZvciB2aXJ1 c2VzIGJ5IEFWRyBhbnRpdmlydXMgc29mdHdhcmUuDQp3d3cuYXZnLmNvbQ==

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From lancaster.boon@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Peter Stewart on Fri Mar 3 05:51:54 2023
    On Thursday, March 2, 2023 at 10:29:06 PM UTC+1, Peter Stewart wrote:
    On 03-Mar-23 12:40 AM, lancast...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Wednesday, March 1, 2023 at 11:49:52 PM UTC+1, Peter Stewart wrote:
    Hello Peter,
    1057 entry in the annals of Mont-Blandin abbey, to which he refers for >>>>> Baldwin VI of Flanders having obtained the countship of Hainaut from the
    emperor in that year through the intervention of Pope Victor II
    et auctoritate apostolica suscepit"), adding - without citing any >>>>> authority - that Victor's predecessor Leo IX (died 19 April 1054) had >>>>> previously granted a dispensation for the 5th-degree consanguinity >>>>> between Baldwin and Richilde.

Yesterday I noted that this is not an accurate representation of the >>>>> uncited source/s Van Droogenbroeck was evidently relying on, as Leo's >>>>> alleged dispensation was given for the blood kinship between Baldwin and
    Richilde's previous husband, not with the lady herself, but it is also >>>>> worth pointing out that the 1057 information implicitly undermines the >>>>> already shaky credibility of 'Flandria generosa' about this.

time was actually named Lietbert). Secondly, in contradiction to Van >>>>> Droogenbroeck's assertion the (apparently informal) papal dispensation >>>>> was supposedly granted on condition that the couple should live together
    in chastity ("absque carnali commixtione manerent"). However, by the >>>>> time of Pope Victor II's intervention on Baldwin's behalf in 1057 he had
    fathered two sons with Richilde, who were presumably not born from >>>>> immaculate conception. Popes in the 11th century were of course not in >>>>> the habit of favouring miscreants who had flouted the conditions of >>>>> their own release by a predecessor from excommunication.

This leaves one question for me, and that's about her paternal descent. >>>> About that, the author wrote that she's not a daughter of Reinier V van >>>> Bergen, as she appears in many GEDCOM files that I found, but rather a >>>> granddaughter of Reinier Langhals, a.k.a. Reinier van Leuven, as he is >>>> named in footnote 72.

He defends this position by claiming that Hasnon should not be mixed up >>>> with Hainaut, and that sounds quite reasonable to me.

The novel theory assigns her new parentage, with her father, solely by coincidence, being a man also named Reinier (lord of Hasnon). Whether this relationship is true or not, Reinier V is not an option. I suspect he said the line about Hasnon mixed
    up with Hainaut, not as a defense of his position, per se, but just to head off possible confusion between his recent conclusion and the old and known to be false Hainaut paternity, lest anyone looking at it superficially and seeing the name 'Reinier'
    might think he was rewarming the old chestnut rather than presenting a novel theory.
    Van Droogenbroeck was arguing that a problematic charter from Homblières >> in which a Reinier occurs as count (not lord) of Hasnon was not
    referring to a count of Hainaut as usually assessed, because he thought >> (p. 68) that if Hainaut had been meant he would then have been
    by when the monks of Homblières may have mistaken the name of the count >> some 40 years earlier rather than his territorial jurisdiction, in which >> case Herman would be correct instead of Reinier.

assume there was any lord or count of Hasnon distinct from the count of >> Hainaut. In the 11th century comital courts were peripatetic, and counts >> were frequently designated by their place of residence within their
    territorial sphere at different times (e.g. Otto of Weimar or Orlamünde).

Peter Stewart

I certainly agree that in this period and region the term county did not imply any kind of logical, contiguous, geographical unit. That is something I have spent a little time on, although looking more concerning other examples. As you know,
    comitatus in this period and region mainly referred to jurisdictions, and if lands were being referred to, then the lands were probably connected to the office involved. For example a castallany, or advocacy, would involve the holding of lands which
    supplied an income to the office-holder. The term "pagus" (which was territorial) was very clearly distinguished from "comitatus". I think it also gets confusing because the words count and county do not always line up well. It appears there could be
    counts without counties, partly because the word count also implied a certain level of noble status. The terminology was not standardized or easy to interpret. I don't think there was any clear line stopping a castellan occasionally getting called a
    count, especially if they were wealthy, well-connected and held a few such offices.
    I overlooked this before - I'm not sure what you can mean by "counts
    without counties" unless this refers to someone accorded the title "ad personam". Who in particular are you thinking of?

As for castellans occasionally getting called count, again who in
    particular did this happen with in 11th-century France or Germany? There were certainly some countships that appeared in north-eastern Francia
    during the decay of Carolingian authority and the uncertainty of early Capetian rule. There were also some minor countships that held a status barley above that of viscountcies, as clients of major counts in the
    region (e.g. Saint-Pol to Boulogne) or as upstarts that were prone to be taken over (e.g. Cambrai by Flanders).
    Peter Stewart

Just on the counts without counties topic:
    Many readers of this list will be familiar with the Breton counts who came to England after 1066. But actually I have examples in mind from the Belgian region. Vanderkindere already named a few from my region (Aarschot, Diest, etc) back at the end of the
    19th century, and wrote that a comitatus could evidently sometimes simply be a jurisdiction. After looking into more cases and discussing it with specialists it is clear that Vanderkindere under-rated this potential source of confusion. Examples which
    have been discussed in print by Michel Margue include Durbuy and La Roche in the Ardennes. The example I have looked at the most is the county of Duras which I believe had no simple geographical definition at all. The founder of that family was known in
    his own lifetime as Count Otto of Loon, but he was evidently the younger brother of the actual count of Loon (Emmo). Duras was a small fort. Otto's descendants apparently held it for the Princebishops as a defence against the counts of Leuven to their
    west. Even the status and geography of the early county of Loon/Looz itself is an entity which is surprisingly difficult to pin down. This becomes clear when you try to read the speculative debates about how it became a vassal of the Princebishop of Liè
    ge. The counties we know from later centuries often seem to have been built partly upon bluff and bluster and good luck. I suppose that as with many things feudal, Anglo-Saxon readers like myself are sometimes misled because of what we've learned about
    post-1066 England, where things were in many ways much more neat and tidy than they were in the empire.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Enno Borgsteede@21:1/5 to All on Fri Mar 3 16:08:54 2023
    Op 02-03-2023 om 00:54 schreef Peter Stewart:

That Richilde (more probably) or her first husband Herman of Hainaut had
    some hereditary claim to Valenciennes that allowed them buy off rival claimaints is stated by Gislebert of Mons, immediately after stating
    quam coemptione facta cum quibusdam nobilibus qui in hereditate illa reclamabant").

To me, this suggests that the former count might have been an uncle.
    Would that be a reasonable thought, based on the laws of those times?

