• Re: House of Wessex

From Paul Harper@21:1/5 to Max Stenner on Tue Jun 21 11:55:32 2022
    On Thursday, 11 March 2021 at 19:15:31 UTC, Max Stenner wrote:
    I have been studying the House of Wessex and are trying to find out if the dynasty continued beyond the 1120s with the death of Edgar Ætheling. There are quite a few people named ‘Ætheling’ in pipe rolls and other legal records long after Edgar
    died. With Ætheling meaning prince and was commonly used by Anglo-Saxon princes, it is possible that they could be descended from Edgar but they could have also been descended from the House of Godwin or the Knytlingas.

There are also multiple claims of parentage of Edgar, these being

1. Silvestro Ætheling, barone di Milacca di San Lorenzo (b. 1071. d. 1148), supposedly an illegitimate son fathered in Italy in 1071, though around this time Edgar was occupied in Britain, the main source for this claim are dodgy Maltese genealogy
    websites based on poorly documented lines. Edgar did go to Italy, but around 15 years later in 1086.
    2. Matilda (d. 1146/47), wife of Guiges III, Count of Albon, she is referred to as the ‘Queen of England’ in chronicles, which has caused many to speculate that she was a daughter of Edgar, but now the common belief is that she was a daughter of
    Roger I of Sicily with his second wife. I honestly don’t see the link between Sicily and England at that time except the fact that they were both ruled by Normans. Matilda wasn’t an Anglo-Saxon name, and rather a name more popular with the Normans,
    which has led me to speculate that she was an illegitimate daughter of William the Conqueror.
    3. Margaret, wife of Ralph Lovel II of Castle Carey and Thomas de Londres. The source for this claim is a Huntingdon Chronicle mentioned in the article ‘Companions of the Atheling’ by Geoffrey Barlow, which states that Margaret was the daughter of
    Edgar.

Did he have any children? This question has been asked a couple of times here
    but with no straight answer.

Hi Max,
    I'm a freelance journalist who is writing a book about Cerdic of Wessex. I wanted to ask you about this entry on Find My Grave.
    https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/194208824/cerdic-cerdicing#source

Could you drop me an email if possible. Many thanks,
    Paul

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Paulo Ricardo Canedo@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 21 16:06:01 2022
    A terça-feira, 21 de junho de 2022 à(s) 19:55:35 UTC+1, Paul Harper escreveu:
    I have been studying the House of Wessex and are trying to find out if the dynasty continued beyond the 1120s with the death of Edgar Ætheling. There are quite a few people named ‘Ætheling’ in pipe rolls and other legal records long after Edgar
    died. With Ætheling meaning prince and was commonly used by Anglo-Saxon princes, it is possible that they could be descended from Edgar but they could have also been descended from the House of Godwin or the Knytlingas.

1. Silvestro Ætheling, barone di Milacca di San Lorenzo (b. 1071. d. 1148), supposedly an illegitimate son fathered in Italy in 1071, though around this time Edgar was occupied in Britain, the main source for this claim are dodgy Maltese genealogy
    websites based on poorly documented lines. Edgar did go to Italy, but around 15 years later in 1086.
    2. Matilda (d. 1146/47), wife of Guiges III, Count of Albon, she is referred to as the ‘Queen of England’ in chronicles, which has caused many to speculate that she was a daughter of Edgar, but now the common belief is that she was a daughter of
    Roger I of Sicily with his second wife. I honestly don’t see the link between Sicily and England at that time except the fact that they were both ruled by Normans. Matilda wasn’t an Anglo-Saxon name, and rather a name more popular with the Normans,
    which has led me to speculate that she was an illegitimate daughter of William the Conqueror.
    3. Margaret, wife of Ralph Lovel II of Castle Carey and Thomas de Londres. The source for this claim is a Huntingdon Chronicle mentioned in the article ‘Companions of the Atheling’ by Geoffrey Barlow, which states that Margaret was the daughter
    of Edgar.

Hi Max,
    I'm a freelance journalist who is writing a book about Cerdic of Wessex. I wanted to ask you about this entry on Find My Grave.

