• Thomas St John of Charing; have I found him?

From Colin Piper@21:1/5 to All on Mon Oct 3 08:04:33 2022
    In Search of Thomas St John, of Charing Kent. Related names Cotton, Savage, Langham, Arundell
    I am trying to find the ancestry of Thomas St John of Charing in Kent, and think that I have made a breakthrough.
    This note is as short as possible and if anyone wants more detail on any of the references then please let me know.
    I hope that names in bold are direct ancestors.
    I consider myself to be descended from the marriage of Richard Cotton (c1480- aft 1534), of Hamstall Ridware (Staffordshire) and Johanna St John (c 1476 -1534), daughter of Thomas St John of Charing, (Kent).
    The marriage above is documented on the sides of an Altar Tomb in Hamstall Ridware Church, dedicated to John Cotton (-c1478) and Joanna Fitzherbert of Norbury (c1435-c 1525), and lists brief details of their 15 children. This Altar Tomb must have been
    erected in the lifetime of their children as it lists some that died early and who are not documented elsewhere. If anyone wants a copy of the transcriptions on the side of the Altar Tomb then please let me know.
    The relevant wording for Richard Cotton is “Richard mar Jahne one of the daughters and heirs to Thomas St John of Charyng in Kent, also to Alis daughter to Gilbert Savage.”
    The wording for Richard’s elder brother John Cotton is “John mar Alice, daughter and heir to Richard Langham, of Langham, co Suffolk”
    The fact that Alice Langham was married first to Thomas St John, is not covered above, but is clearly shown via the Langham of Langham family tree shown in Muskett’s Suffolk Manorial Families.
    At this point, the following extra information is available
    • Alice Langham and Thomas St John married in 1473
    • There were 4 daughters; Joanna, Bridget (married William Waller), Elizabeth (married John Haward), and NN
    • The manors shown for Thomas (Panfield and Hempstead, both in Essex) were those of his wife Alice, so she must have had some wealth. No mention of Charing in Kent, so assume that Thomas did not then have a connection with Charing.
    • Thomas died around 1478/9 ( 4 daughters after 1473 v Alice marriage to John in 1481)
    • Alice subsequently married John Cotton in 1481. John was born c 1460, Alice probably c1455, and a new family of Cottons arose in Panfield
    • Richard Cotton was the youngest surviving brother of John Cotton, and married Joanna the daughter of Alice Langham and Thomas St John
    A great deal of personal research about St John families in Charing, Kent turned up absolutely nothing about Thomas and very little about the St John family. This includes;
    • Edward Hasted’s History and Topographicial Survey of the County of Kent, Vol 7(1798) describes “…..Burleigh or Burley Manor,( Charing) came into the possession of the St Johns who bore for their arms Argent, a mullet sable on a chief gules,
    three mullets pierced of the first. At length Avis daughter of William St John of Charing carried it in marriage to Humphry Barrey esq who afterwards dwelt here, and was from hence styled Barrey, of Charing. But it does not seem to have remained long in
    this name, for it soon afterwards came into the possession of a family, called Dallingridge, of eminent note in Hampshire, whose arms were Argent, a cross engailed, gules; and Sir Edward Dallingridge by fine levied in the first year of King Richard II (
    1377), passed it away to Roger Dallingridge and Alice his wife, and they not long afterwards conveyed it by sale to Thomas Brockhull of Calehill….”. Few dates and vague. But see later on
    • Edward St John of Barlavington (who was also the Edward St John of Kent covered later on) is shown as a debtor on 21/10/1390 with a debt proven against William Best, the elder, of Charing in Kent
    • A Canterbury Will existed for an Edward St John of Charing in 1457. In latin OK, but the script was hard for me to read. But see later on.
    In the course of this research I learned a lot about the various St John lines. This is not the place or space to describe how the various lines fit in with each other, and how so many Johns, Edwards, Olivers, and Alexanders with similar dates have
    resulted in so many inconsistent family trees, even the professionally family trees!
    This research proved useful in helping my wife’s research her own St John ancestors, where the most recent example was the Barbara St John of Bletso who married Thomas William Coventry, the 6th Earl of Coventry.
    During 2015 a long discussion evolved in Soc Gen Med about the five Sir Edward St Johns who were alive at the same time during the 1300’s and included the mention of a Sir Edward St John, “of Kent” died before 1398, who married Alice (died 1422)
    the widow of Roger Dallingridge. Alice was said to own many manors in Kent. My research showed that Burleigh Manor, Charing was one of those and transferred to Roger and Alice Dallingridge in 1377. Roger Dallingridge died in 1380, and Alice subsequently
    married Sir Edward St John. I am taking Edward Hasted’s words “not long afterwards” meaning as before Roger Dallingridge’s death, so the manor of Burleigh almost made it back to the St Johns before being sold off again. But Edward St John did
    have dealings in Charing as judged by the debitor note above.
    If “my” Thomas St John of Charing had any connection with Burleigh Manor (even if he did not own it) there is some circumstantial evidence that Thomas was somehow descended from the marriage of Sir Edward St John of Kent and Alice. But I just needed
    to find the descent to Thomas.
    Alas, I have not found this link. Edward St John (-1398) and Alice had a son William (-1437) who had a son John, who had a daughter Elizabeth, so no obvious way through to the dates for Thomas St John. If anyone has better information than this, then
    please let me know.
    It seemed a brick wall.
    Amongst the Canterbury Wills was one for Edward St John of Charing in Kent who died in 1457 (probate date 22/12/1457) and who just might have been Thomas’s father. This Will was in latin and was translated for me by an expert at Devon Heritage Centre
    in Exeter.
    Edward St John of Charing (-1457) proved also to be Edward St John of East Luccombe and Selworthy (-1457), both on the Devon/Somerset border! Edward’s will makes various gifts to the churches in these villages, leaves a house to his servant, and
    leaves the estate to his eldest son William. If you want a copy of the will then please let me know.
    I was not expecting this, so research took off in a new direction.
    The St Johns of East Luccombe are described in ;
    • Wikipedia (very briefly)
    • Geni (very patchy)
    • The Parish of Selworthy in the county of Somerset, by Frederick Hancock (vicar)
    • St John of Bletsoe by John Brownbill (1931)
    • St John Genealogy Project (which includes a large number of original sources)
    • Stirnet and Complete Peerage cover the St Johns of Fonmon and Lageham. Luccombe is not specifically mentioned, but some of the names mentioned may also be from Instow and Luccombe.
    Lots of words and at least two printed family trees of the St John family of Luccombe, which unfortunately differ.
    There is a Thomas St John in one of the family trees, who was born in 1430 with sp written beside the name. SP means Sine Prole means no children? Not Sans Pareil! Thomas must have been c 43 when he married Alice Langham, so there is scope for an
    earlier marriage without children, or a very late marriage. It all depends on what information was available when the family tree was put together, in a situation where his two siblings were much higher profile. Thomas’s parents were Edward St John (18/
    2/1395 -1457) and Joan le Jewe (c 1400-) daughter of William and Alice le Jewe. The case for Thomas depends on;
    • Dates are right
    • “Of Charing” is shared with Edward St John, who is shown as his father in the family tree
