• Family of William de Ferrers of Ber Ferrers, Devon, England (b. abt 122

From Bruce Fogwell@21:1/5 to All on Sun Feb 5 11:16:50 2023
    I am looking for verified source information/documentation on the descendants and ancestors of William de Ferrers of Ber Ferrers, Devon, England (b. abt 1225, d. abt 1279). There are a lot of family trees online containing information on this family but,
    of course, none of them provide verification and some of the information in these trees is conflicting.

The only authoritative information that I have found is the website http://www.medievalgenealogy.org.uk/fines/abstracts/CP_25_1_286_35.shtml which provides the following information:

"CP 25/1/286/35, number 12.
    Link: Image of document at AALT

County: Devon. Cornwall.
    Place: York.
    Date: One week from Holy Trinity, 2 Edward III [5 June 1328].
    Parties: William de Ferers and Maud, his wife, querents, and Master Henry de Nyw[eton'], deforciant.
    Property: [The manors of] BirFerers and Nyweton' Ferers and 5 and a half knights' fees and a fourth part of 1 knight's fee in Poselinch', Furdel, Cornwoda, Sprideleston', [..., ..., ... and] Bynardeston'* in the county of Devon and 1 messuage, 1 carucate
    of land, 50 shillings of rent [and] 5 and a half knights' fees in Trehanna, Penpol, [..., ..., ...], Nyweton' Rauf', Ayston' Johan, Croketon' and Legh' in the county of Cornwall.
    Action: Plea of covenant.
    Agreement: William has acknowledged the manors, [tenements, fees and fourth part] to be the right of Master Henry, as those which Master Henry has of his gift.
    For this: Master Henry has granted to William [and Maud the manors, tenements], fees and fourth part and has rendered them to them in the court, to hold to William and Maud, of the chief lords for the lives of William and Maud. And after the decease of
    William and Maud the manors, tenements, fees and fourth part, excepting [7 ferlings of land in] the manor of Nyweton' Ferers, shall remain to John, son of the same William, and the heirs of his body, to hold of the chief lords for ever. In default of
    such heirs, successive remainders (1) to Robert, brother of the same John, and the heirs of his body, (2) to Stephen, brother of the same Robert, and the heirs of his body, (3) to Martin, brother of the same Stephen, and the heirs of his body, (4) to
    Andrew, brother of the same Martin, and the heirs of his body and (5) to the right heirs of William. And the remaining 7 ferlings of land above excepted shall remain to the aforesaid Martin, to hold of the chief lords for the life of Martin. And after
    the decease of Martin the same land shall remain to the aforesaid John and the heirs of his body, to hold of the chief lords for ever. In default of such heirs, successive remainders (1) to the aforesaid Robert and the heirs of his body, (2) to the
    aforesaid Stephen and the heirs of his body and (3) to the right heirs of William.

Note: [* In J. H. Rowe, ed., 'Cornwall Feet of Fines. Volume I' (1914), p. 420, this place-name is transcribed as Wynardeston and tentatively identified as Winston in Brixton. But the initial letter is clearly a B.]"

One online tree indicates that William’s wife was Maud de Champernon (b. abt 1230 Otterham, Cornwall, England, d. abt 1269 Bere Ferrers, Devon, England), and that William and Maud also had a daughter Joan (b. abt. 1256 in Ilfracombe, Devon, England, d.
    abt. 1309 Nov 1309 Modbury, Devon, England) who married a William de Champernon (having the same surname as Maud, so was he a blood relation to Maud?).

Other trees list other children.

I searched this website but did not find anything.

Does anyone know of any source documentation to verify the line of William de Ferrers of Ber Ferrers?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From taf@21:1/5 to Bruce Fogwell on Sun Feb 5 11:59:55 2023
    On Sunday, February 5, 2023 at 11:16:51 AM UTC-8, Bruce Fogwell wrote:
    I am looking for verified source information/documentation on the descendants and ancestors of William de Ferrers of Ber Ferrers, Devon, England (b. abt 1225, d. abt 1279). There are a lot of family trees online containing information on this family
    but, of course, none of them provide verification and some of the information in these trees is conflicting.

The only authoritative information that I have found is the website http://www.medievalgenealogy.org.uk/fines/abstracts/CP_25_1_286_35.shtml which provides the following information:

Parties: William de Ferers and Maud, his wife, querents, and Master Henry de Nyw[eton'], deforciant.
    Property: [The manors of] BirFerers and Nyweton' Ferers and 5 and a half knights' fees and a fourth part of 1 knight's fee in Poselinch', Furdel, Cornwoda, Sprideleston', [..., ..., ... and] Bynardeston'* in the county of Devon and 1 messuage, 1
    carucate of land, 50 shillings of rent [and] 5 and a half knights' fees in Trehanna, Penpol, [..., ..., ...], Nyweton' Rauf', Ayston' Johan, Croketon' and Legh' in the county of Cornwall.
    Agreement: William has acknowledged the manors, [tenements, fees and fourth part] to be the right of Master Henry, as those which Master Henry has of his gift.
    For this: Master Henry has granted to William [and Maud the manors, tenements], fees and fourth part and has rendered them to them in the court, to hold to William and Maud, of the chief lords for the lives of William and Maud. And after the decease of
    William and Maud the manors, tenements, fees and fourth part, excepting [7 ferlings of land in] the manor of Nyweton' Ferers, shall remain to John, son of the same William, and the heirs of his body, to hold of the chief lords for ever. In default of
    such heirs, successive remainders (1) to Robert, brother of the same John, and the heirs of his body, (2) to Stephen, brother of the same Robert, and the heirs of his body, (3) to Martin, brother of the same Stephen, and the heirs of his body, (4) to
    Andrew, brother of the same Martin, and the heirs of his body and (5) to the right heirs of William. And the remaining 7 ferlings of land above excepted shall remain to the aforesaid Martin, to hold of the chief lords for the life of Martin. And after
    the decease of Martin the same land shall remain to the aforesaid John and the heirs of his body, to hold of the chief lords for ever. In default of such heirs, successive remainders (1) to the aforesaid Robert and the heirs of his body, (2) to the
    aforesaid Stephen and the heirs of his body and (3) to the right heirs of William.

