• Tanner's reconstruction of Ponthieu and St Pol

From taf@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jan 17 16:52:02 2023
    While looking for something else, I recently came across a 2004 book by Heather Tanner: Families, Friends and Allies: Boulogne and Politics in Northern France and England c. 879-1160 on Google Books. In addition to the Boulogne counts, it gives a good
    bit of information on affilliated families, such as the counts of Ponthieu and of St Pol, and has extensive genealogical tables. Of note, she makes Hugh I of St Pol the younger brother of Enguerrand and Guy of Ponthieu (whereas the older reconstruction
    had Hugh marrying a Ponthieu daughter).

Unfortunately, the Google preview is too disjointed and random for me to even figure out what is being proposed. Anyone else out there with better access who can summarize and critique her argument?

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to taf on Wed Jan 18 12:16:55 2023
    On 18-Jan-23 11:52 AM, taf wrote:
    While looking for something else, I recently came across a 2004 book by Heather Tanner: Families, Friends and Allies: Boulogne and Politics in Northern France and England c. 879-1160 on Google Books. In addition to the Boulogne counts, it gives a good
    bit of information on affilliated families, such as the counts of Ponthieu and of St Pol, and has extensive genealogical tables. Of note, she makes Hugh I of St Pol the younger brother of Enguerrand and Guy of Ponthieu (whereas the older reconstruction
    had Hugh marrying a Ponthieu daughter).

Unfortunately, the Google preview is too disjointed and random for me to even figure out what is being proposed. Anyone else out there with better access who can summarize and critique her argument?

I have a copy but haven't looked at it for years, and my memory hasn't
    exactly improved in the meantime - on a quick glance I suppose the nub
    of the case is on p. 107 note 153:

"Feuchere argues that Roger (d. 1067) was succeeded by his son Hugh I
    (d. c. 1070), who in turn was succeeded by his son Guy I (c. 1070–post
    1078) and his brother Hugh II (post 1078–c. 1118). There is no evidence
    that Roger had a son Hugh; his known sons are Manasses and Robert. I
    prefer Haigneré's interpretation that Guy and Hugh who are referred to
    in Gregory's letter are Guy of Ponthieu and his brother Hugh. Haigneré's interpretation is based on a 1091 charter of Abbot Jean of St Bertin;
    the witnesses include 'Wido comes Pontivensis, frater ejus Hugo comes de
    Sancto Paulo,' (Haigneré 1886): no. 87."

Peter Stewart

--
    This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software.
    www.avg.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From taf@21:1/5 to pss...@optusnet.com.au on Tue Jan 17 18:18:28 2023
    On Tuesday, January 17, 2023 at 5:16:57 PM UTC-8, pss...@optusnet.com.au wrote:
    While looking for something else, I recently came across a 2004 book by Heather Tanner: Families, Friends and Allies: Boulogne and Politics in Northern France and England c. 879-1160 on Google Books. In addition to the Boulogne counts, it gives a
    good bit of information on affilliated families, such as the counts of Ponthieu and of St Pol, and has extensive genealogical tables. Of note, she makes Hugh I of St Pol the younger brother of Enguerrand and Guy of Ponthieu (whereas the older
    reconstruction had Hugh marrying a Ponthieu daughter).

I have a copy but haven't looked at it for years, and my memory hasn't exactly improved in the meantime - on a quick glance I suppose the nub

(d. c. 1070), who in turn was succeeded by his son Guy I (c. 1070–post 1078) and his brother Hugh II (post 1078–c. 1118). There is no evidence that Roger had a son Hugh; his known sons are Manasses and Robert. I
    in Gregory's letter are Guy of Ponthieu and his brother Hugh. Haigneré's interpretation is based on a 1091 charter of Abbot Jean of St Bertin;
    the witnesses include 'Wido comes Pontivensis, frater ejus Hugo comes de Sancto Paulo,' (Haigneré 1886): no. 87."

Thanks. The Haigneré theory is here: https://books.google.com/books?id=OyIKAAAAIAAJ&pg=PR52
    with the charter text here: https://books.google.com/books?id=DqdhGgigKlgC&pg=PA34

If I am understaning this theory correctly, it is the man historically referred to as Hugh II, now renumbered Hugh I, who is the proposed Ponthieu scion, with Hugh I being a genealogical invention to bridge bridge from Roger to the two brothers (or
    perhaps splitting on Hugh into father and son). As with all such renumbering, that will result in no end of chaos.