    • he had a mother called Joan(ne), a sister called Joan(na) and a daughter called Joan(na).
    • Reference to Thomas (and Joanna) in the provision made by Edward St John
    Just need to understand the sp. Perhaps it was sp at the point when William dies in 1473.
    Edward and Joan had children as follows;
    • William St John, (c1420 – 20/9/1473) married Alice. Before leaving his property to William, Edward had made provision for his two younger children Joanna and Thomas
    • Joanna St John (c 1425-5/6/1482) married Nicholas de Arundell of Trerice in Cornwall and received William’s property on the death of William’s widow Alice. East Luccombe and Selworthy were held by the Arundell family for hundreds of years until
    being passed by marriage to the Wentworth family (1768) and then the Acland family (1802) of Holnicot and Killerton. Selworthy and East Luccombe are now owned by the National Trust, following Sir Richard Acland’s gift in 1944.
    • Thomas St John (c1430-) sp. See above
    I have not yet found the document detailing the provision made by Edward for Thomas and it very possible that it was the property owned by Edward in Charing and where he died in 1457. It may just be coincidence that Burleigh Manor was also situated in
    Charing?
    Edward’s father was Henry St John (c 1336- 24/9/1406), who married Isabelle with children as follows;
    • Edward St John, (18/2/1395 – 1457) who married Joan Jewe (c 1400) daughter of William and Alice Jewe. Edward has left a will, filed under Edward St John of Charing. Edward had perfectly good properties in East Luccombe/Selworthy, so why is he
    titled “of Charing” for the purpose of his will?
    Henry St John was the youngest son of Alexander St John and Margaret Arundell who was one of the Cornish family, and not a family member from the FitzAlan earls of Arundel.
    • Sir Oliver St John (c1320-1373) who married Elizabeth Luccombe, had son John who married another Elizabeth and died abroad, without legitimate offspring. Other family trees give Oliver a second wife after Elizabeth’s death and a line that leads to
    the St John’s of Bletso. See below
    • John St John c1322-bef 1380
    • Alexandra St John c1324 -1375
    • Theobald St John c 1330- bef 1380
    • Henry St John c 1336 – 24/9/1406. IPM writ 10/10/1406 Exeter
    After Alexander’s (aft 1351) and Oliver’s (8/1373) death, and the death of Oliver’s son John abroad in his father’s lifetime, Henry had outlived all of his siblings and took possession of the manors of East Luccombe and Selworthy. John’s widow
    Elizabeth tried to dispute this but without success; Henry remained in possession. Henry also held Stockleigh Luccombe in socage of the heirs of William Baggeputz by the service of one pair of white spurs.
    The detail here comes from membrane 13 Nov 2 1339, Kennington;
    • Licence for Alexander de Sancto Johanne and Elizabeth (widow of Hugh Luccombe) his wife and Oliver De Sancto Johanne and Elizabeth (Luccombe) his wife to Enfeoff Richard de Morcastre, parson of the church of Luccombe, of the manor of East Luccombe
    co Somerset, and the advowsons of the churches of Luccombe and Selworthy, held in chief as of the honour of Pynkeneye, and for him to re-grant the same to the said Alexander and Elizabeth his wife for life, with successive remainders in tail to Oliver
    and Elizabeth his wife, to John, Theobald and Henry, sons of the said Alexander, and reversion to the right heirs of the said John.
    The Honour of Pinkney was owned by Hugh de Luccombe
    Several sources suggest that the St Johns of Instow and Luccombe are the same as the St Johns of Fonmon/Faumont in Glamorgan. So I tried to make the data above fit what is known about the Fonmon St Johns.
    Elizabeth Luccombe was born on 5 May 1320, as this date was attested before she married Oliver St John so there is one fixed date. The birth date of 1346 for Oliver suggested by several web sites seems far too late, allowing little time for Elizabeth
    Luccombe’s early death, a second marriage to Elizabeth Delabere and a son, another John who presented as an adult to Instow church in 1379 and 1387. One source even suggests a birthdate for the younger John of 1383 ie after Oliver’s death!
    The 1346 birth date for Oliver seems to cause an extra generation to be added, allowing a Sir John St John who married Elizabeth Paveley, before the Alexander St John who married Elizabeth Umfreville, except that Alexander was called John who seems to
    have the same dates and wife as Alexander! Brownbill suggested that it was Collins who suggested the name of John, and this has been widely copied.
    What is needed is a definitive family tree for the St Johns of Fonmon. Help! Then I noticed that the St Johns Genealogy web site suggests Alexander as the son of Sir John St John of Lageham, 1st baron, so I have extended Alexander’s family to reflect this option.
    Alexander St John, of Instow and East Luccombe, c1286- aft 1351. Born Stanton St John, Oxon. Died in Instow, Devon. Alexander married first Margaret Arundell (mother of the children), and then Elizabeth widow of Hugh Luccombe (-1323), whose daughter and
    heiress Elizabeth (1320-) married Alexander’s eldest son Sir Oliver (1320-1373).
    The St John Project web site claims that Alexander was the youngest son of Sir John de St John, first baron St John of Lageham (c1255 – bef 7/1316). Although called baron of Lageham, in Surrey, they lived in Stanton St John, Oxfordshire. A major extra
    landholding in Swallowfield came by Roger St John’s (John’s father) marriage to a Despenser heir.
    Many primary records are included within the St John Project web site and I have been very selective in including the following. These records have to tie a specific St John to a specific area.
    One outstanding query relates to the wife shown for the first baron shown as Beatrix Broye, who I thought was married to a John de St John (c 1267 -aft 1346) of the Fonmon/Faumont line. Stirnet shows the wife of the first baron as Margaret, and Geni as
    Maud FitzNigel.
    There are two references confirming that John de St John of Lageham held Instow (near Barnstaple, Devon)
    1296 held the fee of Instow. J Brownbill art cit 356 Cardiff Records Vol 1 (Cardiff 1898) 264
    1316 held the fee of Instow. Inquisitions and Assessments related to Feudal Aids 1284-1431 Vol (London 1899), 372, 375
    Children as follows;
    • John de St John, 2nd baron. C1276 (Lageham) died 16/6/1332
    • William de St John. (c1278 – c 1353)
    • Nicholas of Glympton, (c 1279 -1362)
    • Thomas St John. (c1280 – c 1360) Died in Lageham
    • Henry St John (c 1283- 1309). Cleric of Doddicombsleigh, Devon
    • Laurence St John, ( c1284 -aft 1308) Hellestone, Devon
    • Edward St John (c 1285- aft 1312) Tawstock, Devon
    • Alexander St John (c 1286 -aft 1351), born Stanton St John. Templar?, died Instow
    Alexander St John references
    • 1307. Alexander son of John of Staunton (Stanton?) to grant land in Eversholt to the Abbot and convent of Woburn, Beds .
    • 1316 Inherited Instow from his father?
    • 1318 The Register of Bishop Grandisson (Instow). Alexander de Sancto Johanne presents to Instow
    • 1333 Tawstock (near Barnstaple)“Alexander de Sancto Johanne, Knight Templar. Most curious of all, just outside Barnstaple lies a chapel of St John, very near to the interestingly named village of Templeton, the parish records of which list one
    Alexander de Sancto Johanne as being a regular attendee at the chapel and describes him as a Knight Templar, which is odd because the records are dated 1333, 20 years after the Templars were supposed to have been forced to leave the order or be
    imprisoned”.
    • 2/11/1339 Alexander St John was granted East Luccombe on his marriage to Elizabeth Luccombe, and his son Oliver’s marriage to her daughter.
    • 1351 The register of Bishop Grandisson (for Instow). This is far later than the dates for the John/Alexander St John of Fonmon.

