• Re: Background for St. Owen/Brewes(Braose) Discussion - Long

From Johnny Brananas@21:1/5 to minnma...@yahoo.com on Fri Jan 13 15:28:36 2023
    On Saturday, March 30, 2002 at 5:53:13 PM UTC-5, minnma...@yahoo.com wrote:
    Durin

(I've re-formatted a part of the original posting to make it more legible ...)

The interest in this marriage--for at least myself and Mr. Davis--is in regards to the ancestry of Beatrice Detton (Dodington) of Shropshire. Beatrice is known to have married John Thom(p)son of Sherehouse, Burford Parish, Shropshire. Thomas Thompson,
    son of Beatrice and John, married Ann Welles, daughter of Governor Thomas Welles of Connecticut. These claims are supposedly well documented and accepted in several
    sources.

For our interest, below is a draft pedigree of Beatrice through the Broughtons, Havens, St. Owen, Tirrell, and Downton families of Salop and Herefordshire. The information has been gathered from the Visitations of Shropshire and Herefordshire, Flagg’s
    Genealogical Notes, and publications of the Welles Family Association. Other sources are identified within:

1. Beatrice Detton (Dodington)baptized 21 Jun 1584. Married John Thompson, 12 Apr 1608, Neen Savage, Shropshire.

2. George Detton (Dodington) born about 1552. Married about 1575 Anne, daughter off Walter ap Thomas.
    END of QUOTE.
    ---------

Flagg's _Genealogical Notes_ does make it clear that one of the children of Beatrice (Detton) Thomson was the immigrant to Connecticut. I had speculated here, in postings now removed, that the Anne "ap Thomas" who married George Detton was a kinswoman
    of Judith (Lukin) Ward's probable mother, Thomasine (Ap Walter or Ap Thomas) Lukin of Mashbury, Essex.

An article by the Rev. R. C. Purton on "Detton [Family]" in _Transactions of the Shropshire Archaeological Society_ 4th series, vol. 10 (1925-26), seems to confirm this surmise (or at least further supports it), pp. 258-59:

GEORGE DETTON, son and heir of Robert, married Ann, daughter of Walter ap Thomas of Teyhall. In one of Wm. Mytton's MSS. (cited by Blakeway) she is described as daughter of William Walter of Kerrickhowell, Co. Brecon by Elizabeth Denton of Co. Oxon.
    She was buried at Neen in 1613. During his life-time George Detton conveyed all his lands (except Ingardine) to his son Thomas, who however predeceased him. The following letter is given by Blakeway, and was then in the possession of John Cresset Pelham:
    --

'Right worshipfull my very hartye and humble commendacions unto yor worshippe most hartely remembred with like thankes for yor greate curtesye at all tymes. I have (accordinge to yor worshippes frendly offer) sent this bearer my man unto yow
    desyringe yor worshippe to lend me a corselett to shew to morowe before yor worshippe and the rest of the Justices at Brydnorth, and the bearer hereof at night shall bringe the same backe agayne, for myne owne apperance I hope yor worshippe will pardon
    me. I have but too men in my howse that are able to serve the Quene, the chiefest of them I will send to morow to appear before yor worshippe, the other I know not how well to spare from my cattell, wherefore I am to desyre yor worshippe to have me
    axcused at this tyme fro hym. Thus beinge over bold of yor worshippes frenshippe I commytt yow to the tuycion of the almightye from my poor howse at Detton this present thursday the vjth of Aprill 1587

yor worshippes to commaund
    George Detton

To the right worshipfull Mr. Richard Cresset Esquier at Upton Cressett geve these.'

George Detton was buried at Neen in 1619.

Besides two sons (i) Thomas and (ii) George, of whom more hereafter, George Detton had six daughters viz.:--

(iii) Mary, bapt. at Neen in 1576, waiting gentlewoman to Lady Newport, married at High Ercall in 1613 to Rev. Francis Garbet, and buried at Neen in 1614, leaving an infant son George, who was buried in 1617 at Wroxeter, where his father was Vicar from
    1609 to 1659.

(iv) Frances, bapt. at Neen in 1577, married there in 1598 to Rev. William Berkeley, Rector of Clungunford, where she was buried in 1650.

(v) Catharine, bapt. at Neen in 1579, married there in 1610 to James Wrottesley, who was assessed to Subsidy for lands in Detton in 1628.

(vi) Elizabeth, bapt. at Neen in 1581.

(vii) Beatrice, bapt. at Neen in 1584, married there in 1608 to Richard Thompson. I think this is a mistake for _John_ Thompson, for George, son of John "Tumpsone," was baptized at Neen the following year, and the children of John and Beatrice Thompson
    of Sherehouse were baptized at Burford from 1610. She was buried there in 1650.

