• Gesta Wulinensis and Sweyn Forkbeard's father

From Jean de Huit@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jan 17 12:33:07 2023
    Hello,

Long time lurker, first time poster here. During a recent Wikipedia visit (not a worthwhile use of time, I know), there is purportedly new evidence claiming Sweyn Forkbeard's father was not Harald Bluetooth, but instead a certain Knut, brother of Harald.
    I found this extremely surprising and I was immediately cautious given how sensational claims about Medieval genealogy are rarely backed up with adequate evidence.

Supposedly, evidence for this claim was discovered by Sven Rosborn in 2021 while translating a chronicle discovered in Germany in 2019, entitled "Gesta Wulinensis ecclesiae pontificum" by a certain Avico in 990. Rosborn appears to be an archeologist, not
    a Medievalist, leaving me with more doubts that this chronicle (if reliable) has been correctly translated and interpreted by Rosborn.

That said, I have not had a chance yet to consult this chronicle or Rosborn's book, "The Viking King’s Golden Treasure" (another reason to be suspicious, in my view), so I cannot dismiss them entirely out of hand.

If this has been discussed in the newsgroup before, I cannot see it, and so I apologize if I'm bringing up something that has already been settled.

Jean

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From taf@21:1/5 to luniverse...@gmail.com on Tue Jan 17 13:51:28 2023
    On Tuesday, January 17, 2023 at 12:33:08 PM UTC-8, luniverse...@gmail.com wrote:
    Hello,

Long time lurker, first time poster here. During a recent Wikipedia visit (not a worthwhile use of time, I know), there is purportedly new evidence claiming Sweyn Forkbeard's father was not Harald Bluetooth, but instead a certain Knut, brother of
    Harald. I found this extremely surprising and I was immediately cautious given how sensational claims about Medieval genealogy are rarely backed up with adequate evidence.

Supposedly, evidence for this claim was discovered by Sven Rosborn in 2021 while translating a chronicle discovered in Germany in 2019, entitled "Gesta Wulinensis ecclesiae pontificum" by a certain Avico in 990. Rosborn appears to be an archeologist,
    not a Medievalist, leaving me with more doubts that this chronicle (if reliable) has been correctly translated and interpreted by Rosborn.

That said, I have not had a chance yet to consult this chronicle or Rosborn's book, "The Viking King’s Golden Treasure" (another reason to be suspicious, in my view), so I cannot dismiss them entirely out of hand.

I had similar concerns over Rosborn's work (which I have only been able to view as Google Books snippets), and in particular how he announced the discovery in a popular-audience book, where he used it as a prop for his view of the 10th century Baltic,
    rather than reporting the discovery of a new primary source in a scholarly venue. A historian would have immediately began an effort to publish an annotated and translated version of the chronicle, but Rosborn seems to lack the linguistic expertise to
    produce an annotated version with translation into a more accessible language. The surviving manuscript is a Polish translation of the original Latin, and Rosborn is working from a translation of that Polish into another language (I don't recall which)
    done for him. An appropriate edition in a Western European language would require the scholar preparing it to be familiar with Latin, Polish, and whatever the final language is to be, which Rosborn isn't.

On a separate note, this represents one of the flaws in how Wikipedia functions (as opposed to how it is supposed to function). There is no way one author's revision of an accepted pedigree should receive any mention on a Wikipedia page unless/until it
    gets noticed by others in the field, even if it was published in a scholarly venue (which this was not). Most Wikipedia editors use the lax standard that any wild theory published by a scholar is worthy of mention as long as it can be cited, when
    scholars regularly send up trial balloons in one paper that are subsequently ignored, even by the original author, and as such not noteworthy in a summary article of the current understanding, which is what Wikipedia is supposed to be. However, try to
    take it out and it will be restored as 'cited material'. I would put the dubious proposition that Earl Siward and Jarl Ulf were related because they both had bear stories told about their ancestry, when it is much more likely this commonality arose from
    the documented confusion between Bjorn Bereson and Earl Beorn, made by the author of the Gesta Waldevi. A single published scholarly paper proposing something novel is not the same as a noteworthy interpretation. But Wikipedia being Wikipedia, it gets
    prominent mention on Siward's page, then copied across the internet genealogy echo chamber.