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to taf on Wed Jan 18 15:04:28 2023
    On 18-Jan-23 1:18 PM, taf wrote:
    While looking for something else, I recently came across a 2004 book by Heather Tanner: Families, Friends and Allies: Boulogne and Politics in Northern France and England c. 879-1160 on Google Books. In addition to the Boulogne counts, it gives a
    good bit of information on affilliated families, such as the counts of Ponthieu and of St Pol, and has extensive genealogical tables. Of note, she makes Hugh I of St Pol the younger brother of Enguerrand and Guy of Ponthieu (whereas the older

in Gregory's letter are Guy of Ponthieu and his brother Hugh. Haigneré's
    interpretation is based on a 1091 charter of Abbot Jean of St Bertin;

Thanks. The Haigneré theory is here: https://books.google.com/books?id=OyIKAAAAIAAJ&pg=PR52
    with the charter text here: https://books.google.com/books?id=DqdhGgigKlgC&pg=PA34

If I am understaning this theory correctly, it is the man historically referred to as Hugh II, now renumbered Hugh I, who is the proposed Ponthieu scion, with Hugh I being a genealogical invention to bridge bridge from Roger to the two brothers (or
    perhaps splitting on Hugh into father and son). As with all such renumbering, that will result in no end of chaos.

Haigneré published the 1091 charter and his opinion about Hugo of
    Saint-Pol as brother of Guido of Ponthieu in 1886, but he may have
    revised this subsequently (he died in 1893, so maybe did not get a
    chance to address this in print). In 1892 he published a charter for
    Beaurain priory dated 1095 witnessed by Hugo with his son Enguerrand,
    see here https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k32100611/f274.item. On
    pp. 251-252 the charter is witnessed by Guido, count of Ponthieu, his brother-in-law Hugo and the latter's son Enguerrand ("Guido, comes
    Ponticensis ... Hugo, gener comitis ejusdem. Ingelrannus, filius ejus").

It seems to me far more plausible that a brother-in-law Hugo was called "frater" in 1091 than that a brother would be called "gener" in 1095, especially when the latter is further identifiable along with his son.

Peter Stewart

--
    www.avg.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to taf on Wed Jan 18 18:25:28 2023
    On 18-Jan-23 1:18 PM, taf wrote:

in Gregory's letter are Guy of Ponthieu and his brother Hugh. Haigneré's
    interpretation is based on a 1091 charter of Abbot Jean of St Bertin;

Hugh I the father of counts Guy I and Hugh II of Saint-Pol is usually identified with Hugh the Old whom Lambert of Ardres (writing at the end
    of the 12th/beginning of the 13th century) called count of Saint-Pol.
    According to this version, Hugh the Old was married to a lady named
    Clemencia and died before his sons were old enough to rule so that his
    widow was advised to marry Arnold of Ardres in order to provide a
    capable count-regent until they came of age.

If true this took place between 1067 and 1075, when the brothers occur together, and Hugh I was the first of two sons-in-law of Clemencia's
    father who is assumed to be Roger, presumably lord of Saint-Pol.

Hugh II of Saint-Pol was either brother (if Lambert of Ardres was wrong
    and the 1091 charter literally correct) or brother-in-law (if Lambert
    may be right and the 1095 charter is correct) of Guy I of Ponthieu.

Too many Hughs, too little certainty.

Peter Stewart

--
    www.avg.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mike davis@21:1/5 to pss...@optusnet.com.au on Thu Jan 19 16:56:30 2023
    On Wednesday, January 18, 2023 at 1:16:57 AM UTC, pss...@optusnet.com.au wrote:

Does this elaborate on the descent of Eustace I [d1047] from Adalolf of Boulogne [d933]?

On wiki the descent of the counts of Boulogne is thus

Adalolf 918-33 m X
    |
    Arnulf II 964-72 [the interregnum is due to Arnulf of Flanders seizing Boulogne for himself apparently after Adalolf was killed by a swineherd]
    |
    Arnulf III 972-90
    |
    Baldwin 990-c.1027 m Adelina of Holland
    |
    Eustace I m Matilda of Louvain

I'm particularly interested in what evidence there for the links between Adalolf and baldwin.
    And who was Adelina of Holland? As the wiki page for Eustace I refs Tanners 1992 and 2004 works
    on the subject I wonder if either of these have material evidence for this line and whether she
    is the source for this descent, or has she just copied this from older works?