Enno

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From lancaster.boon@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Enno Borgsteede on Fri Mar 3 10:51:26 2023
    On Friday, March 3, 2023 at 4:09:00 PM UTC+1, Enno Borgsteede wrote:
    That Richilde (more probably) or her first husband Herman of Hainaut had some hereditary claim to Valenciennes that allowed them buy off rival claimaints is stated by Gislebert of Mons, immediately after stating
    that the former count there has died without a direct heir ("defuncto comite Valencenensi absque proprii corporis herede tam jure hereditario quam coemptione facta cum quibusdam nobilibus qui in hereditate illa reclamabant").

Well who was previous count of Valenciennes then? I think this is an important point for interpreting this thesis we are discussing.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to All on Sat Mar 4 09:06:16 2023
    T24gMDQtTWFyLTIzIDEyOjUxIEFNLCBsYW5jYXN0Li4uQGdtYWlsLmNvbSB3cm90ZToNCj4gT24g VGh1cnNkYXksIE1hcmNoIDIsIDIwMjMgYXQgMTA6Mjk6MDbigK9QTSBVVEMrMSwgUGV0ZXIgU3Rl d2FydCB3cm90ZToNCj4+IE9uIDAzLU1hci0yMyAxMjo0MCBBTSwgbGFuY2FzdC4uLkBnbWFpbC5j b20gd3JvdGU6DQo+Pj4gT24gV2VkbmVzZGF5LCBNYXJjaCAxLCAyMDIzIGF0IDExOjQ5OjUy4oCv UE0gVVRDKzEsIFBldGVyIFN0ZXdhcnQgd3JvdGU6DQo+Pj4+IE9uIDAyLU1hci0yMyA4OjQxIEFN LCB0YWYgd3JvdGU6DQo+Pj4+PiBPbiBXZWRuZXNkYXksIE1hcmNoIDEsIDIwMjMgYXQgOTozNjoy N+KAr0FNIFVUQy04LCBFbm5vIEJvcmdzdGVlZGUgd3JvdGU6DQo+Pj4+Pj4gSGVsbG8gUGV0ZXIs DQo+Pj4+Pj4+IFRoZSBzaW5nbGUgY2l0YXRpb24gZ2l2ZW4gYnkgVmFuIERyb29nZW5icm9lY2sg Zm9yIHRoaXMgb24gcC4gMTA0IGlzIHRoZQ0KPj4+Pj4+PiAxMDU3IGVudHJ5IGluIHRoZSBhbm5h bHMgb2YgTW9udC1CbGFuZGluIGFiYmV5LCB0byB3aGljaCBoZSByZWZlcnMgZm9yDQo+Pj4+Pj4+ IEJhbGR3aW4gVkkgb2YgRmxhbmRlcnMgaGF2aW5nIG9idGFpbmVkIHRoZSBjb3VudHNoaXAgb2Yg SGFpbmF1dCBmcm9tIHRoZQ0KPj4+Pj4+PiBlbXBlcm9yIGluIHRoYXQgeWVhciB0aHJvdWdoIHRo ZSBpbnRlcnZlbnRpb24gb2YgUG9wZSBWaWN0b3IgSUkNCj4+Pj4+Pj4gKCJCYWxkdWludXMgaXVu aW9yIG1hcmNoeXN1cyBOZXJ2aW9ydW0gY29taXRhdHVtIGltcGVyaWFsaSBtdW5pZmljZW50aWEN Cj4+Pj4+Pj4gZXQgYXVjdG9yaXRhdGUgYXBvc3RvbGljYSBzdXNjZXBpdCIpLCBhZGRpbmcgLSB3 aXRob3V0IGNpdGluZyBhbnkNCj4+Pj4+Pj4gYXV0aG9yaXR5IC0gdGhhdCBWaWN0b3IncyBwcmVk ZWNlc3NvciBMZW8gSVggKGRpZWQgMTkgQXByaWwgMTA1NCkgaGFkDQo+Pj4+Pj4+IHByZXZpb3Vz bHkgZ3JhbnRlZCBhIGRpc3BlbnNhdGlvbiBmb3IgdGhlIDV0aC1kZWdyZWUgY29uc2FuZ3Vpbml0 eQ0KPj4+Pj4+PiBiZXR3ZWVuIEJhbGR3aW4gYW5kIFJpY2hpbGRlLg0KPj4+Pj4+Pg0KPj4+Pj4+ PiBZZXN0ZXJkYXkgSSBub3RlZCB0aGF0IHRoaXMgaXMgbm90IGFuIGFjY3VyYXRlIHJlcHJlc2Vu dGF0aW9uIG9mIHRoZQ0KPj4+Pj4+PiB1bmNpdGVkIHNvdXJjZS9zIFZhbiBEcm9vZ2VuYnJvZWNr IHdhcyBldmlkZW50bHkgcmVseWluZyBvbiwgYXMgTGVvJ3MNCj4+Pj4+Pj4gYWxsZWdlZCBkaXNw ZW5zYXRpb24gd2FzIGdpdmVuIGZvciB0aGUgYmxvb2Qga2luc2hpcCBiZXR3ZWVuIEJhbGR3aW4g YW5kDQo+Pj4+Pj4+IFJpY2hpbGRlJ3MgcHJldmlvdXMgaHVzYmFuZCwgbm90IHdpdGggdGhlIGxh ZHkgaGVyc2VsZiwgYnV0IGl0IGlzIGFsc28NCj4+Pj4+Pj4gd29ydGggcG9pbnRpbmcgb3V0IHRo YXQgdGhlIDEwNTcgaW5mb3JtYXRpb24gaW1wbGljaXRseSB1bmRlcm1pbmVzIHRoZQ0KPj4+Pj4+ PiBhbHJlYWR5IHNoYWt5IGNyZWRpYmlsaXR5IG9mICdGbGFuZHJpYSBnZW5lcm9zYScgYWJvdXQg dGhpcy4NCj4+Pj4+Pj4NCj4+Pj4+Pj4gRmlyc3QsIGl0IG1pc25hbWVzIHRoZSBiaXNob3Agb2Yg Q2FtYnJhaSB3aG8gaGFkIHJlcG9ydGVkbHkNCj4+Pj4+Pj4gZXhjb21tdW5pY2F0ZWQgQmFsZHdp biBvdmVyIHRoZSBtYXJyaWFnZSBhcyBJbmdlbGJlcnQgKHRoZSBiaXNob3AgYXQgdGhlDQo+Pj4+ Pj4+IHRpbWUgd2FzIGFjdHVhbGx5IG5hbWVkIExpZXRiZXJ0KS4gU2Vjb25kbHksIGluIGNvbnRy YWRpY3Rpb24gdG8gVmFuDQo+Pj4+Pj4+IERyb29nZW5icm9lY2sncyBhc3NlcnRpb24gdGhlIChh cHBhcmVudGx5IGluZm9ybWFsKSBwYXBhbCBkaXNwZW5zYXRpb24NCj4+Pj4+Pj4gd2FzIHN1cHBv c2VkbHkgZ3JhbnRlZCBvbiBjb25kaXRpb24gdGhhdCB0aGUgY291cGxlIHNob3VsZCBsaXZlIHRv Z2V0aGVyDQo+Pj4+Pj4+IGluIGNoYXN0aXR5ICgiYWJzcXVlIGNhcm5hbGkgY29tbWl4dGlvbmUg