• Advice on Some London Research/Young Priest

From Jinny Wallerstedt/Girl 57@21:1/5 to All on Wed Oct 26 06:26:39 2022
    Hi, all. Would love a little input on a tough bit of exploration.

My research subject, Christopher Fitzrandall, was from Spennithorne and ordained in York ca 1485. He was the only member of his class -- in fact the only ordinand listed for a period of 25 years -- to be sent to London's Southwark Priory rather than
    somewhere inside his shire. His (probable but not proven) uncle was Sir John Conyers, K.G. and knight of body to Richard III and Henry VII, who later presented Christopher to a living in Kirkby-in-Ashfield, Notts, where he held advowson.

Where might I consider looking for any reference to either man that might be useful, i.e., activity by either man relating to housing, $$, or actions by John to smooth his nephew's way as a young priest? Or any institutions, etc. specifically London-
    related? Maybe Sir John made a donation to the priory with a request that he serve there, etc.? Any non-church-related actions 1485-1490? Have started to explore Diocese of Winchester bishop's transcripts and records, and records held at Hampshire and
    possibly Surrey record offices, and wonder what else in and near London might be fruitful.

Any thoughts enthusiastically welcomed. Thanks.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From robert.thecomputerman@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Oct 26 11:17:37 2022
    On Wednesday, October 26, 2022 at 10:26:43 AM UTC-3, Jinny Wallerstedt/Girl 57 wrote:

My research subject, Christopher Fitzrandall, was from Spennithorne and ordained in York ca 1485. He was the only member of his class -- in fact the only ordinand listed for a period of 25 years -- to be sent to London's Southwark Priory rather than
    somewhere inside his shire. His (probable but not proven) uncle was Sir John Conyers, K.G. and knight of body to Richard III and Henry VII, who later presented Christopher to a living in Kirkby-in-Ashfield, Notts, where he held advowson.

Where might I consider looking for any reference to either man that might be useful, i.e., activity by either man relating to housing, $$, or actions by John to smooth his nephew's way as a young priest? Or any institutions, etc. specifically London-
    related? Maybe Sir John made a donation to the priory with a request that he serve there, etc.? Any non-church-related actions 1485-1490? Have started to explore Diocese of Winchester bishop's transcripts and records, and records held at Hampshire and
    possibly Surrey record offices, and wonder what else in and near London might be fruitful.

Just a quick search of Conyers provides a curious find: Kirkby Ravensworth, York, is about 16 Km from Spennithorne, and Newsham is abt. 25 Km. The time period is 1486, I found this :

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/yorks/north/vol1/pp87-97#highlight-first
    Excerpt:
    [1286–7, by what title does not appear, Henry Picot or Pigot, (fn. 194) presumably a connexion of Cassandra who was holding part of the Fitz Hugh fee at that date, held the Fitz Alan fee of Newsham (fn. 195) and was assessed for the subsidy in Newsham
    in 1301–2. (fn. 196) Brian Pigot was joint lord of the vill in 1316, (fn. 197) and in 1340 a Brian Pigot of Mansfield settled tenements, a mill and quarter of a knight's fee in Mansfield and Newsham on himself for life, with successive remainders to
    his son John and his heirs, and to Henry son of Sir Geoffrey le Scrope, kt., and his right heirs. (fn. 198) Sir Henry Scrope, kt., gave the manor to Stephen Scrope, from whom it descended to his daughter Joan. (fn. 199) She married Sir Roger Swillington,
    kt., and as his widow died seised in 1427. (fn. 200) Her heirs were Conan son of Roger Aske and Elizabeth his wife, her daughter, Isabel wife of Robert Conyers of Sockburn, another daughter, and Margaret wife of William Edlington, a third daughter. (fn.
    201) The 'manor' seems to have been divided among these co-heirs, for in 1486–7 Christopher Conyers died seised of one-third, (fn. 202) and in 1420 his son William died seised of the same, leaving a son and heir Christopher. (fn. 203) There is no
    further mention of the manor.]

I'm wondering if these two Christopher de Conyers are any relation to Sir John Conyers..whereas your Christopher fitzRandall was from Spennithorne
    Regards.
    Robert

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jinny Wallerstedt/Girl 57@21:1/5 to robert.the...@gmail.com on Tue Nov 1 06:59:23 2022
    On Wednesday, October 26, 2022 at 2:17:39 PM UTC-4, robert.the...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Wednesday, October 26, 2022 at 10:26:43 AM UTC-3, Jinny Wallerstedt/Girl 57 wrote:

Just a quick search of Conyers provides a curious find: Kirkby Ravensworth, York, is about 16 Km from Spennithorne, and Newsham is abt. 25 Km. The time period is 1486, I found this :

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/yorks/north/vol1/pp87-97#highlight-first
    Excerpt:
    [1286–7, by what title does not appear, Henry Picot or Pigot, (fn. 194) presumably a connexion of Cassandra who was holding part of the Fitz Hugh fee at that date, held the Fitz Alan fee of Newsham (fn. 195) and was assessed for the subsidy in
    Newsham in 1301–2. (fn. 196) Brian Pigot was joint lord of the vill in 1316, (fn. 197) and in 1340 a Brian Pigot of Mansfield settled tenements, a mill and quarter of a knight's fee in Mansfield and Newsham on himself for life, with successive
    remainders to his son John and his heirs, and to Henry son of Sir Geoffrey le Scrope, kt., and his right heirs. (fn. 198) Sir Henry Scrope, kt., gave the manor to Stephen Scrope, from whom it descended to his daughter Joan. (fn. 199) She married Sir
    Roger Swillington, kt., and as his widow died seised in 1427. (fn. 200) Her heirs were Conan son of Roger Aske and Elizabeth his wife, her daughter, Isabel wife of Robert Conyers of Sockburn, another daughter, and Margaret wife of William Edlington, a
    third daughter. (fn. 201) The 'manor' seems to have been divided among these co-heirs, for in 1486–7 Christopher Conyers died seised of one-third, (fn. 202) and in 1420 his son William died seised of the same, leaving a son and heir Christopher. (fn.
    203) There is no further mention of the manor.]

I'm wondering if these two Christopher de Conyers are any relation to Sir John Conyers..whereas your Christopher fitzRandall was from Spennithorne
    Regards.
    Robert
    Robert, thank you for responding. I do know that two of the sisters of Sir John Conyers of Hornby (d. 1490) -- Katherine and Isabel -- married a Conan and a Roger Aske, respectively. But am not sure how these men were related to Askes cited in the Kirkby
    Ravensworth material. Hornby and Ravensworth are only about 15 miles apart, and neither is very far from Durham; according to hypotheses I've seen here in the group (John Watson, quite a while back), Sir John was perhaps descended from a Conyers family
    of Coatham Stub/Stob, Durham, cited here:

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/durham/vol3/pp299-304#h3-0004

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05