(viii) Ann, baptized at Neen in 1589, wife of Richard Griffiths.

END of QUOTE.
    -------------

See ...

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=inu.30000116575667&view=1up&seq=320&q1=%22thomas%20of%20teyhall%22

Ernest Flagg's book mentions the error of Beatrice's groom's first name being recorded as "Richard" rather than "John." It also uses a modified spelling of his surname, Thomson or even Tomson, I believe.

William Mytton's identification of the parentage of Ann Detton as "William Walter of Kerrickhowell, Co. Brecon ... [and] Elizabeth Denton of Co. Oxon" is very helpful, as those were definitely also the parents of Thomasine ([ap] Walter) Lukyn, the
    probable mother of Judith Warde, wife of Edward Warde. Remember that Elizabeth was sometimes interchangeable with Isabel at this time.

The will of Beatrice Detton's husband is this one (apparently unknown to Flagg); it mentions the couple's brother-in-law George Detton.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D887583

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From JBrand@21:1/5 to Johnny Brananas on Sat Jan 14 09:59:58 2023
    On Friday, January 13, 2023 at 6:28:38 PM UTC-5, Johnny Brananas wrote:
    Durin

The interest in this marriage--for at least myself and Mr. Davis--is in regards to the ancestry of Beatrice Detton (Dodington) of Shropshire. Beatrice is known to have married John Thom(p)son of Sherehouse, Burford Parish, Shropshire. Thomas Thompson,
    son of Beatrice and John, married Ann Welles, daughter of Governor Thomas Welles of Connecticut. These claims are supposedly well documented and accepted in several
    sources.

For our interest, below is a draft pedigree of Beatrice through the Broughtons, Havens, St. Owen, Tirrell, and Downton families of Salop and Herefordshire. The information has been gathered from the Visitations of Shropshire and Herefordshire, Flagg’
    s Genealogical Notes, and publications of the Welles Family Association. Other sources are identified within:
    1. Beatrice Detton (Dodington)baptized 21 Jun 1584. Married John Thompson, 12 Apr 1608, Neen Savage, Shropshire.
    2. George Detton (Dodington) born about 1552. Married about 1575 Anne, daughter off Walter ap Thomas.
    END of QUOTE.
    ---------

Flagg's _Genealogical Notes_ does make it clear that one of the children of Beatrice (Detton) Thomson was the immigrant to Connecticut. I had speculated here, in postings now removed, that the Anne "ap Thomas" who married George Detton was a kinswoman
    of Judith (Lukin) Ward's probable mother, Thomasine (Ap Walter or Ap Thomas) Lukin of Mashbury, Essex.

An article by the Rev. R. C. Purton on "Detton [Family]" in _Transactions of the Shropshire Archaeological Society_ 4th series, vol. 10 (1925-26), seems to confirm this surmise (or at least further supports it), pp. 258-59:

GEORGE DETTON, son and heir of Robert, married Ann, daughter of Walter ap Thomas of Teyhall. In one of Wm. Mytton's MSS. (cited by Blakeway) she is described as daughter of William Walter of Kerrickhowell, Co. Brecon by Elizabeth Denton of Co. Oxon.
    She was buried at Neen in 1613. During his life-time George Detton conveyed all his lands (except Ingardine) to his son Thomas, who however predeceased him. The following letter is given by Blakeway, and was then in the possession of John Cresset Pelham:-
    -

'Right worshipfull my very hartye and humble commendacions unto yor worshippe most hartely remembred with like thankes for yor greate curtesye at all tymes. I have (accordinge to yor worshippes frendly offer) sent this bearer my man unto yow desyringe
    yor worshippe to lend me a corselett to shew to morowe before yor worshippe and the rest of the Justices at Brydnorth, and the bearer hereof at night shall bringe the same backe agayne, for myne owne apperance I hope yor worshippe will pardon me. I have
    but too men in my howse that are able to serve the Quene, the chiefest of them I will send to morow to appear before yor worshippe, the other I know not how well to spare from my cattell, wherefore I am to desyre yor worshippe to have me axcused at this
    tyme fro hym. Thus beinge over bold of yor worshippes frenshippe I commytt yow to the tuycion of the almightye from my poor howse at Detton this present thursday the vjth of Aprill 1587

George Detton

To the right worshipfull Mr. Richard Cresset Esquier at Upton Cressett geve these.'