All feedback welcome!

Colin Piper

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Lone Ranger@21:1/5 to Colin Piper on Thu Dec 22 04:23:58 2022
    On Monday, October 3, 2022 at 8:04:35 AM UTC-7, Colin Piper wrote:
    In Search of Thomas St John, of Charing Kent. Related names Cotton, Savage, Langham, Arundell
    I am trying to find the ancestry of Thomas St John of Charing in Kent, and think that I have made a breakthrough.
    This note is as short as possible and if anyone wants more detail on any of the references then please let me know.
    I consider myself to be descended from the marriage of Richard Cotton (c1480- aft 1534), of Hamstall Ridware (Staffordshire) and Johanna St John (c 1476 -1534), daughter of Thomas St John of Charing, (Kent).
    The marriage above is documented on the sides of an Altar Tomb in Hamstall Ridware Church, dedicated to John Cotton (-c1478) and Joanna Fitzherbert of Norbury (c1435-c 1525), and lists brief details of their 15 children. This Altar Tomb must have been
    erected in the lifetime of their children as it lists some that died early and who are not documented elsewhere. If anyone wants a copy of the transcriptions on the side of the Altar Tomb then please let me know.
    The relevant wording for Richard Cotton is “Richard mar Jahne one of the daughters and heirs to Thomas St John of Charyng in Kent, also to Alis daughter to Gilbert Savage.”
    The wording for Richard’s elder brother John Cotton is “John mar Alice, daughter and heir to Richard Langham, of Langham, co Suffolk”
    The fact that Alice Langham was married first to Thomas St John, is not covered above, but is clearly shown via the Langham of Langham family tree shown in Muskett’s Suffolk Manorial Families.
    • There were 4 daughters; Joanna, Bridget (married William Waller), Elizabeth (married John Haward), and NN
    • The manors shown for Thomas (Panfield and Hempstead, both in Essex) were those of his wife Alice, so she must have had some wealth. No mention of Charing in Kent, so assume that Thomas did not then have a connection with Charing.
    • Thomas died around 1478/9 ( 4 daughters after 1473 v Alice marriage to John in 1481)
    • Alice subsequently married John Cotton in 1481. John was born c 1460, Alice probably c1455, and a new family of Cottons arose in Panfield
    • Richard Cotton was the youngest surviving brother of John Cotton, and married Joanna the daughter of Alice Langham and Thomas St John
    A great deal of personal research about St John families in Charing, Kent turned up absolutely nothing about Thomas and very little about the St John family. This includes;
    • Edward Hasted’s History and Topographicial Survey of the County of Kent, Vol 7(1798) describes “…..Burleigh or Burley Manor,( Charing) came into the possession of the St Johns who bore for their arms Argent, a mullet sable on a chief gules,
    three mullets pierced of the first. At length Avis daughter of William St John of Charing carried it in marriage to Humphry Barrey esq who afterwards dwelt here, and was from hence styled Barrey, of Charing. But it does not seem to have remained long in
    this name, for it soon afterwards came into the possession of a family, called Dallingridge, of eminent note in Hampshire, whose arms were Argent, a cross engailed, gules; and Sir Edward Dallingridge by fine levied in the first year of King Richard II (
    1377), passed it away to Roger Dallingridge and Alice his wife, and they not long afterwards conveyed it by sale to Thomas Brockhull of Calehill….”. Few dates and vague. But see later on
    • Edward St John of Barlavington (who was also the Edward St John of Kent covered later on) is shown as a debtor on 21/10/1390 with a debt proven against William Best, the elder, of Charing in Kent
    • A Canterbury Will existed for an Edward St John of Charing in 1457. In latin OK, but the script was hard for me to read. But see later on.
    In the course of this research I learned a lot about the various St John lines. This is not the place or space to describe how the various lines fit in with each other, and how so many Johns, Edwards, Olivers, and Alexanders with similar dates have
    resulted in so many inconsistent family trees, even the professionally family trees!
    This research proved useful in helping my wife’s research her own St John ancestors, where the most recent example was the Barbara St John of Bletso who married Thomas William Coventry, the 6th Earl of Coventry.
    During 2015 a long discussion evolved in Soc Gen Med about the five Sir Edward St Johns who were alive at the same time during the 1300’s and included the mention of a Sir Edward St John, “of Kent” died before 1398, who married Alice (died 1422)
    the widow of Roger Dallingridge. Alice was said to own many manors in Kent. My research showed that Burleigh Manor, Charing was one of those and transferred to Roger and Alice Dallingridge in 1377. Roger Dallingridge died in 1380, and Alice subsequently
    married Sir Edward St John. I am taking Edward Hasted’s words “not long afterwards” meaning as before Roger Dallingridge’s death, so the manor of Burleigh almost made it back to the St Johns before being sold off again. But Edward St John did
    If “my” Thomas St John of Charing had any connection with Burleigh Manor (even if he did not own it) there is some circumstantial evidence that Thomas was somehow descended from the marriage of Sir Edward St John of Kent and Alice. But I just
    needed to find the descent to Thomas.
    Alas, I have not found this link. Edward St John (-1398) and Alice had a son William (-1437) who had a son John, who had a daughter Elizabeth, so no obvious way through to the dates for Thomas St John. If anyone has better information than this, then
    please let me know.
    It seemed a brick wall.
    Amongst the Canterbury Wills was one for Edward St John of Charing in Kent who died in 1457 (probate date 22/12/1457) and who just might have been Thomas’s father. This Will was in latin and was translated for me by an expert at Devon Heritage Centre
    in Exeter.
    Edward St John of Charing (-1457) proved also to be Edward St John of East Luccombe and Selworthy (-1457), both on the Devon/Somerset border! Edward’s will makes various gifts to the churches in these villages, leaves a house to his servant, and
    leaves the estate to his eldest son William. If you want a copy of the will then please let me know.
    • Geni (very patchy)
    • The Parish of Selworthy in the county of Somerset, by Frederick Hancock (vicar)
    • Stirnet and Complete Peerage cover the St Johns of Fonmon and Lageham. Luccombe is not specifically mentioned, but some of the names mentioned may also be from Instow and Luccombe.
    Lots of words and at least two printed family trees of the St John family of Luccombe, which unfortunately differ.
    There is a Thomas St John in one of the family trees, who was born in 1430 with sp written beside the name. SP means Sine Prole means no children? Not Sans Pareil! Thomas must have been c 43 when he married Alice Langham, so there is scope for an
    earlier marriage without children, or a very late marriage. It all depends on what information was available when the family tree was put together, in a situation where his two siblings were much higher profile. Thomas’s parents were Edward St John (18/
    2/1395 -1457) and Joan le Jewe (c 1400-) daughter of William and Alice le Jewe.
    The case for Thomas depends on;
    • Dates are right
    • “Of Charing” is shared with Edward St John, who is shown as his father in the family tree
    • he had a mother called Joan(ne), a sister called Joan(na) and a daughter called Joan(na).
    • Reference to Thomas (and Joanna) in the provision made by Edward St John Just need to understand the sp. Perhaps it was sp at the point when William dies in 1473.
    • William St John, (c1420 – 20/9/1473) married Alice. Before leaving his property to William, Edward had made provision for his two younger children Joanna and Thomas
    • Joanna St John (c 1425-5/6/1482) married Nicholas de Arundell of Trerice in Cornwall and received William’s property on the death of William’s widow Alice. East Luccombe and Selworthy were held by the Arundell family for hundreds of years until
    being passed by marriage to the Wentworth family (1768) and then the Acland family (1802) of Holnicot and Killerton. Selworthy and East Luccombe are now owned by the National Trust, following Sir Richard Acland’s gift in 1944.
    I have not yet found the document detailing the provision made by Edward for Thomas and it very possible that it was the property owned by Edward in Charing and where he died in 1457. It may just be coincidence that Burleigh Manor was also situated in
    Charing?
    Edward’s father was Henry St John (c 1336- 24/9/1406), who married Isabelle with children as follows;
    • Edward St John, (18/2/1395 – 1457) who married Joan Jewe (c 1400) daughter of William and Alice Jewe. Edward has left a will, filed under Edward St John of Charing. Edward had perfectly good properties in East Luccombe/Selworthy, so why is he
    Henry St John was the youngest son of Alexander St John and Margaret Arundell who was one of the Cornish family, and not a family member from the FitzAlan earls of Arundel.
    • Sir Oliver St John (c1320-1373) who married Elizabeth Luccombe, had son John who married another Elizabeth and died abroad, without legitimate offspring. Other family trees give Oliver a second wife after Elizabeth’s death and a line that leads
    to the St John’s of Bletso. See below
    After Alexander’s (aft 1351) and Oliver’s (8/1373) death, and the death of Oliver’s son John abroad in his father’s lifetime, Henry had outlived all of his siblings and took possession of the manors of East Luccombe and Selworthy. John’s
    widow Elizabeth tried to dispute this but without success; Henry remained in possession. Henry also held Stockleigh Luccombe in socage of the heirs of William Baggeputz by the service of one pair of white spurs.
    • Licence for Alexander de Sancto Johanne and Elizabeth (widow of Hugh Luccombe) his wife and Oliver De Sancto Johanne and Elizabeth (Luccombe) his wife to Enfeoff Richard de Morcastre, parson of the church of Luccombe, of the manor of East Luccombe
    co Somerset, and the advowsons of the churches of Luccombe and Selworthy, held in chief as of the honour of Pynkeneye, and for him to re-grant the same to the said Alexander and Elizabeth his wife for life, with successive remainders in tail to Oliver
    and Elizabeth his wife, to John, Theobald and Henry, sons of the said Alexander, and reversion to the right heirs of the said John.
    Several sources suggest that the St Johns of Instow and Luccombe are the same as the St Johns of Fonmon/Faumont in Glamorgan. So I tried to make the data above fit what is known about the Fonmon St Johns.
    Elizabeth Luccombe was born on 5 May 1320, as this date was attested before she married Oliver St John so there is one fixed date. The birth date of 1346 for Oliver suggested by several web sites seems far too late, allowing little time for Elizabeth
    Luccombe’s early death, a second marriage to Elizabeth Delabere and a son, another John who presented as an adult to Instow church in 1379 and 1387. One source even suggests a birthdate for the younger John of 1383 ie after Oliver’s death!
    The 1346 birth date for Oliver seems to cause an extra generation to be added, allowing a Sir John St John who married Elizabeth Paveley, before the Alexander St John who married Elizabeth Umfreville, except that Alexander was called John who seems to
    have the same dates and wife as Alexander! Brownbill suggested that it was Collins who suggested the name of John, and this has been widely copied.
    What is needed is a definitive family tree for the St Johns of Fonmon. Help! Then I noticed that the St Johns Genealogy web site suggests Alexander as the son of Sir John St John of Lageham, 1st baron, so I have extended Alexander’s family to reflect this option.
    ********************************************************************* Alexander St John, of Instow and East Luccombe, c1286- aft 1351. Born Stanton St John, Oxon. Died in Instow, Devon. Alexander married first Margaret Arundell (mother of the children), and then Elizabeth widow of Hugh Luccombe (-1323), whose daughter
    and heiress Elizabeth (1320-) married Alexander’s eldest son Sir Oliver (1320-1373).
    The St John Project web site claims that Alexander was the youngest son of Sir John de St John, first baron St John of Lageham (c1255 – bef 7/1316). Although called baron of Lageham, in Surrey, they lived in Stanton St John, Oxfordshire. A major
    extra landholding in Swallowfield came by Roger St John’s (John’s father) marriage to a Despenser heir.
    Many primary records are included within the St John Project web site and I have been very selective in including the following. These records have to tie a specific St John to a specific area.
    One outstanding query relates to the wife shown for the first baron shown as Beatrix Broye, who I thought was married to a John de St John (c 1267 -aft 1346) of the Fonmon/Faumont line. Stirnet shows the wife of the first baron as Margaret, and Geni as
    Maud FitzNigel.
    There are two references confirming that John de St John of Lageham held Instow (near Barnstaple, Devon)
    1296 held the fee of Instow. J Brownbill art cit 356 Cardiff Records Vol 1 (Cardiff 1898) 264
    1316 held the fee of Instow. Inquisitions and Assessments related to Feudal Aids 1284-1431 Vol (London 1899), 372, 375
    Children as follows;
    • Alexander St John (c 1286 -aft 1351), born Stanton St John. Templar?, died Instow
    • 1307. Alexander son of John of Staunton (Stanton?) to grant land in Eversholt to the Abbot and convent of Woburn, Beds .
    • 1318 The Register of Bishop Grandisson (Instow). Alexander de Sancto Johanne presents to Instow
    • 1333 Tawstock (near Barnstaple)“Alexander de Sancto Johanne, Knight Templar. Most curious of all, just outside Barnstaple lies a chapel of St John, very near to the interestingly named village of Templeton, the parish records of which list one
    Alexander de Sancto Johanne as being a regular attendee at the chapel and describes him as a Knight Templar, which is odd because the records are dated 1333, 20 years after the Templars were supposed to have been forced to leave the order or be
    imprisoned”.
    • 2/11/1339 Alexander St John was granted East Luccombe on his marriage to Elizabeth Luccombe, and his son Oliver’s marriage to her daughter.
    • 1351 The register of Bishop Grandisson (for Instow). This is far later than the dates for the John/Alexander St John of Fonmon.