bWFuZXJlbnQiKS4gSG93ZXZlciwgYnkgdGhlDQo+Pj4+Pj4+IHRpbWUgb2YgUG9wZSBWaWN0b3Ig SUkncyBpbnRlcnZlbnRpb24gb24gQmFsZHdpbidzIGJlaGFsZiBpbiAxMDU3IGhlIGhhZA0KPj4+ Pj4+PiBmYXRoZXJlZCB0d28gc29ucyB3aXRoIFJpY2hpbGRlLCB3aG8gd2VyZSBwcmVzdW1hYmx5 IG5vdCBib3JuIGZyb20NCj4+Pj4+Pj4gaW1tYWN1bGF0ZSBjb25jZXB0aW9uLiBQb3BlcyBpbiB0 aGUgMTF0aCBjZW50dXJ5IHdlcmUgb2YgY291cnNlIG5vdCBpbg0KPj4+Pj4+PiB0aGUgaGFiaXQg b2YgZmF2b3VyaW5nIG1pc2NyZWFudHMgd2hvIGhhZCBmbG91dGVkIHRoZSBjb25kaXRpb25zIG9m DQo+Pj4+Pj4+IHRoZWlyIG93biByZWxlYXNlIGJ5IGEgcHJlZGVjZXNzb3IgZnJvbSBleGNvbW11 bmljYXRpb24uDQo+Pj4+Pj4gT0ssIHRoYXQncyBjbGVhciwgdGhhbmtzLg0KPj4+Pj4+DQo+Pj4+ Pj4gVGhpcyBsZWF2ZXMgb25lIHF1ZXN0aW9uIGZvciBtZSwgYW5kIHRoYXQncyBhYm91dCBoZXIg cGF0ZXJuYWwgZGVzY2VudC4NCj4+Pj4+PiBBYm91dCB0aGF0LCB0aGUgYXV0aG9yIHdyb3RlIHRo YXQgc2hlJ3Mgbm90IGEgZGF1Z2h0ZXIgb2YgUmVpbmllciBWIHZhbg0KPj4+Pj4+IEJlcmdlbiwg YXMgc2hlIGFwcGVhcnMgaW4gbWFueSBHRURDT00gZmlsZXMgdGhhdCBJIGZvdW5kLCBidXQgcmF0 aGVyIGENCj4+Pj4+PiBncmFuZGRhdWdodGVyIG9mIFJlaW5pZXIgTGFuZ2hhbHMsIGEuay5hLiBS ZWluaWVyIHZhbiBMZXV2ZW4sIGFzIGhlIGlzDQo+Pj4+Pj4gbmFtZWQgaW4gZm9vdG5vdGUgNzIu DQo+Pj4+Pj4NCj4+Pj4+PiBIZSBkZWZlbmRzIHRoaXMgcG9zaXRpb24gYnkgY2xhaW1pbmcgdGhh dCBIYXNub24gc2hvdWxkIG5vdCBiZSBtaXhlZCB1cA0KPj4+Pj4+IHdpdGggSGFpbmF1dCwgYW5k IHRoYXQgc291bmRzIHF1aXRlIHJlYXNvbmFibGUgdG8gbWUuDQo+Pj4+Pj4NCj4+Pj4+PiBXaGF0 J3MgeW91ciBvcGluaW9uIG9uIHRoYXQ/DQo+Pj4+Pg0KPj4+Pj4gVGhpcyByZWFsbHkgaW50ZXJt aW5nbGVzIHR3byBkaXN0aW5jdCBpc3N1ZXMuIE1hbnkgdHJhZGl0aW9uYWwgcGVkaWdyZWVzIHNo b3dlZCBoZXIgYXMgZGF1Z2h0ZXIgb2YgUmVpbmllciBWLiBUaGlzIGFyb3NlIGZyb20gdGhlIHBh c3NhZ2Ugb2YgSGFpbmF1dCBmcm9tIEhlcm1hbiwgUmVpbmllciBWJ3Mgc29uLCB0byBCYWxkd2lu IFZJIGFuZCBSaWNoaWxkZSwgd2hvIHdlcmUgb2YgdGhlIHNhbWUgZ2VuZXJhdGlvbiwgYW5kIHRo dXMgUmljaGlsZGUgd2FzIHBvcnRyYXllZCBhcyBzaXN0ZXIgb2YgSGVybWFuIGFuZCBkYXVnaHRl ciBvZiBSZWluaWVyIFYuIFRoaXMgaGFzIGxvbmcgYmVlbiBrbm93biB0byBiZSBmYWxzZSwgYXMg c2hlIHdhcyB3aWRvdyBvZiBIZXJtYW4sIG5vdCBoaXMgc2lzdGVyLCB3aXRoIGhlciBwYXJlbnRh Z2UgdW5rbm93bi4NCj4+Pj4+DQo+Pj4+PiBUaGUgbm92ZWwgdGhlb3J5IGFzc2lnbnMgaGVyIG5l dyBwYXJlbnRhZ2UsIHdpdGggaGVyIGZhdGhlciwgc29sZWx5IGJ5IGNvaW5jaWRlbmNlLCBiZWlu ZyBhIG1hbiBhbHNvIG5hbWVkIFJlaW5pZXIgKGxvcmQgb2YgSGFzbm9uKS4gV2hldGhlciB0aGlz IHJlbGF0aW9uc2hpcCBpcyB0cnVlIG9yIG5vdCwgUmVpbmllciBWIGlzIG5vdCBhbiBvcHRpb24u IEkgc3VzcGVjdCBoZSBzYWlkIHRoZSBsaW5lIGFib3V0IEhhc25vbiBtaXhlZCB1cCB3aXRoIEhh aW5hdXQsIG5vdCBhcyBhIGRlZmVuc2Ugb2YgaGlzIHBvc2l0aW9uLCBwZXIgc2UsIGJ1dCBqdXN0 IHRvIGhlYWQgb2ZmIHBvc3NpYmxlIGNvbmZ1c2lvbiBiZXR3ZWVuIGhpcyByZWNlbnQgY29uY2x1 c2lvbiBhbmQgdGhlIG9sZCBhbmQga25vd24gdG8gYmUgZmFsc2UgSGFpbmF1dCBwYXRlcm5pdHks IGxlc3QgYW55b25lIGxvb2tpbmcgYXQgaXQgc3VwZXJmaWNpYWxseSBhbmQgc2VlaW5nIHRoZSBu YW1lICdSZWluaWVyJyBtaWdodCB0aGluayBoZSB3YXMgcmV3YXJtaW5nIHRoZSBvbGQgY2hlc3Ru dXQgcmF0aGVyIHRoYW4gcHJlc2VudGluZyBhIG5vdmVsIHRoZW9yeS4NCj4+Pj4gVmFuIERyb29n ZW5icm9lY2sgd2FzIGFyZ3VpbmcgdGhhdCBhIHByb2JsZW1hdGljIGNoYXJ0ZXIgZnJvbSBIb21i bGnDqHJlcw0KPj4+PiBpbiB3aGljaCBhIFJlaW5pZXIgb2NjdXJzIGFzIGNvdW50IChub3QgbG9y ZCkgb2YgSGFzbm9uIHdhcyBub3QNCj4+Pj4gcmVmZXJyaW5nIHRvIGEgY291bnQgb2YgSGFpbmF1 dCBhcyB1c3VhbGx5IGFzc2Vzc2VkLCBiZWNhdXNlIGhlIHRob3VnaHQNCj4+Pj4gKHAuIDY4KSB0 aGF0IGlmIEhhaW5hdXQgaGFkIGJlZW4gbWVhbnQgaGUgd291bGQgdGhlbiBoYXZlIGJlZW4NCj4+ Pj4gZGVzaWduYXRlZCBlaXRoZXIgIk1vbnRlbnNpcyIgb3IgIkNhc3RyaWxvY2kiIHJhdGhlciB0 aGFuDQo+Pj4+ICJIYXNub25uZW5zaXMiLiBIb3dldmVyLCB0aGUgY2hhcnRlciB3YXMgcHJvYmFi bHkgd3JpdHRlbiBpbiB0aGUgMTA4MHMNCj4+Pj4gYnkgd2hlbiB0aGUgbW9ua3Mgb2YgSG9tYmxp w6hyZXMgbWF5IGhhdmUgbWlzdGFrZW4gdGhlIG5hbWUgb2YgdGhlIGNvdW50DQo+Pj4+IHNvbWUg NDAgeWVhcnMgZWFybGllciByYXRoZXIgdGhhbiBoaXMgdGVycml0b3JpYWwganVyaXNkaWN0aW9u LCBpbiB3aGljaA0KPj4+PiBjYXNlIEhlcm1hbiB3b3VsZCBiZSBjb3JyZWN0IGluc3RlYWQgb2Yg UmVpbmllci4NCj4+Pj4NCj4+Pj4gSW4gYW55IGV2ZW50LCB0aGVyZSBpcyBpbnN1ZmZpY2llbnQg