Besides two sons (i) Thomas and (ii) George, of whom more hereafter, George Detton had six daughters viz.:--

(iii) Mary, bapt. at Neen in 1576, waiting gentlewoman to Lady Newport, married at High Ercall in 1613 to Rev. Francis Garbet, and buried at Neen in 1614, leaving an infant son George, who was buried in 1617 at Wroxeter, where his father was Vicar from
    1609 to 1659.

(iv) Frances, bapt. at Neen in 1577, married there in 1598 to Rev. William Berkeley, Rector of Clungunford, where she was buried in 1650.

(v) Catharine, bapt. at Neen in 1579, married there in 1610 to James Wrottesley, who was assessed to Subsidy for lands in Detton in 1628.

(vii) Beatrice, bapt. at Neen in 1584, married there in 1608 to Richard Thompson. I think this is a mistake for _John_ Thompson, for George, son of John "Tumpsone," was baptized at Neen the following year, and the children of John and Beatrice Thompson
    of Sherehouse were baptized at Burford from 1610. She was buried there in 1650.

END of QUOTE.
    -------------

See ...

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=inu.30000116575667&view=1up&seq=320&q1=%22thomas%20of%20teyhall%22

Ernest Flagg's book mentions the error of Beatrice's groom's first name being recorded as "Richard" rather than "John." It also uses a modified spelling of his surname, Thomson or even Tomson, I believe.

William Mytton's identification of the parentage of Ann Detton as "William Walter of Kerrickhowell, Co. Brecon ... [and] Elizabeth Denton of Co. Oxon" is very helpful, as those were definitely also the parents of Thomasine ([ap] Walter) Lukyn, the
    probable mother of Judith Warde, wife of Edward Warde. Remember that Elizabeth was sometimes interchangeable with Isabel at this time.

The will of Beatrice Detton's husband is this one (apparently unknown to Flagg); it mentions the couple's brother-in-law George Detton.

Link to a PDF of Matthew Hovious's article on Edward Warde and his wife Judith (unsure if this is on the right side of copyright law, but whatever) ... The ap Walter Thomas apparent connection is discussed at the end.

http://www.livhelenewillumsen.no/res/The%20Genealogist_article.pdf

The only other thing I've found in the intervening years is that one of John and Beatrice (Detton) Thomson's sons was an Oxford student ...

T(h)omson, John, s. John of Burford, Salop, pleb. BALLIOL COLL., matric. 15 June 1632, aged 16. B.A. 2 Nov., 1634, M.A. 19 Oct., 1637.

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Alumni_Oxonienses_S_Z/JRIBAAAAYAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=tompson+burford&pg=PA1476&printsec=frontcover

I think I found that the age matched with his baptismal record around 1616.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JBrand@21:1/5 to JBrand on Sat Jan 14 10:02:43 2023
    On Saturday, January 14, 2023 at 12:59:59 PM UTC-5, JBrand wrote:
    Durin

sources.

For our interest, below is a draft pedigree of Beatrice through the Broughtons, Havens, St. Owen, Tirrell, and Downton families of Salop and Herefordshire. The information has been gathered from the Visitations of Shropshire and Herefordshire, Flagg
    s Genealogical Notes, and publications of the Welles Family Association. Other sources are identified within:
    END of QUOTE.
    ---------

Flagg's _Genealogical Notes_ does make it clear that one of the children of Beatrice (Detton) Thomson was the immigrant to Connecticut. I had speculated here, in postings now removed, that the Anne "ap Thomas" who married George Detton was a
    kinswoman of Judith (Lukin) Ward's probable mother, Thomasine (Ap Walter or Ap Thomas) Lukin of Mashbury, Essex.

She was buried at Neen in 1613. During his life-time George Detton conveyed all his lands (except Ingardine) to his son Thomas, who however predeceased him. The following letter is given by Blakeway, and was then in the possession of John Cresset Pelham:-
    -

'Right worshipfull my very hartye and humble commendacions unto yor worshippe most hartely remembred with like thankes for yor greate curtesye at all tymes. I have (accordinge to yor worshippes frendly offer) sent this bearer my man unto yow
    desyringe yor worshippe to lend me a corselett to shew to morowe before yor worshippe and the rest of the Justices at Brydnorth, and the bearer hereof at night shall bringe the same backe agayne, for myne owne apperance I hope yor worshippe will pardon
    me. I have but too men in my howse that are able to serve the Quene, the chiefest of them I will send to morow to appear before yor worshippe, the other I know not how well to spare from my cattell, wherefore I am to desyre yor worshippe to have me
    axcused at this tyme fro hym. Thus beinge over bold of yor worshippes frenshippe I commytt yow to the tuycion of the almightye from my poor howse at Detton this present thursday the vjth of Aprill 1587

George Detton

(iii) Mary, bapt. at Neen in 1576, waiting gentlewoman to Lady Newport, married at High Ercall in 1613 to Rev. Francis Garbet, and buried at Neen in 1614, leaving an infant son George, who was buried in 1617 at Wroxeter, where his father was Vicar
    from 1609 to 1659.

