• Re: Any Scots royal lines for immigrant John1 Borland of Boston, Massac

From JBrand@21:1/5 to All on Fri Feb 17 21:24:12 2023
    [I'm putting back an updated version of my removed posting, as I've found more information on this family.]

The Scots immigrant John1 Borland of Boston (husband of Sarah Neal), may have remote royal ancestry through his Baillie or Hamilton lines.

Josephine C. Frost, _Ancestors of Henry Rogers Winthrop and his wife, Alice Woodward Babcock_ (1927), gives:

2. JOHN BORLAND, son of John and Marion (Mack) Borland, was born in Bangor, Ireland, Dec. 23, 1633, and married Mch. 5, 1657, Beatrix (daughter of James Baillie), who at Isle of Eelin in Larn [? Lanark], died about 1674. Issue: John, John, Francis,
    Janet, Anna.

3. JOHN BORLAND, son of John and Beatrix (Baillie) Borland, was born Feb. 3, 1659, and became a prominent merchant of Boston, Mass., making his will there in 1726 and dying March 30, 1727. He mentions his wife Sarah; only son Francis; three nieces,
    Cecil, Anna and Euphamie, daughter[s] of his brother Francis Borland, late of Glasford, in North Britain, clerk; ...

End of Quote.

The brother, Rev. Mr. Francis Borland of Lanarkshire, Scotland, left a surviving diary, now housed at the University of Edinburgh, which has been studied in detail by Jack Ramsay ("The Borland Memorial," _Journal of Presbyterian History_, 41 [1963]: 141-
    64).

Per this diary of Rev. Francis Borland, the family was in Ireland only briefly in the late 1650s, living most of the rest of the time at Hamilton, Lanarkshire, Scotland. Francis also mentions his brother John, "who was bred a Merchant ... & traded to New
    England about the year 1680, where afterwards providence did cast his lot in Boston of New England. Here the Lord did order for him a prudent and virtuous wife Sarah Neal, whom he married in [sic] October 23, 1683 by whom he hath several children" (
    Ramsay, p. 145, footnote 22). The mother of John and Francis is named by Francis as "Beautrice Boulie born about 1624, married March 5, 1657," who was a daughter of "James Boulie Laird of Park in Blantyne Parish and Katherin Hamilton daughter of the
    Laird of Edstou in Hamilton Parish" (p. 43, footnote 6).

Elsewhere, Rev. Francis Borland mentioned "boarding with my Aunt Janet Bailie," so it's unclear why the name "Boulie" was employed in the details about his mother, unless Ramsey had some difficulties with the handwriting at that point in the manuscript (
    perhaps the surname was capitalized in that passage ?).

The marriage of John Borland and Beatrice is in the extracted IGI (batch M11647-2), at Hamilton, Lanarkshire, on 28 January 1657 (not 5
    March), their names given as "Johne Borland" and "Bitrix Bailzie." Bailzie is a more common variant of Baillie.

Beatrice Baillie's parents are apparently the ones found in this complaint to the Privy Council in 1630:

"Complaint by Katharine Hamiltoun, spouse to James Baillie of Parke, as follows:---On 18th February last she obtained decreit before their
    Lordships ordaining her said husband to infeft her in a legal way in the half of his living of Parke, Auchintibber and Corsbasket, with the
    burden of the entertainment of their three daughters and payment of the annual rent of 1000 merks. He has not obeyed the decreet and has been put to the horn accordingly and comtemptuously remains thereat ..." (P. Hume Brown, ed. _The Register of the
    Privy Council of
    Scotland_, 2nd series, vol. 4, pp. 95-96 [extensive petition by Katherine Hamiltoun]).

End of Quote.

http://books.google.com/books?id=EcYvAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA95&dq=%22entertainment+of+their+three%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=n-aXUdmbMvPG4APeioGAAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22entertainment%20of%20their%20three%22&f=false

James Baillie has a known mistress, Jean Henderson of Parke, and Katherine Hamilton accused both of them to the Council the following year, 1631, "the complainer appearing by her brother, James Hamilton of Barncluthe ..." (p. 114).

https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Register_of_the_Privy_Council_of_Sco/EcYvAAAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=barncluthe&pg=PA748&printsec=frontcover

Sir James Balfour Paul, _The Scots Peerage_, 2:41-42, shows that James Hamilton "of Barncleuch" had a sister "Catherine, married to Baillie of Park"; these two were children of John Hamilton of Udston, parish of Hamilton, and his spouse Margaret Muirhead
    of Lachop. Compare the place name of Udston, Hamilton parish, with Francis Borland's statement about his great-grandfather Hamilton "of _Edstou_ in Hamilton Parish" (I suspect what Francis really wrote was "Edston," close enough to Udston.)

