• Roger son of Roger and Early Yorkshire Charters

From Wibs@21:1/5 to All on Tue Aug 2 04:51:31 2022
    In EYC ii, p. 331 (notes to Charter 1003) it gives a notitia of the return of William Fossard I of the knights holding fees of him in 1166. One such knight, Roger son of Roger, held various fees in the East Riding of Yorkshire.
    https://archive.org/details/earlyyorkshirech02farruoft/page/330/mode/2up

Later in this volume, pp. 423-4, (notes to Charters 1130, 1131 and 1132), it gives grants by Roger son of Roger (son of Alured), all dated 'before 1180', implying that Roger son of Roger was dead by that time. However, in none of the first three volumes
    of EYC does it give the origin of this 'before 1180'. https://archive.org/details/earlyyorkshirech02farruoft/page/422/mode/2up

Here in Spain I have access to the indexes to EYC vols 4-12 (but not the volumes themselves), and I see there are references to this Roger son of Roger in vol iv, p. 145, and in vol. viii, p. 148n.

If someone has access to either or both of these two volumes, and could see if it refers to when Roger son of Roger died, or if the information is in any other source (e.g. COEL, Domesday Descendants, etc.), I would be most grateful.

Wibs

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to Wibs on Tue Aug 2 22:28:11 2022
    On 02-Aug-22 9:51 PM, Wibs wrote:
    In EYC ii, p. 331 (notes to Charter 1003) it gives a notitia of the return of William Fossard I of the knights holding fees of him in 1166. One such knight, Roger son of Roger, held various fees in the East Riding of Yorkshire.

Later in this volume, pp. 423-4, (notes to Charters 1130, 1131 and 1132), it gives grants by Roger son of Roger (son of Alured), all dated 'before 1180', implying that Roger son of Roger was dead by that time. However, in none of the first three
    volumes of EYC does it give the origin of this 'before 1180'.
    https://archive.org/details/earlyyorkshirech02farruoft/page/422/mode/2up

Here in Spain I have access to the indexes to EYC vols 4-12 (but not the volumes themselves), and I see there are references to this Roger son of Roger in vol iv, p. 145, and in vol. viii, p. 148n.

If someone has access to either or both of these two volumes, and could see if it refers to when Roger son of Roger died, or if the information is in any other source (e.g. COEL, Domesday Descendants, etc.), I would be most grateful.

In _Early Yorkshire Charters_ vol iv p. 145 no. 114 is from the
    Fountains abbey cartulary, undated "Gift by Gilomichael de Middleton,
    with the consent of Henry his son and heir, to Fountains abbey of 18
    acres of land in Middleton [Tyas]; for a payment of 5 marks of silver
    and a yearly rent of 12d." The fifth witness is "Rogerus filius Rogeri"
    and the editor ascribed it to "c. 1168-94".

In vol viii p. 148 note 12 says: "In 1218 Henry [de Neufmarché] granted
    2 bovates of land in Barnborough to Roger son of Roger (Yorks. Fines
    1218-31, p. 9)".

The entry in _Domesday Descendants_ for "Filii Rogeri, Roger", on p. 953
    says: "Held of William Fossard at Huggate, North Cave, Haverthorpe,
    Aughton and Laythorn, Yorkshire, in 1166 (EYC ii, 1003, note p. 331. Red
    Book of the Exchequer, ed. Hall (1897), pp. 408-8."

Peter Stewart

--
    This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
    https://www.avg.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Wibs@21:1/5 to pss...@optusnet.com.au on Mon Aug 8 09:12:37 2022
    On Tuesday, 2 August 2022 at 14:28:13 UTC+2, pss...@optusnet.com.au wrote:

Later in this volume, pp. 423-4, (notes to Charters 1130, 1131 and 1132), it gives grants by Roger son of Roger (son of Alured), all dated 'before 1180', implying that Roger son of Roger was dead by that time. However, in none of the first three

2 bovates of land in Barnborough to Roger son of Roger (Yorks. Fines 1218-31, p. 9)".

