• Re: Matthew Howard of MD Ancestry

From M. B. McJilton@21:1/5 to Rick Toothman on Fri Sep 9 14:13:47 2022
    On Monday, August 5, 2002 at 1:28:08 PM UTC-4, Rick Toothman wrote:
    "Shawn Potter" <shp...@comcast.net> wrote in message news:7004aa4b.02080...@posting.google.com...
    "Rick Toothman" <r.too...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    news:<qSY29.17468$pg2.1...@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...
    "Rick Toothman" <r.too...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:DoX29.17336$pg2.1...@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

H W Newman, in AA Gentry 2:301 (2nd edition), citing the land records (Provincial Court Deeds, TP5:467, TP6:17), shows that "Kilkenny" was patented 2 Sept 1713, for 100 acres, to Richard Fowler. Fowler, cooper
    of
    Balto Co, with his wife Priscilla, assigned the tract to Joseph Howard,
    April 1713 for £22, and on 14 March 1724 John Worthington, merchant,
    sold
    the tract to Howard for the same sum. (My supposition is that
    Worthington
    was the mortgage-holder.)

Helpful discovery, Rick! Since John Worthington was the son-in-law of Mathew Howard Jr., is it possible that John Worthington and his wife,
    Sarah Howard, inherited "Kilkenny" from her father? Mathew Howard Jr.
    wrote his will October 3, 1691, naming Sarah and John Worthington his executors, and giving Sarah 276 acres called "Howard's Range," 200
    acres called "Howard's Pasture," and 130 acres (unnamed) his dwelling plantation. I wonder if "Kilkenny" was created from another property
    that descended from the Howard family--i.e., from one of the tracts mentioned in Mathew Howard's will or from a tract given to Sarah at
    her marriage. [Mathew Howard Jr. owned a sizeable estate--over 1,770
    acres mentioned in his will.] Perhaps a review of the actual patent
    at the Maryland State Archives will provide the answer. The naming of
    the tract "Kilkenny" certainly may be coincidental to Cornelius
    Lloyd's connections to County Kilkenny. But, I think we need more information to be sure.

Shawn Potter
    Newman says that the tract was patented to Fowler in 1713 (the assignment date of 1713 should be 1723; my typo; assigned by Fowler to Howard 4/1723, sold by Worthington to Howard 3/1723-4). The patent should show if it was a resurvey or compilation of previously patented lands. Resurveys and enlargements usually but not always have a differed name from the original tract; you would expect this to be "Kilkenny Enlarg'd" or "Resurvey on Kilkenny", but this seems to be more consistently done later than in the
    17th or very early 18th century.
    The context in AAG sounds to me as if Fowler has mortgaged the land to Worthington before selling it to Howard and that Worthington, as
    lien-holder, then conveys, once the indebtedness of Fowler (£22 is the sum named in both deeds) has been paid.
    The Provincial Court deedbooks that Newman lists as TP 5/6 in his references are given as PL 5/6 on the MD Archives website. TP 4 is the book immediately preceding PL 5, sequentially. I don't know whose initials these are but you would think 4, 5, and 6 would all have the same title if numbered in
    sequence
    RT
    ---
    Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
    Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
    Version: 6.0.381 / Virus Database: 214 - Release Date: 8/2/02

Hello my name is Matthew McJilton, I descend from Matthew Howard through John Moale and Ellin North. I just wanted to post that my cousin Dr. Dan Howard of Baltimore has informed me that his grandmother took a DNA test and it confirmed we are related to
    the Arundell family. It's all true. I hope this helps people in the future. Thank you.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)