• Happy Halloween

From Paulo Ricardo Canedo@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 1 17:19:57 2022
    Belated Happy Halloween to all followers of the newsgroup. Also Happy All Saints' Day and Happy All Souls' Day. All Saints'Day is a public holiday in Portugal.
    Are there any genealogical figures associated with horror other than Vlad the Impaler and Elizabeth Bathóry?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From joseph cook@21:1/5 to Paulo Ricardo Canedo on Tue Nov 1 18:06:43 2022
    On Tuesday, November 1, 2022 at 8:19:58 PM UTC-4, Paulo Ricardo Canedo wrote:
    Belated Happy Halloween to all followers of the newsgroup. Also Happy All Saints' Day and Happy All Souls' Day. All Saints'Day is a public holiday in Portugal.
    Are there any genealogical figures associated with horror other than Vlad the Impaler and Elizabeth Bathóry?

Robespierre, Mary Shelley

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JBrand@21:1/5 to joe...@gmail.com on Tue Nov 1 19:14:49 2022
    On Tuesday, November 1, 2022 at 9:06:45 PM UTC-4, joe...@gmail.com wrote:

The Salem witches are considered desirable ancestors by some.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paulo Ricardo Canedo@21:1/5 to All on Wed Nov 9 06:30:30 2022
    A quarta-feira, 2 de novembro de 2022 à(s) 01:06:45 UTC, joe...@gmail.com escreveu:
    Sorry for the late reply, but thanks for the reply, Joe. Robespierre killed many people but I don't think he fits the concept oc horror that I meant. Also, how is he a genealogical figure? He didn't have children.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to Paulo Ricardo Canedo on Thu Nov 10 11:31:48 2022
    On 10-Nov-22 1:30 AM, Paulo Ricardo Canedo wrote:
    A quarta-feira, 2 de novembro de 2022 à(s) 01:06:45 UTC, joe...@gmail.com escreveu:
    Sorry for the late reply, but thanks for the reply, Joe. Robespierre killed many people but I don't think he fits the concept oc horror that I meant. Also, how is he a genealogical figure? He didn't have children.

More to the point in this forum is that Robespierre was not a medieval
    figure, but since he was an individual with ancestors and relatives he
    is of course a genealogical one.

He satisfies three of the four definitions for genealogy in the OED (of
    which the middle two are labelled as obsolete):

" 1. An account of one's descent from an ancestor or ancestors, by
    enumeration of the intermediate persons; a pedigree.
    †2. Lineage, pedigree, family stock. Obs.
    †3. Progeny, offspring. Obs.
    4. The investigation of family pedigrees, viewed as a department of
    study or knowledge."

You won't get very far in medieval genealogy by ignoring childless
    members of a family. Researchers whose interest is confined to their own biological ancestors are missing most of the picture and much of the fun.

Peter Stewart

--
    This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software.
    www.avg.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paulo Ricardo Canedo@21:1/5 to All on Thu Nov 10 00:36:28 2022
    A quinta-feira, 10 de novembro de 2022 à(s) 00:31:49 UTC, pss...@optusnet.com.au escreveu:
    More to the point in this forum is that Robespierre was not a medieval figure, but since he was an individual with ancestors and relatives he

He satisfies three of the four definitions for genealogy in the OED (of which the middle two are labelled as obsolete):

" 1. An account of one's descent from an ancestor or ancestors, by enumeration of the intermediate persons; a pedigree.
    study or knowledge."

members of a family. Researchers whose interest is confined to their own biological ancestors are missing most of the picture and much of the fun.

Peter Stewart

--
    This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software. www.avg.com
    Thanks, Peter.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From joseph cook@21:1/5 to Paulo Ricardo Canedo on Sat Nov 12 11:58:27 2022
    On Thursday, November 10, 2022 at 3:36:30 AM UTC-5, Paulo Ricardo Canedo wrote:
    A quinta-feira, 10 de novembro de 2022 à(s) 00:31:49 UTC, pss...@optusnet.com.au escreveu:
    More to the point in this forum is that Robespierre was not a medieval figure, but since he was an individual with ancestors and relatives he

He satisfies three of the four definitions for genealogy in the OED (of which the middle two are labelled as obsolete):

" 1. An account of one's descent from an ancestor or ancestors, by enumeration of the intermediate persons; a pedigree.
    study or knowledge."

Paolo,
    To be honest, I picked someone childless and more recent intentionally as a (probably too subtle) but intentional way to poke at the use of the term "genealogical figure", which I take to mean "anyone who could be placed within a family tree", which I
    take to mean "all humans". We are all part of the puzzle.
    --Joe C

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Denis Beauregard@21:1/5 to joecook@gmail.com on Sun Nov 13 10:18:26 2022
    On Sat, 12 Nov 2022 11:58:27 -0800 (PST), joseph cook
    <joecook@gmail.com> wrote in soc.genealogy.medieval:

To be honest, I picked someone childless and more recent intentionally as a (probably too subtle) but intentional way to poke at the use of the term "genealogical figure", which I take to mean "anyone who could be placed within a family tree", which
    I take to mean "all humans". We are all part of the puzzle.

In my database, I make a difference between isolated people and
    someone having at least some basic geenalogical link. So I have but
    won't display publicly

- soldiers or known people with a birth date or other data, but no
    spouse and no parents

and I will display in lists like royal connections people with a link
    to either their own family sheet with spouses (if married once) or
    to their parents (if married many times or not married at all).

Denis

--
    Denis Beauregard - généalogiste émérite (FQSG)
    Les Français d'Amérique du Nord - http://www.francogene.com/gfan/gfan/998/ French in North America before 1722 - http://www.francogene.com/gfna/gfna/998/ Sur cédérom/DVD/USB à 1790 - On CD-ROM/DVD/USB to 1790

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jinny Wallerstedt/Girl 57@21:1/5 to Denis Beauregard on Mon Nov 14 06:27:38 2022
    On Sunday, November 13, 2022 at 10:18:31 AM UTC-5, Denis Beauregard wrote:
    On Sat, 12 Nov 2022 11:58:27 -0800 (PST), joseph cook
    <joe...@gmail.com> wrote in soc.genealogy.medieval:
    To be honest, I picked someone childless and more recent intentionally as a (probably too subtle) but intentional way to poke at the use of the term "genealogical figure", which I take to mean "anyone who could be placed within a family tree", which
    I take to mean "all humans". We are all part of the puzzle.
    In my database, I make a difference between isolated people and
    someone having at least some basic geenalogical link. So I have but
    won't display publicly

- soldiers or known people with a birth date or other data, but no
    spouse and no parents

and I will display in lists like royal connections people with a link
    to either their own family sheet with spouses (if married once) or
    to their parents (if married many times or not married at all).

Denis

--
    Denis Beauregard - généalogiste émérite (FQSG)
    Les Français d'Amérique du Nord - http://www.francogene.com/gfan/gfan/998/ French in North America before 1722 - http://www.francogene.com/gfna/gfna/998/
    Sur cédérom/DVD/USB à 1790 - On CD-ROM/DVD/USB to 1790
    The responses to original question are interesting to me, as I'm the keeper of both sides of my family's genealogical information -- and of my husband's family's. I have adult stepchildren but no children of my own. I am, happily, by far the biggest "
    genealogical figure" in my family. Without my interest and compilations, the details and existences of many people would be obscure or forever unknown to my nearest and dearest and many others. In fact, I think it's because I don't have children, partly,
    that it's satisfying to explore and record predecessors' lives and times...to help make them real. This gives me an important role even though I'm sort of a "stub" on my own tree. This work somehow makes me a full-grown "leaf."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05