Rev. Francis Borland mentions being educated at Glasgow in the 1670s in some fashion by "Mr. Francis Kincaid, my uncle in law" (Ramsey, p. 143).

The following records, drawn from the IGI, show a Francis Kincaid with wife Margaret Baillie and numerous family at Hamilton and nearby Glasgow.

Hamilton, Scotland, baptisms of children of Francis Kincaid with no wife named:

--Christian Kincaid, dau., bapt. 1647
    --William Kincaid, son, bapt. 1649

Glasgow, Scotland, records of Kincaids, all baptisms showing the mother's family name ("Baillie"):

--George Kincaid, son Francis & Margaret, bapt. 1652
    --Margaret Kincaid, who married in 1653 to Matthew Cumming
    --Matthew Kincaid, son Francis & Margaret, bapt. 1653
    --Sarah Kincaid, dau. Francis & Margaret, bapt. 1655
    --Janet Kincaid, dau. Francis & Margaret, bapt. 1656
    --Francis Kincaid, son Francis & Margaret, bapt. 1658
    --Jean Kincaid, dau. Francis & Margaret, bapt. 1660

This Kincaid-Baillie family is central in a complex legal dispute between Kincaid, Cumming and Scot, over the lands of John Baillie of Parke and Corsebasket, apparently a brother of Beatrix Baillie, wife of John Borland (though no Borlands are found in
    the dispute) [see Brown's _Supplement to the Dictionary of the Decisions of the Court of Session_ 4: 515-16]:

December 24, 1701. I reported the competition about the estate of Mr John Kincaid of Corsebasket, advocate, betwixt Matthew Cumming and Margaret Scot, his sister's children, and his nearest of kin. John Baillie of Park, heritor of the lands of
    Corsebasket, makes a tailzie of these lands in 1659, to himself and the heirs of his own body; whilk failing, to John Kincaid his nephew, and the heirs of his body; then to Francis Kincaid and his heirs, and, last of all, to Margaret Kincaid their sister,
    and the heirs of her body. After Baillie's decease, John Kincaid does not prosecute the tailzie, but charges Baillie's sisters, as heirs of line, to enter heir to him in the said lands of Corsebasket; which they accordingly did, and disponed to him
    these lands, but exactly in the terms of their brother's tailzie, whereupon John is infeft; but afterwards resolving to change the holding, he resigns in the hands of the Duchess of Hamilton, superior, and prevails with her Grace to get them changed from
    ward to feu; and in this charter the tailzie is neglected, and the lands taken to himself, and the heirs of his own body; which failing, to his brother Francis, and the heirs of his body; and these also failing, the fee to return to himself, and his own
    heirs whatsomever; and on this he is also infeft. On John Kincaid's decease in June 1700, Matthew Cumming, eldest son to Margaret Kincaid, the last branch and member of the tailzie made by John Baillie, serves himself heir of provision and tailzie to
    the said John Baillie, and thereon infefts himself as _haeres ex asse_ in the whole lands; Margaret Scot, a niece of John Kincaid's by another sister, retours herself heir portioner to her uncle, and being also infeft, pursues, etc. etc. ...

End of Quote.

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Supplement_to_the_Dictionary_of_the_Deci/r6xKAQAAIAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22betwixt+matthew+cumming%22&pg=PA515&printsec=frontcover

The only baptisms of persons named immediately above which I can't find are those of Francis and Margaret Kincaid's two elder children John Kincaid and Margaret Kincaid; but the Cumming marriage of Margaret Kincaid is in the Glasgow records along with
    the baptisms of her younger siblings.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From kelsey.jackson.williams@googlemail.@21:1/5 to JBrand on Sat Feb 18 02:16:54 2023
    On Saturday, 18 February 2023 at 05:24:13 UTC, JBrand wrote:
    [I'm putting back an updated version of my removed posting, as I've found more information on this family.]