YmFzaXMgaW4gdGhpcyBvbmUgb2NjdXJyZW5jZSB0bw0KPj4+PiBhc3N1bWUgdGhlcmUgd2FzIGFu eSBsb3JkIG9yIGNvdW50IG9mIEhhc25vbiBkaXN0aW5jdCBmcm9tIHRoZSBjb3VudCBvZg0KPj4+ PiBIYWluYXV0LiBJbiB0aGUgMTF0aCBjZW50dXJ5IGNvbWl0YWwgY291cnRzIHdlcmUgcGVyaXBh dGV0aWMsIGFuZCBjb3VudHMNCj4+Pj4gd2VyZSBmcmVxdWVudGx5IGRlc2lnbmF0ZWQgYnkgdGhl aXIgcGxhY2Ugb2YgcmVzaWRlbmNlIHdpdGhpbiB0aGVpcg0KPj4+PiB0ZXJyaXRvcmlhbCBzcGhl cmUgYXQgZGlmZmVyZW50IHRpbWVzIChlLmcuIE90dG8gb2YgV2VpbWFyIG9yIE9ybGFtw7xuZGUp Lg0KPj4+Pg0KPj4+PiBUaGUgbWF0dGVyIGF0IGlzc3VlIGluIHRoZSBIb21ibGnDqHJlcyBjaGFy dGVyIGNvbmNlcm5zIGFuIGFsbG9kDQo+Pj4+IGFwcGFyZW50bHkgb24gdGhlIFNhbWJyZSwgbm90 IG5lYXIgZW5vdWdoIHRvIEhhc25vbiBmb3IgdGhlbSB0byBhcHBlYWwNCj4+Pj4gdG8gYW55b25l IHdob3NlIGF1dGhvcml0eSBkaWQgbm90IGV4dGVuZCBmYXIgZnJvbSB0aGVyZS4NCj4+Pj4gUGV0 ZXIgU3Rld2FydA0KPj4+DQo+Pj4gSSBjZXJ0YWlubHkgYWdyZWUgdGhhdCBpbiB0aGlzIHBlcmlv ZCBhbmQgcmVnaW9uIHRoZSB0ZXJtIGNvdW50eSBkaWQgbm90IGltcGx5IGFueSBraW5kIG9mIGxv Z2ljYWwsIGNvbnRpZ3VvdXMsIGdlb2dyYXBoaWNhbCB1bml0LiBUaGF0IGlzIHNvbWV0aGluZyBJ IGhhdmUgc3BlbnQgYSBsaXR0bGUgdGltZSBvbiwgYWx0aG91Z2ggbG9va2luZyBtb3JlIGNvbmNl cm5pbmcgb3RoZXIgZXhhbXBsZXMuIEFzIHlvdSBrbm93LCBjb21pdGF0dXMgaW4gdGhpcyBwZXJp b2QgYW5kIHJlZ2lvbiBtYWlubHkgcmVmZXJyZWQgdG8ganVyaXNkaWN0aW9ucywgYW5kIGlmIGxh bmRzIHdlcmUgYmVpbmcgcmVmZXJyZWQgdG8sIHRoZW4gdGhlIGxhbmRzIHdlcmUgcHJvYmFibHkg Y29ubmVjdGVkIHRvIHRoZSBvZmZpY2UgaW52b2x2ZWQuIEZvciBleGFtcGxlIGEgY2FzdGFsbGFu eSwgb3IgYWR2b2NhY3ksIHdvdWxkIGludm9sdmUgdGhlIGhvbGRpbmcgb2YgbGFuZHMgd2hpY2gg c3VwcGxpZWQgYW4gaW5jb21lIHRvIHRoZSBvZmZpY2UtaG9sZGVyLiBUaGUgdGVybSAicGFndXMi ICh3aGljaCB3YXMgdGVycml0b3JpYWwpIHdhcyB2ZXJ5IGNsZWFybHkgZGlzdGluZ3Vpc2hlZCBm cm9tICJjb21pdGF0dXMiLiBJIHRoaW5rIGl0IGFsc28gZ2V0cyBjb25mdXNpbmcgYmVjYXVzZSB0 aGUgd29yZHMgY291bnQgYW5kIGNvdW50eSBkbyBub3QgYWx3YXlzIGxpbmUgdXAgd2VsbC4gSXQg YXBwZWFycyB0aGVyZSBjb3VsZCBiZSBjb3VudHMgd2l0aG91dCBjb3VudGllcywgcGFydGx5IGJl Y2F1c2UgdGhlIHdvcmQgY291bnQgYWxzbyBpbXBsaWVkIGEgY2VydGFpbiBsZXZlbCBvZiBub2Js ZSBzdGF0dXMuIFRoZSB0ZXJtaW5vbG9neSB3YXMgbm90IHN0YW5kYXJkaXplZCBvciBlYXN5IHRv IGludGVycHJldC4gSSBkb24ndCB0aGluayB0aGVyZSB3YXMgYW55IGNsZWFyIGxpbmUgc3RvcHBp bmcgYSBjYXN0ZWxsYW4gb2NjYXNpb25hbGx5IGdldHRpbmcgY2FsbGVkIGEgY291bnQsIGVzcGVj aWFsbHkgaWYgdGhleSB3ZXJlIHdlYWx0aHksIHdlbGwtY29ubmVjdGVkIGFuZCBoZWxkIGEgZmV3 IHN1Y2ggb2ZmaWNlcy4NCj4+IEkgb3Zlcmxvb2tlZCB0aGlzIGJlZm9yZSAtIEknbSBub3Qgc3Vy ZSB3aGF0IHlvdSBjYW4gbWVhbiBieSAiY291bnRzDQo+PiB3aXRob3V0IGNvdW50aWVzIiB1bmxl c3MgdGhpcyByZWZlcnMgdG8gc29tZW9uZSBhY2NvcmRlZCB0aGUgdGl0bGUgImFkDQo+PiBwZXJz b25hbSIuIFdobyBpbiBwYXJ0aWN1bGFyIGFyZSB5b3UgdGhpbmtpbmcgb2Y/DQo+Pg0KPj4gQXMg Zm9yIGNhc3RlbGxhbnMgb2NjYXNpb25hbGx5IGdldHRpbmcgY2FsbGVkIGNvdW50LCBhZ2FpbiB3 aG8gaW4NCj4+IHBhcnRpY3VsYXIgZGlkIHRoaXMgaGFwcGVuIHdpdGggaW4gMTF0aC1jZW50dXJ5 IEZyYW5jZSBvciBHZXJtYW55PyBUaGVyZQ0KPj4gd2VyZSBjZXJ0YWlubHkgc29tZSBjb3VudHNo aXBzIHRoYXQgYXBwZWFyZWQgaW4gbm9ydGgtZWFzdGVybiBGcmFuY2lhDQo+PiBkdXJpbmcgdGhl IGRlY2F5IG9mIENhcm9saW5naWFuIGF1dGhvcml0eSBhbmQgdGhlIHVuY2VydGFpbnR5IG9mIGVh cmx5DQo+PiBDYXBldGlhbiBydWxlLiBUaGVyZSB3ZXJlIGFsc28gc29tZSBtaW5vciBjb3VudHNo aXBzIHRoYXQgaGVsZCBhIHN0YXR1cw0KPj4gYmFybGV5IGFib3ZlIHRoYXQgb2YgdmlzY291bnRj aWVzLCBhcyBjbGllbnRzIG9mIG1ham9yIGNvdW50cyBpbiB0aGUNCj4+IHJlZ2lvbiAoZS5nLiBT YWludC1Qb2wgdG8gQm91bG9nbmUpIG9yIGFzIHVwc3RhcnRzIHRoYXQgd2VyZSBwcm9uZSB0byBi ZQ0KPj4gdGFrZW4gb3ZlciAoZS5nLiBDYW1icmFpIGJ5IEZsYW5kZXJzKS4NCj4+IFBldGVyIFN0 ZXdhcnQNCj4gDQo+IEp1c3Qgb24gdGhlIGNvdW50cyB3aXRob3V0IGNvdW50aWVzIHRvcGljOg0K PiBNYW55IHJlYWRlcnMgb2YgdGhpcyBsaXN0IHdpbGwgYmUgZmFtaWxpYXIgd2l0aCB0aGUgQnJl dG9uIGNvdW50cyB3aG8gY2FtZSB0byBFbmdsYW5kIGFmdGVyIDEwNjYuDQoNCkl0IHdvdWxkIGJl IGhlbHBmdWwgdG8gcHJvdmlkZSBzcGVjaWZpY3Mgd2hlbiBtYWtpbmcgc3VjaCBhc3NlcnRpb25z