• Re: Consolidating the Peryn Whitneys (ancestry of Dorothy Harlakenden,

From James Nathan@21:1/5 to taf on Fri Jan 20 11:58:57 2023
    On Tuesday, December 8, 2015 at 9:09:32 AM UTC-7, taf wrote:
    On Tuesday, December 8, 2015 at 7:59:04 AM UTC-8, rosemar...@gmail.com wrote:

This discussion mentions Brudenell people and Cheyney people, and also
    a John Cheyney, described as a great uncle of another John Cheyney. Could I beg to differ on these, given my perusal of the documents: C 140/82/4 and C 140/30/51; these deal with the IPM of a John Cheyney and of an Edmund Brudenell. In the former, a relationship appears as the end which suggests to me a great great uncle, rather than a single "great", and in the latter, the person married to the deceased's daughter, Elizabeth Brudenel, goes by the name of Thomas Cheyney rather than John. These
    items appear to contradict one of the Heraldic visitations for Cheyney people. Perhaps I am just as likely to make mistakes as the rest of the crowd, but I am rather puzzled.
    The traditional pedigree of the Cheyneys is deeply flawed, but I am unaware of anyone having made a detailed study in an attempt to sort out the truth. I doubt anyone here has looked at the unpublished ipms you mention. Why don't you lay out what
    precisely they say.

taf

For the applicable Cheyne line in question, the Records of Buckinghamshire reference is accurate. Here are the original sources on how to confirm. The line does break-down from the visitation in later generations, and the Records of Buckinghamshire
    also becomes wrong, but can be fixed.

Dorothy Cheyne and Thomas Harlakenden
    D/Q 6/2/3, marriage settlement - mentions father Roger Harlakenden, whose ipm makes reference to as well

John Cheyne and Joyce Lee (can demonstrate she descends from Sir Henry Wyatt) Inquisition post mortem of John Cheyne, 14 Mar 1586 (C 142/210/60)
    will of John Cheyney of Chesham Bois (PROB 11/69)
    Pardon Roll, 1 Mary ((TNA: C 67/65)
    Patent Roll, 7 Edw. VI, Part XII m. 25 (TNA: C 66/862)

Robert Cheyne and Elizabeth Webb
    Inquisition post mortem of Robert Cheyne, 1553 (TNA: C 142/98/2; also E 150/47/1)
    will of Robert Cheynye of Chesham Bois, 9 Dec 1552 (PROB 11/36)
    Pardon Roll 1 & 2 Edw. VI m. 11 (TNA: C 67/64)

John Cheyne and Margaret Ingleton
    CP 40/983: Plea Roll, Hilary term 23 Hen. VII [1508] Folio 159
    CP 40/982 folio 452: Plea Roll, Michaelmas term 23 Hen. VII [1507]
    Inquisition post mortem of Sir John Cheyne, c. 1535 (C 142/57/18)
    Calendar of Patent Rolls, 6 Edw. IV, Part II: m. 21 (TNA: C 66/516)

John Cheyne and Elizabeth Brudenell
    Inquisition post mortem of John Cheyne [of Drayton Beauchamp], 28 Sep 1468 (C 140/30/51)
    Inquisition post mortem of John Cheyne [of Chesham Bois], c. 1466 (TNA: C 140/19/22)

John Cheyne and Perinda Whitney
    Chancery suit, Robert Riley and Peryn his wife v Thomas Cheyne: bill of complaint. (TNA: C 1/73/72)
    Chancery suit, Robert Riley and Peryn his wife v Thomas Cheyne: the answer of the defendant. (TNA: C 1/73/73)
    Chancery suit, Robert Riley and Peryn his wife v Thomas Cheyne: the replication of the complainants. (C 1/73/74)

The line should then go:
    Thomas Cheyne m. Alinore Chesham
    Roger Cheyne m. ?Agnes Charlton
    William Cheyne m. Joan de Lamburne

Thomas de Lamburne m. Elizabeth
    James de Lamburne m. Joan
    William de Lamburne m. Hawise de Polsted

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)