• Re: C.P. Addition: Maud de Vaux, wife of William de Roos, 1st Lord Roos

From lancaster.boon@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Sep 18 09:21:42 2022
    I'd like to add some evidence relevant to this old discussion. Despite what Blomefield says, the IPM of John de Vaux seems to say that Maud the daughter of John Vaux, first married William Gyney and then secondly remarried to William de Ros? https://
    archive.org/details/cu31924011387804/page/402/mode/2up

Maybe Blomefield is not wrong? He says that John's own wife Joan de Pelevile was first married to Roger Gyney, evidently the father of that William. I suppose this is not impossible, but if I am reading right then this is extra evidence against Joan de
    Pelevile being mother of Maud de Ros. That would mean that her first husband Roger Gyney was her half brother.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Richard Ebdon@21:1/5 to lancast...@gmail.com on Mon Sep 19 07:34:05 2022
    On Sunday, 18 September 2022 at 17:21:44 UTC+1, lancast...@gmail.com wrote:
    I'd like to add some evidence relevant to this old discussion. Despite what Blomefield says, the IPM of John de Vaux seems to say that Maud the daughter of John Vaux, first married William Gyney and then secondly remarried to William de Ros? https://

Maybe Blomefield is not wrong? He says that John's own wife Joan de Pelevile was first married to Roger Gyney, evidently the father of that William. I suppose this is not impossible, but if I am reading right then this is extra evidence against Joan de
    Pelevile being mother of Maud de Ros. That would mean that her first husband Roger Gyney was her half brother.

Douglas Richardson explains John Vaux's widow Sibyl as being the mother of Maud de Ros, and not his first wife Joan de Peleville. In his comment (first post above) he explains that his first wife Joan must have died before 1254. -

"Inasmuch as Joan de Peleville, 1st wife of Sir John de Vaux, must have died sometime between 1250 and 1254, she obviously can not be Sir John's wife who was the mother of his two daughters, Pernel and Maud, both of whom were born after 1254. That leaves
    Sir John's surviving wife, Sibyl, as the candidate to be the mother of the Vaux girls."

Thank you.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From lancaster.boon@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Richard Ebdon on Mon Sep 19 12:01:04 2022
    On Monday, September 19, 2022 at 4:34:07 PM UTC+2, Richard Ebdon wrote:

Maybe Blomefield is not wrong? He says that John's own wife Joan de Pelevile was first married to Roger Gyney, evidently the father of that William. I suppose this is not impossible, but if I am reading right then this is extra evidence against Joan
    de Pelevile being mother of Maud de Ros. That would mean that her first husband Roger Gyney was her half brother.
    Douglas Richardson explains John Vaux's widow Sibyl as being the mother of Maud de Ros, and not his first wife Joan de Peleville. In his comment (first post above) he explains that his first wife Joan must have died before 1254. -
    "Inasmuch as Joan de Peleville, 1st wife of Sir John de Vaux, must have died sometime between 1250 and 1254, she obviously can not be Sir John's wife who was the mother of his two daughters, Pernel and Maud, both of whom were born after 1254. That
    leaves Sir John's surviving wife, Sibyl, as the candidate to be the mother of the Vaux girls."
    Thank you.

Hi Richard, yes, I think I understood that correctly, and it was not the aim of my post to question that reasoning. I came to this family from a different direction and noticed a different line of evidence which leads to a similar conclusion. I felt it
    might be worth mentioning.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Richard Ebdon@21:1/5 to lancast...@gmail.com on Tue Sep 20 00:11:14 2022
    On Monday, 19 September 2022 at 20:01:05 UTC+1, lancast...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Monday, September 19, 2022 at 4:34:07 PM UTC+2, Richard Ebdon wrote:
    I'd like to add some evidence relevant to this old discussion. Despite what Blomefield says, the IPM of John de Vaux seems to say that Maud the daughter of John Vaux, first married William Gyney and then secondly remarried to William de Ros? https:/
    /archive.org/details/cu31924011387804/page/402/mode/2up

Maybe Blomefield is not wrong? He says that John's own wife Joan de Pelevile was first married to Roger Gyney, evidently the father of that William. I suppose this is not impossible, but if I am reading right then this is extra evidence against
    Joan de Pelevile being mother of Maud de Ros. That would mean that her first husband Roger Gyney was her half brother.
    "Inasmuch as Joan de Peleville, 1st wife of Sir John de Vaux, must have died sometime between 1250 and 1254, she obviously can not be Sir John's wife who was the mother of his two daughters, Pernel and Maud, both of whom were born after 1254. That
    leaves Sir John's surviving wife, Sibyl, as the candidate to be the mother of the Vaux girls."
    Thank you.
    Hi Richard, yes, I think I understood that correctly, and it was not the aim of my post to question that reasoning. I came to this family from a different direction and noticed a different line of evidence which leads to a similar conclusion. I felt it
    might be worth mentioning.
    Thank you. And yes, you have brought up extra evidence against Joan de Peleville being the mother of Maud de Ros. Your different line of evidence does lead to a similar conclusion.
    Regards.

Richard Ebdon.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05