French wiki has Arnulf II rebelling against Arnulf the Old in 962 and become count on the latters
    death, he has a brother Hugh of St pol who dies in the revolt, but here Arnulf II dies 971. His
    son Arnulf III 971-90 succeeded him and he had another son Eustace who was buried with him
    at St.Samer. But the sources for all this are

Andre Duchesne Histoire généalogique des maisons de Guines, d'Ardres, etc 1632,
    Alain Lottin Histoire de Boulogne sur Mer, and
    Andrew Bridgeford the secret history of the Bayeux tapistry p386.

I hope Tanners refs are better than these.

Arnulf III was the father of Baldwin but this man dies in 1033 killed by Enguerrand de Ponthieu
    [dc1045] who then married baldwins widow! According to french wiki Enguerrand was still a
    child in 1026 and was under the guardian of his uncle Enguerrand of St.Riquier, so I dont see
    how he could have killed Baldwin in c1027. I wonder where this date comes from?

Elsewhere on the internet theres mention of Ernicule of Boulogne father of a Eustace,
    another Arnulf and a Matilda who marries Ardolf of Guines from a source called Lambert of
    Ardres who wrote 200 years later. Was this Ernicule perhaps the same as 1 of the Arnulfs?
    But if Ernicule is part of this family and Ardolf of Guines was the son of Sigfrid Dacus of
    Guines and Elftrude of Flanders surely this marriage was way too close [2nd cousins?] to
    be allowed if Elftrude was the daughter of Arnulf the old?

I'm also intrigued as to where the name Eustace came from. Is it present in noble families
    before 1000AD? It seems greek in origin. The only Eustaces I recall is the roman martyr and
    the 1 in Narnia.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to mike davis on Fri Jan 20 13:23:54 2023
    On 20-Jan-23 11:56 AM, mike davis wrote:

Does this elaborate on the descent of Eustace I [d1047] from Adalolf of Boulogne [d933]?

Adalolf 918-33 m X
    |
    Arnulf II 964-72 [the interregnum is due to Arnulf of Flanders seizing Boulogne
    for himself apparently after Adalolf was killed by a swineherd]
    |
    Arnulf III 972-90
    |
    |

I'm particularly interested in what evidence there for the links between Adalolf and baldwin.
    And who was Adelina of Holland? As the wiki page for Eustace I refs Tanners 1992 and 2004 works
    on the subject I wonder if either of these have material evidence for this line and whether she

French wiki has Arnulf II rebelling against Arnulf the Old in 962 and become count on the latters
    death, he has a brother Hugh of St pol who dies in the revolt, but here Arnulf II dies 971. His
    son Arnulf III 971-90 succeeded him and he had another son Eustace who was buried with him

Arnulf III was the father of Baldwin but this man dies in 1033 killed by Enguerrand de Ponthieu
    [dc1045] who then married baldwins widow! According to french wiki Enguerrand was still a
    child in 1026 and was under the guardian of his uncle Enguerrand of St.Riquier, so I dont see

Elsewhere on the internet theres mention of Ernicule of Boulogne father of a Eustace,
    another Arnulf and a Matilda who marries Ardolf of Guines from a source called Lambert of
    Ardres who wrote 200 years later. Was this Ernicule perhaps the same as 1 of the Arnulfs?
    But if Ernicule is part of this family and Ardolf of Guines was the son of Sigfrid Dacus of
    Guines and Elftrude of Flanders surely this marriage was way too close [2nd cousins?] to

I'm also intrigued as to where the name Eustace came from. Is it present in noble families
    before 1000AD? It seems greek in origin. The only Eustaces I recall is the roman martyr and
    the 1 in Narnia.

Perhaps it would be helpful to read Stewart Baldwin's remarks in this
    thread from 2004: https://groups.google.com/g/soc.genealogy.medieval/c/wqB-06EJASs.

Maybe this will at least reduce the scope of questions in your post today.