Paul
    Dear Paul, that Find a Grave entry is worthless as we don't have the slightest ides of where Cerdic is buried.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mike davis@21:1/5 to Paulo Ricardo Canedo on Thu Jun 23 03:23:17 2022
    On Wednesday, June 22, 2022 at 12:06:04 AM UTC+1, Paulo Ricardo Canedo wrote:
    I have been studying the House of Wessex and are trying to find out if the dynasty continued beyond the 1120s with the death of Edgar Ætheling. There are quite a few people named ‘Ætheling’ in pipe rolls and other legal records long after
    Edgar died. With Ætheling meaning prince and was commonly used by Anglo-Saxon princes, it is possible that they could be descended from Edgar but they could have also been descended from the House of Godwin or the Knytlingas.

2. Matilda (d. 1146/47), wife of Guiges III, Count of Albon, she is referred to as the ‘Queen of England’ in chronicles, which has caused many to speculate that she was a daughter of Edgar, but now the common belief is that she was a daughter
    of Roger I of Sicily with his second wife. I honestly don’t see the link between Sicily and England at that time except the fact that they were both ruled by Normans. Matilda wasn’t an Anglo-Saxon name, and rather a name more popular with the Normans,
    3. Margaret, wife of Ralph Lovel II of Castle Carey and Thomas de Londres. The source for this claim is a Huntingdon Chronicle mentioned in the article ‘Companions of the Atheling’ by Geoffrey Barlow, which states that Margaret was the daughter
    of Edgar.

Hi Max,

Paul
    Dear Paul, that Find a Grave entry is worthless as we don't have the slightest ides of where Cerdic is buried.

I believe Cerdicesbeorg is a place name in a 10th century charter located near Hurstbourne in the Test valley,
    so that part is true. I think its in Sawyers collection of AS charters no359. I havnt looked at this, so I dont
    know if he was the one who made the suggestion that it was where Cerdic might have been buried. But if
    you're writing a book on Cerdic, I suggest looking at the writings of Barbara Yorke on the subject rather
    than FindaGrave.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul Harper@21:1/5 to mike davis on Thu Jun 23 03:49:33 2022
    On Thursday, 23 June 2022 at 11:23:21 UTC+1, mike davis wrote:
    On Wednesday, June 22, 2022 at 12:06:04 AM UTC+1, Paulo Ricardo Canedo wrote:
    I have been studying the House of Wessex and are trying to find out if the dynasty continued beyond the 1120s with the death of Edgar Ætheling. There are quite a few people named ‘Ætheling’ in pipe rolls and other legal records long after
    Edgar died. With Ætheling meaning prince and was commonly used by Anglo-Saxon princes, it is possible that they could be descended from Edgar but they could have also been descended from the House of Godwin or the Knytlingas.

1. Silvestro Ætheling, barone di Milacca di San Lorenzo (b. 1071. d. 1148), supposedly an illegitimate son fathered in Italy in 1071, though around this time Edgar was occupied in Britain, the main source for this claim are dodgy Maltese
    genealogy websites based on poorly documented lines. Edgar did go to Italy, but around 15 years later in 1086.
    2. Matilda (d. 1146/47), wife of Guiges III, Count of Albon, she is referred to as the ‘Queen of England’ in chronicles, which has caused many to speculate that she was a daughter of Edgar, but now the common belief is that she was a daughter
    of Roger I of Sicily with his second wife. I honestly don’t see the link between Sicily and England at that time except the fact that they were both ruled by Normans. Matilda wasn’t an Anglo-Saxon name, and rather a name more popular with the Normans,
    3. Margaret, wife of Ralph Lovel II of Castle Carey and Thomas de Londres. The source for this claim is a Huntingdon Chronicle mentioned in the article ‘Companions of the Atheling’ by Geoffrey Barlow, which states that Margaret was the
    daughter of Edgar.

Hi Max,

Paul
    I believe Cerdicesbeorg is a place name in a 10th century charter located near Hurstbourne in the Test valley,
    so that part is true. I think its in Sawyers collection of AS charters no359. I havnt looked at this, so I dont
    know if he was the one who made the suggestion that it was where Cerdic might have been buried. But if
    you're writing a book on Cerdic, I suggest looking at the writings of Barbara Yorke on the subject rather
    than FindaGrave.

Mike
    Yes you are correct and I have investigated the Cerdicesbeorg from the Sawyer charter extensively and looked at the writings of Barbara Yorke. The Find My Grave site gave a different location so I wanted to establish where it came from. Thanks,

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Stewart Baldwin@21:1/5 to Paul Harper on Thu Jun 23 07:15:16 2022
    On Thursday, June 23, 2022 at 5:49:35 AM UTC-5, Paul Harper wrote:
    Yes you are correct and I have investigated the Cerdicesbeorg from the Sawyer charter extensively and looked at the writings of Barbara Yorke. The Find My Grave site gave a different location so I wanted to establish where it came from.