The Scots immigrant John1 Borland of Boston (husband of Sarah Neal), may have remote royal ancestry through his Baillie or Hamilton lines.

Josephine C. Frost, _Ancestors of Henry Rogers Winthrop and his wife, Alice Woodward Babcock_ (1927), gives:

2. JOHN BORLAND, son of John and Marion (Mack) Borland, was born in Bangor, Ireland, Dec. 23, 1633, and married Mch. 5, 1657, Beatrix (daughter of James Baillie), who at Isle of Eelin in Larn [? Lanark], died about 1674. Issue: John, John, Francis,
    Janet, Anna.

3. JOHN BORLAND, son of John and Beatrix (Baillie) Borland, was born Feb. 3, 1659, and became a prominent merchant of Boston, Mass., making his will there in 1726 and dying March 30, 1727. He mentions his wife Sarah; only son Francis; three nieces,
    Cecil, Anna and Euphamie, daughter[s] of his brother Francis Borland, late of Glasford, in North Britain, clerk; ...

End of Quote.

The brother, Rev. Mr. Francis Borland of Lanarkshire, Scotland, left a surviving diary, now housed at the University of Edinburgh, which has been studied in detail by Jack Ramsay ("The Borland Memorial," _Journal of Presbyterian History_, 41 [1963]:
    141-64).

Per this diary of Rev. Francis Borland, the family was in Ireland only briefly in the late 1650s, living most of the rest of the time at Hamilton, Lanarkshire, Scotland. Francis also mentions his brother John, "who was bred a Merchant ... & traded to
    New England about the year 1680, where afterwards providence did cast his lot in Boston of New England. Here the Lord did order for him a prudent and virtuous wife Sarah Neal, whom he married in [sic] October 23, 1683 by whom he hath several children" (
    Ramsay, p. 145, footnote 22). The mother of John and Francis is named by Francis as "Beautrice Boulie born about 1624, married March 5, 1657," who was a daughter of "James Boulie Laird of Park in Blantyne Parish and Katherin Hamilton daughter of the

Elsewhere, Rev. Francis Borland mentioned "boarding with my Aunt Janet Bailie," so it's unclear why the name "Boulie" was employed in the details about his mother, unless Ramsey had some difficulties with the handwriting at that point in the manuscript
    (perhaps the surname was capitalized in that passage ?).

The marriage of John Borland and Beatrice is in the extracted IGI (batch M11647-2), at Hamilton, Lanarkshire, on 28 January 1657 (not 5
    March), their names given as "Johne Borland" and "Bitrix Bailzie." Bailzie is a more common variant of Baillie.

Beatrice Baillie's parents are apparently the ones found in this complaint to the Privy Council in 1630:

"Complaint by Katharine Hamiltoun, spouse to James Baillie of Parke, as follows:---On 18th February last she obtained decreit before their
    Lordships ordaining her said husband to infeft her in a legal way in the half of his living of Parke, Auchintibber and Corsbasket, with the
    burden of the entertainment of their three daughters and payment of the annual rent of 1000 merks. He has not obeyed the decreet and has been put to the horn accordingly and comtemptuously remains thereat ..." (P. Hume Brown, ed. _The Register of the
    Privy Council of
    Scotland_, 2nd series, vol. 4, pp. 95-96 [extensive petition by Katherine Hamiltoun]).

End of Quote.

http://books.google.com/books?id=EcYvAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA95&dq=%22entertainment+of+their+three%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=n-aXUdmbMvPG4APeioGAAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22entertainment%20of%20their%20three%22&f=false

James Baillie has a known mistress, Jean Henderson of Parke, and Katherine Hamilton accused both of them to the Council the following year, 1631, "the complainer appearing by her brother, James Hamilton of Barncluthe ..." (p. 114).

https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Register_of_the_Privy_Council_of_Sco/EcYvAAAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=barncluthe&pg=PA748&printsec=frontcover

Sir James Balfour Paul, _The Scots Peerage_, 2:41-42, shows that James Hamilton "of Barncleuch" had a sister "Catherine, married to Baillie of Park"; these two were children of John Hamilton of Udston, parish of Hamilton, and his spouse Margaret
    Muirhead of Lachop. Compare the place name of Udston, Hamilton parish, with Francis Borland's statement about his great-grandfather Hamilton "of _Edstou_ in Hamilton Parish" (I suspect what Francis really wrote was "Edston," close enough to Udston.)