Peter Stewart

--
    www.avg.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mike davis@21:1/5 to pss...@optusnet.com.au on Sat Jan 21 15:41:48 2023
    On Friday, January 20, 2023 at 2:23:58 AM UTC, pss...@optusnet.com.au wrote:

Adalolf 918-33 m X
    |
    |
    Arnulf III 972-90
    |
    |

the 1 in Narnia.
    thread from 2004: https://groups.google.com/g/soc.genealogy.medieval/c/wqB-06EJASs.

Maybe this will at least reduce the scope of questions in your post today. Peter Stewart

thanks. i dunno why this thread didnt come up when i searched group discussions about boulogne.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From taf@21:1/5 to mike davis on Sat Jan 21 16:01:38 2023
    On Saturday, January 21, 2023 at 3:41:50 PM UTC-8, mike davis wrote:

thanks. i dunno why this thread didnt come up when i searched group discussions
    about boulogne.

Google search tools seem to be becoming progressively more flaky as they try to optimize them for showing you exactly what they think you should want, rather than what you actually want. There have been times when I have been looking at a post with
    specific words in it, searched for those precise words, and been told there are no matches. Similar occurrances in Google Books - they include a couple of surrounding sentences for each on the match page, and every once in a while I can directly copy and
    paste a short string from that returned result, search for it in quotes, and be told there is nothing with that string).

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From taf@21:1/5 to pss...@optusnet.com.au on Sun Jan 22 11:57:21 2023
    On Thursday, January 19, 2023 at 6:23:58 PM UTC-8, pss...@optusnet.com.au wrote:

Adalolf 918-33 m X
    |
    |
    Arnulf III 972-90
    |
    |

the 1 in Narnia.

Maybe this will at least reduce the scope of questions in your post today. Peter Stewart

--
    This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software. www.avg.com

As long as we are talking about Ponthieu, Cawley in his discussion of Guy I, states the following:
    "A charter dated 1100 included in the cartulary of Saint-Josse records a grant of fishing rights by 'Guido comes Monsteroli et Pontivensium' which names 'Hugo noster avus' and 'patre meo Ingerrano'", for which he gives as reference, "Chronique de l'
    abbaye de Saint-Riquier, 'Remarques', p. lxvii, which does not cite the reference of the cartulary of Saint-Josse."

This is odd, given that according to Orderic, Guy was fighting in 1054, when any son of Enguerrand must have still been in his nappies. So, forged charter that got the details wrong? misread? completely made up?

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to taf on Mon Jan 23 09:23:18 2023
    On 23-Jan-23 6:57 AM, taf wrote:
    On Thursday, January 19, 2023 at 6:23:58 PM UTC-8, pss...@optusnet.com.au wrote:

Adalolf 918-33 m X
    |
    |
    Arnulf III 972-90
    |
    |

the 1 in Narnia.
    thread from 2004:
    https://groups.google.com/g/soc.genealogy.medieval/c/wqB-06EJASs.

Maybe this will at least reduce the scope of questions in your post today. >> Peter Stewart

--
    www.avg.com

As long as we are talking about Ponthieu, Cawley in his discussion of Guy I, states the following:
    "A charter dated 1100 included in the cartulary of Saint-Josse records a grant of fishing rights by 'Guido comes Monsteroli et Pontivensium' which names 'Hugo noster avus' and 'patre meo Ingerrano'", for which he gives as reference, "Chronique de l'
    abbaye de Saint-Riquier, 'Remarques', p. lxvii, which does not cite the reference of the cartulary of Saint-Josse."

This is odd, given that according to Orderic, Guy was fighting in 1054, when any son of Enguerrand must have still been in his nappies. So, forged charter that got the details wrong? misread? completely made up?

Need it be said that Medieval Lands is not worth quoting? Cawley's
    propensity to misrepresent what is actually in materials he reads (if
    that is an accurate term for his directing of eyes over words) is
    constantly baffling.

In this case, on p. lvii of the book in question it says: "Cette charte
    se trouve dans le cartulaire de Saint-Josse" - presumably Cawley meant
    to write that it does not cite a folio reference in the cartulary - as
    if he would seek it out or know what he was looking at if he did.