(vii) Beatrice, bapt. at Neen in 1584, married there in 1608 to Richard Thompson. I think this is a mistake for _John_ Thompson, for George, son of John "Tumpsone," was baptized at Neen the following year, and the children of John and Beatrice
    Thompson of Sherehouse were baptized at Burford from 1610. She was buried there in 1650.

END of QUOTE.
    -------------

See ...

Link to a PDF of Matthew Hovious's article on Edward Warde and his wife Judith (unsure if this is on the right side of copyright law, but whatever) ... The ap Walter Thomas apparent connection is discussed at the end.

The only other thing I've found in the intervening years is that one of John and Beatrice (Detton) Thomson's sons was an Oxford student ...

T(h)omson, John, s. John of Burford, Salop, pleb. BALLIOL COLL., matric. 15 June 1632, aged 16. B.A. 2 Nov., 1634, M.A. 19 Oct., 1637.

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Alumni_Oxonienses_S_Z/JRIBAAAAYAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=tompson+burford&pg=PA1476&printsec=frontcover

Sorry, PDF only has the first page of the article.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JBrand@21:1/5 to JBrand on Sat Jan 14 11:51:40 2023
    On Saturday, January 14, 2023 at 1:02:45 PM UTC-5, JBrand wrote:
    Durin

The interest in this marriage--for at least myself and Mr. Davis--is in regards to the ancestry of Beatrice Detton (Dodington) of Shropshire. Beatrice is known to have married John Thom(p)son of Sherehouse, Burford Parish, Shropshire. Thomas
    Thompson, son of Beatrice and John, married Ann Welles, daughter of Governor Thomas Welles of Connecticut. These claims are supposedly well documented and accepted in several
    sources.

For our interest, below is a draft pedigree of Beatrice through the Broughtons, Havens, St. Owen, Tirrell, and Downton families of Salop and Herefordshire. The information has been gathered from the Visitations of Shropshire and Herefordshire,
    Flagg’s Genealogical Notes, and publications of the Welles Family Association. Other sources are identified within:
    END of QUOTE.
    ---------

Flagg's _Genealogical Notes_ does make it clear that one of the children of Beatrice (Detton) Thomson was the immigrant to Connecticut. I had speculated here, in postings now removed, that the Anne "ap Thomas" who married George Detton was a
    kinswoman of Judith (Lukin) Ward's probable mother, Thomasine (Ap Walter or Ap Thomas) Lukin of Mashbury, Essex.

She was buried at Neen in 1613. During his life-time George Detton conveyed all his lands (except Ingardine) to his son Thomas, who however predeceased him. The following letter is given by Blakeway, and was then in the possession of John Cresset Pelham:
    --

Ge
  • From JBrand@21:1/5 to JBrand on Sat Jan 14 20:13:52 2023
    On Saturday, January 14, 2023 at 2:51:42 PM UTC-5, JBrand wrote:
    Durin

The interest in this marriage--for at least myself and Mr. Davis--is in regards to the ancestry of Beatrice Detton (Dodington) of Shropshire. Beatrice is known to have married John Thom(p)son of Sherehouse, Burford Parish, Shropshire. Thomas
    Thompson, son of Beatrice and John, married Ann Welles, daughter of Governor Thomas Welles of Connecticut. These claims are supposedly well documented and accepted in several
    sources.

For our interest, below is a draft pedigree of Beatrice through the Broughtons, Havens, St. Owen, Tirrell, and Downton families of Salop and Herefordshire. The information has been gathered from the Visitations of Shropshire and Herefordshire,
    Flagg’s Genealogical Notes, and publications of the Welles Family Association. Other sources are identified within:
    END of QUOTE.
    ---------

GEORGE DETTON, son and heir of Robert, married Ann, daughter of Walter ap Thomas of Teyhall. In one of Wm. Mytton's MSS. (cited by Blakeway) she is described as daughter of William Walter of Kerrickhowell, Co. Brecon by Elizabeth Denton of Co.
    Oxon. She was buried at Neen in 1613. During his life-time George Detton conveyed all his lands (except Ingardine) to his son Thomas, who however predeceased him. The following letter is given by Blakeway, and was then in the possession of John Cresset
    Pelham:--

George Detton

(iii) Mary, bapt. at Neen in 1576, waiting gentlewoman to Lady Newport, married at High Ercall in 1613 to Rev. Francis Garbet, and buried at Neen in 1614, leaving an infant son George, who was buried in 1617 at Wroxeter, where his father was
    Vicar from 1609 to 1659.