Rev. Francis Borland mentions being educated at Glasgow in the 1670s in some fashion by "Mr. Francis Kincaid, my uncle in law" (Ramsey, p. 143).

The following records, drawn from the IGI, show a Francis Kincaid with wife Margaret Baillie and numerous family at Hamilton and nearby Glasgow.

Glasgow, Scotland, records of Kincaids, all baptisms showing the mother's family name ("Baillie"):

This Kincaid-Baillie family is central in a complex legal dispute between Kincaid, Cumming and Scot, over the lands of John Baillie of Parke and Corsebasket, apparently a brother of Beatrix Baillie, wife of John Borland (though no Borlands are found in
    the dispute) [see Brown's _Supplement to the Dictionary of the Decisions of the Court of Session_ 4: 515-16]:

December 24, 1701. I reported the competition about the estate of Mr John Kincaid of Corsebasket, advocate, betwixt Matthew Cumming and Margaret Scot, his sister's children, and his nearest of kin. John Baillie of Park, heritor of the lands of
    Corsebasket, makes a tailzie of these lands in 1659, to himself and the heirs of his own body; whilk failing, to John Kincaid his nephew, and the heirs of his body; then to Francis Kincaid and his heirs, and, last of all, to Margaret Kincaid their sister,
    and the heirs of her body. After Baillie's decease, John Kincaid does not prosecute the tailzie, but charges Baillie's sisters, as heirs of line, to enter heir to him in the said lands of Corsebasket; which they accordingly did, and disponed to him
    these lands, but exactly in the terms of their brother's tailzie, whereupon John is infeft; but afterwards resolving to change the holding, he resigns in the hands of the Duchess of Hamilton, superior, and prevails with her Grace to get them changed from
    ward to feu; and in this charter the tailzie is neglected, and the lands taken to himself, and the heirs of his own body; which failing, to his brother Francis, and the heirs of his body; and these also failing, the fee to return to himself, and his own
    heirs whatsomever; and on this he is also infeft. On John Kincaid's decease in June 1700, Matthew Cumming, eldest son to Margaret Kincaid, the last branch and member of the tailzie made by John Baillie, serves himself heir of provision and tailzie to the
    said John Baillie, and thereon infefts himself as _haeres ex asse_ in the whole lands; Margaret Scot, a niece of John Kincaid's by another sister, retours herself heir portioner to her uncle, and being also infeft, pursues, etc. etc. ...

End of Quote.

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Supplement_to_the_Dictionary_of_the_Deci/r6xKAQAAIAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22betwixt+matthew+cumming%22&pg=PA515&printsec=frontcover

The only baptisms of persons named immediately above which I can't find are those of Francis and Margaret Kincaid's two elder children John Kincaid and Margaret Kincaid; but the Cumming marriage of Margaret Kincaid is in the Glasgow records along with
    the baptisms of her younger siblings.

If it's a royal descent you're looking for, I think I can offer at least a provisional one for this man:

1. John Borland, 1659-1727 (as above)

2. Beatrix Baillie = John Borland (as above)

3. Katharine Hamilton = James Baillie of Park (as above - from their son's memoir)

4. Margaret Muirhead = John Hamilton of Udston, living 1593 (_Scots Peerage_, ii. 41).

5. Janet Hamilton = James Muirhead of Lachop (Nisbet, _Heraldry_, ii. appx. 258-268).

6. David Hamilton, 1st of Bothwellhaugh = Christian Schawe (John Anderson, _Historical and Genealogical Memoirs of the House of Hamilton_ [Edinburgh, 1825], 240).

7. John Hamilton, 1st of Orbistoun = Jean Hamilton (Anderson, _Memoirs_, 271).

8. Gavin Hamilton, Provost of Bothwell, fl. 1453-1482 = Jean Muirhead (Anderson, _Memoirs_, 270-271; _Scots Peerage_, iv. 348-349).

