• Re: Olaf the Black

From Heather M@21:1/5 to Ian Morrison on Fri Nov 4 19:56:38 2022
    On Thursday, September 6, 2001 at 7:06:49 PM UTC-7, Ian Morrison wrote:
    I am seeking the source(s) of the name MORRISON and one assertion I have read is that the progenitor is a son of Olaf the Black (son of Godred, king of Man c.1180) and Lauon of Kintyre. The son's name is given as Gillemore (with various spellings),
    which is supposedly the source of what I am told is the Gaelic name for Morrison, MacGillemhoire.
    I have read a lot about the Kings of Man but have seen no mention of a Gillemore (servant of Mary?) Can anyone confirm that this marriage, which was annulled, did produce a son? Can anyone propose another source for the Morrisons of the Western Isles?
    Ian Morrison

Clan Morrison Society has been working on a DNA project for quite some time. I first came across it about ten years ago. Anyway, if you go over to their website they have forums and information regarding participation. They've been using DNA and
    genealogy records(records of birth, marriage, immigration, census, etc. ) to look at who migrated where and who's related to whom. They were actually able to fill in the rest of the puzzle pieces for me once I found which group my blood relatives belong
    to: https://clanmorrison.net/ They have been able to confirm Norse heritage for some of us but I wouldn't take that to mean decended from the deligitimized son of a historical figure. (I'll change my mind if they manage to prove it via DNA from his
    remains. I just doubt there are any remains to do that with.) I mean, the other side's "history" (Donnachaidh) reads like an episode of GOT too... which makes me suspect they all exaggerate. Now, I don't doubt that someone named Gille Mhoire is the
    origin of the clan name, just that he had anything to do with a king.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)