• Re: Weyland family revisited

From lancaster.boon@gmail.com@21:1/5 to peter...@yahoo.ca on Thu Sep 8 01:55:38 2022
    On Tuesday, August 28, 2018 at 9:01:42 PM UTC+2, peter...@yahoo.ca wrote:
    I've had another look at Jim Weber's notes on the Weylands and there may have been two William de Weylands living at the same time both married to an Elizabeth. William, son of Nicholas, was married to Elizabeth de Ruston, daughter of Laurence. The
    other William, son of Thomas, was married to Elizabeth de Bathonia, daugher of Osbert. This seems to make the best sense of the information.

This is another response to an old thread, because there are several which handle different Weylond questions. In the post I just sent, I explained why I doubt that there was any William Weylond who was a son of Thomas. This in turn leads me to doubt
    that there were two Williams with two different wives. We would no longer have any reason to suspect this .... apart from this matter with the wives.

Just looking at IPMs etc there was certainly a William who succeeded a Nicholas, and was father to a Robert, and he was clearly the husband of the Somerset heiress Elizabeth of Bath (de Bathonia). Robert and his successors continued to hold some of her
    lands. By the way, her father Osbert had an IPM naming those lands, and he is identified as the father of Elizabeth the wife of William de Weylond in the Fine Rolls in 1296.

So what is the evidence for a William who married an Elizabeth de Riston? I think it might come down to one Suffolk Fine. Rye's abstract is here: https://archive.org/details/acalendarfeetfi00histgoog/page/n154/mode/2up I have not looked up the fine to
    see if we can really be sure that Laurance de Riston in this fine is the father of Elizabeth, but I suspect, given the above, that he may not have been.

In any case Brandeston is a manor which was appears in the IPM of the same Robert who was holding Somerset lands of Elizabeth de Bathonia. https://www.british-history.ac.uk/inquis-post-mortem/vol7/pp33-41

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)