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to Jean de Huit on Wed Jan 18 09:17:56 2023
    On 18-Jan-23 7:33 AM, Jean de Huit wrote:
    Hello,

Long time lurker, first time poster here. During a recent Wikipedia visit (not a worthwhile use of time, I know), there is purportedly new evidence claiming Sweyn Forkbeard's father was not Harald Bluetooth, but instead a certain Knut, brother of
    Harald. I found this extremely surprising and I was immediately cautious given how sensational claims about Medieval genealogy are rarely backed up with adequate evidence.

Supposedly, evidence for this claim was discovered by Sven Rosborn in 2021 while translating a chronicle discovered in Germany in 2019, entitled "Gesta Wulinensis ecclesiae pontificum" by a certain Avico in 990. Rosborn appears to be an archeologist,
    not a Medievalist, leaving me with more doubts that this chronicle (if reliable) has been correctly translated and interpreted by Rosborn.

If this has been discussed in the newsgroup before, I cannot see it, and so I apologize if I'm bringing up something that has already been settled.

The purported chronicle "Gesta Wulinensis ecclesiae pontificum",
    supposedly written by a chaplain of Harald Bluetooth, is very likely a
    hoax. The discovery in 2019 was not of an actual chronicle text in
    Latin, capable of being studied by medievalists, but rather of fragments allegedly translated into Polish from a lost manuscript in the 19th
    century. Strangely, echoes of Thietmar of Merseburg's genuine chronicle, written decades later, have been discerned in these extracts from the supposedly earlier history by "Avico".

The rest of the story surrounding this is scarcely more plausible than
    this nebulous documentary basis for Sveyn Forkbeard's paternity.

Peter Stewart

--
    This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software.
    www.avg.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jean de Huit@21:1/5 to taf on Tue Jan 17 14:30:20 2023
    On Tuesday, January 17, 2023 at 4:51:30 PM UTC-5, taf wrote:
    I had similar concerns over Rosborn's work (which I have only been able to view as Google Books snippets), and in particular how he announced the discovery in a popular-audience book, where he used it as a prop for his view of the 10th century Baltic,
    rather than reporting the discovery of a new primary source in a scholarly venue. A historian would have immediately began an effort to publish an annotated and translated version of the chronicle, but Rosborn seems to lack the linguistic expertise to
    produce an annotated version with translation into a more accessible language. The surviving manuscript is a Polish translation of the original Latin, and Rosborn is working from a translation of that Polish into another language (I don't recall which)
    done for him. An appropriate edition in a Western European language would require the scholar preparing it to be familiar with Latin, Polish, and whatever the final language is to be, which Rosborn isn't.

Interesting! I try not to judge books by their covers, but something about the title and cover of Rosborn's book wasn't sitting right with me. Obviously academics have to 'sell' their books too (and they're hardly infallible regarding genealogical
    details either), but the book seemed to be marketed squarely as 'pop history,' which doesn't have a great track record for these things. Especially when the fudged details of the translation (a Scandinavian translation of a Polish translation of a Latin '
    original') makes it difficult to check his work.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jean de Huit@21:1/5 to pss...@optusnet.com.au on Tue Jan 17 14:39:38 2023
    On Tuesday, January 17, 2023 at 5:17:58 PM UTC-5, pss...@optusnet.com.au wrote:

Latin, capable of being studied by medievalists, but rather of fragments allegedly translated into Polish from a lost manuscript in the 19th
    century. Strangely, echoes of Thietmar of Merseburg's genuine chronicle, written decades later, have been discerned in these extracts from the supposedly earlier history by "Avico".

The plot thickens. It's certainly a hallmark of hoaxes and forgers to prepare their works on fragments (sometimes obtained from genuine blank leaves of Medieval parchment or ancient papyrus) and attempt to recreate known lost works, to give their
    forgeries an air of authenticity. Not to mention that the supposed author would have been so immediate as to have known the subject himself! That seems far too good to be true given how chronicles were usually composed.

Thank you both for your enlightening replies! I will have to remember not to give it any undue weight in the future and bring up these points to those that do (assuming I run into anyone in the wild who mentions it).

Jean

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to Jean de Huit on Wed Jan 18 10:20:55 2023
    On 18-Jan-23 9:39 AM, Jean de Huit wrote:

Latin, capable of being studied by medievalists, but rather of fragments
    allegedly translated into Polish from a lost manuscript in the 19th
    century. Strangely, echoes of Thietmar of Merseburg's genuine chronicle,
    written decades later, have been discerned in these extracts from the
    supposedly earlier history by "Avico".

