• Re: Stoke by Clare Cartulary - assistance please

From christopher revel-homfray@21:1/5 to Peter G. M. Dale on Sat Feb 18 06:37:44 2023
    On Friday, 9 April 2021 at 17:47:30 UTC+1, Peter G. M. Dale wrote:
    On Friday, April 9, 2021 at 6:17:19 AM UTC-4, pss...@optusnet.com.au wrote:
    On 09-Apr-21 4:51 PM, Peter G. M. Dale wrote:
    Greetings,

I would be grateful if someone would please provide me with a copy of charter no. 329 from the Stoke by Clare Cartulary: BL Cotton Appx. Xxi, Part 2, (1982), edited by Christopher Harper-Bill and Richard Mortimer. I cannot find a copy of that
    particular charter online and have no access to libraries currently given the pandemic restrictions. I understand that it references Stephen de Camoys and it is the Camoys family that is of interest to me. Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

This is on p 227:

"329. Grant by Stephen de Camais to the monks in free alms of
    Toppesfield church, for the souls of Robert son of Humphrey his father
    and others. Late twelfth century.
    ccllii. Carta Stephani de Cameis de eadem.
    Omnibus sancte matris ecclesie ecclesie filiis et fidelibus Stephanus de Camais salutem. Noverit universitas vestra me dedisse et hac mea
    presenti carta confirmasse Deo et Sancto Iohanni Baptiste de Stoket monachis ibidem Deo servientibus ecclesiam de Topisfeld cum omnibus pertinenciis et libertatibus suis, quas habet in terris et decimis et omnibus aliis rebus et obvencionibus liberam inperpetuam et puram elemosinam sicut aliqua elemosina liberior esse potest pro anima Roberti filii Hunfridi patris mei et pro salute anime mee et uxoris mee, et heredum et omnium antecessorum meorum. Huic donacionis testes sunt Hunfridus filius Walteri et alii."

Peter Stewart
    Many thanks Peter! Much appreciated. A brief follow-up if you're amenable. I'd also like to see a copy of charters nos. 326 and 330. Unfortunately I didn't know of these when I posted yesterday. In addition, I'm curious if there are any other charters
    referencing either Stephen de Camoys or his father Robert fitz Humphrey in the Stoke cartulary. I'm attempting to establish the ancestry of Stephen de Camoys (d c 1198), purported husband of Maud de la Leigh. Apparently he's related to Mabel de Bec
    somehow via his father Robert fitz Humphrey. In what manner, I have no idea currently.

If the ask above is a burdensome task based on what's available, please pass. However, if it is not too onerous, I'd be grateful, and provide you with an IOU from me if there are any resources you require in Toronto (i.e. University of Toronto's
    Robarts Library or Pontifical Institute of Medieval Studies) when available!

Cheers,

Pete
    Hello Peter Perhaps I may be able to help you with the Fitz Humphrey/Camoys question I have been doing much research into this family as I believe I am lineally descended
    from the Fitz Humfreys.. As you may already know Goismer was of Anglo Saxon stock which in turn his sons [1] Humphrey Fitz Goismer had by turns sons who became of the Fitzhumfrey surname.
    any help I can give and any in return would be most rewarding
    Christopher Homfray

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Peter G. M. Dale@21:1/5 to All on Sat Feb 18 08:17:27 2023
    Hi Christopher, many thanks for the note. I still feel that the Humphrey/Camoys - de Clare families are connected somehow by blood. Largely based on the (i) onomastic evidence, (ii) placement in witness lists, and (iii) tenurial connections. I'm just
    not sure how and in what generation. Perhaps via a wife of Goismer or his son Humphrey? I'm very interested in corresponding with you and sharing information. Please e-mail me offline at pdale (at) peterdale (dot) com. Thanks. Cheers, Pete Dale

Pete
    Hello Peter Perhaps I may be able to help you with the Fitz Humphrey/Camoys question I have been doing much research into this family as I believe I am lineally descended
    from the Fitz Humfreys.. As you may already know Goismer was of Anglo Saxon stock which in turn his sons [1] Humphrey Fitz Goismer had by turns sons who became of the Fitzhumfrey surname.
    any help I can give and any in return would be most rewarding
    Christopher Homfray

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)