• Re: Richard Le Poor, Bishop Of Salisbury

From Eddie Aldrich@21:1/5 to Shroud on Tue Jan 24 11:15:18 2023
    Roger of Salisbury and Richard Poore were the same person. He had 2 older brothers, Philip le Poer and Herbert le Poer. Their father is said to be Richard of Ilchester, born at Sock-Dennis Manor and owned a mill granted by Robert Beauchamp. There was a
    court case of inheritance of the location, and a paper on it at JSTOR. It looks like the sons took the mothers name, so the haplo group split. I think she was a daughter of William le Poer. Coroner of Scilly arp. There is some guess work on the father of
    Richard of Illchester.
    Denis Poore

On Wednesday, January 12, 2000 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, Shroud wrote:
    Does anyone know anything about the parentage of Richard Poore/Le Poor/Le Poer, the Bishop Of Salisbury who had the Salisbury Cathedral built in the early days of Henry III of England's rule? I have read that he was also the Chancellor and Chief Justiciar of England, but this was atributed under the name Roger Le Poer, or Roger Of Salisbury. I believe this may have been his father or even farther back. The fact that he was probably in power under King Stephen certainly would suggest this. The cathedral was built around 1220 certainly disproves other theories about him.
    Any information would help. Thank you.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)