• Re: Le Poer/Poor/Poore/Power, Ireland, England

From Eddie Aldrich@21:1/5 to Shroud on Tue Jan 24 10:53:56 2023
    On Sunday, February 13, 2000 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, Shroud wrote:
    In my family genealogy, the name Poor is probably the predominant one.
    There is a tradition that we are related to Richard Poore, the Bishop of Salisbury who built the Salisbury Cathedral under King Henry III. I have no idea if there is truth in this, although my gateway ancestor, John Poore,
    was originally from Salisbury.
    My question is, how are the various Poor's in medieval England related?
    For example, I know that there is a book called Roger Of Salisbury. He was the chief justiciar under King Henry I, and then King Stephen, who tried to have him executed. Not owning this book, someone sent me information from
    it, telling that two of his sons became bishops, and the third, who did not get a bishopric at first, became known as "the Poor", or le Poer. This may have not been how the name started, because when Strongbow lead his forces into Ireland, there a few "De Pohers" who went with him. They established themselves in Waterford, eventually becoming the "Powers." The baronies of Kells and De La Poer where held by them, and I believe a barony is still in
    a Power's posession.
    At the same time of Roger of Salisbury, there was a Roger le Poer. He
    was the chancellor under King Henry and Stephen. They were both mentioned
    in the book "The Conquering Family," by Thomas B. Costain, as separate individuals. Since Roger of Salisbury was older, could le Poer have been
    one of his sons? They are listed separately in the index. Then of course, there was Richard Poore, the Bishop of Salisbury.
    Quoted from The Conquering Family, about Henry I's neglect of duties in
    later life, "His chief minister, Roger of Salisbury, began to take it upon himself to govern and issue writs 'on the King's part and my own.' "
    Quote, about Henry I's aging mind, "His daughter remembered how this had
    hurt her and her devout mother and what talkthere had been when the King had made a certain Roger le Poer his own royal chaplain because that clever
    rogue knew enough to keep his exhortations short. Could that aging and corpulent ecclesiastic who was now jumbling the Latin phrases and wheezing
    in his haste was the selfsame Roger? She was horrified to learn that it was and that he now filled as well the high post of chancellor."
    Quoted, about Henry II, "The first thing the young King did was to summon back the ministers of his grandfather, Henry I, who had been so recklessly discarded by the simple Stephen. Roger of Salisbury was dead, but his
    nephew Nigel, now Bishop of Ely, was appointed to the post of Treasurer, which he had formerly filled."
    I hope someone may be able to help me. Thanks!
    Travis
    I am originally a Poore and have searched back to the father of Bishops Roger and Herbert, plus their brother Philip le Poer. Their father is said to be Richard of Ilchester and owned a mill at Illchester. The sons took their mothers name of le Poer.
    Her father was William le Poer and may of been the Coroner of Scilly. This resulted in 2 haplo groups for the le Poer name. Philip ended up at Patricks Ford, St. Lawrence, Pembrokeshire, Wales. His son was Henry le Poer and that’s all I got until the
    Ireland invasion. Richard of Ilchester was born at Sock-Dennis and there is a book that talks about his inheretance, which brings out what his surname may of been.
    Denis Poore,
    DeAldrich@outlook.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)