IC0gDQpkbyB5b3UgbWVhbiB0aGVzZSBtZW4gKGFzc3VtaW5nIHlvdSBoYXZlIGluIG1pbmQgQnJp YW4gb2YgQ29ybndhbGwgYW5kIA0KQWxhbiBSdWZ1cyBvZiBSaWNobW9uZCkgd2VyZSB0aXRsZWQg Y291bnQgaW4gY29udGVtcG9yYXJ5IGRvY3VtZW50cyBvciANCmxhdGVyPw0KDQo+IEJ1dCBhY3R1 YWxseSBJIGhhdmUgZXhhbXBsZXMgaW4gbWluZCBmcm9tIHRoZSBCZWxnaWFuIHJlZ2lvbi4gVmFu ZGVya2luZGVyZSBhbHJlYWR5IG5hbWVkIGEgZmV3IGZyb20gbXkgcmVnaW9uIChBYXJzY2hvdCwg RGllc3QsIGV0YykgYmFjayBhdCB0aGUgZW5kIG9mIHRoZSAxOXRoIGNlbnR1cnksIGFuZCB3cm90 ZSB0aGF0IGEgY29taXRhdHVzIGNvdWxkIGV2aWRlbnRseSBzb21ldGltZXMgc2ltcGx5IGJlIGEg anVyaXNkaWN0aW9uLiBBZnRlciBsb29raW5nIGludG8gbW9yZSBjYXNlcyBhbmQgZGlzY3Vzc2lu ZyBpdCB3aXRoIHNwZWNpYWxpc3RzIGl0IGlzIGNsZWFyIHRoYXQgVmFuZGVya2luZGVyZSB1bmRl ci1yYXRlZCB0aGlzIHBvdGVudGlhbCBzb3VyY2Ugb2YgY29uZnVzaW9uLiBFeGFtcGxlcyB3aGlj aCBoYXZlIGJlZW4gZGlzY3Vzc2VkIGluIHByaW50IGJ5IE1pY2hlbCBNYXJndWUgaW5jbHVkZSBE dXJidXkgYW5kIExhIFJvY2hlIGluIHRoZSBBcmRlbm5lcy4NCg0KQnV0IHRoZXNlIHdlcmUgbm90 IG9jY2FzaW9uYWwgY291bnRzaGlwcyAtIG9uY2UgYXBwZWFyaW5nIHRoZXkgcmVtYWluZWQgDQph bmQgd2VyZSBpbmhlcml0ZWQuIFRoZXkgd2VyZSBtb3JlIGxpa2Ugc3Vic2lkaWFyeSBqdXJpc2Rp Y3Rpb25zIG1hZGUgDQppbnRvIHNlbWktaW5kZXBlbmRlbnQgY291bnRzaGlwcyBmb3IgY2FkZXQg bGluZXMuDQoNCiA+ICBUaGUgZXhhbXBsZSBJIGhhdmUgbG9va2VkIGF0IHRoZSBtb3N0IGlzIHRo ZSBjb3VudHkgb2YgRHVyYXMgd2hpY2ggSSANCiA+IGJlbGlldmUgaGFkIG5vIHNpbXBsZSBnZW9n cmFwaGljYWwgZGVmaW5pdGlvbiBhdCBhbGwuIFRoZSBmb3VuZGVyIG9mDQogPiB0aGF0IGZhbWls eSB3YXMga25vd24gaW4gaGlzIG93biBsaWZldGltZSBhcyBDb3VudCBPdHRvIG9mIExvb24sIGJ1 dA0KID4gaGUgd2FzIGV2aWRlbnRseSB0aGUgeW91bmdlciBicm90aGVyIG9mIHRoZSBhY3R1YWwg Y291bnQgb2YgTG9vbg0KID4gKEVtbW8pLiBEdXJhcyB3YXMgYSBzbWFsbCBmb3J0LiBPdHRvJ3Mg ZGVzY2VuZGFudHMgYXBwYXJlbnRseSBoZWxkIGl0IA0KID4gZm9yIHRoZSBQcmluY2ViaXNob3Bz IGFzIGEgZGVmZW5jZSBhZ2FpbnN0IHRoZSBjb3VudHMgb2YgTGV1dmVuIHRvDQogPiB0aGVpciB3 ZXN0Lg0KDQpUaGlzIGlzIGFub3RoZXIgZXhhbXBsZSBvZiBhIGNvdW50c2hpcCB0aGF0IHdhcyBu b3Qgb2NjYXNpb25hbCwgc2luY2UgDQphZnRlciBPdHRvIGl0IHdhcyBpbmhlcml0ZWQgYnkgaGlz IGRlc2NlbmRhbnRzDQoNCj4gRXZlbiB0aGUgc3RhdHVzIGFuZCBnZW9ncmFwaHkgb2YgdGhlIGVh cmx5IGNvdW50eSBvZiBMb29uL0xvb3ogaXRzZWxmIGlzIGFuIGVudGl0eSB3aGljaCBpcyBzdXJw cmlzaW5nbHkgZGlmZmljdWx0IHRvIHBpbiBkb3duLiBUaGlzIGJlY29tZXMgY2xlYXIgd2hlbiB5 b3UgdHJ5IHRvIHJlYWQgdGhlIHNwZWN1bGF0aXZlIGRlYmF0ZXMgYWJvdXQgaG93IGl0IGJlY2Ft ZSBhIHZhc3NhbCBvZiB0aGUgUHJpbmNlYmlzaG9wIG9mIExpw6hnZS4gVGhlIGNvdW50aWVzIHdl IGtub3cgZnJvbSBsYXRlciBjZW50dXJpZXMgb2Z0ZW4gc2VlbSB0byBoYXZlIGJlZW4gYnVpbHQg cGFydGx5IHVwb24gYmx1ZmYgYW5kIGJsdXN0ZXIgYW5kIGdvb2QgbHVjay4gSSBzdXBwb3NlIHRo YXQgYXMgd2l0aCBtYW55IHRoaW5ncyBmZXVkYWwsIEFuZ2xvLVNheG9uIHJlYWRlcnMgbGlrZSBt eXNlbGYgYXJlIHNvbWV0aW1lcyBtaXNsZWQgYmVjYXVzZSBvZiB3aGF0IHdlJ3ZlIGxlYXJuZWQg YWJvdXQgcG9zdC0xMDY2IEVuZ2xhbmQsIHdoZXJlIHRoaW5ncyB3ZXJlIGluIG1hbnkgd2F5cyBt dWNoIG1vcmUgbmVhdCBhbmQgdGlkeSB0aGFuIHRoZXkgd2VyZSBpbiB0aGUgZW1waXJlLg0KDQpP bmUgZGlmZmVyZW5jZSBpcyB0aGF0IEVuZ2xhbmQgZGlkIG5vdCBoYXZlIGJpc2hvcHMgd2hvc2Ug ZGlvY2VzYW4gDQphZHZvY2F0ZXMgY291bGQgdHJ5IGNhbGxpbmcgdGhlbXNlbHZlcyBjb3VudCAo b3IgZWFybCksIGFzIGhhcHBlbmVkIGluIA0KVXRyZWNodCBhbmQgZWxzZXdoZXJlLg0KDQpJIHRo b3VnaHQgeW91IHByb2JhYmx5IGhhZCBpbiBtaW5kIHNvbWUgc2VpZ25ldXJpZXMgd2hvc2UgbG9y ZHMgY2FsbGVkIA0KdGhlbXNlbHZlcyBjb3VudCBvbiBvY2Nhc2lvbiBidXQgZmFpbGVkIHRvIHN0 aWNrIHRoZSBsYW5kaW5nIG9uIHRoZWlyIA0KcHJldGVuZGVkIGNvbWl0YWwgc3RhdHVzIGFzIGhl cmVkaXRhcnkuDQoNClRoZXJlIHdlcmUgYWxzbyBvdGhlciBjYXNlcyBvZiB0aGUgdGl0bGUgY291 bnQgZ2V0dGluZyBvY2Nhc2lvbmFsbHkgDQp0cmFuc2ZlcnJlZCB0byBub24tY29taXRhbCBsb3Jk c2hpcHMgKGFzIGV2aWRlbnRseSB3aXRoIEhhc25vbiksIHN1Y2ggYXMgDQp3aXRoIFJhbWVydXB0 IGFuZCBCdWxsZXMuDQoNClBldGVyIFN0ZXdhcnQNCg0KDQoNCi0tIA0KVGhpcyBlbWFpbCBoYXMg YmVlbiBjaGVja2VkIGZvciB2aXJ1c2VzIGJ5IEFWRyBhbnRpdmlydXMgc29mdHdhcmUuDQp3d3cu YXZnLmNvbQ==