All feedback welcome!

Colin Piper
    Hello Mr. Piper, will you email me please stjohngenealogy AT gmail dot com.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Johnson@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 22 09:30:26 2022
    Do you have a specific source for the 1534 year ?
    I note that the Vis Devon says "8th son Ao 1534"
    I have always taken the Ao notation to mean that he is so-called this in that year
    Not specifically that he died that year

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Colin Piper@21:1/5 to wjhons...@gmail.com on Wed Dec 28 02:10:01 2022
    On Thursday, 22 December 2022 at 17:30:28 UTC, wjhons...@gmail.com wrote:
    Do you have a specific source for the 1534 year ?
    I note that the Vis Devon says "8th son Ao 1534"
    I have always taken the Ao notation to mean that he is so-called this in that year
    Not specifically that he died that year

Sorry about the slow response!
    I do not have an exact date for the deaths of Richard Cotton or Joan St John Cotton.
    This research was done over 30 years ago.
    Neither Richard nor Joan had IPMs, that I have found.
    I believe that Richard outlasted Joan by a few years as this allows for his second marriage to Alice Savage and the birth of just one child.

The sequence is quite complicated in sorting out the various Richard Cottons. The best explanation I have seen is from Hikaru Kitabayashi in an article for a Genealogy Forum (the Cottons of Cotton Edmunds; 29/11/2007) Most web sites get the succession
    badly wrong even Stirnet, and I am happier that mine is probably correct, than worrying about not having an exact death date.

I am sure that your sources are better than mine!

Keep up the good work and Happy New Year

Colin

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mk@21:1/5 to Colin Piper on Thu Feb 16 19:33:07 2023
    On Monday, October 3, 2022 at 11:04:35 AM UTC-4, Colin Piper wrote:

Hi, Colin

I was looking at that family today. Katharine (Barsham) Rippelingham's will of Feb. 8, 1473 got me started. She was widow of (1) William Southcote [of Southwark and Rotherhithe?] the latter was buried at the Monastery of Westminster, and (2) Thomas
    Rippelingham + 1469. She names her granddaughter Alice St. John, as well as Thomas St. John, esq. (from other sources he appears to be her husband, the will does not make the relationship quite clear. However, we find that the testator's daughter by her
    first husband (Southcote) was Elizabeth who married (1) Richard Langham and (2) Richard Welden. Richard Langham left an only daughter named Alice who married (1) Thomas St. John and (2) John, son of John Cotton of Ridward Hamstall in Staffordshire. lmk
    if you have trouble locating this information, I did not take good notes, as they are not related to me, but can likely easily find the various links again.

