• New Winslow Ancestry Book

From WADP@21:1/5 to All on Sun Dec 11 05:51:04 2022
    Are any of you familiar with Liam Donnelly's book Edward Winslow's English Origins? If so what do you think of it? According to the blurb I've seen it pushes the family back to the 1250s through re-examination of the family using in part newly published
    records.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From ps bumppo@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 15 11:22:40 2022
    Evidently no one else is familiar with this book?. I'd be interested but can
    find no mention of it anywhere. Where did you see this "blurb?"

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From pj.evans88@gmail.com@21:1/5 to psbu...@hotmail.com on Thu Dec 15 12:00:55 2022
    On Thursday, December 15, 2022 at 11:22:42 AM UTC-8, psbu...@hotmail.com wrote:
    Evidently no one else is familiar with this book?. I'd be interested but can find no mention of it anywhere. Where did you see this "blurb?"

Google is your friend, if you use it. http://winslow-history.org.uk/pdf/Edward%20Winslow.pdf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From pj.evans88@gmail.com@21:1/5 to psbu...@hotmail.com on Thu Dec 15 14:25:45 2022
    On Thursday, December 15, 2022 at 2:15:50 PM UTC-8, psbu...@hotmail.com wrote:
    Thanks pj. I did google it but didn't go to the extent you clearly did

My search was "Liam Donnelly" "edward Winslow" . Yes, it really was that simple.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ps bumppo@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 15 14:15:48 2022
    Thanks pj. I did google it but didn't go to the extent you clearly did

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Joe@21:1/5 to WADP on Thu Dec 15 22:59:05 2022
    On Sunday, December 11, 2022 at 5:51:06 AM UTC-8, WADP wrote:
    Are any of you familiar with Liam Donnelly's book Edward Winslow's English Origins? If so what do you think of it? According to the blurb I've seen it pushes the family back to the 1250s through re-examination of the family using in part newly
    published records.

Yes, I have a copy and I have read it. I remember having a number of problems with the book, though I wish I had taken more notes as to all of my thoughts. No, the book cannot be said to establish the English origins of Edward Winslow, and therefore
    certainly cannot be said to extend the English ancestry of Edward Winslow. The majority of the book covers records which were already known in the form of IPMs, patent rolls, close rolls, fine rolls, etc. New information comes from the Winslow Manor
    Court Books, but these entries are from a time and place which as I remember it do not help identify the ancestry of Edward Winslow in any way.

The primary reason the book does not identify the English origins of Edward Winslow is that it does not even attempt to. The book starts with Winslows in the 13th century and works it way down towards more recent times but never makes it to Edward
    Winslow. Apparently the intention is to complete the trail in volume 2 which has not been released yet. Still, this is doing genealogy backwards - there is no point telling me about Edward Winslow's 14th century ancestors if you can't prove who his
    father is.

The structure of the book is a little unusual. Because there are so many John, Edward and William Winslows, the author has given every subject an identifying suffix. For example, some of the names are William Winslow Chaplain, William Winslow Armiger,
    William Winslow Pavilioner, John Winslow Maunciple, John Winslow Soton, John William Salop, etc. This is at times confusing, at times helpful, and at times misleading. Ultimately, I think the author is trying to link Edward Winslow to William Winslow of
    Ramsbury ( https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Winslow-515 ) who married Agnes Poure. He calls this person William Winslow Chaplain, but here I believe he is mixing up records of two completely different Williams (I don't think there is anyway that William
    Winslow of Ramsbury is the same as William Winslow rector of Odstock, Wiltshire). William Winslow of Ramsbury had one known son Thomas Winslow who died leaving four daughters and co-heirs. To connect Edward Winslow to this William Winslow, Liam will
    have show evidence that William Winslow had a younger son. Something I have never seen even the slightest amount of evidence for and something Liam does not show in this book (maybe volume 2 will).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JohnR@21:1/5 to All on Fri Dec 16 06:01:15 2022
    If you are talking about "Weston Pedigree Reconsidered: A Review of Documentation Provided by the College of Arms"
    1. I'd like to know which Herald did the work for the authors
    and
    2. Who wrote the OTT reviews on Amazon, all of which seem to deserve an award for fiction.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From WADP@21:1/5 to JohnR on Fri Dec 16 06:25:09 2022
    On Friday, December 16, 2022 at 9:01:23 AM UTC-5, JohnR wrote:
    If you are talking about "Weston Pedigree Reconsidered: A Review of Documentation Provided by the College of Arms"
    1. I'd like to know which Herald did the work for the authors
    and
    2. Who wrote the OTT reviews on Amazon, all of which seem to deserve an award for fiction.
    You posted this to the wrong message. This is about the new Winslow book.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ps bumppo@21:1/5 to Joe on Fri Dec 16 12:49:32 2022
    On Friday, December 16, 2022 at 1:59:07 AM UTC-5, Joe wrote:
    Are any of you familiar with Liam Donnelly's book Edward Winslow's English Origins? If so what do you think of it? According to the blurb I've seen it pushes the family back to the 1250s through re-examination of the family using in part newly
    published records.
    Yes, I have a copy and I have read it. I remember having a number of problems with the book, though I wish I had taken more notes as to all of my thoughts. No, the book cannot be said to establish the English origins of Edward Winslow, and therefore
    certainly cannot be said to extend the English ancestry of Edward Winslow. The majority of the book covers records which were already known in the form of IPMs, patent rolls, close rolls, fine rolls, etc. New information comes from the Winslow Manor
    Court Books, but these entries are from a time and place which as I remember it do not help identify the ancestry of Edward Winslow in any way.