For the record it is charter no. 4 in this mid-13th-century compilation
    held in the archives of the Pas de Calais, on folio 2v (for anyone
    interested, it is top left of vue 5 here: https://archivesenligne.pasdecalais.fr/v2/ad62/visualiseur/registre.html?ir=11044&id=193841215).
    It is a certainly forgery: a pseudo-original probably existed from which
    the cartularist copied the crudely-written text, but if so it is no
    longer extant.

Guy I of Ponthieu (died 1100) was actually a younger son of Hugo II
    (died 1043/48), not his grandson; Enguerrand II (died 1053) was Hugo's
    elder brother, not his father - so yet again the genealogy presented by
    Cawley is as unhelpful as his research is incompetent.

Peter Stewart

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From taf@21:1/5 to pss...@optusnet.com.au on Sun Jan 22 15:00:09 2023
    On Sunday, January 22, 2023 at 2:23:21 PM UTC-8, pss...@optusnet.com.au wrote:

I have a copy but haven't looked at it for years, and my memory hasn't >>>

Adalolf 918-33 m X
    |
    |
    Arnulf III 972-90
    |
    |

the 1 in Narnia.
    thread from 2004:

Maybe this will at least reduce the scope of questions in your post today.
    Peter Stewart

--
    www.avg.com

Need it be said that Medieval Lands is not worth quoting?

It should only be quoted for forensic purposes (as in, how the hell did he manage to murder this).

Thanks for the clarification. I have been dealing with someone elsewhere insisting that Guy was son of Enguerrand because . . . MedLands, and is not accepting 'it is absurd on its face given the documented timeline for Guy'.

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to taf on Mon Jan 23 10:24:00 2023
    On 23-Jan-23 10:00 AM, taf wrote:

I have a copy but haven't looked at it for years, and my memory hasn't >>>>>

Adalolf 918-33 m X
    |
    |
    Arnulf III 972-90
    |
    |

the 1 in Narnia.
    thread from 2004:

Maybe this will at least reduce the scope of questions in your post today. >>>> Peter Stewart

--
    www.avg.com

It should only be quoted for forensic purposes (as in, how the hell did he manage to murder this).

Yes, I didn't mean this as a dig at your post but just in frustration
    that we are once again obliged to contemplate some smelly tripe from
    MedLands. A self-repecting "Foundation for Medieval Genealogy" would
    have taken this off their website long ago - but instead, as I
    understand it, Cawley has now become the director. That is no way to
    honour Charles Evans, in whose memory the enterprise was conceived.

Thanks for the clarification. I have been dealing with someone elsewhere insisting that Guy was son of Enguerrand because . . . MedLands, and is not accepting 'it is absurd on its face given the documented timeline for Guy'.

The forged charter has the same witnesses and dating as an
    unexceptionable one of Guido I which does not name his father or
    grandfather, on folio 2r in the same cartulary, see no. 2 on vue 4 here
    (a better URL than I gave before): http://archivesenligne.pasdecalais.fr/v2/ark:/64297/7d93c23a980ef154a43ae6f4ff647c8e.

Peter Stewart

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to taf on Mon Jan 23 16:50:12 2023

I have a copy but haven't looked at it for years, and my memory hasn't >>>>>

Adalolf 918-33 m X
    |
    |
    Arnulf III 972-90
    |
    |

the 1 in Narnia.
    thread from 2004:

Maybe this will at least reduce the scope of questions in your post today. >>>> Peter Stewart

--
    www.avg.com

Cawley is of course a serial killer of genealogical data - I just looked
    at the Medieval Lands entry for Guy I of Ponthieu and found this deadly blather:

"m firstly ADA, daughter of --- (-5 Mar before 1066) ... m secondly
    ADILA [Ada], daughter of ---. ... Comte Guy & his [first] wife had one
    child: 1. ANNE ... Comte Guy & his [second] wife had four children: 2. ENGUERRAND ... 3. AGNES ... 4. IDA ... 5. MATHILDE"

There is no evidence for two wives of the same name - Guy's only
    recorded wife Ada (aka Adila, Adda) was the mother of his three known
    children. Agnes, the elder daughter and heiress through whom Ponthieu
    passed to the Montgomery lineage, was also called Anna (just like King
    Henri I's Kievan queen after whom she was probably named) so that
    dividing her into two different women is a nonsense. There is no proof
    that Ida belonged in this family, which is just speculation. Enguerrand
    and Mathilde died unmarried.