As to Edward St. John and his wife Alice, I now suspect them to be the Edward who married Alice Rokesley, daughter of Sir John Rokesley of Shelve + ca 1439 and named in the ipm of their son William St. John, 1439.
    WILLIAM SEYNT JOHN.
    Inquisition, virtute officii, 13 July, 15 Henry VII.
    John de Rokesle, knight, was seised in fee of the under-mentioned manor, and granted it by charter to Robert de Rokesle, his son, to hold to him and the heirs of his body. Robert died seised of the manor in fee tail, and after his death the manor
    descended to Richard, his son and heir. Richard died seised of the manor in fee tail, and after his death the manor descended to Alice, his daughter and heir, who married a certain Edward Seynt John. Edward and Alice were seised of the manor in fee tail,
    in right of the said Alice, and had issue William Seynt John. Alice survived her husband, and died sole seised of the manor in form aforesaid. After her death the manor descended to the said William as her son and heir, and he entered and was seised
    thereof in fee tail.
    He died 4 November, 18 Henry VI. Elizabeth Massy, widow, aged 71 years and more, is his daughter and heir. Edward Mille and Edmund Mille, late of the parish of Lenham, co. Kent, intruded into the manor and took the issues and profits thereof from the
    time of the death of the said William until the taking of this inquisition. KENT.
    Manor of Shelve, worth 100s., held of the king in chief by service of a third part of a knight’s fee.
    Endorsed:—Execucio fit sicut continetur in Memorandis de anno xvj. regis nunc, videlicet, inter Recorda de termino Sancti Michaelis rotulo —, exparte rememoratoris thesaurarii.

William's daughter Elizabeth Massy married (1) Roger [in some accounts Henry] Dyke (2) Nicholas Hussey (with three daughters who married (depending on the account) Lovell, Lewkner, and Bray), and lastly Ralph Massy/Massey. Her ipm was 1506 at which time
    she was 78, so born ca 1428. No idea where Thomas fits in, but I'll keep my eyes open.

Inquisition: Post mortem, 28 Mar 1506. 3 31. ELIZABETH MASSY.

Writ 28 March, inquisition 3 May, 21 Henry VII.

She was seised in fee of the under-mentioned manors &c., and suffered a recovery thereof to John Warnet and John Nicholl in Trinity term, 19 Henry VII, [to the use of] herself and her heirs and the performance of her last will.

Afterwards on 11 November, 21 Henry VII, upon espousals to be celebrated between Elizabeth Dyke and John Shirley, the said Elizabeth Massy covenanted and granted to the same John Shirley and Elizabeth Dyke all the under-mentioned lands &c. in Petworth,
    Byworth and Eggden, to hold for life in survivorship; and on 10 June, 21 Henry VII, the said John Warnett and John Nicholl, at her instance and in fulfilment of [the said covenant], by their charter gave all the said lands &c. to John and Elizabeth for
    life, by virtue whereof they were seised in their demesne as of free tenement and still survive so seised.

Further [the said John Warnett and John Nicholl], by their charter dated 7 July, 19 Henry VII, gave all the said manors &c., except the lands &c. in [Petworth, Byworth and] Eggden, to the said Elizabeth Massy, to hold to her and her heirs for ever.

Afterwards, on 2 August, 19 Henry VII, the said Elizabeth [by charter gave the said manors] &c., except as before excepted, to John Fyneux, knight, and Thomas Frowyk, knight, chief justices of the king, William Tysted, John Ernley and others, and they
    were seised thereof accordingly in fee.

By her last will the said Elizabeth willed and declared, inter alia, [that her executors] should have and take the issues and profits of all the said manors &c. for 15 years after her death for the discharge of divers payments and legacies &c., and
    should take the residue of the issues and profits thereof to their own use during the said term.

Further she willed that the said John Fyneux and Thomas Frowyk, knights, William Tysted, John Ernley, John Warnet and John Nicholl, and other her feoffees, should stand seised of the premises to the uses and intentions in her last will specified. They
    are still so seised.

She died on Friday before the Annunciation last. John Dyke, aged 6 years and more, is her kinsman and heir, to wit, son of Thomas, son of Henry, her son.

SUSSEX. Manors of Bewgenet, Barlavington and Lurgatsale and 40 messuages, 3000a. land, 1000a. meadow, 5000a. pasture, 500a. wood and 1000a. furze and heath in Barlavington, Bewgenet, Lurgatsale, Byworth, Cotes, Warnycampe, Eggden, Northmerden, Fitelworth
    and Petworth, worth 40l., held of …… .

C. Series II. Vol. 19. (7.)

best, Monica

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mk@21:1/5 to All on Sun Feb 19 08:32:37 2023
    On Thursday, February 16, 2023 at 10:33:08 PM UTC-5, mk wrote:

further to above, I note this source agrees with your placement of Thomas.

https://www.stjohngenealogy.com/getperson.php?personID=SSH0019&tree=OSA0001

Of interest, the manor of Shelve, which came to William St. John +1439 (from his mother Alice de Rokesley) is very near Charing. William also held the Barlavington manors which came to him from Eve St. John +1354 via his parents Edward +ca 1398 and Alice
    + aft 1405 and which were later passed to his great granddaughters Eleanor Dering and Constance Goring.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Lone Ranger@21:1/5 to All on Sun Feb 19 12:56:53 2023
    On Sunday, February 19, 2023 at 8:32:39 AM UTC-8, mk wrote:
    On Thursday, February 16, 2023 at 10:33:08 PM UTC-5, mk wrote:
    further to above, I note this source agrees with your placement of Thomas.

https://www.stjohngenealogy.com/getperson.php?personID=SSH0019&tree=OSA0001

Of interest, the manor of Shelve, which came to William St. John +1439 (from his mother Alice de Rokesley) is very near Charing. William also held the Barlavington manors which came to him from Eve St. John +1354 via his parents Edward +ca 1398 and
    Alice + aft 1405 and which were later passed to his great granddaughters Eleanor Dering and Constance Goring.

Monica,
    I think Edward St. John that married Alice de Rokesley is from an earlier generation. https://www.stjohngenealogy.com/getperson.php?personID=I11747&tree=OSA0001

The other Edward St. John married Joan Jew (confirmed by heraldry at East Luccombe), who I believe are the parents of Thomas St. John of Charing. https://www.stjohngenealogy.com/getperson.php?personID=SSH0019&tree=OSA0001

The Waller family apparently stayed connected to the St. John families in the American colonies - specifically CT colony.

The biggest problem with placement is most publications merged the de Port-St. Johns with my lineage - descendants of Ralph St. John-Paynel d. 1122. It took me four years to separate the lineages with primary records and DNA.

There are some Edwards in the de Port-St. John family as well. One who married an Eve. Do you know the relationship of the Eve you mentioned?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mk@21:1/5 to Lone Ranger on Sun Feb 19 14:05:55 2023
    On Sunday, February 19, 2023 at 3:56:54 PM UTC-5, Lone Ranger wrote:

There are some Edwards in the de Port-St. John family as well. One who married an Eve. Do you know the relationship of the Eve you mentioned?

I've been trying to piece together the line of Edward and Alice (Rokesley/Ruxly) this week. I've made profiles of them on Wikitree, so perhaps this will trigger some input from other St. John researchers. They are very rough, so far, just what I've found
    the last two or three days. There's clearly a connection with Eve Dawtry, wife of the Sir Edward who died 1347, though I don't know if she is the Eve you meant.

Have a look and lmk if you have anything that might be relevant. I think there's enough to connect Edward, husband of Alice, with the manors of Barlavington, etc. which his son William passes to his daughter Elizabeth (see particularly the ipm of the
    latter).

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Saint_John-136

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Rokesley-9

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/St_John-5440

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Lone Ranger@21:1/5 to All on Sun Feb 19 14:21:49 2023
    On Sunday, February 19, 2023 at 2:05:57 PM UTC-8, mk wrote:
    On Sunday, February 19, 2023 at 3:56:54 PM UTC-5, Lone Ranger wrote:

I've been trying to piece together the line of Edward and Alice (Rokesley/Ruxly) this week. I've made profiles of them on Wikitree, so perhaps this will trigger some input from other St. John researchers. They are very rough, so far, just what I've
    found the last two or three days. There's clearly a connection with Eve Dawtry, wife of the Sir Edward who died 1347, though I don't know if she is the Eve you meant.

Have a look and lmk if you have anything that might be relevant. I think there's enough to connect Edward, husband of Alice, with the manors of Barlavington, etc. which his son William passes to his daughter Elizabeth (see particularly the ipm of the
    latter).