[The following generations are pretty well-trodden, so I haven't provided individual sources - this is taken from Genealogics]

9. Janet Livingstone = Sir James Hamilton, 5th of Cadzow, d. before 1441

10. NN Dundas = Sir Alexander Livingstone of Callendar, d. 1451

11. Christian Stewart = Sir James Dundas of that Ilk

12. Isabel of Lorn = Sir John Stewart of Innermeath and Lorn

13. Jonet Isaac = Eoin of Lorn

14. Matilda Bruce = Thomas Isaac

15. Robert I Bruce, King of Scots

Obviously the usual caveats apply to a long pedigree assembled from secondary sources, but if anyone is interested this might be a useful first avenue to examine. As I noted in my posts of a decade ago, there's also the possibility of royal descent
    through the Muirheads of Lachop but the pedigree of that family needs to be established from the primary record before any progress can be made there.

All the best,
    Kelsey

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JBrand@21:1/5 to kelsey.jack...@googlemail.com on Sat Feb 18 07:10:43 2023
    On Saturday, February 18, 2023 at 5:16:55 AM UTC-5, kelsey.jack...@googlemail.com wrote:

Janet, Anna.

End of Quote.

The brother, Rev. Mr. Francis Borland of Lanarkshire, Scotland, left a surviving diary, now housed at the University of Edinburgh, which has been studied in detail by Jack Ramsay ("The Borland Memorial," _Journal of Presbyterian History_, 41 [1963]:
    141-64).

Per this diary of Rev. Francis Borland, the family was in Ireland only briefly in the late 1650s, living most of the rest of the time at Hamilton, Lanarkshire, Scotland. Francis also mentions his brother John, "who was bred a Merchant ... & traded to
    New England about the year 1680, where afterwards providence did cast his lot in Boston of New England. Here the Lord did order for him a prudent and virtuous wife Sarah Neal, whom he married in [sic] October 23, 1683 by whom he hath several children" (

Elsewhere, Rev. Francis Borland mentioned "boarding with my Aunt Janet Bailie," so it's unclear why the name "Boulie" was employed in the details about his mother, unless Ramsey had some difficulties with the handwriting at that point in the
    manuscript (perhaps the surname was capitalized in that passage ?).

Privy Council of

End of Quote.

Sir James Balfour Paul, _The Scots Peerage_, 2:41-42, shows that James Hamilton "of Barncleuch" had a sister "Catherine, married to Baillie of Park"; these two were children of John Hamilton of Udston, parish of Hamilton, and his spouse Margaret
    Muirhead of Lachop. Compare the place name of Udston, Hamilton parish, with Francis Borland's statement about his great-grandfather Hamilton "of _Edstou_ in Hamilton Parish" (I suspect what Francis really wrote was "Edston," close enough to Udston.)

This Kincaid-Baillie family is central in a complex legal dispute between Kincaid, Cumming and Scot, over the lands of John Baillie of Parke and Corsebasket, apparently a brother of Beatrix Baillie, wife of John Borland (though no Borlands are found
    in the dispute) [see Brown's _Supplement to the Dictionary of the Decisions of the Court of Session_ 4: 515-16]:

heirs whatsomever; and on this he is also infeft. On John Kincaid's decease in June 1700, Matthew Cumming, eldest son to Margaret Kincaid, the last branch and member of the tailzie made by John Baillie, serves himself heir of provision and tailzie to the
    said John Baillie, and thereon infefts himself as _haeres ex asse_ in the whole lands; Margaret Scot, a niece of John Kincaid's by another sister, retours herself heir portioner to her uncle, and being also infeft, pursues, etc. etc. ...

End of Quote.

The only baptisms of persons named immediately above which I can't find are those of Francis and Margaret Kincaid's two elder children John Kincaid and Margaret Kincaid; but the Cumming marriage of Margaret Kincaid is in the Glasgow records along
    with the baptisms of her younger siblings.
    If it's a royal descent you're looking for, I think I can offer at least a provisional one for this man:

3. Katharine Hamilton = James Baillie of Park (as above - from their son's memoir)

4. Margaret Muirhead = John Hamilton of Udston, living 1593 (_Scots Peerage_, ii. 41).

5. Janet Hamilton = James Muirhead of Lachop (Nisbet, _Heraldry_, ii. appx. 258-268).

6. David Hamilton, 1st of Bothwellhaugh = Christian Schawe (John Anderson, _Historical and Genealogical Memoirs of the House of Hamilton_ [Edinburgh, 1825], 240).

8. Gavin Hamilton, Provost of Bothwell, fl. 1453-1482 = Jean Muirhead (Anderson, _Memoirs_, 270-271; _Scots Peerage_, iv. 348-349).

