• New Obadiah Bruen Line ? (to King John through the Blounts of Kinlet)

From texag005@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Aug 30 14:14:32 2022
    Hi All,

As a descendent of Obadiah Bruen I have been doing a ton of research over the last year and have started to look closer at my ancestors and their various roles played during the Wars of the Roses and as such, while researching the Bruen line I came
    across the interesting case of Mary Ottley. This Mary Ottley is known to have married John Bruen of Stapleford (circa 1507) which would make her the great grandmother of Obadiah. Per the visitation of Cheshire in 1580, and basically all other sources I'
    ve come across, show her only as "Mary daughter of .... Otley of Otley in Shropshire"

While most pedigrees assume that she is the daughter of Thomas Ottley of Shrewsbury (died 1485) and his second wife Margaret Blount (died 1486) I can find no smoking gun evidence of that couple, in fact, being her parents although the dates seem to match
    as Mary's age would be approximately the same as John Bruen who was born ca. 1487.

In the pedigree's of the Ottley's, a Margert or Jane/Jana, is usually shown as Thomas Ottley's second wife and also shown to be a daughter of Sir Humphrey Blount (died 1477) and his wife Elizabeth Winnington. The Pedigree also shows a daughter, Mary,
    that is one of 6 children born to the couple. (the others being Edward, Humphrey, George, Anne and Elizabeth of which I can find next to anything about)

If this is proved to be true, it would mean that Obadiah would descend both from the Ottley's of Pitchford and the Blounts of Kinlet. Wondering if anyone else has done some digging on this matter or has anymore information to share. Thanks.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Rebecca James@21:1/5 to All on Mon Sep 5 01:49:28 2022
    On Wednesday, 31 August 2022 at 09:14:34 UTC+12, texa...@gmail.com wrote:

I looked into the Oteley/Blount connection a few years ago, as Thomas Oteley in the Visitation of Shropshire has a daughter Elizabeth, and Mary/Maria by both of his wives (I descend from Elizabeth). While Elizabeth who married John Salter is listed as a
    daughter of Anne Scriven, she was named as a grandmother of Elizabeth Blount, in a record below.

Margaret/Jane/Jana Blount looks to have had 2 daughters based on settlements from the will and related disputes of Elizabeth Blount nee Winnington.

One being Elizabeth Oteley who married John Salter, and Mary who was unmarried circa 1504-1515. I'm not sure if this Mary is the Mary who married Brian Stapleton in the pedigree or not sorry.

Reference: C 1/343/27
    Description: Short title: Otteley v Blount.
    Plaintiffs: Mary, daughter of Thomas Otteley, deceased.
    Defendants: John and William Blount, executors of Dame Elizabeth Blount, grandmother of complainant.
    Subject: Money entrusted to the said Elizabeth on complainant's account, and lent on the security of plate..
    Date: 1504-1515

and

Reference: C 1/165/60
    Description: Short title: Salter v Blount.
    Plaintiffs: John Salter and Elizabeth, his wife, daughter of Thomas Otteley, of Shrewsbury.
    Defendants: John and William Blount, sons and executors of Dame Elizabeth Blount, executrix of the said Thomas Otteley and grandmother of the said Elizabeth.
    Subject: Marriage portion. Shropshire

Date: 1486-1493, or 1504-1515
    Held by: The National Archives, Kew

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)