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to lancast...@gmail.com on Sat Mar 4 09:23:51 2023
    On 04-Mar-23 5:51 AM, lancast...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Friday, March 3, 2023 at 4:09:00 PM UTC+1, Enno Borgsteede wrote:
    That Richilde (more probably) or her first husband Herman of Hainaut had >>> some hereditary claim to Valenciennes that allowed them buy off rival
    claimaints is stated by Gislebert of Mons, immediately after stating
    quam coemptione facta cum quibusdam nobilibus qui in hereditate illa
    reclamabant").

Well who was previous count of Valenciennes then? I think this is an important point for interpreting this thesis we are discussing.

We do not have definite information about this - Arnulf of Cambrai had
    been count (or marquis) of Valenciennes from 973 until displaced by
    Balduin IV of Flanders in 1006, but Balduin had to wait until after
    Arnulf's death in 1012 to be recognised as ruler in Valenciennes by
    Heinrich II as German king. Then castellans apparently related to Arnulf
    held it from the mid-11th to the mid-12th century - Hugo, Isaac, and the latter's daughter Emmissa who was called "countess".

Arnulf's sister was married to Amaury whom Jan Dhondt considered to have
    been count of Valenciennes before July 964 until 973. Presumably
    Richilde was descended from Arnulf or perhaps Amaury, since the
    hereditary right mentioned by Gislebert of Mons cannot plausibly be
    traced back to Balduin IV of Flanders.

Peter Stewart

--
    www.avg.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to Enno Borgsteede on Sat Mar 4 09:25:43 2023
    On 04-Mar-23 2:08 AM, Enno Borgsteede wrote:

That Richilde (more probably) or her first husband Herman of Hainaut
    had some hereditary claim to Valenciennes that allowed them buy off
    rival claimaints is stated by Gislebert of Mons, immediately after
    stating that the former count there has died without a direct heir
    ("defuncto comite Valencenensi absque proprii corporis herede tam jure
    hereditario quam coemptione facta cum quibusdam nobilibus qui in
    hereditate illa reclamabant").

