• Some new medieval publications

From Wibs@21:1/5 to All on Thu Feb 16 07:05:15 2023
    Just a gentle plug for a few new medieval publications, all available on Amazon:

The Serjeants of Chancery
    (pages:
    This work charts the early history of the Serjeanty, from 1123 -- 1385, and the three specific roles of the sergeants, the deputies who actually did the work: - The Spigurnel, who sealed all writs and other writings emanating from Chancery; The Chaffwax,
    who heated and poured the wax for the sealing; and the Portjoie, responsible for the transportation of the Chancery Rolls when following the king on his perpatetic wanderings. These three junior officers of chancery have been identified, and biographies
    of each provided, some more fuller than others.

Some Notes on the Chancery under Richard II and Henry IV
    (pages: i--xx, 1--240)
    This substantial work charts the careers of the clerks and other staff employed in the administrative office of Chancery from 1377--1413 (not the officials of the Chancery Court). As these clerks enjoyed substantial emoluments they were often the junior
    sons of the nobility or a favourite of their lord. The period has been chosen to follow on from Wilkinsons' 'The Chancery under Edward III', and bridge the gap to Richardson's 'The Medieval Chancery under Henry V'. As the period under discussion followed
    the ravages of the great plague, opportunities arose for many from more humble origins to also make a mark. The book explores the work of the clerks, both curricular and extra-curricular, and provided the first complete English translations of the
    Ordinaciones Cancellarie.

The Register of Nicholas Bubwith, Bishop of Salisbury, 1407: With Some Account of his Family Background, Education and Early Career
    (pages: i--xii, 1--81)
    Nicholas Bubwith was a trusted statesman of Henry IV and Henry V and attained high office under both kings. He was also a senior cleric and held three successive bishopricks.
    The registers of Bishop Nicholas Bubwith while Bishop of London and while Bishop of Bath and Wells have both been published, but his rather short register, while briefly Bishop of Salisbury in 1407, has never been published, until now. This monograph
    includes an edition of that register, providing both a Latin transcription together with an English translation.

In addition, an account of the family background, education and early career of Nicholas Bubwith is provided, together with notes on his coat of arms, and an English translation of his last Will and Testament

I am currently nearing the end of another work, the careers and biographies of the clerks of the Privy Seal Office, also under Richard II and Henry IV, (1377-1413), and hope to publish before Easter.

Thanks
    Colin Blanshard Withers (Wibs)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Wibs@21:1/5 to Wibs on Thu Feb 16 07:38:10 2023
    On Thursday, 16 February 2023 at 16:05:18 UTC+1, Wibs wrote:
    Just a gentle plug for a few new medieval publications, all available on Amazon:

(pages:
    This work charts the early history of the Serjeanty, from 1123 -- 1385, and the three specific roles of the sergeants, the deputies who actually did the work: - The Spigurnel, who sealed all writs and other writings emanating from Chancery; The
    Chaffwax, who heated and poured the wax for the sealing; and the Portjoie, responsible for the transportation of the Chancery Rolls when following the king on his perpatetic wanderings. These three junior officers of chancery have been identified, and
    biographies of each provided, some more fuller than others.

This substantial work charts the careers of the clerks and other staff employed in the administrative office of Chancery from 1377--1413 (not the officials of the Chancery Court). As these clerks enjoyed substantial emoluments they were often the
    junior sons of the nobility or a favourite of their lord. The period has been chosen to follow on from Wilkinsons' 'The Chancery under Edward III', and bridge the gap to Richardson's 'The Medieval Chancery under Henry V'. As the period under discussion
    followed the ravages of the great plague, opportunities arose for many from more humble origins to also make a mark. The book explores the work of the clerks, both curricular and extra-curricular, and provided the first complete English translations of
    the Ordinaciones Cancellarie.

The Register of Nicholas Bubwith, Bishop of Salisbury, 1407: With Some Account of his Family Background, Education and Early Career
    Nicholas Bubwith was a trusted statesman of Henry IV and Henry V and attained high office under both kings. He was also a senior cleric and held three successive bishopricks.
    The registers of Bishop Nicholas Bubwith while Bishop of London and while Bishop of Bath and Wells have both been published, but his rather short register, while briefly Bishop of Salisbury in 1407, has never been published, until now. This monograph
    includes an edition of that register, providing both a Latin transcription together with an English translation.

In addition, an account of the family background, education and early career of Nicholas Bubwith is provided, together with notes on his coat of arms, and an English translation of his last Will and Testament

I am currently nearing the end of another work, the careers and biographies of the clerks of the Privy Seal Office, also under Richard II and Henry IV, (1377-1413), and hope to publish before Easter.

Thanks

The pages of 'The Serjeants of Chancery' should read: (i--xx, 1-78)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Johnny Brananas@21:1/5 to Wibs on Thu Feb 16 07:48:46 2023
    On Thursday, February 16, 2023 at 10:38:13 AM UTC-5, Wibs wrote:
    On Thursday, 16 February 2023 at 16:05:18 UTC+1, Wibs wrote:

(pages:
    This work charts the early history of the Serjeanty, from 1123 -- 1385, and the three specific roles of the sergeants, the deputies who actually did the work: - The Spigurnel, who sealed all writs and other writings emanating from Chancery; The
    Chaffwax, who heated and poured the wax for the sealing; and the Portjoie, responsible for the transportation of the Chancery Rolls when following the king on his perpatetic wanderings. These three junior officers of chancery have been identified, and
    biographies of each provided, some more fuller than others.

This substantial work charts the careers of the clerks and other staff employed in the administrative office of Chancery from 1377--1413 (not the officials of the Chancery Court). As these clerks enjoyed substantial emoluments they were often the
    junior sons of the nobility or a favourite of their lord. The period has been chosen to follow on from Wilkinsons' 'The Chancery under Edward III', and bridge the gap to Richardson's 'The Medieval Chancery under Henry V'. As the period under discussion
    followed the ravages of the great plague, opportunities arose for many from more humble origins to also make a mark. The book explores the work of the clerks, both curricular and extra-curricular, and provided the first complete English translations of
    the Ordinaciones Cancellarie.

Thanks
    The pages of 'The Serjeants of Chancery' should read: (i--xx, 1-78)

Are these Lists & Indexes publications? I'm always surprised at how many varied volumes they churn out, even though our library has nowhere near all of the offerings.

I think people vaguely "remember" Lists & Indexes as something from the past, but it's very much an on-going production line.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Wibs@21:1/5 to Johnny Brananas on Thu Feb 16 07:53:43 2023
    On Thursday, 16 February 2023 at 16:48:48 UTC+1, Johnny Brananas wrote:

Are these Lists & Indexes publications? I'm always surprised at how many varied volumes they churn out, even though our library has nowhere near all of the offerings.

I think people vaguely "remember" Lists & Indexes as something from the past, but it's very much an on-going production line.

No, they are privately published by myself using Amazon self-publishing. The Wilkinson book was published as a List and Index Society volume.

All my publications are fully referenced.

Wibs

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Johnny Brananas@21:1/5 to Wibs on Thu Feb 16 08:10:14 2023
    On Thursday, February 16, 2023 at 10:53:44 AM UTC-5, Wibs wrote:
    On Thursday, 16 February 2023 at 16:48:48 UTC+1, Johnny Brananas wrote:

No, they are privately published by myself using Amazon self-publishing. The Wilkinson book was published as a List and Index Society volume.

All my publications are fully referenced.

Wibs

Oh, sorry. I have seen the Wilkinson book on medieval Chancery personnel.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05