• Latimer and Latimer Bouchard Families

From Robert Allen@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 19 00:31:50 2023
    There was a conversation at this Group in 2015 that touches on the Latimer/Latymer and Latimer/Latymer Bouchard family. See https://groups.google.com/g/soc.genealogy.medieval/c/uHSPl7X1ObU/m/k83nHOU-BAAJ

There have been no postings on this thread since 2015 so I decided to start a new conversation.

I have been doing my genealogy since 1979, but only recently have begun any detail research on my Latimer/Latymer line. My Latimer/Latymer line begins with Elizabeth Latimer/Latymer (1328-Bef. 1411) who married Thomas Griffin/Gryffin (circa 1330-circa
    1360) of Braybrook, Northamptonshire.

My first question is whether anybody knows why the surname is sometimes presented as Latimer/Latimer and then sometimes Latimer/Latymer Bouchard? Where and when does the Bouchard surname come to be connected with the Latimer/Latymer surname? Was there
    a child born out of recognized wedlock to explain this?

I trying to to get confirmation (or dispute) as to the ancestry I have put together for this Elizabeth Latimer who married Thomas Griffin.

There is a 1411 IPM of Edward Latymer Bochard. https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=umn.31951d00889656z&view=1up&seq=31 (on page 291). It finds that his kinsman and heir was John Gryffyn, being the son of Richard [Griffin], son of Elizabeth, his
    sister. This Edward Latymer Bochard and his wife jointly owned the castle, manor and advowson of Braybrooke.

It it believed that Richard Griffin was the son of Thomas Griffin, presumably the same Thomas Griffin who married Elizabeth Latimer/Latymer. I don't have direct primary source evidence proving this father son relationship yet (still searching). Other
    family trees online before I started my search for documentation present this parents-son relationship. The same family trees present that Warin Latimer/Latymer is the father of Elizabeth Latimer/Latymer who marrried Thomas Griffin.

There are 1361 IPMs of Warin Latymer and immediately following the IPM of his wife, Katharine Latymer. https://www.british-history.ac.uk/inquis-post-mortem/vol11/pp66-86 (items 108 and 109). Combined together, they establish that Warin Latymer died in
    1349, his parents were Thomas Latymer, deceased and Lora, his wife (still living). His (Warin's) heir was a son John Latymer who died at age 24 and John's heir was his brother Warin, age 19. It mentions that Warin owned the manor of Wardon in
    Northamptonshire among other lands and mentions the parsons of Wardon and Braybrok. Katherine, Warin's wife, died in 1361. Thomas Latymer. son of Warin Latymer, aged 20, was her heir. Katherine's listed land holdings included Wardon and the castle and
    town of Braybroke held for her life (not sure if this was a dower interest or a joint life estate with her deceased husband). There is no mention in these IPMs of the surname Bouchard/Buchard.

Again, I am working on the assumption that Thomas Latymer, Warin's (d. 1349) son, is the same person as the father of Elizabeth Latimer/Latymer who married Thomas Griffin.

Then there is the 1334 IPM of Thomas Latymer Couchard or Bochard or le Latymer Bouchard or Buchard or Latymer of Braybroke. https://www.british-history.ac.uk/inquis-post-mortem/vol7/418-429 (item 823). It provides that his heir was his son, Warin
    Latymer, age 30. He owned lands in Leicester, Nottingham and Northampton. In Northampton he owned the manors of Wardon and Braybroke. Lora was his wife and survived him and retained a dower interest in these and other properties. Their son and Thomas'
    s heir was Warin Latimer, age 30. Throughout the Inquisition, the deceased was interchangeably referred to as Thomas Latymer (of Braybroke) and Thomas Latymer Bouchard/Buchard.

The unsourced family trees I have relied on pending primary source proof show that the last mentioned Thomas Latymer/Bouchard's father was John le Latimer (circa 1212 to 12 Dec 1282) who married Christina de Ledet and this John le Latimer's father was
    William le Latimer (circa 1220 - 22 Nov 1268) who married Alice Hansard and this William le Latimer's father was William le Latimer (circa 1200 - circa 1270). I have not completed my research for primary source documents to prove (or disprove) the
    genealogy presented in this paragraph so I am going to stop my discussion here.

If I have something wrong in the genealogy I present or I am presuming, I would appreciate being set straight. Please cite your source to support any error or correction you are stating.

Thanks.

Bob Allen

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)