(vii) Beatrice, bapt. at Neen in 1584, married there in 1608 to Richard Thompson. I think this is a mistake for _John_ Thompson, for George, son of John "Tumpsone," was baptized at Neen the following year, and the children of John and Beatrice
    Thompson of Sherehouse were baptized at Burford from 1610. She was buried there in 1650.

END of QUOTE.
    -------------

See ...

William Mytton's identification of the parentage of Ann Detton as "William Walter of Kerrickhowell, Co. Brecon ... [and] Elizabeth Denton of Co. Oxon" is very helpful, as those were definitely also the parents of Thomasine ([ap] Walter) Lukyn,
    the probable mother of Judith Warde, wife of Edward Warde. Remember that Elizabeth was sometimes interchangeable with Isabel at this time.

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Genealogical_Gleanings_in_England/caNCAAAAYAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22matthew+poole%22+beatrice&pg=PA1061&printsec=frontcover

"Tye Hall is a manor formerly in a branch of the great family of Heveningham , of Suffolk . ... From the Heveninghams it went , by marriage , to the family of Thomas , from whom it passed to that of Walter, to Sir Jerome Weston, to the Earls of Portland .

https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_history_and_topography_of_Essex/SgQVAAAAQAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=walter+of+tyehall&pg=PA181&printsec=frontcover

William [ap] Walter, father of these ladies, was the son of Walter ap Thomas by Thomasina Henningham or Heveningham. Walter ap Thomas's will of ca. 1540 requested burial at Croghowell or Crickhowell in Wales.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JBrand@21:1/5 to JBrand on Sat Jan 14 21:03:18 2023
    On Saturday, January 14, 2023 at 11:13:54 PM UTC-5, JBrand wrote:
    On Saturday, January 14, 2023 at 2:51:42 PM UTC-5, JBrand wrote:
    Durin

sources.

END of QUOTE.
    ---------

GEORGE DETTON, son and heir of Robert, married Ann, daughter of Walter ap Thomas of Teyhall. In one of Wm. Mytton's MSS. (cited by Blakeway) she is described as daughter of William Walter of Kerrickhowell, Co. Brecon by Elizabeth Denton of Co.
    Oxon. She was buried at Neen in 1613. During his life-time George Detton conveyed all his lands (except Ingardine) to his son Thomas, who however predeceased him. The following letter is given by Blakeway, and was then in the possession of John Cresset
    Pelham:--

George Detton

(iii) Mary, bapt. at Neen in 1576, waiting gentlewoman to Lady Newport, married at High Ercall in 1613 to Rev. Francis Garbet, and buried at Neen in 1614, leaving an infant son George, who was buried in 1617 at Wroxeter, where his father was
    Vicar from 1609 to 1659.

END of QUOTE.
    -------------

See ...

William Mytton's identification of the parentage of Ann Detton as "William Walter of Kerrickhowell, Co. Brecon ... [and] Elizabeth Denton of Co. Oxon" is very helpful, as those were definitely also the parents of Thomasine ([ap] Walter) Lukyn,
    the probable mother of Judith Warde, wife of Edward Warde. Remember that Elizabeth was sometimes interchangeable with Isabel at this time.

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Genealogical_Gleanings_in_England/caNCAAAAYAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22matthew+poole%22+beatrice&pg=PA1061&printsec=frontcover
    "Tye Hall is a manor formerly in a branch of the great family of Heveningham , of Suffolk . ... From the Heveninghams it went , by marriage , to the family of Thomas , from whom it passed to that of Walter, to Sir Jerome Weston, to the Earls of
    Portland ...

https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_history_and_topography_of_Essex/SgQVAAAAQAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=walter+of+tyehall&pg=PA181&printsec=frontcover

William [ap] Walter, father of these ladies, was the son of Walter ap Thomas by Thomasina Henningham or Heveningham. Walter ap Thomas's will of ca. 1540 requested burial at Croghowell or Crickhowell in Wales.