The primary reason the book does not identify the English origins of Edward Winslow is that it does not even attempt to. The book starts with Winslows in the 13th century and works it way down towards more recent times but never makes it to Edward
    Winslow. Apparently the intention is to complete the trail in volume 2 which has not been released yet. Still, this is doing genealogy backwards - there is no point telling me about Edward Winslow's 14th century ancestors if you can't prove who his
    father is.

The structure of the book is a little unusual. Because there are so many John, Edward and William Winslows, the author has given every subject an identifying suffix. For example, some of the names are William Winslow Chaplain, William Winslow Armiger,
    William Winslow Pavilioner, John Winslow Maunciple, John Winslow Soton, John William Salop, etc. This is at times confusing, at times helpful, and at times misleading. Ultimately, I think the author is trying to link Edward Winslow to William Winslow of
    Ramsbury ( https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Winslow-515 ) who married Agnes Poure. He calls this person William Winslow Chaplain, but here I believe he is mixing up records of two completely different Williams (I don't think there is anyway that William
    Winslow of Ramsbury is the same as William Winslow rector of Odstock, Wiltshire). William Winslow of Ramsbury had one known son Thomas Winslow who died leaving four daughters and co-heirs. To connect Edward Winslow to this William Winslow, Liam will have
    show evidence that William Winslow had a younger son. Something I have never seen even the slightest amount of evidence for and something Liam does not show in this book (maybe volume 2 will).

Thanks, Joe, for your thoughts on this book. Being descended from 2 of Edward Winslow's brothers, John and Kenelm, I might be tempted to buy it, but will wait til I can find it at a Library or something. Am up on the older works on the family and was "
    hoping" for something new but from what you say I probably don't need to see it right away.

Thanks Again,
    Paul Bumpus
    Former Historian General of The Mayflower Society

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paulo Ricardo Canedo@21:1/5 to All on Sat Dec 17 04:42:03 2022
    A sexta-feira, 16 de dezembro de 2022 à(s) 06:59:07 UTC, Joe escreveu:
    published records.

father is.

Winslow of Ramsbury is the same as William Winslow rector of Odstock, Wiltshire). William Winslow of Ramsbury had one known son Thomas Winslow who died leaving four daughters and co-heirs. To connect Edward Winslow to this William Winslow, Liam will have
    show evidence that William Winslow had a younger son. Something I have never seen even the slightest amount of evidence for and something Liam does not show in this book (maybe volume 2 will).
    Thanks for this, Joe.
    Kay Allen saidin 1997 at https://groups.google.com/g/soc.genealogy.medieval/c/qcpu4pDfphI/m/UCFxSglFiWQJ
    that Agnes's husband Thomas Winslow may have had a younger brother who settled in Worcestershire and
    was ancestor of the Winslow brothers

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paulo Ricardo Canedo@21:1/5 to All on Sat Dec 17 04:43:56 2022
    A sexta-feira, 16 de dezembro de 2022 à(s) 06:59:07 UTC, Joe escreveu:
    published records.

father is.

Thanks for this, Joe. This idea isn't new, however. Kay Allen said in 1997 at https://groups.google.com/g/soc.genealogy.medieval/c/qcpu4pDfphI/m/UCFxSglFiWQJ
    that Thomas Winslow may have had a younger brother who settled in Worcestershire and
    was ancestor of the Winslow brothers

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05