• Re: Robert de Cockfield, Sheriff of York and His Brother Simon

From Colin Cockfield@21:1/5 to johnmw...@gmail.com on Mon Dec 19 12:20:49 2022
    On Monday, 11 January 2016 at 21:22:43 UTC, johnmw...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Tuesday, 12 January 2016 01:24:03 UTC+7, Jan Wolfe wrote:

In that case, do you think that the husband of Isabel was the younger or the elder of these two Simons?

The husband of Isabel was the elder of the two Simons. He died in late 1248 or early 1249. The Simon who died was the uncle of the younger Simon:

1249, Michaelmas Term, 33-34 Henry III, Suff' Assisa venit recognitura si Simon de Cocfeud avunculus Simonis fuit seisitus dominico suo ut de feodo ets. de una carucata terre cum pertinenciis in Yoycford' [Yoxford Suff.] die quo etc. et si etc., quam
    terram Johannes de Cokefeud' tenet, qui venit et alias vocavit inde ad warantum Osbertum de Cokefeud, fratrem predicti Simonis de cujus morte assis arramiata est, qui modo venit et ei warantizat. Et dicit quod assis non debet inde fieri, quia dicit quod
    ipse est avuculus predicti Simonis qui petit; et petit judicum si assia debeat procedere inter avunculum et nepotem. Et Simon venit et dicit quod predictus Osbertus nuncquam post mortem predicti Simonis de cujus morte assisa arramiata est. Postea
    concordati sunt per licenciam. Habeant cyrographum etc.
    Curia Regis Rolls, vol. 19, p. 73, No. 500.

So now we have four Cockfield brothers:

Henry (father of Simon), Robert (the sheriff), Simon (the uncle) and Osbert (the uncle). Probably the sons of a Henry de Cockfield.

Regards,

John

Evening all,
    I have some research that was carried out by a cousin around 40 years ago. I'll see if I can dig it out, sadly I don't think she referenced her sources, genealogy wasn't a big thing then! But from memory she had more or less traced the family history to
    an Anne Cockfield directly in the 1200's and Sir Robert de Cockfield and as I understood it Lord Vavasour was a ward of Robert. The name Isabelle was used right down the female line. My family, including my father, were all from the North Yorkshire area..
    If it's of any interest.

Kind regards,
    Colin Cockfield

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)