The plot thickens. It's certainly a hallmark of hoaxes and forgers to prepare their works on fragments (sometimes obtained from genuine blank leaves of Medieval parchment or ancient papyrus) and attempt to recreate known lost works, to give their
    forgeries an air of authenticity. Not to mention that the supposed author would have been so immediate as to have known the subject himself! That seems far too good to be true given how chronicles were usually composed.

In this case the "author" Avico must have been an eye-witness to Danish
    events as a visitor from elsewhere or perhaps a revenant spirit -
    Thietmar mentioned him as a chaplain to the Obotrite chieftain Mistui,
    and later his own "spiritual brother", noting that Avico had told him
    about a miracle at Hamburg when the golden hand of Christ reached down
    from heaven into the fire as Mistui burned the city. No mention of
    Harald. Avico is entered in the necrology of the Merseburg cathedral
    chapter on 7 October, evidently in 981 or 992 calculated from the Easter
    date. His eyes cannot have been very sharp when he sat down to write a chronicle in the 990s that miraculouly draws from Thietmar's written in
    the 1010s.

Peter Stewart

--
    www.avg.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to taf on Wed Jan 18 12:06:55 2023
    On 18-Jan-23 11:23 AM, taf wrote:
    On Tuesday, January 17, 2023 at 3:20:57 PM UTC-8, pss...@optusnet.com.au wrote:

supposedly written by a chaplain of Harald Bluetooth, is very likely a >>>> hoax. The discovery in 2019 was not of an actual chronicle text in
    Latin, capable of being studied by medievalists, but rather of fragments >>>> allegedly translated into Polish from a lost manuscript in the 19th
    century. Strangely, echoes of Thietmar of Merseburg's genuine chronicle, >>>> written decades later, have been discerned in these extracts from the

In this case the "author" Avico must have been an eye-witness to Danish
    events as a visitor from elsewhere or perhaps a revenant spirit -
    chapter on 7 October, evidently in 981 or 992 calculated from the Easter
    date. His eyes cannot have been very sharp when he sat down to write a
    chronicle in the 990s that miraculouly draws from Thietmar's written in
    the 1010s.

Very suspicious. What are the chances, with all of the people living in this milieu but receiving no mention by contemporary chroniclers, one would discover a long-lost chronicle sharing text with Thietmar's that was written by someone specifically
    mentioned by the same Thietmar. This is another trope of forgers, picking a known but obscure author, rather than an otherwise unknown one, to add a false patina of credibility.

Trying to substantiate a revisionist's off-beat ideas with information
    from a lost source is not unexampled in living memory: for instance,
    Hansmartin Decker-Hauff notoriously did this for Staufer genealogy with fictitious morsels allegedly taken from the Red book of Lorsch abbey
    before it was badly damaged in 1944.

Using a "source" that competent medievalists are unable to examine
    allows for some latitude, since honest scholars are liable to be highly cautious about material they have not seen. It also allows for reversing
    or confusing the order of sources, so that Rosborn might get away with
    claiming that Thietmar's chronicle written in the 1010s echoes the work
    he ascribed to Avico in the late-990s rather than vice versa, or that
    they both had an unknown lost source in common. I'm not sure that any
    specific text was copied from Thietmar, just that some details appear to
    be closer to his account than to any other authentic early sources for
    Danish history.

Peter Stewart

--
    www.avg.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From taf@21:1/5 to pss...@optusnet.com.au on Tue Jan 17 16:23:55 2023
    On Tuesday, January 17, 2023 at 3:20:57 PM UTC-8, pss...@optusnet.com.au wrote:

Latin, capable of being studied by medievalists, but rather of fragments >> allegedly translated into Polish from a lost manuscript in the 19th
    century. Strangely, echoes of Thietmar of Merseburg's genuine chronicle, >> written decades later, have been discerned in these extracts from the

In this case the "author" Avico must have been an eye-witness to Danish events as a visitor from elsewhere or perhaps a revenant spirit -
    chapter on 7 October, evidently in 981 or 992 calculated from the Easter date. His eyes cannot have been very sharp when he sat down to write a chronicle in the 990s that miraculouly draws from Thietmar's written in
    the 1010s.

Very suspicious. What are the chances, with all of the people living in this milieu but receiving no mention by contemporary chroniclers, one would discover a long-lost chronicle sharing text with Thietmar's that was written by someone specifically
    mentioned by the same Thietmar. This is another trope of forgers, picking a known but obscure author, rather than an otherwise unknown one, to add a false patina of credibility.

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05