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Saint_John-136

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Rokesley-9

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/St_John-5440
    Monica,
    The connection to Eve Dawtry would make that a de Port-St. John line https://stjohngenealogy.com/getperson.php?personID=I10660&tree=OSA0001 (based on other's claims. I haven't researched this much myself)

But after re-reading some notes on that page, it's possible this is the one that actually married Eve Dawtry (uncle to one above which would leave a wife spot open to be Alice Rokesley) https://stjohngenealogy.com/getperson.php?personID=I105552079&tree=
    OSA0001

Suzanne St. John

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mk@21:1/5 to Lone Ranger on Mon Feb 20 05:57:37 2023
    On Sunday, February 19, 2023 at 5:21:50 PM UTC-5, Lone Ranger wrote:

The connection to Eve Dawtry would make that a de Port-St. John line https://stjohngenealogy.com/getperson.php?personID=I10660&tree=OSA0001 (based on other's claims. I haven't researched this much myself)

But after re-reading some notes on that page, it's possible this is the one that actually married Eve Dawtry (uncle to one above which would leave a wife spot open to be Alice Rokesley) https://stjohngenealogy.com/getperson.php?personID=I105552079&tree=
    OSA0001

Suzanne St. John

I don't understand what you mean by leaving a wife spot open. I don't think Edward who married Alice also married Eve.

Specifically, right now I'm looking for the descent of these manors in the inheritance of Eve Dawtry:

Bewgenet, Barlavington and Lurgatsale Byworth, Cotes, Warnycampe, Eggden, Northmerden, Fitelworth and Petworth.

These all turn up in the i.p.m. of Elizabeth St John Dyke Hussey Massey +1506 daughter of William, +1439 son of Edward and Alice Rokesley
    Then to her son by her first marriage, Henry Dyke
    Then to his son Thomas
    He must have died young, as his sisters Constance Dyke Goring and Eleanor Dyke Dering are next heirs

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Colin Piper@21:1/5 to All on Tue Feb 21 01:40:54 2023
    On Monday, 20 February 2023 at 13:57:42 UTC, mk wrote:

But after re-reading some notes on that page, it's possible this is the one that actually married Eve Dawtry (uncle to one above which would leave a wife spot open to be Alice Rokesley) https://stjohngenealogy.com/getperson.php?personID=I105552079&
    tree=OSA0001

Suzanne St. John
    I don't understand what you mean by leaving a wife spot open. I don't think Edward who married Alice also married Eve.

Specifically, right now I'm looking for the descent of these manors in the inheritance of Eve Dawtry:

Bewgenet, Barlavington and Lurgatsale Byworth, Cotes, Warnycampe, Eggden, Northmerden, Fitelworth and Petworth.

These all turn up in the i.p.m. of Elizabeth St John Dyke Hussey Massey +1506 daughter of William, +1439 son of Edward and Alice Rokesley
    Then to his son Thomas
    He must have died young, as his sisters Constance Dyke Goring and Eleanor Dyke Dering are next heirs

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Lone Ranger@21:1/5 to All on Tue Feb 21 07:36:22 2023
    On Monday, February 20, 2023 at 5:57:42 AM UTC-8, mk wrote:

But after re-reading some notes on that page, it's possible this is the one that actually married Eve Dawtry (uncle to one above which would leave a wife spot open to be Alice Rokesley) https://stjohngenealogy.com/getperson.php?personID=I105552079&
    tree=OSA0001

Suzanne St. John

Then to his son Thomas

According to your wikitree link I had Eva Dawtry attached to the wrong Edward but the wikitree info has errors too. I've been trying to make correction to my site. There are 3+ Edward St. Johns in that cluster. Specifically an uncle and nephew both named
    Edward. I had Eva married to the nephew but your wikitree link has her married to the uncle which makes more sense.

The nephew "Edward de Sancto Johanne ' le neveu,' " could then be the husband to your Alice Rokesley.

John St. John m. Alice FitzPiers
    1) Roger m. Joan Hevere 2) Edward m. Eva Dawtry Paynell 3) John
    Both of these brothers had sons named Edward.
    1) Edward son of Roger aka "Edward de Sancto Johanne ' le neveu,' m. [Alice de Rokesley?] /// 2) Edward son of Edward m. Anastatia Aton /// 3) Edward [alleged son of John] m. [Alice de Rokesley?]

I have no info to support John having a son named Edward. Although, it does appear Cockayne may have guessed when he placed Edward 'the nephew' under Roger.
    I have created a profile for Alice [de Rokesley] and have her placed temporarily married to both. https://www.stjohngenealogy.com/getperson.php?personID=I12437&tree=OSA0001

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mk@21:1/5 to Lone Ranger on Tue Feb 21 11:02:04 2023
    On Tuesday, February 21, 2023 at 10:36:23 AM UTC-5, Lone Ranger wrote:

The nephew "Edward de Sancto Johanne ' le neveu,' " could then be the husband to your Alice Rokesley.

1) Edward son of Roger aka "Edward de Sancto Johanne ' le neveu,' m. [Alice de Rokesley?] /// 2) Edward son of Edward m. Anastatia Aton /// 3) Edward [alleged son of John] m. [Alice de Rokesley?]

I have no info to support John having a son named Edward. Although, it does appear Cockayne may have guessed when he placed Edward 'the nephew' under Roger.
    I have created a profile for Alice [de Rokesley] and have her placed temporarily married to both. https://www.stjohngenealogy.com/getperson.php?personID=I12437&tree=OSA0001

Edward the nephew married Joan and died s.p. ca. 1384, so it can't be him. Also, he doesn't seem to have any connection to he Barlavington manors.

There are mentions of an Edward, son of John. There might be two of these, one the grandson of Sir John who married Isabel de Courtenay, and the other the grandson of Edward and Eve. I had previously assumed all mentions of Edward son of John belonged to
    the former Edward, but now suspect that Edward = Alice is likely another. He clearly is the conduit by which Eve's manors came to his granddaughter Elizabeth +1506. I don't know why they would have gone to the Basing branch, though if there was a reason
    then perhaps he is the Edward who married Alice. There certainly was a close connection, as in 1375 Edward son of John was borrowing money from Edward of Londsborough, son of Edward "the uncle" and Eve.

Reference: C 241/158/60
    Description:
    Debtor: Edward, the son of John St John [held part of a fee in Stopham, Rotherbridge Hundred, Sussex]
    Creditor: Sir Edward St. John, lord of Laundesburgh.
    Amount: £100, on account of a loan.
    When taken: 02/05/1375...
    Date: 1376 Jun 10

But it seems as if there was a line from Edward and Eve's son John to explain the descent of the manors.
    “From John de St. John, Brother to Sir Edward, Lord of Barlavington, descended the St. Johns of Barlavington in Sussex, bearing Argent on a Chief indented Gules, 3 Mullets Or. whereof was Edward, who had Issue William de St. John, Lord of the same;
    which Edward dying September 16 1438. his Heir was Elizabeth, Married first to Goring; whence the Gorings of Burton in that County, Baronets; and Secondly to Hussee, and Thirdly to Massie.”
    Notitia St. Johanniana: or, Genealogical and historical ... - Page 24

And by 1390, both Edward the uncle (of Barlavington) and Edward the nephew (of Stopham) were both dead, so if this reference indicates that Sir Edward was still alive, it was probably the one who was Sheriff of Surrey and Sussex and married to Alice.

Reference: C 241/179/94
    Description: Debtor: William Best, the elder, of Charing in Kent [Calehill Hundred]
    Creditor: Edward St John {Seyntion}, knight, of Sussex [held fee in Barlavington, Rotherbridge Hundred, Sussex, and in Linch, Easebourne Hundred, Sussex] and elsewhere in Sussex.
    ...Last term: 24/06/1374
    Writ to: Sheriff of Kent
    Sent by: John Roper, Mayor of the Staple of Sandwich.
    Endorsement: Kanc' Coram d'no Rege in Cancellar' sua in quindena Martini.
    Date: 1390 Oct 21

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Lone Ranger@21:1/5 to All on Tue Feb 21 11:46:48 2023
    On Tuesday, February 21, 2023 at 11:02:06 AM UTC-8, mk wrote:
    On Tuesday, February 21, 2023 at 10:36:23 AM UTC-5, Lone Ranger wrote:

Edward the nephew married Joan and died s.p. ca. 1384, so it can't be him. Also, he doesn't seem to have any connection to he Barlavington manors.