"Rolstons, which took its denomination from a family so called; the manor-house is pleasantly situated half a mile from the church, on the right-hand side of the road leading [from Writtle] to Blackmore. Walter Thomas, Gent., held this estate of the
    crown by fealty and twenty-five shillings and sixpence rent, being then valued at eight pounds a year: he died in 1543, and was succeeded by his son. This family had also Tye Hall, in Roxwell."

https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_history_and_topography_of_Essex/SgQVAAAAQAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22tye+hall%22+writtle&pg=PA170&printsec=frontcover

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Elizabeth A@21:1/5 to minnma...@yahoo.com on Sun Jan 15 08:35:44 2023
    During the last several months, there have been
    various posts regarding the marriage between Alice de
    Brewes/Baose (and other various spellings of which
    have been well documented) and Ralph St. Owen.
    The interest in this marriage - for at least myself
    and Mr. Davis - is in regards to the ancestry of
    Beatrice Detton (Dodington) of Shropshire. Beatrice
    is known to have married John Thompson of Sherehouse,
    Burford Parish, Shropshire. Thomas Thompson, son of
    Beatrice and John, married Ann Welles, daughter of
    Governor Thomas Welles of Connecticut. These claims
    are supposedly well documented and accepted in several
    sources.
    For our interest, below is a draft pedigree of
    Beatrice through the Broughtons, Havens, St. Owen,
    Tirrell, and Downton families of Salop and
    Herefordshire. The information has been gathered from
    the Visitations of Shropshire and Herefordshire,
    Flagg’s Genealogical Notes, and publications of the
    Welles Family Association. Other sources are
    identified within:
    1. Beatrice Detton (Dodington)baptized 21 Jun 1584.
    Married John Thompson, 12 Apr 1608. Neen Savage
    Shropshire.
    2. George Detton (Dodington) born about 1552. Married
    about 1575 Anne, daughter off Walter ap Thomas.
    3. Robert Dodington born about 1525. Married bout
    1548, Mary Kettleby, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth
    (Romney) Kettleby of Stepple. Stepple acquired by
    marriage with St. George family.
    4. John Dodington, born 1490-95. Married about 1520
    Anna Broughton, daughter of Walter and Jane (Haven)
    Broughton of Broughton and Henley, Salop.
    5. Walter Broughton and Jane Haven (Hevin) 12 E. 4.
    Jane listed as coheir of John Hevin of Heuin,
    Herefordshire.
    6. John Broughton and Matilda or Isabell – daughter
    and heir of John Collyns (Colling) otherwise called
    John Brocton
    7. Thomas Broughton and Jocosa, daughter of Hugh
    Sandford. Hugh Sandford listed as “Hugonis Sandford
    militis” in the Visitations of Shropshire. Possibly
    same person as Hugh Sandford in the pedigree of
    Sandford Up Rossall in the same Visitation.
    6. John Hevin of Clybery in Salop and Hevyn (now Haven
    )in parish of Dilwyen in Herefordshire, and Isabell
    Downton.
    “Hevin belonged at an early date to a family of that
    name which remained in Dilweyn till the close of the
    16th century, although the eldest branch had
    terminated long before in three coheirs – Margaret
    wife off William Hopton; Ann, wife of Hugh Shirley;
    and Jane, wife of Walter Broughton. (Vist.
    Herefordshire - Hopton Pedigree footnote & Vist.
    Shropshire)”.
    7. Thomas Downtown and Margarett, daughter of Richard
    Lingen of Lingen in co. Hereff.
    8. Roger Downton5 (John4, Thomas3, Roger2, and
    Thomas1) and Jane (Joane) 4 H. 4.– sister and heir to
    Thomas St. Owen.
    The Visitation of Herefordshire shows that Jane
    (Joane) was the granddaughter of #9 below and daughter
    of John St. Owen and Elizabeth, daughter of Barkley.
    In one pedigree of St. Owen in the Visitation of
    Shropshire, Jane (Joane) is shown as the daughter of
    #9. Both Vistations give the same regnal years for
    Jane (Joane).
    Paul Davis has posted some variations and additional
    information regarding the Downtown/St. Owen
    relationship.
    9. John St. Owen and Jane Tirrell (Tyrrell), daughter
    and heir of Sir Hugh Tirrell6(Hugh5, Roger4, Gilbert3,
    Raph2, Randall1), Lord of Bromscroste in co. Salop and
    Tirrell’s Court in co. Hd.