Find A Grave is a useful site for getting photographic copies of gravestones, and useful additional data is occasionally added (such as copies of newspaper obituaries). When you find something at Find A Grave that is different from what the site was
    designed for, such as an alleged genealogy of the individual written by an amateur using who knows what sources, then the chances of finding something of value are pretty bad. This is especially true for early medieval individuals, as few competent
    scholars would regard Find A Grave as an appropriate outlet for posting medieval genealogical research.

Personally, I have my doubts that there is enough material out there to write an entire book about Cerdic without including some extremely questionable stuff, but high priority should be placed on David Dumville's articles on early West Saxon and Anglo-
    Saxon history, and Kenneth Sisam's early article on the fabrication of Cerdic's fictitious genealogy is a must read.

Stewart Baldwin

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From taf@21:1/5 to Stewart Baldwin on Thu Jun 23 08:05:51 2022
    On Thursday, June 23, 2022 at 7:15:19 AM UTC-7, Stewart Baldwin wrote:

Find A Grave is a useful site for getting photographic copies of gravestones, and useful additional data is occasionally added (such as copies of newspaper obituaries). When you find something at Find A Grave that is different from what the site was
    designed for, such as an alleged genealogy of the individual written by an amateur using who knows what sources, then the chances of finding something of value are pretty bad. This is especially true for early medieval individuals, as few competent
    scholars would regard Find A Grave as an appropriate outlet for posting medieval genealogical research.

Unfortunately, Find A Grave lost its way. It originally existed to document tombstones, but then it devolved into just another internet genealogy site, with people creating profiles with made up burial information just because 'my ancestor deserves a
    profile'. As SB says, FaG is useful for a tombstone photograph or transcript (actual verbatim transcript, not just a prose summary of the information) or attached primary records, and pretty much nothing else.

Regarding Cerdic, all of the sources have been known for more than a century, and while there may be new interpretations, there is no new information, such as a burial site (and if someone were to find a novel source, Find A Grave is unlikely to be among
    the places they consider announcing their discovery). Someone has simply made this up, probably based on logic no more insightful than 'it must have been called Cerdicesbeorg because he was buried there'. IMO, it was probably called Cerdicesbeorg because
    a local tradition came to associate an ancient earthwork (burh - fortress) with a really old king, in the same way that places all over the UK came to be associated with Arthur (or in a more recent analog, all of the places in the eastern US that used to
    claim pridefully that 'George Washington slept here'), and there is no particular reason to think that a historical Cerdic had anything to do with it.

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul Harper@21:1/5 to taf on Thu Jun 23 08:41:14 2022
    On Thursday, 23 June 2022 at 16:05:54 UTC+1, taf wrote:
    On Thursday, June 23, 2022 at 7:15:19 AM UTC-7, Stewart Baldwin wrote:

Unfortunately, Find A Grave lost its way. It originally existed to document tombstones, but then it devolved into just another internet genealogy site, with people creating profiles with made up burial information just because 'my ancestor deserves a
    profile'. As SB says, FaG is useful for a tombstone photograph or transcript (actual verbatim transcript, not just a prose summary of the information) or attached primary records, and pretty much nothing else.

Regarding Cerdic, all of the sources have been known for more than a century, and while there may be new interpretations, there is no new information, such as a burial site (and if someone were to find a novel source, Find A Grave is unlikely to be
    among the places they consider announcing their discovery). Someone has simply made this up, probably based on logic no more insightful than 'it must have been called Cerdicesbeorg because he was buried there'. IMO, it was probably called Cerdicesbeorg
    because a local tradition came to associate an ancient earthwork (burh - fortress) with a really old king, in the same way that places all over the UK came to be associated with Arthur (or in a more recent analog, all of the places in the eastern US that
    used to claim pridefully that 'George Washington slept here'), and there is no particular reason to think that a historical Cerdic had anything to do with it.

