• Parents of Catherine Kingston?

From Thomas Dudley-Bonnett@21:1/5 to All on Tue Aug 23 13:03:11 2022
    Do we actually know who the parents of Catherine Kingston, who married Nicholas Mallory, Esquire, of Newbold Revell, Warwickshire , are?

I've seen it twice mentioned that she apparently descends from Geoffrey Plantagenet on multiple lines but nobody seems to have mentioned who her parents were or what Kingston family she descends from?
    She is apparently given as the aunt of Mary Kingston who married Sir Thomas Lisle of Kingston Bagpuize, 1481-1542.

Was Catherine the daughter of Thomas Kingston of Kingston Bagpuize who died January 1506-07? Thomas was succeeded by his grandson John Kingston, whose sister was Mary, wife to Sir Thomas Lisle.
    Where is this Kingston family lineage documented? I assume somebody must have seen it, in order to document descent from Geoffrey Plantagenet?
    From what bits and pieces I can see online of this family (Not Much) I cant see any links leading to Plantagenet.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Vance Mead@21:1/5 to All on Wed Aug 24 02:41:39 2022
    Some circumstantial evidence: in this case In Common Pleas, 1508, Nicholas Malory, esquire, is the executor of Thomas Kyngeston, esquire.

http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT2/H7/CP40no983/bCP40no983dorses/IMG_0246.htm

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Vance Mead@21:1/5 to Vance Mead on Wed Aug 24 04:02:16 2022
    I should add that I took a look at Thomas Kyngston's will (PCC) but didn't see any mention of a daughter named Katherine.

On Wednesday, August 24, 2022 at 12:41:41 PM UTC+3, Vance Mead wrote:
    Some circumstantial evidence: in this case In Common Pleas, 1508, Nicholas Malory, esquire, is the executor of Thomas Kyngeston, esquire.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Thomas Dudley-Bonnett@21:1/5 to vance...@yahoo.com on Wed Aug 24 10:06:18 2022
    On Wednesday, 24 August 2022 at 12:02:17 UTC+1, vance...@yahoo.com wrote:
    I should add that I took a look at Thomas Kyngston's will (PCC) but didn't see any mention of a daughter named Katherine.
    On Wednesday, August 24, 2022 at 12:41:41 PM UTC+3, Vance Mead wrote:

Thank you for your comments, They are much appreciated.

I've done a little digging and it seems the Kingstons and Malorys were linked during Nicholas Malorys life before his marriage to Catherine. I think that the Thomas Kingston who dies c1505 is her father given the timeline and that Catherine's daughters
    and granddaughter are given as heirs of her paternal niece Mary Kingston who married Sir Thomas Lisle (Mary and her brothers are given as children of John Kingston, and she was heir of her brothers John Kingston who died 1514 and Nicholas who died 1515)
    Catherine is given as a paternal aunt of Mary Kingston, so a sister of John Kingston who died apparently in 1491, as the Thomas who dies 1506-7 is succeeded by his grandson John, son of John, who was aged 16 in 1506 (Born 1490) and died 1514, then
    grandson Nicholas, brother of John, then granddaughter Mary, Sister of John and Nicholas, who married Sir Thomas Lisle, who is then succeeded by William Gorffyn, son of her paternal aunt Margaret, Margery, wife of Sir John Cope, daughter of her paternal
    aunt Katharine Malory, and Katharine, wife of Thomas Andrews of Charwelton and Margaret, wife of Thomas Boughton, granddaughters of Katharine Malory, wife of Nicholas Malory of Newbold Revel.

In 1479, as per the IPM of Elizabeth, wife of Sir Thomas Malory 1415-1471 (Grandmother of Nicholas Malory). Nicholas is her heir, aged 13/14. And in 1480 his wardship was then taken over by a Margaret Kelem, This Margaret goes on to marry Thomas Kingston
    of Childrey and Kingston Bagpuize. This is the Thomas who died c1506-7 and who Nicholas is executor of. I assume this is how he met Catherine Kingston. I think this marriage between Thomas and Margaret was a 2nd marriage. Margaret appears to die before
    Thomas Kingstons will. I'm not sure why Catherine isn't mentioned as it appears she is his daughter going by the Heirs of the Manor. 'Nichols, loc. cit.; V.C.H., Berks, iv. 350; and Cal. I.P.M., Hen. Vll, iii. 69, 537,559 together show that Thomas
    Kingston of Childrey and Kingston Bagpuize was Margaret Kelem's husband, that they were married by 1487, and that he died in 1506-7. CPR (1476-1485), P. 220.

From the descent of the manor found here https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/berks/vol4/pp349-353 and the ages given, it appears the descent is this -
    1. Elizabeth Chelrey (Daughter and heir of Thomas Chelrey of Childray, Berkshire), aged 30 and more at her fathers death in 1407. Married Sir John Kingston. Sir John Kingston dies 1415 and is succeeded by his son Thomas. Elizabeth marries William
    Fynderne as a 2nd husband. Elizabeth dies 1463. Her grandson Thomas, son of her son Thomas is her heir.

2. Thomas, son of Sir John Kingston and Elizabeth Chelrey. Underage at his fathers death in 1415. He goes on to have a son called Thomas born c1435 (This is a guess given age generations, I'm sure Elizabeth's IPM would list his age but not sure where to
    find), Thomas Sr appears to predecease his mother, As Elizabeth's heir in 1463 is her grandson Thomas, son of her son Thomas. Thomas Kingston Sr born c1400? - Died before 1463. Is this the Thomas Kingston who marries Alice Poynings, daughter of Hugh
    Poynings, Baron St John of Basing and Eleanor Welles, daughter of John Welles, 5th Baron Welles? This would certainly give a descent from Plantagenet, alongside descent from King Edward I of England, King Henry III of England and King Louis VIII of
    France. The generations fit and This Thomas Kingston and Alice Poynings have a son Thomas who was Co-Heir of the St John Barony in 1458. Alice was born 1400 (Age at father Hugh's IPM) and apparently dies 1439. She firstly married a John Orell, and then a
    Thomas Kingston.

3. Thomas Kingston Jr, Born c1435 - Dies 1506-7. Heir of his grandmother Elizabeth Chelrey, who remarried to William Fynderne, Esquire, of Kingston Bagpuize.
    Has a son called John who dies c1491, (This John apparently married Eleanor Lisle) as his heir is his grandson John Kingston c1490-1514, This John marries Susan Fettyplace, Mural in Kingston Bagpuize Church.
    Thomas marries as a 2nd wife a Margaret Kelem, The guardian of Nicholas Malory. Thomas's heir was his grandson John Kingston, Son of his son John, who died in 1514 and was succeeded by his brother Nicholas who died 1515, Nicholas was then Succeeded by
    his sister Mary, wife of Sir Thomas Lisle, who in 1539 was succeeded by the children and grandchildren of her two aunts, Catherine Kingston, wife of Nicholas Malory and Margaret Kingston, wife of Gorffyn.

This is all I can really find. The Kingstons don't really have a lot of Information. Or at least I cant seem to find it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05