Shortly before Guy died on 13 October 1100 he issued two charters for
    Abbeville priory referring to the advice of his wife Ad(d)a ("Adde, mee conjugis, fideliumque meorum persuasus consilio" and "Ade mee conjugis fideliumque meorum persuasus ammonitione"). The first of these is dated
    6 October 1100, the second in 1100 without a specific date. This has led
    some careless scanners of Latin documents to suppose that the wife in
    question must have been living at the time, and consequently that she
    could not be identical with the mother of Agnes who was said in the unexceptionable charter for Saint-Josse linked upthread to have died
    before 1100.

However, reading through the Abbeville priory charters it is explicit
    that Ad(d)a was dead and buried between the time she had given advice
    for the construction of the priory and the date of issuing the charters
    by Guy in 1100 ("a die obitus conjugis mee Adde" in the first and "in
    die sepulture Ade, uxoris mee" in the second).

O what a tangled web is woven by over-extended charlatans.

Peter Stewart

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to Peter Stewart on Wed Jan 25 09:47:19 2023
    On 23-Jan-23 4:50 PM, Peter Stewart wrote:
    On Sunday, January 22, 2023 at 2:23:21 PM UTC-8,
    pss...@optusnet.com.au wrote:
    On Thursday, January 19, 2023 at 6:23:58 PM UTC-8,
    On Wednesday, January 18, 2023 at 1:16:57 AM UTC,
    While looking for something else, I recently came across a 2004 >>>>>>>> book by Heather Tanner: Families, Friends and Allies: Boulogne >>>>>>>> and Politics in Northern France and England c. 879-1160 on
    Google Books. In addition to the Boulogne counts, it gives a
    good bit of information on affilliated families, such as the
    counts of Ponthieu and of St Pol, and has extensive genealogical >>>>>>>> tables. Of note, she makes Hugh I of St Pol the younger brother >>>>>>>> of Enguerrand and Guy of Ponthieu (whereas the older

Unfortunately, the Google preview is too disjointed and random >>>>>>>> for me to even figure out what is being proposed. Anyone else
    out there with better access who can summarize and critique her >>>>>>>> argument?
    I have a copy but haven't looked at it for years, and my memory
    hasn't

Does this elaborate on the descent of Eustace I [d1047] from
    Adalolf of Boulogne [d933]?

Adalolf 918-33 m X
    |
    Arnulf II 964-72 [the interregnum is due to Arnulf of Flanders
    seizing Boulogne
    |
    Arnulf III 972-90
    |
    |

I'm particularly interested in what evidence there for the links
    between Adalolf and baldwin.
    And who was Adelina of Holland? As the wiki page for Eustace I
    refs Tanners 1992 and 2004 works
    on the subject I wonder if either of these have material evidence
    for this line and whether she
    is the source for this descent, or has she just copied this from
    older works?

French wiki has Arnulf II rebelling against Arnulf the Old in 962
    and become count on the latters
    death, he has a brother Hugh of St pol who dies in the revolt, but >>>>>> here Arnulf II dies 971. His
    son Arnulf III 971-90 succeeded him and he had another son Eustace >>>>>> who was buried with him

Andre Duchesne Histoire généalogique des maisons de Guines,
    d'Ardres, etc 1632,

Arnulf III was the father of Baldwin but this man dies in 1033
    killed by Enguerrand de Ponthieu
    [dc1045] who then married baldwins widow! According to french wiki >>>>>> Enguerrand was still a
    child in 1026 and was under the guardian of his uncle Enguerrand
    of St.Riquier, so I dont see
    how he could have killed Baldwin in c1027. I wonder where this
    date comes from?