While I'd agree there are many examples of landmarks being named after legendary figures, (Arthur's Seat for example) there are only two Cerdicesbeorgs I've discovered, both in a similar area. It's documented that many large Bronze Age barrows in Wessex
    were dug up in the post-Roman period and tribal leaders, kings buried in them. Also, very few books about the Dark Ages focus entirely on one period or individual.
    The geolocation on Find A Grave was worth checking if it is spurious. I have spoken to Max now.
    Anyway thanks for your thoughts. Paul

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mike davis@21:1/5 to Stewart Baldwin on Thu Jun 23 11:31:26 2022
    On Thursday, June 23, 2022 at 3:15:19 PM UTC+1, Stewart Baldwin wrote:
    On Thursday, June 23, 2022 at 5:49:35 AM UTC-5, Paul Harper wrote:
    Yes you are correct and I have investigated the Cerdicesbeorg from the Sawyer charter extensively and looked at the writings of Barbara Yorke. The Find My Grave site gave a different location so I wanted to establish where it came from.

Personally, I have my doubts that there is enough material out there to write an entire book about Cerdic without including some extremely questionable stuff, but high priority should be placed on David Dumville's articles on early West Saxon and Anglo-
    Saxon history, and Kenneth Sisam's early article on the fabrication of Cerdic's fictitious genealogy is a must read.

And if they put together all these articles about the early history of Wessex and legends of Cerdic,
    that would be a pretty useful book!

Was it Dumville, Sisam or someone else who suggested that some of the early kings of Wessex had
    British names, Cerdic/ceretic, Caedwalla/Cadwallon?

mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From taf@21:1/5 to mike davis on Thu Jun 23 11:58:55 2022
    On Thursday, June 23, 2022 at 11:31:29 AM UTC-7, mike davis wrote:

Was it Dumville, Sisam or someone else who suggested that some of the early kings of Wessex had

As to the first of these, Francis Palgrave equated Cerdic with Ceredig or Caradoc in his 1832 work The Rise and Progress of the English Commonwealth: Anglo-Saxon Period, part 1, p. 399. He may not have been the first. For the second, the earliest that a
    quick search turns up is a footnote to the preface for a work of fiction, Frank Cooper's Cædwalla, Or, The Saxons in the Isle of Wight: A Tale, 1868, p. vi. He speculates "Could Cædwalla really have been of British descent?" Again, this may not be the
    first. Thus both long predate the scholars you name, but it probably wasn't until the 20th cnetury that historians moved from recognizing the British nature of the names as a curiosity to a scholarly synthesis about the origin of the dynasty.

taf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mike davis@21:1/5 to taf on Fri Jun 24 07:47:44 2022
    On Thursday, June 23, 2022 at 7:58:58 PM UTC+1, taf wrote:
    On Thursday, June 23, 2022 at 11:31:29 AM UTC-7, mike davis wrote:

As to the first of these, Francis Palgrave equated Cerdic with Ceredig or Caradoc in his 1832 work The Rise and Progress of the English Commonwealth: Anglo-Saxon Period, part 1, p. 399. He may not have been the first. For the second, the earliest that
    a quick search turns up is a footnote to the preface for a work of fiction, Frank Cooper's Cædwalla, Or, The Saxons in the Isle of Wight: A Tale, 1868, p. vi. He speculates "Could Cædwalla really have been of British descent?" Again, this may not be
    the first. Thus both long predate the scholars you name, but it probably wasn't until the 20th cnetury that historians moved from recognizing the British nature of the names as a curiosity to a scholarly synthesis about the origin of the dynasty.

ta very much. The one I was thinking of isnt so old, but Henry Howorth in EHR 1898, p667 where he says

"It is quite clear that whatever truth there may be in the genealogy from Gewis to Cynric given in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle it does not represent a series of Teutonic names, but of Welsh ones; and when, under the year 552, these Welsh names are tacked
    on to some heroic Teutonic ones, Gewis being made the son of Wig, Wig the son of Freawin, Freawin of Freodhogar, Freodhogar of Brand, Brand of Baeldaeg, and Bseldaeg of Woden, this is the result of an artificial attempt at pedigree-making.."

I read another, but the ref escapes me presently, which argued that as Bede doesnt mention Cerdic and Cynric,
    they were just added to the pedigrees/history in emulation of the hengest/horsa legend in Kent, and the real
    founder of the west saxon dynasty/kingdom was Ceawlin in the Thames Valley, and the story of their landing
    in the Solent was copied from a foundation legend of the Jutes in Wight and Hampshire who were only
    conquered by Caedwalla in the late 7th century.

mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05