• Re: William Whittington of Early VA Gateway

From Darrell E. Larocque@21:1/5 to All on Thu Aug 4 09:47:02 2022
    The Whittington line entry from STAUNTON, GLOCS:

"Robert Whittington, who lived till some time after 1429 (fn. 52) and was Sheriff of Gloucestershire in 1402, 1407 and 1412, (fn. 53) was succeeded by his son Sir Guy, who was Sheriff of Gloucestershire in 1427 and 1433 (fn. 54) and died in 1441–2. (fn.
    55) Sir Guy married Cicely Browning, the heir of John Browning of Leigh (co. Gloucs.). (fn. 56) Leigh was settled on their second son Richard, (fn. 57) and Staunton was apparently settled on him likewise, as he was in possession in 1464–5. (fn. 58) He
    was succeeded before 1492 (fn. 59) by John Whittington, a clerk in holy orders, (fn. 60) who died seised of Staunton Manor in 1504. (fn. 61) John's two nieces Maud and Isabella, daughters of his brother Richard, were his heirs. (fn. 62) Maud married
    William Horton (fn. 63) and Isabella married John son of William Rudhale. (fn. 64) In 1516 William Horton was outlawed at Gloucester for having killed John Pauncefoot, (fn. 65) and his moiety of Staunton Manor was granted two years later for the term of
    Horton's life to William Rudhale and his son John, (fn. 66) Isabella's husband, who thus had the whole manor in his possession. John Rudhale, however, died in 1530, (fn. 67) fifteen years before Horton, (fn. 68) and Isabella his widow married Walter
    Horton."

'Parishes: Staunton', in A History of the County of Worcester: Volume 4, ed. William Page and J W Willis-Bund (London, 1924), pp. 197-202. British History Online, http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/worcs/vol4/pp197-202 [accessed 4 August 2022].

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Darrell E. Larocque@21:1/5 to All on Thu Aug 4 09:39:10 2022
    Adding:

GUY WHITTINGTON/CECILY BROWNING were the parents of the first RICHARD WHITTINGTON I named in the line.

Sorry, forgot to add that.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Darrell E. Larocque@21:1/5 to RAY Montgomery on Thu Aug 4 09:37:06 2022
    On Saturday, January 21, 2006 at 11:49:38 PM UTC-5, RAY Montgomery wrote:
    To whom it may concern.
    I have been looking for the ancestry of William Whittington Born circa 1616/17 per court records.
    He was a Militia man, and judge, at a young age in VA. So he came from so kind of strong back ground. This is from a acceptable source. I would like very much to see if any one is aware of any problems with the ancestry as shown below. Please note that william Whittington died 28 sep 1659 in the netherlands, holland.
    I look forward to your critique!
    Sincerely,
    Ray Montgomery
    The following information on sixteen generations of WHITTINGTONS (through John Whittington and wife, Bridget Hereford) comes from The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society and is courtesy of Ed Hopkins. **************
    SIR GUY VYTEINSEN was born and died in Normandy.
    SIR RICHARD VYTEINSEN died in Normandy.
    SIR GUY VYTEINSEN died in Normandy.
    SIR GUY DE VYTIENTSON was born in Normandy, and died in England.
    Sir Guy de Vytientson is the earliest member of his family found in old English records, (The Doomsday Book). He is said to be descended from a very ancient family of Normandy. He emigrated to England with William the Conqueror c1070.
    SIR GUY DE WITINTON
    SIR WILLIAM WHITTINGTON married MAUD DE SOLERS, daughter of JOHN DE SOLERS. She died 1284.
    SIR WILLIAM WHITTINGTON was born Abt. 1280 in Pauntley, Gloucestersghire, England, and died 1359. Sir William became Lord of Pauntley. He was declared, by the Inquisition of 1311, to be the son of William Whittington and Maud de Solers, and the next heir to John, son of Thomas de Solers. In William Whittington, the Manor and Estate of Pauntley were reunited.
    DOCTOR SIR ROBERT WHITTINGTON was born Abt. 1355 in Paunyley, Woucestershire, England. Doctor Sir Robert Whittington was Surgeon to the Throne as well as High Sheriff of Gloucestershire in 1402 and 1407. He succeeded his brother William as Lord of Pauntley.
    SIR GUY DE WHITTINGTON was born Bet. 1390 - 1400 in Pauntley, Gloucestersghire, England. He married CECILY BROWNING. Sir Guy was Lord of Pauntley and attained the estates of Notgrove, Lye, and Rodborrow through his marriage to Cecily Browning. He was High Sheriff of Gloucestershire in 1428 and 1434.
    ROBERT WHITTINGTON married ELIZABETH ROUSE, daughter of BALDWYN ROUSE. WILLIAM WHITTINGTON was born Abt. 1451 in Gloucestershire, England. He married ELIZABETH ARUNDEL, daughter of HUMPHREY ARUNDEL.
    JOHN WHITTINGTON was born Abt. 1475 in Gloucestershire, England. He married (2) ELIZABETH MELBORNE, daughter of SIMON MELBORNE. He married (1)
    ELIZABETH CROFTS, daughter of SIR RICHARD CROFTS.
    John Whittington was High Sheriff of Gloucestershire in 1517.

My line descends from RICHARD WHITTINGTON and I was wondering if anyone was looking into this line, which descends to my gateway ancestor Sarah Woodward Henchman.

RICHARD WHITTINGTON married ?
    RICHARD WHITTINGTON, ESQ. married ?
    ISABEL WHITTINGTON, daughter, married (1) JOHN RUDHALE abt 1522, (2) WALTER HORTON bef 6 Dec 1632.

Isabel was the coheiress of her father Richard's estate and her uncle John Whittington's estate at Staunton, Worcestershire. She and her husband, Walter Horton, had to sue brother-in-law Charles Rudhale, Gent. and Reynold Bysshop to gain her share.

I have reviewed both Guy Whittington and Richard Whittington, Esq. and this seems to be correct on its face. The Whittington/Milborne/Rudhale connection had been set a generation ago as Sir John Rudhale was the son of Anne Milborne, daughter of Simon
    Milborne and Jane Baskerville, the same parents of Elizabeth Milborne Whittington (w. of John) above.

I appreciate any additional information on this line.

Darrell

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05