Elsewhere on the internet theres mention of Ernicule of Boulogne
    father of a Eustace,
    another Arnulf and a Matilda who marries Ardolf of Guines from a
    source called Lambert of
    Ardres who wrote 200 years later. Was this Ernicule perhaps the
    same as 1 of the Arnulfs?
    But if Ernicule is part of this family and Ardolf of Guines was
    the son of Sigfrid Dacus of
    Guines and Elftrude of Flanders surely this marriage was way too
    close [2nd cousins?] to

I'm also intrigued as to where the name Eustace came from. Is it
    present in noble families
    before 1000AD? It seems greek in origin. The only Eustaces I
    recall is the roman martyr and
    the 1 in Narnia.
    Perhaps it would be helpful to read Stewart Baldwin's remarks in this >>>>> thread from 2004:

Maybe this will at least reduce the scope of questions in your post
    today.
    Peter Stewart

--
    www.avg.com

As long as we are talking about Ponthieu, Cawley in his discussion
    of Guy I, states the following:
    "A charter dated 1100 included in the cartulary of Saint-Josse
    records a grant of fishing rights by 'Guido comes Monsteroli et
    Pontivensium' which names 'Hugo noster avus' and 'patre meo
    Ingerrano'", for which he gives as reference, "Chronique de l'abbaye
    de Saint-Riquier, 'Remarques', p. lxvii, which does not cite the
    reference of the cartulary of Saint-Josse."

This is odd, given that according to Orderic, Guy was fighting in
    1054, when any son of Enguerrand must have still been in his
    nappies. So, forged charter that got the details wrong? misread?
    completely made up?

It should only be quoted for forensic purposes (as in, how the hell
    did he manage to murder this).

Cawley is of course a serial killer of genealogical data - I just looked
    at the Medieval Lands entry for Guy I of Ponthieu and found this deadly blather:

"m firstly ADA, daughter of --- (-5 Mar before 1066) ... m secondly
    ADILA [Ada], daughter of ---. ... Comte Guy & his [first] wife had one
    child: 1. ANNE ... Comte Guy & his [second] wife had four children: 2. ENGUERRAND ... 3. AGNES ... 4. IDA ... 5. MATHILDE"

There is no evidence for two wives of the same name - Guy's only
    recorded wife Ada (aka Adila, Adda) was the mother of his three known children.

The confident assertion that Guy I of Ponthieu had a first wife named
    Ada or Adela who died (on 5 March) before 1066 was all over the internet
    before it was polluted by Medieval Lands.

This error comes from Ernest Prarond in *Les Comtes de Ponthieu: Gui
    Ier, 1053-1100* (1900), p. 35, where he thought that Guy had been a
    widower in 1066 when he restored the estate of Robecourt, which had been expropriated by countess Adela, to the church of Saint-Martin at
    Picquigny for the remission of her sins.

Prarond was paraphrasing from a history of the counts of Ponthieu
    written in the 17th century by Du Cange, where there is no statement
    about whether Adela was living or dead at the time of Guy's 1066
    charter. Du Cange had seen this in the Chambre des comptes in Paris, but
    it has been lost since (no extant 11th century documents remain in the
    archives from there).

Saint-Martin church had been the chapel of Picquigny castle until it was established as a collegiate church in 1066. One of the properties
    donated at this time was a quarter of Robecourt ("quartam partem villae
    Roberti curtis"). Du Cange's account suggests that Guy gave back the
    whole rather than a part of the estate. If Robecourt had been taken from
    the chapel of Saint-Martin some time before Guy restored it to the new collegiate church in 1066, and he had held it in the interval by right
    of his wife, he would presumably have included himself in the expiation
    along with her, assuming she was the culprit countess whose wrongdoing
    was to be redressed. In any case, since Saint-Martin was endowed by its founders with a quarter of Robecourt in 1066, the Adela in question may
    have been his living wife who had objected to sharing her own part of
    the estate with the canons and so briefly caused the donated quarter to
    be withheld until Guy intervened to give it back, apparently along with
    the remainder. If the other three quarters had been part of his wife's
    dowry, this perhaps indicates that she belonged to the seigneurial
    family of Picquigny. But that is just speculation.

According to the (also now lost) obituary of Saint-Pierre priory at
    Abbeville, where Guy I who died on 13 October 1100 was buried, his wife
    Adela died before him on a 5 March and was buried at Saint-Josse. There
    is no implication in the independent reporting of this in the 17th
    century by Du Cange and Jacques Sanson (Père Ignace-Joseph de
    Jésus-Maria) that it refers to a namesake first wife who had died long
    before rather than to Ada aka Adela, evidently his only wife, the mother
    of his three recorded children, whom we know from Guy's charters was
    dead by 1100.

Peter Stewart

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05