Contributed by Wendy Angove:
    Robinson's Mansions and Manors of Herefordshire under
    Eardisland I:
    'Burton Court was the seat of the St Owen family for
    several generations. John St Owen (son and heir of Sir
    Ralph) married the heiress of Hugh Tyrell, and upon
    the death of his grandsons s.p. (without issue) Thomas
    St Owen c.1403 and Patrick, ante 1422, the estate
    devolved to their sister Margaret, wife of Thomas
    Downton'.
    Robinson's Mansions and Manors of Herefordshire
    'Tyrell's Court belonged to a family of that name for
    several generations. The heiress, Joanna, daughter of
    Sir Hugh Tyrrell,(footnote, Hugh Tyrrell had a grant
    of free warren at Solers Dilwyn 8 Edward III) Hugh
    being 6th in descent from Sir Randall Tyrrell, married
    John St Owen in the reign of Edward III'.
    In a book about houses of Herefordshire by Mary
    Andere:
    ' the first Lord of Brinsop..was Ralph Torell or
    Tirrell in 1210.'
    Dunscumb gives Sir Roger Tyrrell in the same list as
    Sir John St Owen - knights who served in the wars of
    Edward 1.
    10. Sir Ralph (Raph, Raufe) St. Owen of Gerneston and
    Burton in co. Hd. and Alice, dauther and heir (coheir
    in Visitation of Herefordshire) of Pierre Bruse
    (Brewes) de Hochampe. Other daughters of Pierre de
    Bruse are Maude, wife of John de Vaulx; and Elizabeth
    wife off William Molineux (Visitation of Shropshire).
    Visitation of Herefordshire states that Alice (wife of
    Ralph St. Owen, was daughter and coheir of Sr. Peeter
    vel Peeers de Bruse of co. Glos. 4 E. 3, 16 E. 3, 50
    E. 3. No ancestry listed for Peeter vel Peers in the
    Vist. of Hereff.
    Visitation of Shropshire lists ancestry of Peter4
    Bruse as William3, Piers2, William1 Lord Bruse of
    Gower.
    David Knill has also posted another origin for Alice
    and Pier (Peter) as shown in another source.
    11. Raph (Raufe) St. Owen and Julian 19 E. 2.
    12. John St. Owen and Margarett, Lade of Whitchurch.
    Dunscumb’s History of Herefordshire in Volume 1
    names Sir John de St Owen as a knight who served in
    the wars of Edward 1st and also gives the coat of arms
    he bore. - 'de Gules a un crois de Argent en l'un
    quarter un escuchon de Gloucester.'
    13. Raph (Raufe) St. Owen and Maude, daughter and
    coheir of Sir John Oteby (Oreby according to
    Visitation of Shropshire)
    14. Sir Robert St. Owen.
    15. Sir Raufe St. Owen.

Visitation of Herefordshire gives the following arms
    for St. Owen:
    Downton: Two organ pipes between nine cross
    crosslets.
    St. Owen: Varry of six (Or. And Gu.)
    Oteby: Vt. A fess Ar. in a chief Gu. a chevron Ar.
    Brewes: Az. A lion ramp. betw. ten cross crosslets
    Or. Crowned Gu.
    Tirrell: Az. a lion ramp. Ar. a border engr. Or.
    Please review, comment, and add insight.
    Sincerely,
    Minnman
    RIP

The Visitation of Shropshire, 1623, shows that John Dod[d]ington/Detton and Anna Broughton, and thus the St. Owen/Brewes(Braose) families, are ancestral to Anna (Holland) Doughty, the paternal grandmother of Rev. Francis Doughty, an immigrant from
    Shropshire to Massachusetts, New York, Maryland, and Virginia. Specifically, the Dodington pedigree on p.165-6 of Part I (1889) says that "Johannes Dodington" and "Anna filia Walteri Broughton de Henley" had among others "Alice uxor Wm Holland." The
    Holland pedigree on p.250-1 says that "Will's Holland de Burwarton in com. Salop." married "Alice da. to Jo[hn] Ditton of Dodington [alias Detton]" and had "Anna nupta Joh'i Doughty de Dudlick in com. Salop." John Anderson Brayton, "The Ancestry of the
    Reverend Francis Doughty of Massachusetts, Long Island, Amsterdam, Maryland, and Virginia," The American Genealogist 77 (2002):1-17, 127-136, gives Alice (Holland) Doughty as the paternal grandmother of Rev. Francis Doughty. Putting this all together, it
    appears that in addition to being the great-grandparents of Beatrice (Dod[d]ington/Detton) Thompson, John Dod[d]ington/Detton and Anna Broughton are also the great-great-grandparents of Rev. Francis Doughty.

-Elizabeth A

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JBrand@21:1/5 to Elizabeth A on Sun Jan 15 08:53:00 2023
    On Sunday, January 15, 2023 at 11:35:46 AM UTC-5, Elizabeth A wrote:
    sources.
    identified within:
    Shropshire.
    Herefordshire.
    John Brocton
    Downton.
    Shropshire)”.
    Thomas St. Owen.
    Jane (Joane).
    relationship.