[The following generations are pretty well-trodden, so I haven't provided individual sources - this is taken from Genealogics]

Obviously the usual caveats apply to a long pedigree assembled from secondary sources, but if anyone is interested this might be a useful first avenue to examine. As I noted in my posts of a decade ago, there's also the possibility of royal descent
    through the Muirheads of Lachop but the pedigree of that family needs to be established from the primary record before any progress can be made there.

All the best,
    Kelsey

Thanks, very nice. I'll leave this one to the descendants to nail down exactly (there are a few, including former Senator and Secretary of State John Kerry).

A few additional details from Rev. Borland's Diary/ Memorial.

He was born in Ireland in 1661, the same year his parents returned to Moorhourses in Hamilton parish.

Park or Parke is in Blantyre, not Blantyne, Parish.

The author of the Borland article is Ramsay, not Ramsey (I used both above).

Francis Borland was a graduate of Glasgow University.

Francis mentions his mother died in 1674, which agrees with information from the American branch, but doesn't give a location.

His parents' children were John (b. and d. 1658), another John (b. 1659, the immigrant), Francis, Anna, and Janet.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JBrand@21:1/5 to JBrand on Sat Feb 18 07:17:38 2023
    On Saturday, February 18, 2023 at 10:10:44 AM UTC-5, JBrand wrote:
    On Saturday, February 18, 2023 at 5:16:55 AM UTC-5, kelsey.jack...@googlemail.com wrote:

Janet, Anna.

End of Quote.

141-64).

Per this diary of Rev. Francis Borland, the family was in Ireland only briefly in the late 1650s, living most of the rest of the time at Hamilton, Lanarkshire, Scotland. Francis also mentions his brother John, "who was bred a Merchant ... & traded
    to New England about the year 1680, where afterwards providence did cast his lot in Boston of New England. Here the Lord did order for him a prudent and virtuous wife Sarah Neal, whom he married in [sic] October 23, 1683 by whom he hath several children"
    (Ramsay, p. 145, footnote 22). The mother of John and Francis is named by Francis as "Beautrice Boulie born about 1624, married March 5, 1657," who was a daughter of "James Boulie Laird of Park in Blantyne Parish and Katherin Hamilton daughter of the

Elsewhere, Rev. Francis Borland mentioned "boarding with my Aunt Janet Bailie," so it's unclear why the name "Boulie" was employed in the details about his mother, unless Ramsey had some difficulties with the handwriting at that point in the
    manuscript (perhaps the surname was capitalized in that passage ?).

burden of the entertainment of their three daughters and payment of the annual rent of 1000 merks. He has not obeyed the decreet and has been put to the horn accordingly and comtemptuously remains thereat ..." (P. Hume Brown, ed. _The Register of
    the Privy Council of

End of Quote.

This Kincaid-Baillie family is central in a complex legal dispute between Kincaid, Cumming and Scot, over the lands of John Baillie of Parke and Corsebasket, apparently a brother of Beatrix Baillie, wife of John Borland (though no Borlands are
    found in the dispute) [see Brown's _Supplement to the Dictionary of the Decisions of the Court of Session_ 4: 515-16]:

End of Quote.

The only baptisms of persons named immediately above which I can't find are those of Francis and Margaret Kincaid's two elder children John Kincaid and Margaret Kincaid; but the Cumming marriage of Margaret Kincaid is in the Glasgow records along
    with the baptisms of her younger siblings.

All the best,
    Kelsey
    Thanks, very nice. I'll leave this one to the descendants to nail down exactly (there are a few, including former Senator and Secretary of State John Kerry).

A few additional details from Rev. Borland's Diary/ Memorial.

He was born in Ireland in 1661, the same year his parents returned to Moorhourses in Hamilton parish.

Park or Parke is in Blantyre, not Blantyne, Parish.

The author of the Borland article is Ramsay, not Ramsey (I used both above).

Francis Borland was a graduate of Glasgow University.

Francis mentions his mother died in 1674, which agrees with information from the American branch, but doesn't give a location.

His parents' children were John (b. and d. 1658), another John (b. 1659, the immigrant), Francis, Anna, and Janet.

Oh, also .... I still haven't seen _The Borland Family_ by Constance Borland (Knickerbocker Press, 1911).

Also, Moorhouses (not Moorhourses).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05