The entry in _Domesday Descendants_ for "Filii Rogeri, Roger", on p. 953 says: "Held of William Fossard at Huggate, North Cave, Haverthorpe,
    Aughton and Laythorn, Yorkshire, in 1166 (EYC ii, 1003, note p. 331. Red Book of the Exchequer, ed. Hall (1897), pp. 408-8."

Peter Stewart

--

Thanks for this Peter.

I think I have finally worked it out. Roger son of Roger was the founder of Thicket Priory, which was partly in the parish of Wheldrake, but mostly in the parish of Thorganby, in the East Riding. Another donor to the Priory's foundation was Picot. The
    question arose of just who this Picot was, and Farrer suggested possibly Picot de Lascelles. I think it is almost certain that this was the case, as Picot de Lascelles was from the neighbouring parish of Escrick (to Wheldrake and Thorganby) and Picot's
    son, Roger de Lascelles later also endowed the Priory. It is known that Picot de Lascelles died in 1179, so Roger, as the original founder, must have founded Thicket before Picot, so to rule out a foundation in the later part of 1179 Farrer gives 'before
    1180'.

It is not clear, and had to be deduced.

This is just a first pass at solving the 'before 1180' question, but I will confirm after I have checked a few more sources.

Thanks again.

Wibs

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Wibs@21:1/5 to Wibs on Tue Aug 9 05:44:29 2022
    On Monday, 8 August 2022 at 18:12:39 UTC+2, Wibs wrote:

and a yearly rent of 12d." The fifth witness is "Rogerus filius Rogeri" and the editor ascribed it to "c. 1168-94".

2 bovates of land in Barnborough to Roger son of Roger (Yorks. Fines 1218-31, p. 9)".

The entry in _Domesday Descendants_ for "Filii Rogeri, Roger", on p. 953 says: "Held of William Fossard at Huggate, North Cave, Haverthorpe, Aughton and Laythorn, Yorkshire, in 1166 (EYC ii, 1003, note p. 331. Red Book of the Exchequer, ed. Hall (1897), pp. 408-8."

Peter Stewart

--
    Thanks for this Peter.

I think I have finally worked it out. Roger son of Roger was the founder of Thicket Priory, which was partly in the parish of Wheldrake, but mostly in the parish of Thorganby, in the East Riding. Another donor to the Priory's foundation was Picot. The
    question arose of just who this Picot was, and Farrer suggested possibly Picot de Lascelles. I think it is almost certain that this was the case, as Picot de Lascelles was from the neighbouring parish of Escrick (to Wheldrake and Thorganby) and Picot's
    son, Roger de Lascelles later also endowed the Priory. It is known that Picot de Lascelles died in 1179, so Roger, as the original founder, must have founded Thicket before Picot, so to rule out a foundation in the later part of 1179 Farrer gives 'before
    1180'.

This is just a first pass at solving the 'before 1180' question, but I will confirm after I have checked a few more sources.

Thanks again.

Wibs

The pedigree of the de Lascelles family is in EYC volume 5, page 184, and shows that Picot de Lascelles died ante Mich. 1179, which I now have courtesy of Google Books (snippet view) but Picot is mentioned on the previous page, p. 183, for which there is
    no view, and I am hoping that this page shows the source for him dying ante Mich. 1179.

Do you have access to this volume Peter?

Wibs

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to Wibs on Wed Aug 10 08:52:27 2022
    On 09-Aug-22 10:44 PM, Wibs wrote:
    On Tuesday, 2 August 2022 at 14:28:13 UTC+2, pss...@optusnet.com.au wrote: >>> On 02-Aug-22 9:51 PM, Wibs wrote:
    https://archive.org/details/earlyyorkshirech02farruoft/page/330/mode/2up >>>>
    https://archive.org/details/earlyyorkshirech02farruoft/page/422/mode/2up >>>>

In vol viii p. 148 note 12 says: "In 1218 Henry [de Neufmarché] granted >>> 2 bovates of land in Barnborough to Roger son of Roger (Yorks. Fines
    1218-31, p. 9)".