Eardisland I:
    Downton'.
    Andere:
    Tirrell in 1210.'
    Edward 1.
    Vist. of Hereff.
    Gower.
    14. Sir Robert St. Owen.
    15. Sir Raufe St. Owen.

for St. Owen:
    crosslets.
    Or. Crowned Gu.
    Sincerely,
    Minnman
    RIP

The Visitation of Shropshire, 1623, shows that John Dod[d]ington/Detton and Anna Broughton, and thus the St. Owen/Brewes(Braose) families, are ancestral to Anna (Holland) Doughty, the paternal grandmother of Rev. Francis Doughty, an immigrant from
    Shropshire to Massachusetts, New York, Maryland, and Virginia. Specifically, the Dodington pedigree on p.165-6 of Part I (1889) says that "Johannes Dodington" and "Anna filia Walteri Broughton de Henley" had among others "Alice uxor Wm Holland." The
    Holland pedigree on p.250-1 says that "Will's Holland de Burwarton in com. Salop." married "Alice da. to Jo[hn] Ditton of Dodington [alias Detton]" and had "Anna nupta Joh'i Doughty de Dudlick in com. Salop." John Anderson Brayton, "The Ancestry of the
    Reverend Francis Doughty of Massachusetts, Long Island, Amsterdam, Maryland, and Virginia," The American Genealogist 77 (2002):1-17, 127-136, gives Alice (Holland) Doughty as the paternal grandmother of Rev. Francis Doughty. Putting this all together, it
    appears that in addition to being the great-grandparents of Beatrice (Dod[d]ington/Detton) Thompson, John Dod[d]ington/Detton and Anna Broughton are also the great-great-grandparents of Rev. Francis Doughty.

-Elizabeth A

Okay, makes sense. I did remember that Rev. Doughty had some Shropshire lower-gentry lines, so it's nice to be able to connect him back further. I'm not sure about the Braose connection, which should lead to a RD, but I think others have found it
    believable.

One further piece of evidence specifically in the Detton-Thomson line is that the 1586 will of Edward Grenville of Wotton Underwood, Bucks., eldest child of Isabel (Denton) (Grenville) ap Walter by her first husband, mentions both his "brother Ruckwood" [
    Rokewood] and his "sister Ann Detton" [possibly misspelled "Denton," at least in the recorded copy, as the writer would likely have been aware of the Grenvilles' earlier connection to Isabel DENTON].

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_fn=&_ln=grenvile&_occ=&_pl=&_q=&_sd=1580&_ed=1599&discoveryCustomSearch=true&_cr1=PROB+11&_col=200&_hb=tna

Thomas (ap Walter) Lukyn remarried to Edmund Rokewood or Ruckwood, as discussed in Matthew Hovious' article, p. 151. Thomasine had predeceased her half-brother Edward Grenville in 1581, but his will does mention "brother," not "sister" Ruckwood, and her
    widower may have been still living.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JBrand@21:1/5 to Elizabeth A on Mon Jan 16 05:52:04 2023
    On Sunday, January 15, 2023 at 11:35:46 AM UTC-5, Elizabeth A wrote:
    sources.
    identified within:
    Shropshire.
    Herefordshire.
    John Brocton
    Downton.
    Shropshire)”.
    Thomas St. Owen.
    Jane (Joane).
    relationship.

Eardisland I:
    Downton'.
    Andere:
    Tirrell in 1210.'
    Edward 1.
    Vist. of Hereff.
    Gower.
    14. Sir Robert St. Owen.
    15. Sir Raufe St. Owen.

for St. Owen:
    crosslets.
    Or. Crowned Gu.
    Sincerely,
    Minnman
    RIP

Reverend Francis Doughty of Massachusetts, Long .Island, Amsterdam, Maryland, and Virginia," The American Genealogist 77 (2002):1-17, 127-136, gives Alice (Holland) Doughty as the paternal grandmother of Rev. Francis Doughty. Putting this all together,
    it appears that in addition to being the great-grandparents of Beatrice (Dod[d]ington/Detton) Thompson, John Dod[d]ington/Detton and Anna Broughton are also the great-great-grandparents of Rev. Francis Doughty.

-Elizabeth A

If Clifford Stott, FASG, is reading this newsgroup it may be that, in short order, we can expect a sprawling multi-part article with at least four installments showing the common descent of Rev. Francis Doughty of Mass., Maryland, and Virginia, Thomas
    Thomson of Connecticut, and the Swynfens of Maryland ... :-)

https://groups.google.com/g/soc.genealogy.medieval/c/x7q1-cUDLjQ/m/1yJUvhggAgAJ

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05