Note: [* In J. H. Rowe, ed., 'Cornwall Feet of Fines. Volume I' (1914), p. 420, this place-name is transcribed as Wynardeston and tentatively identified as Winston in Brixton. But the initial letter is clearly a B.]"

One online tree indicates that William’s wife was Maud de Champernon (b. abt 1230 Otterham, Cornwall, England, d. abt 1269 Bere Ferrers, Devon, England), and that William and Maud also had a daughter Joan (b. abt. 1256 in Ilfracombe, Devon, England,
    d. abt. 1309 Nov 1309 Modbury, Devon, England) who married a William de Champernon (having the same surname as Maud, so was he a blood relation to Maud?).

Does anyone know of any source documentation to verify the line of William de Ferrers of Ber Ferrers?

I remember there having been one or more detailed somewhat-scholarly articles on Ferrers of Bere Ferrers published in Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries back in the early 20th century.

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From taf@21:1/5 to taf on Sun Feb 5 17:16:08 2023
    On Sunday, February 5, 2023 at 11:59:56 AM UTC-8, taf wrote:
    On Sunday, February 5, 2023 at 11:16:51 AM UTC-8, Bruce Fogwell wrote:
    I am looking for verified source information/documentation on the descendants and ancestors of William de Ferrers of Ber Ferrers, Devon, England (b. abt 1225, d. abt 1279). There are a lot of family trees online containing information on this family
    but, of course, none of them provide verification and some of the information in these trees is conflicting.

Property: [The manors of] BirFerers and Nyweton' Ferers and 5 and a half knights' fees and a fourth part of 1 knight's fee in Poselinch', Furdel, Cornwoda, Sprideleston', [..., ..., ... and] Bynardeston'* in the county of Devon and 1 messuage, 1
    carucate of land, 50 shillings of rent [and] 5 and a half knights' fees in Trehanna, Penpol, [..., ..., ...], Nyweton' Rauf', Ayston' Johan, Croketon' and Legh' in the county of Cornwall.
    For this: Master Henry has granted to William [and Maud the manors, tenements], fees and fourth part and has rendered them to them in the court, to hold to William and Maud, of the chief lords for the lives of William and Maud. And after the decease
    of William and Maud the manors, tenements, fees and fourth part, excepting [7 ferlings of land in] the manor of Nyweton' Ferers, shall remain to John, son of the same William, and the heirs of his body, to hold of the chief lords for ever. In default of

One online tree indicates that William’s wife was Maud de Champernon (b. abt 1230 Otterham, Cornwall, England, d. abt 1269 Bere Ferrers, Devon, England), and that William and Maud also had a daughter Joan (b. abt. 1256 in Ilfracombe, Devon, England,
    d. abt. 1309 Nov 1309 Modbury, Devon, England) who married a William de Champernon (having the same surname as Maud, so was he a blood relation to Maud?).

I remember there having been one or more detailed somewhat-scholarly articles on Ferrers of Bere Ferrers published in Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries back in the early 20th century.

I should have mentioned this - the family has been discussed in the group numerous times over the year. Search for "Bere Ferrers".

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Vance Mead@21:1/5 to All on Mon Feb 6 00:05:34 2023
    These are from Feudal Aids 1284-1431

1284-86 Reginaldus de Ferrariis tenet decennam de Byr https://archive.org/details/inquisitionsasse01grea/page/340/mode/2up?view=theater

1303 Reginaldus de Ferers tenet in Byr https://archive.org/details/inquisitionsasse01grea/page/354/mode/2up?view=theater

1316 Villa de Byre Ferers. Dominus ejusdem Willelmus de Ferers https://archive.org/details/inquisitionsasse01grea/page/380/mode/2up?view=theater

1346 De Johanne de Ferers pro un. f. m. in Byr https://archive.org/details/inquisitionsasse01grea/page/402/mode/2up?view=theater

1428 Alexander Chambernon, Thomas Bonvile, Ricardus Hoper, Walterus Legh et Robertus Heth tenent un. f. m. in Bereferres et Legh, quod tenent separatim inter se, et nullus eorum tenet integram quartam partem, et quod ab
    antiquo Johannes Ferrers quondam tenuit https://archive.org/details/inquisitionsasse01grea/page/448/mode/2up?view=theater

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Vance Mead@21:1/5 to All on Mon Feb 6 02:26:11 2023
    This is the IPM for Reginald de Ferrers, 24 Edw I, with his son William. I haven't looked through
    all of the IPMs but I'm sure they will tell you more.

https://archive.org/details/cu31924011387820/page/236/mode/2up?view=theater

http://www.medievalgenealogy.org.uk/sources/ipm.shtml

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05