Yes, but it is not verifiable and the possibility of a more distant relationship also fits with the little we are told.

Peter Stewart

--
    www.avg.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to Peter Stewart on Sat Mar 4 16:32:13 2023
    On 04-Mar-23 9:25 AM, Peter Stewart wrote:
    On 04-Mar-23 2:08 AM, Enno Borgsteede wrote:

That Richilde (more probably) or her first husband Herman of Hainaut
    had some hereditary claim to Valenciennes that allowed them buy off
    rival claimaints is stated by Gislebert of Mons, immediately after
    stating that the former count there has died without a direct heir
    ("defuncto comite Valencenensi absque proprii corporis herede tam
    jure hereditario quam coemptione facta cum quibusdam nobilibus qui in
    hereditate illa reclamabant").

Yes, but it is not verifiable and the possibility of a more distant relationship also fits with the little we are told.

By the way, Van Droogenbroeck argued (pp. 53-54) that the anti-imperuial
    pact between Herman of Hainaut and Balduin V of Flanders took place
    between April 1044 and July 1045 at the latest, instead of in 1147 as
    usually assigned, suggesting that Anselm of Liège from whom we know
    about this had gotten ahead of himself in narrating it.

Anselm was writing by 1056, and according to his account Richilde
    betrayed her husband by trying to get the bishop of Liège to capture
    Herman and hand him over to the emperor ("ut imperatori tradat"). Anselm
    in the 1050s might be supposed to have remembered that Heinrich III did
    not become emperor until Christmas day in 1046, so that a dating to 1047
    is implicitly more plausible on that basis.

The attempt by Richilde to interfere with her husband's political
    activity suggests that she may have been working in the imperial
    interest from some hereditary position of her own, as most comital wives
    of that time would not have had the resources or daring to get involved
    in such a way.

According to the Anchin continuation of Sigebert of Gembloux's
    Chronographia, in a section written in 1201 perhaps by André du Bois,
    later prior of Marchiennes, Richilde is described as having imperial
    blood and as having been a sister of Pope Leo IX (not his niece as in
    'Flandria generosa', written around 35 years earlier, and maybe drawing
    from a different source). Leo was thought by Vanderkindere to have been
    a cousin of Emperor Conrad II through the latter's mother, but the
    rationale for this does not hold up to scrutiny. However, Richilde's
    effort to help Conrad II's son Heinrich III at the expense of throwing
    over her own husband may have been due to a family relationship.

Peter Stewart

--
    www.avg.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From lancaster.boon@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Mar 4 00:56:56 2023
    "[Duras] is another example of a countship that was not occasional, since after Otto it was inherited by his descendants"

Well the details are in any case unknown, despite what Mantelius wrote. Otto was called a count of Loon but his descendants did not inherit Loon from him. There is also no evidence that they inherited Duras from him as that fort was not mentioned until
    later generations. There are no contemporary records of anything called a "county of Duras", and there are I think only two mentions of any "county" at all being held by any of the later generations. I have much more detailed explanations. Maybe I should
    send to these to you for your comments.

"England did not have bishops whose diocesan advocates could try calling themselves count (or earl), as happened in Utrecht and elsewhere."

Yes, and there is a background to that. One aspect I find interesting is that by around 1000 many lands and titles in the German sphere or influence were under clerical control. The landed families were still there holding their allodial lands, and
    expecting to be given advocacies etc. But the system did not really work for either side, and indeed out of this mess we end up with the separation of church and state. Gradually the medieval systems of secular titles which we know from later centuries
    developed. Of course England there was a tabula rasa situation, and a lot more centralization. The king and his secular underlings, the barons, kept more control.

"I thought you probably had in mind some seigneuries whose lords called themselves count on occasion but failed to stick the landing on their pretended comital status as hereditary."

Yes, some failed to stick the landing. Good metaphor. I am not sure Duras would have "stuck the landing" if it had continued to exist, and did not end up being absorbed into Loon. (In Loon records from after the fusion only give references to Duras lands,
    but these are simply scattered among the Loon lands, and look like a private division of family lands. Despite what Jean Baerten claimed, there is no clear core territory.) I also don't know if we can describe Diest, Aarschot, Durbuy and La Roche as
    lordships which all stuck the landing. Some of them were later counties. But in the later middle ages there was all kinds of title inflation and so we even have Duchies of relatively small places. These did not necessarily evolve directly out of the 11th
    century claims.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Raf Ceustermans@21:1/5 to All on Sat Mar 4 02:03:00 2023
    As for the inheritance rights of Richilde to Valenciennes, it's worth remembering that Baldwin IV of Flanders had succeeded as count of Valenciennes after the death of Arnold of Cambrai. There are indications that later Baldwin V and count Herman, the
    husband of Richilde exchanged Valenciennes and Ename in a more or less fraudulent way. It's possible that Giselbert, who was writing to glorify the counts he worked for as chancellor, wanted to portray Richilde as legal heiress of Valenciennes to avoid
    putting his employers ancestors in a bad light. He doesn't mention anything about how Ename was lost either

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to Raf Ceustermans on Sun Mar 5 10:18:11 2023
    On 04-Mar-23 9:03 PM, Raf Ceustermans wrote:
    As for the inheritance rights of Richilde to Valenciennes, it's worth remembering that Baldwin IV of Flanders had succeeded as count of Valenciennes after the death of Arnold of Cambrai. There are indications that later Baldwin V and count Herman, the
    husband of Richilde exchanged Valenciennes and Ename in a more or less fraudulent way. It's possible that Giselbert, who was writing to glorify the counts he worked for as chancellor, wanted to portray Richilde as legal heiress of Valenciennes to avoid
    putting his employers ancestors in a bad light. He doesn't mention anything about how Ename was lost either

Balduin IV did not succeed to Valenciennes by hereditary right - he had
    taken it by conquest from Arnulf but then had to wait until after
    Arnulf's death to be enfeoffed there by the emperor.

As for Giselbert of Mons wanting "to portray Richilde as legal heiress",
    how does he do this? I mentioned before that his use of "coemptio"
    perhaps implied that the securing of some kind of birthright to
    Valenciennes by Herman and Richilde, effected through buying off rival claimaints, may have belonged to her rather than to him - but although plausible this is not certain and in any case not an explicit portrayal
    by Gislebert of Richilde's standing.

We can't be sure that Gislebert even knew of "coemptio" in Roman law as
    a form of marriage by fictitious purchase between the couple to avoid
    the bride's family duties. It had long been in use by medieval writers
    to mean any compulsory purchase, requisition or relief - for instance,
    in the Vita of Pope John V (end of the 7th century) "coemptio" was used
    for the fixed price of produce that the Church could barely afford which
    was the main cost of several annual charges waived by the emperor at
    John's request ("sed et coemptum frumenti vel alia diversa quae ecclesia
    Romana annue minime exurgebat persolvere"). Earlier in Gislebert's own
    century, and closer to home, Galbert had used the same word when the
    citizens of Bruges said that Louis VI had falsely sworn he was not due
    any relief or exchange price for the election of William Clito of
    Normandy as count of Flanders ("nullam coemptionem vel pretium").
    Galbert used it again in this sense, with no suggestion that it related
    in any way to a woman, to mean that William had been imposed as count
    through the king's power in return for payment ("per coemptionem ex
    regis potestate potestative comes effectus"). Ganshof discussed
    Galbert's use of the word in 'Coemptio gravissima mansionum', *Archivum latinitatis medii aevi" 17 (1942) 149-161.

