• Re: Re: de la Bere

From Robert Allen@21:1/5 to All on Sat Dec 31 00:43:28 2022
    This conversation has been idol for 15 years. I hope my message comes to the attention of others interested in the De La Bere family of Weobley Castle, Gower, Wales
    There is an article entitled "Sir William de Braose Lord of Gower (c. 1255-1326)" published in the Gower - The Joournal of the Gower Society, Vol. XLIII, by Robert David Edmunds. At the bottom of page 65 of the Journal (page 2 of the article) it says
    that during the 1290s Sir William de Braose began the process of selling and mortgaging his lands and property. It was around this time that he sold land at Weobley to David de la Bere.
    There is a Sir John de la Bere we married Agnes Turberville circa 1340 I am assuming that this John de la Bere was the son of the above-mentioned David de la Bere based on the fact this this John de la Bere's descendants owned Weobley castle, Gower,
    Wales. This couple had 3 children, John de la Bere (heir), Elizabeth de la Bere who married John St. John (not Oliver St. John) and Margaret de la Bere who married Elias Basset (see evidence below).
    There is a 1384 Quit Claim Deed from John de la Bere, son of Sir John de la Bere, to John de Penres involving a burgage in the castle bailey of Swansea. Cartae et Alia Munimenta Quae ad Dominium de Glamorgancia Pertinent, Vol. 1V, page 1355, et. seq.
    The father of this John de la Bere is believed to be Sir John de la Bere who married Agnes Turberville discussed in the previous paragraph.
    There is a 1397/98 Inquisition Post Mortem of Sir John de La Bere "of the Castle of Weobley", who died in 1380". Cartae et Alia Munimenta Quae ad Dominium de Glamorgancia Pertinent, Vol. 1I, page 53. It says that his son and heir was John de la Bere,
    15 years old at the feast of Saint Michael last past, unmarried. There is also a Confirmation by Bishop John to Margam Abbey in 1397 in which it says that John de la Bere was a knight who held the castle of Webbely from the lord and died through
    military service on the Sunday next after the feast of Saint Matthew the Apostle in the 13th year of the reign of the Richard II. Cartae et Alia Munimenta Quae ad Dominium de Glamorgancia Pertinent, Vol. 1V, page 1428, et seq.
    There is a 1410 Inquisition Post Mortem of John de la Bere that says that he held the fortified manor called Webbley in the lordship of Gower, Wales. It says he died September 24, 1403 and says that his heir is Thomas, his son, age 9 years. British
    History Online, Henry IV Entries 600-751, item 743 and Cartae et Alia Munimenta Quae ad Dominium de Glamorgancia Pertinent, Vol. 1V, page 1459.
    There is a 1415 Calendar of Fine Rolls entry (2 Henry V, page 101) concerning a pourparty of Coytyff (a Turberville property) that came into the "King's hands" by the death of Laurence Berkkerolles and by reason of the minority of Thomas de la Beer,
    son of John de la Bere and that by the death of Thomas de la Beer on October 28, 1414 there was a search for Thomas de la Bere's heir. To find this heir they went back to John de la Bere (son of John de la Bere who married Agnes Turberville) and went
    out to his two sisters and awarded Margaret (who married Elias Basset) and down to her son, John Basset, and Elizabeth (who married John St. John) and down to her son, John St. John. The finding was to award 1/2 to John Basset and 1/2 to John St. John.
    There was also an Oliver St. John of Fonmon, Glamorgan, Wales who married a different Elizabeth de la Bere, daughter of a different Sir John de la Bere. This couple was at least one generation older than the Elizabeth de la Bere who married John St.
    John discussed above.. I descend from this Oliver St. John and Elizabeth de la Bere. I am still working on trying to prove the ancestry of this (older) Sir John de la Bere. As far as I have been able to determine this older Sir John de la Bere and
    this Oliver St. John who married the older Elizabeth de la Bere had nothing to do with Weobley Castle in Gower, Wales.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)