There are mentions of an Edward, son of John. There might be two of these, one the grandson of Sir John who married Isabel de Courtenay, and the other the grandson of Edward and Eve. I had previously assumed all mentions of Edward son of John belonged
    to the former Edward, but now suspect that Edward = Alice is likely another. He clearly is the conduit by which Eve's manors came to his granddaughter Elizabeth +1506. I don't know why they would have gone to the Basing branch, though if there was a
    reason then perhaps he is the Edward who married Alice. There certainly was a close connection, as in 1375 Edward son of John was borrowing money from Edward of Londsborough, son of Edward "the uncle" and Eve.

Reference: C 241/158/60
    Description:
    Debtor: Edward, the son of John St John [held part of a fee in Stopham, Rotherbridge Hundred, Sussex]
    Creditor: Sir Edward St. John, lord of Laundesburgh.
    Amount: £100, on account of a loan.
    When taken: 02/05/1375...
    Date: 1376 Jun 10

But it seems as if there was a line from Edward and Eve's son John to explain the descent of the manors.
    “From John de St. John, Brother to Sir Edward, Lord of Barlavington, descended the St. Johns of Barlavington in Sussex, bearing Argent on a Chief indented Gules, 3 Mullets Or. whereof was Edward, who had Issue William de St. John, Lord of the same;
    which Edward dying September 16 1438. his Heir was Elizabeth, Married first to Goring; whence the Gorings of Burton in that County, Baronets; and Secondly to Hussee, and Thirdly to Massie.”
    Notitia St. Johanniana: or, Genealogical and historical ... - Page 24

And by 1390, both Edward the uncle (of Barlavington) and Edward the nephew (of Stopham) were both dead, so if this reference indicates that Sir Edward was still alive, it was probably the one who was Sheriff of Surrey and Sussex and married to Alice.

Reference: C 241/179/94
    Description: Debtor: William Best, the elder, of Charing in Kent [Calehill Hundred]
    Creditor: Edward St John {Seyntion}, knight, of Sussex [held fee in Barlavington, Rotherbridge Hundred, Sussex, and in Linch, Easebourne Hundred, Sussex] and elsewhere in Sussex.
    ...Last term: 24/06/1374
    Writ to: Sheriff of Kent
    Sent by: John Roper, Mayor of the Staple of Sandwich.
    Endorsement: Kanc' Coram d'no Rege in Cancellar' sua in quindena Martini. Date: 1390 Oct 21

Do you have this one? Edward St. John of Stopham is wife Joan.

1384 Licence, for 10 marks paid to the kingbyEdwardSeyntJohnn of Slopeham,knight,for him to enfeoff Hugh Cran,John Berewode, clerk, ThomasChaumberleyn, William Purchas,Robert Palmer,Elias Savage and JohnPakenham of the manors of Wolfcrton, Iweherstand
    Okie,co. Southampand Staunton,co. Wilts, and for the feoffees, after seisin had, togrant the same to the said Edward and Joan,his wife, for their lives, with remainder to themselves, the feoffees, in fee simple. See: http://sdrc.lib.uiowa.edu/patentrolls/
    r2v2/body/Richard2vol2page0364.pdf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hikaru Kitabayashi@21:1/5 to Hikaru Kitabayashi on Fri Apr 21 06:50:42 2023
    On Friday, April 21, 2023 at 10:43:25 PM UTC+9, Hikaru Kitabayashi wrote:
    On Tuesday, October 4, 2022 at 12:04:35 AM UTC+9, Colin Piper wrote:
    The marriage above is documented on the sides of an Altar Tomb in Hamstall Ridware Church, dedicated to John Cotton (-c1478) and Joanna Fitzherbert of Norbury (c1435-c 1525), and lists brief details of their 15 children. This Altar Tomb must have
    been erected in the lifetime of their children as it lists some that died early and who are not documented elsewhere. If anyone wants a copy of the transcriptions on the side of the Altar Tomb then please let me know.
    If “my” Thomas St John of Charing had any connection with Burleigh Manor (even if he did not own it) there is some circumstantial evidence that Thomas was somehow descended from the marriage of Sir Edward St John of Kent and Alice. But I just
    please let me know.
    It seemed a brick wall.
    Amongst the Canterbury Wills was one for Edward St John of Charing in Kent who died in 1457 (probate date 22/12/1457) and who just might have been Thomas’s father. This Will was in latin and was translated for me by an expert at Devon Heritage
    Centre in Exeter.
    • Geni (very patchy)
    • Dates are right
    • Reference to Thomas (and Joanna) in the provision made by Edward St John
    Just need to understand the sp. Perhaps it was sp at the point when William dies in 1473.
    • Joanna St John (c 1425-5/6/1482) married Nicholas de Arundell of Trerice in Cornwall and received William’s property on the death of William’s widow Alice. East Luccombe and Selworthy were held by the Arundell family for hundreds of years
    until being passed by marriage to the Wentworth family (1768) and then the Acland family (1802) of Holnicot and Killerton. Selworthy and East Luccombe are now owned by the National Trust, following Sir Richard Acland’s gift in 1944.
    I have not yet found the document detailing the provision made by Edward for Thomas and it very possible that it was the property owned by Edward in Charing and where he died in 1457. It may just be coincidence that Burleigh Manor was also situated
    in Charing?
    • Sir Oliver St John (c1320-1373) who married Elizabeth Luccombe, had son John who married another Elizabeth and died abroad, without legitimate offspring. Other family trees give Oliver a second wife after Elizabeth’s death and a line that leads
    After Alexander’s (aft 1351) and Oliver’s (8/1373) death, and the death of Oliver’s son John abroad in his father’s lifetime, Henry had outlived all of his siblings and took possession of the manors of East Luccombe and Selworthy. John’s
    widow Elizabeth tried to dispute this but without success; Henry remained in possession. Henry also held Stockleigh Luccombe in socage of the heirs of William Baggeputz by the service of one pair of white spurs.
    • Licence for Alexander de Sancto Johanne and Elizabeth (widow of Hugh Luccombe) his wife and Oliver De Sancto Johanne and Elizabeth (Luccombe) his wife to Enfeoff Richard de Morcastre, parson of the church of Luccombe, of the manor of East
    Luccombe co Somerset, and the advowsons of the churches of Luccombe and Selworthy, held in chief as of the honour of Pynkeneye, and for him to re-grant the same to the said Alexander and Elizabeth his wife for life, with successive remainders in tail to
    Oliver and Elizabeth his wife, to John, Theobald and Henry, sons of the said Alexander, and reversion to the right heirs of the said John.
    The 1346 birth date for Oliver seems to cause an extra generation to be added, allowing a Sir John St John who married Elizabeth Paveley, before the Alexander St John who married Elizabeth Umfreville, except that Alexander was called John who seems
    to have the same dates and wife as Alexander! Brownbill suggested that it was Collins who suggested the name of John, and this has been widely copied.
    What is needed is a definitive family tree for the St Johns of Fonmon. Help!
    Then I noticed that the St Johns Genealogy web site suggests Alexander as the son of Sir John St John of Lageham, 1st baron, so I have extended Alexander’s family to reflect this option.
    ********************************************************************* Alexander St John, of Instow and East Luccombe, c1286- aft 1351. Born Stanton St John, Oxon. Died in Instow, Devon. Alexander married first Margaret Arundell (mother of the children), and then Elizabeth widow of Hugh Luccombe (-1323), whose daughter
    and heiress Elizabeth (1320-) married Alexander’s eldest son Sir Oliver (1320-1373).
    The St John Project web site claims that Alexander was the youngest son of Sir John de St John, first baron St John of Lageham (c1255 – bef 7/1316). Although called baron of Lageham, in Surrey, they lived in Stanton St John, Oxfordshire. A major
    extra landholding in Swallowfield came by Roger St John’s (John’s father) marriage to a Despenser heir.
    One outstanding query relates to the wife shown for the first baron shown as Beatrix Broye, who I thought was married to a John de St John (c 1267 -aft 1346) of the Fonmon/Faumont line. Stirnet shows the wife of the first baron as Margaret, and Geni
    as Maud FitzNigel.
    Children as follows;
    imprisoned”.

