• Re: Query: That Anne (Smythe) Eyre was the daughter of Anne

From Thomas MURRAY@21:1/5 to wjhons...@gmail.com on Fri Sep 30 23:48:20 2022
    On Tuesday, 6 April 2021 at 8:24:53 am UTC+10, wjhons...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Friday, April 2, 2021 at 10:03:58 PM UTC-7, Brad Verity wrote:
    On Friday, April 2, 2021 at 2:18:10 PM UTC-7, wjhons...@gmail.com wrote:
    Is there more to learn about this Nicholas Blackwall of Hamstall Ridware ?
    His daughter and heiress Prudence is that one who m Thomas /Eyre/ of Hassop, co Derby; Gent 1598 d 1637
    Prudence (Blackwall) Eyre was buried 25 August 1652 St Giles Church, Longstone, Derbyshire. I have estimated a birthdate for her of c.1575, so about age 77 at death, about age 18 at her marriage contract 10 September 1593, and about age 25 when her
    son Rowland Eyre was born in 1600. Just an estimate.
    I find it somewhat macabre that Nicholas has a petition dated 1598 about persons trying to murder him
    and then in 1599 we find his inventory dated 16 Apr
    leading one to believe that they were finally successful
    Nicholas Blackwall's will was dated 28 January 1598/9, and proved 6 February 1598/9, which suggests a serious illness, or the scenario that he sensed his end was near. So he wasn't murdered on the spot, though I suppose it's possible he died of a
    fatal injury/injuries from an attack. I would think he would've mentioned such an attack in his will, but only an abstract is available online - the original is held in the Derbyshire Record Office.
    https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/ee289dcd-b2d3-445c-a229-259d1c09b892
    His wife is given a rather odd name of semoce in one source, but then I see that SENCE was buried at Hamstall 7 Dec 1602 so I'm sure this is her.
    Yes, that is her. Her name is apparently spelled 'Senche' in her husband's will. No doubt it is a variation of 'Sanchia'.
    Do we know Sense' maiden name?
    One online genealogy says it was Gotham, and that she was the daughter of "Sir Andrew of Gotham".
    https://www.genealogy.com/ftm/m/o/u/Jonathan-M-Moulsdale/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0712.html

But Gotham is a village in Nottinghamshire, not a 16th-century English gentry surname (that I'm aware of). However, there was a St Andrew family which held the manor of Gotham, and looking at the pedigree of St Andrew compiled from the Visitations of
    Nottinghamshire taken in 1569, 1614 & 1631, there was a "Sanchia", daughter of John St Andrew of Gotham and his wife Catherine Wells of Hoar Cross, Staffordshire.
    https://archive.org/details/visitationsofcou00flow/page/78/mode/2up

Hoar Cross Hall was very close to Hamstall Ridware Hall. Sanchia St Andrew is not shown with a husband in the Visitation pedigree, but it's likely she was only listed in the 1569 visitation of the family, not in the two later ones. Given the
    estimated birthdate of Prudence (Blackwall) Eyre, it's certainly possible her parents were not yet married in 1569. Sanchia St Andrew fits well chronologically and geographically to have been the Senche (d. 1602), wife of Nicholas Blackwall of Hamstall
    Ridware Hall.

Cheers, ---Brad
    Thanks Brad, that seems likely

Sanchia St Andrew married Robert Salte of Yoxall (Hamstall Ridware), their daughter Mary, married Thomas Lathrop (see Lathrop of Crakemarsh, Visitations of Staffordshire)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)