The entry in _Domesday Descendants_ for "Filii Rogeri, Roger", on p. 953 >>> says: "Held of William Fossard at Huggate, North Cave, Haverthorpe,
    Aughton and Laythorn, Yorkshire, in 1166 (EYC ii, 1003, note p. 331. Red >>> Book of the Exchequer, ed. Hall (1897), pp. 408-8."

Peter Stewart

--
    Thanks for this Peter.

1180'.

Thanks again.

Wibs

The pedigree of the de Lascelles family is in EYC volume 5, page 184, and shows that Picot de Lascelles died ante Mich. 1179, which I now have courtesy of Google Books (snippet view) but Picot is mentioned on the previous page, p. 183, for which there
    is no view, and I am hoping that this page shows the source for him dying ante Mich. 1179.

On p. 183 it says: "He died before Michaelmas 1179, when Roger [his son]
    was under age." The reference given for this is "Pipe Roll 25 Hen. II,
    p. 22; Adam de Reinerville there describes Roger de Lacell' as his lord"
    (here:
    https://archive.org/details/piperollsociety28pipeuoft/page/22/mode/1up).

Peter Stewart

--
    This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software.
    www.avg.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Wibs@21:1/5 to pss...@optusnet.com.au on Tue Aug 9 16:27:03 2022
    On Wednesday, 10 August 2022 at 00:52:30 UTC+2, pss...@optusnet.com.au wrote:
    On 09-Aug-22 10:44 PM, Wibs wrote:

Fountains abbey cartulary, undated "Gift by Gilomichael de Middleton, >>> with the consent of Henry his son and heir, to Fountains abbey of 18
    acres of land in Middleton [Tyas]; for a payment of 5 marks of silver >>> and a yearly rent of 12d." The fifth witness is "Rogerus filius Rogeri" >>> and the editor ascribed it to "c. 1168-94".

In vol viii p. 148 note 12 says: "In 1218 Henry [de Neufmarché] granted >>> 2 bovates of land in Barnborough to Roger son of Roger (Yorks. Fines
    1218-31, p. 9)".

The entry in _Domesday Descendants_ for "Filii Rogeri, Roger", on p. 953 >>> says: "Held of William Fossard at Huggate, North Cave, Haverthorpe,
    Aughton and Laythorn, Yorkshire, in 1166 (EYC ii, 1003, note p. 331. Red >>> Book of the Exchequer, ed. Hall (1897), pp. 408-8."

Peter Stewart

--
    Thanks for this Peter.

I think I have finally worked it out. Roger son of Roger was the founder of Thicket Priory, which was partly in the parish of Wheldrake, but mostly in the parish of Thorganby, in the East Riding. Another donor to the Priory's foundation was Picot.
    The question arose of just who this Picot was, and Farrer suggested possibly Picot de Lascelles. I think it is almost certain that this was the case, as Picot de Lascelles was from the neighbouring parish of Escrick (to Wheldrake and Thorganby) and Picot'
    s son, Roger de Lascelles later also endowed the Priory. It is known that Picot de Lascelles died in 1179, so Roger, as the original founder, must have founded Thicket before Picot, so to rule out a foundation in the later part of 1179 Farrer gives '
    before 1180'.

Thanks again.

Wibs

The pedigree of the de Lascelles family is in EYC volume 5, page 184, and shows that Picot de Lascelles died ante Mich. 1179, which I now have courtesy of Google Books (snippet view) but Picot is mentioned on the previous page, p. 183, for which
    there is no view, and I am hoping that this page shows the source for him dying ante Mich. 1179.

On p. 183 it says: "He died before Michaelmas 1179, when Roger [his son]
    was under age." The reference given for this is "Pipe Roll 25 Hen. II,
    p. 22; Adam de Reinerville there describes Roger de Lacell' as his lord" (here: https://archive.org/details/piperollsociety28pipeuoft/page/22/mode/1up).

Peter Stewart

--
    This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software. www.avg.com

In English that reads:
    Adam de Reineruilla renders the account of 100s. for holding his peace until Roger de Lacellus, his lord, is old enough to plead.

Thanks Peter. That clinches it :)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05