Peter Stewart

--
    www.avg.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to Peter Stewart on Sat Mar 11 07:24:32 2023
    On 05-Mar-23 10:18 AM, Peter Stewart wrote:
    On 04-Mar-23 9:03 PM, Raf Ceustermans wrote:
    As for the inheritance rights of Richilde to Valenciennes, it's worth
    remembering that Baldwin IV of Flanders had succeeded as count of
    Valenciennes after the death of Arnold of Cambrai. There are
    indications that later Baldwin V and count Herman, the husband of
    Richilde exchanged Valenciennes and Ename in a more or less fraudulent
    way. It's possible that Giselbert, who was writing to glorify the
    counts he worked for as chancellor, wanted to portray Richilde as
    legal heiress of Valenciennes to avoid putting his employers ancestors
    in a bad light. He doesn't mention anything about how Ename was lost
    either

Balduin IV did not succeed to Valenciennes by hereditary right - he had
    taken it by conquest from Arnulf but then had to wait until after
    Arnulf's death to be enfeoffed there by the emperor.

As for Giselbert of Mons wanting "to portray Richilde as legal heiress",
    how does he do this? I mentioned before that his use of "coemptio"
    perhaps implied that the securing of some kind of birthright to
    Valenciennes by Herman and Richilde, effected through buying off rival claimaints, may have belonged to her rather than to him - but although plausible this is not certain and in any case not an explicit portrayal
    by Gislebert of Richilde's standing.

We can't be sure that Gislebert even knew of "coemptio" in Roman law as
    a form of marriage by fictitious purchase between the couple to avoid
    the bride's family duties. It had long been in use by medieval writers
    to mean any compulsory purchase, requisition or relief - for instance,
    in the Vita of Pope John V (end of the 7th century) "coemptio" was used
    for the fixed price of produce that the Church could barely afford which
    was the main cost of several annual charges waived by the emperor at
    John's request ("sed et coemptum frumenti vel alia diversa quae ecclesia Romana annue minime exurgebat persolvere"). Earlier in Gislebert's own century, and closer to home, Galbert had used the same word when the
    citizens of Bruges said that Louis VI had falsely sworn he was not due
    any relief or exchange price for the election of William Clito of
    Normandy as count of Flanders ("nullam coemptionem vel pretium").
    Galbert used it again in this sense, with no suggestion that it related
    in any way to a woman, to mean that William had been imposed as count
    through the king's power in return for payment ("per coemptionem ex
    regis potestate potestative comes effectus"). Ganshof discussed
    Galbert's use of the word in 'Coemptio gravissima mansionum', *Archivum latinitatis medii aevi" 17 (1942) 149-161.

It could be argued that Gislebert came closer to implying Richilde was
    legal heiress of Valenciennes (though I don't think it sustainable as a "portrayal") when he wrote that "they [she and Herman] added
    Valenciennes" to the honor of Hainaut. A count's wife would not usually
    receive this level of billing in a late-12th-century narrative.

There is circumstantial evidence that Richilde behaved as virtual ruler
    of Hainaut and Valenciennes in the lifetime of her first husband,
    Herman. This was perhaps due to their respective personal character
    rather than to legal standing - she may have been simply the more
    masterful of the couple.

One possible partial explanation of her position consistent with the
    little evidence we have, which surprisingly (as far as I know) has not
    been put forward before - and which I emphasise is _not_ my own opinion
    by a long stretch - is that Richilde may have been Herman's step-sister, daughter by a prior husband of a second wife of his father Reginar V, a
    lady named Hathuidis who was a potential heiress to Valenciennes.

Herman's mother was named as Mathilde by Jacques de Mayere in 1538, but
    this does not appear in any extant earlier source. In the 1070s Sigebert
    of Gembloux wrote that Herman's father Reginar had donated to his abbey
    with his wife Hathuidis. In 1936 André Boutemy assumed that Hathuidis
    was the correct name for Reginar's only wife, mother of Richilde's
    husband Herman, but there is no compelling reason why Mathilde could not
    have been the name of Herman's mother and Hathuidis a second wife of his father, possibly the mother of Richilde.

Galbert of Bruges wrote that after the death of Richilde's second
    husband Balduin VI of Flanders their son Arnulf stayed in his paternal
    land around Cassel and Saint-Omer while his mother returned to Hainaut
    and the environs of a mother ("Igitur cum Balduinus vir Richildis in
    Brugis obiisset, filius ejus Arnoldus, cui patria pertinebat, cum mater
    versus Montes et viciniam matris rediit, circa Casletum et Sanctum
    Audomarum et illas partes conversabatur"). This text has usually been considered problematic if not corrupt, but understood to mean that
    Richilde returned to Mons and the environs of _her_ mother. These
    environs presumably included Valenciennes, and if considered the
    territory of Richilde's mother it may have been through her that the
    hereditary right to Valenciennes was claimed. I think it more likely
    that Galbert meant "vicinia matris" only in contrast to "patria", i.e.
    the environs of Arnulf's mother as opposed to the lands of his father -
    and possibly he actually wrote "vicinia materna" with 'er' represented
    by the conventional horizontal mark that was too small or faint for a
    copyist to notice and 'na' misread as 'rıs' ( the letter 'i' was not
    normally dotted in his time). However, if following the translation
    given most recently by Jeff Rider and by others before him, the mother
    in question was Richilde's rather than Arnulf's.

In a different thread I will set out some chronological, relationship
    and onomastic markers for seeking the elusive origin of Richilde, that
    is among the most intriguing and intractable mysteries in medieval
    genealogy.

Peter Stewart

--
    www.avg.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From taf@21:1/5 to Peter Stewart on Fri Mar 10 13:01:09 2023
    On Friday, March 10, 2023 at 12:24:36 PM UTC-8, Peter Stewart wrote:

is among the most intriguing and intractable mysteries in medieval genealogy.

Indeed. A few years back Paulo asked what some of the 'big unanswered questions' in medieval genealogy were, and Richilde definitly should have been included in that list.

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From lancaster.boon@gmail.com@21:1/5 to taf on Sun Mar 12 11:51:33 2023
    On Friday, March 10, 2023 at 10:01:10 PM UTC+1, taf wrote:
    On Friday, March 10, 2023 at 12:24:36 PM UTC-8, Peter Stewart wrote:

is among the most intriguing and intractable mysteries in medieval genealogy.
    Indeed. A few years back Paulo asked what some of the 'big unanswered questions' in medieval genealogy were, and Richilde definitly should have been included in that list.

taf

thanks Peter. Very interesting

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05