• Demolition of DUNHAM of Scrooby [Long]

From Mike Clifford@21:1/5 to paju...@bellsouth.net on Mon Aug 16 08:00:51 2021
    On Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 3:56:42 PM UTC+1, paju...@bellsouth.net wrote:
    After years of trying to find my Dunham connection, it appears I am from the Jonathan Singletary. I remain mystified by that surname because it seems to just appear in Surfleet Lincs no earlier than mid 1500s. I researched in Cambridgeshire,
    Bedfordshire, Lincolnshire and other counties. I was somewhat skeptical of the Richard Dunham poulter offered by Reed but DNA seems to support that, provided the lineage used was correct. This confusion is similar to the new revelations of the ancestry
    of Richard Lee, immigrant.
    Pat

Sent from my iPhone
    On May 10, 2017, at 11:01 PM, dunham....@gmail.com wrote:

On Thursday, April 2, 1998 at 1:00:00 AM UTC-7, Reedpcgen wrote:

Since it is usual that people have a difficult time giving up what has so long
    been familiar, I post the following to finish this thing off once and for all.

snip

If I were a Dunham descendant, I would be grateful to have an account of the
    real marriage and origin of the immigrant John Dunham in Bedfordshire as >> published in TAG and a possible father, which traces the line back with real
    records as far as what is left of the fake ancestry.

I am a Dunham descendant who initially got caught up in the faux Dunham lineage; however, I am now scrupulous about vetting my family tree. I believe there is a real father for the immigrant John Dunham (source and details are shown below).

Source: England \u0026amp; Wales\u002C Christening Index\u002C 1530-1980

Name John Dunham
    Gender Male
    Christening Date 8 Feb 1589
    Christening Place Pirton, Hertfordshire, England
    Phillimore Ecclesiastical Parish Map 12369
    Father Richard Dunham

Household Members
    Name Age
    John Dunham
    Richard Dunham

The above information is probably old news to many Dunham-watchers, but there are still people buying into and perpetuating the glamour of knighthood and pageantry of the misdirection held sway for so long. For example, on ancestry.com someone
    uploaded a portrait of "Sir John Dunham" that I discovered to be Titian's Portrait of Federico II Gonzaga. Go figure.

sed

-------------------------------
    To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to GEN-MEDIEV...@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
    I presume that you are aware of the Nicholas and Henry Dounham of Luton Bedfordshire extant January 22nd 1417 / 18 https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=njp.32101076189842&view=1up&seq=72&skin=2021&q1=dounham
    Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)