All feedback welcome!

Colin Piper
    You have done an impressive amount of work at a time I have been working on the same problem from a different angle. The two earliest surviving Cotton family pedigrees are by Sir Robert Bruce Cotton and the other William Burton (1575-1645), a noted
    antiquarian. Both were active in the late 16th and early 17th centuries and were friends of one another. Both produced Cotton family pedigrees from roughly the same time during the early 17th century. The two pedigrees, however, differ significantly in
    detail. The one by Sir Robert Bruce Cotton was aimed at showing that he had royal ancestry and he had little interest in his own male line ancestry where it diverged from his female-line derived royal ancestry. In fact, he showed extreme carelessness and
    got almost everything wrong (and that includes the senior Cotton family line which Richard Cotton belonged to). On the other hand, William Burton, by profession, was a lawyer and tried to base everything he produced on scholarship. Moreover, he was
    actually rather more closely connected with Richard Cotton by way of marriage and in a position to have actually talked with people who would have met and had memories of that man. Richard's daughter Maude married Francis Repington as her first husband
    and had several children by him. When he died, she remarried to George Willoughby and is said to have had a further two sons. George's brother had married a sister of the Duke of Suffolk and second cousin of Queen Elizabeth II. The daughter of this
    couple became Lady Arundell of Wardour. George Willoughby lived until the last years of the 16th century and the oldest son of Francis Repington and Maude Cotton lived until the early 17th century. Richard Cotton, himself, is often said to have died
    about 1534 because that was the year a church brass engraving was made describing his wife as being Alice Savage the daughter of Gilbert Savage the younger son of Sir John Savage, kt., but it can be shown by legal documents that Richard and Alice lived
    until well into the 1540s. The Repington's oldest son was born in 1534, so would have been of an age to have met and remembered his grandparents while they were still alive. The sister of Maude Cotton's husband, however, became the grandmother of William
    Burton. Additionally, William Burton had a direct Cotton descent through a more distant Burton ancestor marrying a Cotton belonging to the same larger Cotton family that Richard Cotton and Sir Robert Bruce Cotton were both descended from. According to
    both Cotton pedigrees, Francis Repington's wife Matilda Cotton was the daughter of Alice Savage. However, while John Cotton of London and Humphrey Cotton of Bould and Nicholas Cotton of Lichfield Cathedral were specified as being the children of Joan St.
    John by Sir Robert Bruce Cotton's pedigree, in William Burton's pedigree we have a completely different picture. Here, the name Humphrey Cotton appears twice, once as a song of Joan St. John and another time as the son of Alice Savage. Moreover, in a
    church survey of about 1532, Humphrey Cotton also appears twice in Hampstall Ridware, once as a part of Richard Cotton's household and once as the apparently still unmarried head of an independent household. In doing research recently, though, I have
    come across new sources, creating an even more complicated situation. Is Sir Robert Bruce Cotton right or is William Burton right or are both wrong. At the moment, I am not sure. For this reason, I have been doing research on the Savage connection
    because it was easier to work on for someone like me who is located in Japan. I think, though, that between your efforts and mine, we are well on our way toward solving problems that must have seemed confusing even 400 years ago.

Dear all, I have a mild form of dyslexia and always make stupid composition mistakes which I can edit later when the software allows me to do so. Unfortunate, it seems to be impossible with Google Groups. Anyway, Queen Elizabeth II should be read as
    Queen Elizabeth I. There are also several other mistakes I can now see, but can't change. I beg your indulgence.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hikaru Kitabayashi@21:1/5 to Colin Piper on Fri Apr 21 06:43:23 2023
    On Tuesday, October 4, 2022 at 12:04:35 AM UTC+9, Colin Piper wrote:
    please let me know.
    It seemed a brick wall.
    in Exeter.
    • Geni (very patchy)
    • Dates are right
    • Reference to Thomas (and Joanna) in the provision made by Edward St John Just need to understand the sp. Perhaps it was sp at the point when William dies in 1473.
    Charing?
    Maud FitzNigel.
    Children as follows;
    imprisoned”.

All feedback welcome!

Colin Piper
    You have done an impressive amount of work at a time I have been working on the same problem from a different angle. The two earliest surviving Cotton family pedigrees are by Sir Robert Bruce Cotton and the other William Burton (1575-1645), a noted
    antiquarian. Both were active in the late 16th and early 17th centuries and were friends of one another. Both produced Cotton family pedigrees from roughly the same time during the early 17th century. The two pedigrees, however, differ significantly in
    detail. The one by Sir Robert Bruce Cotton was aimed at showing that he had royal ancestry and he had little interest in his own male line ancestry where it diverged from his female-line derived royal ancestry. In fact, he showed extreme carelessness and
    got almost everything wrong (and that includes the senior Cotton family line which Richard Cotton belonged to). On the other hand, William Burton, by profession, was a lawyer and tried to base everything he produced on scholarship. Moreover, he was
    actually rather more closely connected with Richard Cotton by way of marriage and in a position to have actually talked with people who would have met and had memories of that man. Richard's daughter Maude married Francis Repington as her first husband
    and had several children by him. When he died, she remarried to George Willoughby and is said to have had a further two sons. George's brother had married a sister of the Duke of Suffolk and second cousin of Queen Elizabeth II. The daughter of this
    couple became Lady Arundell of Wardour. George Willoughby lived until the last years of the 16th century and the oldest son of Francis Repington and Maude Cotton lived until the early 17th century. Richard Cotton, himself, is often said to have died
    about 1534 because that was the year a church brass engraving was made describing his wife as being Alice Savage the daughter of Gilbert Savage the younger son of Sir John Savage, kt., but it can be shown by legal documents that Richard and Alice lived
    until well into the 1540s. The Repington's oldest son was born in 1534, so would have been of an age to have met and remembered his grandparents while they were still alive. The sister of Maude Cotton's husband, however, became the grandmother of
    William Burton. Additionally, William Burton had a direct Cotton descent through a more distant Burton ancestor marrying a Cotton belonging to the same larger Cotton family that Richard Cotton and Sir Robert Bruce Cotton were both descended from.
    According to both Cotton pedigrees, Francis Repington's wife Matilda Cotton was the daughter of Alice Savage. However, while John Cotton of London and Humphrey Cotton of Bould and Nicholas Cotton of Lichfield Cathedral were specified as being the
    children of Joan St. John by Sir Robert Bruce Cotton's pedigree, in William Burton's pedigree we have a completely different picture. Here, the name Humphrey Cotton appears twice, once as a song of Joan St. John and another time as the son of Alice
    Savage. Moreover, in a church survey of about 1532, Humphrey Cotton also appears twice in Hampstall Ridware, once as a part of Richard Cotton's household and once as the apparently still unmarried head of an independent household. In doing research
    recently, though, I have come across new sources, creating an even more complicated situation. Is Sir Robert Bruce Cotton right or is William Burton right or are both wrong. At the moment, I am not sure. For this reason, I have been doing research on the
    Savage connection because it was easier to work on for someone like me who is located in Japan. I think, though, that between your efforts and mine, we are well on our way toward solving problems that must have seemed confusing even 400 years ago.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05