• Peter de Brus II wife - Joan is she a de Lacy or de Grammaire

From Qween Mewwy@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 9 14:26:16 2022
    Hello -
    If I do this wrong I am sorry this is literally my first post. I have searched through previous posts and gone through Richardson's sources for Peter de Brus and his wife Joan. All the sources that mentioned who Joan might be came up with a "we are not
    sure if she is a de Lacy or de Grammaie."

I am really hoping that there has been further sources or information regarding Joan who married Peter de Brus II (b. after 1190 d. before 7 Sep 1247) and his wife Joan.

Any assistance would be fantastic. Below is the link of 2 of us trying to figure out who Joan's parents are.

Thank you,
    Mary

https://www.geni.com/discussions/249126?msg=1561721

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From pj.evans88@gmail.com@21:1/5 to joe...@gmail.com on Mon May 9 17:08:51 2022
    On Monday, May 9, 2022 at 4:21:30 PM UTC-7, joe...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Monday, May 9, 2022 at 5:26:18 PM UTC-4, mlabe...@gmail.com wrote:
    Hello -
    If I do this wrong I am sorry this is literally my first post. I have searched through previous posts and gone through Richardson's sources for Peter de Brus and his wife Joan. All the sources that mentioned who Joan might be came up with a "we are
    not sure if she is a de Lacy or de Grammaie."

I am really hoping that there has been further sources or information regarding Joan who married Peter de Brus II (b. after 1190 d. before 7 Sep 1247) and his wife Joan.

Any assistance would be fantastic. Below is the link of 2 of us trying to figure out who Joan's parents are.
    Welcome!!

Rosie Bevan (a frequent contributor here) wrote the most recent analysis of this issue in 2013 (at least that I am aware of). It looks like the full article is available without a sign-in here:

https://www.academia.edu/4342598/Keeping_it_in_the_Family_Sex_Scandal_and_Rebellion_in_Baronial_Cleveland

It appears she identifies Joan's parentage with "virtual certainty".
    I hope this helps,
    Joe Cook

Note that it requires you signing up for one of their "free accounts" that puts you on their email list.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From joseph cook@21:1/5 to mlabe...@gmail.com on Mon May 9 16:21:28 2022
    Hello -
    If I do this wrong I am sorry this is literally my first post. I have searched through previous posts and gone through Richardson's sources for Peter de Brus and his wife Joan. All the sources that mentioned who Joan might be came up with a "we are not
    sure if she is a de Lacy or de Grammaie."

Welcome!!

Rosie Bevan (a frequent contributor here) wrote the most recent analysis of this issue in 2013 (at least that I am aware of). It looks like the full article is available without a sign-in here:

https://www.academia.edu/4342598/Keeping_it_in_the_Family_Sex_Scandal_and_Rebellion_in_Baronial_Cleveland

I hope this helps,
    Joe Cook

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From joseph cook@21:1/5 to pj.ev...@gmail.com on Mon May 9 17:17:18 2022
    On Monday, May 9, 2022 at 8:08:53 PM UTC-4, pj.ev...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Monday, May 9, 2022 at 4:21:30 PM UTC-7, joe...@gmail.com wrote:
    Hello -
    If I do this wrong I am sorry this is literally my first post. I have searched through previous posts and gone through Richardson's sources for Peter de Brus and his wife Joan. All the sources that mentioned who Joan might be came up with a "we are

Welcome!!

I hope this helps,
    Joe Cook
    Note that it requires you signing up for one of their "free accounts" that puts you on their email list.

Not in my location. I am not logged in at all; and I can scroll down and see the whole thing
    --Joe C

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Stewart@21:1/5 to joseph cook on Tue May 10 10:30:27 2022
    On 10-May-22 9:21 AM, joseph cook wrote:
    Hello -

Welcome!!

But, as set out in Rosie Bevan's excellent article, Joan married Peter I
    and was mother not wife of Peter II - see p. 13: "Having taken livery of
    his estates in 1198, Peter would have been born around 1177. Assuming
    Joan was of a similar age, chronologically she must be placed in the
    family as daughter of John, Constable of Chester, who lived between
    c.1150 and 1190, and his wife Alice, daughter of Roger fitz Richard,
    Lord of Warkworth, by Alice de Vere. Joan, therefore, was a sister of
    Roger de Lacy, who appears to have been born around 1170. However, the
    estate in Knottingley could only have come to Peter and Joan after
    Roger’s accession to the Honour of Pontefract in 1194, which probably
    marks the date of their marriage and is consistent with the timing of
    the birth of their son and heir, Peter II, who was born before 1201.
    [note 40: The date is assumed by the fact that Peter II took seisin of
    his estates immediately after his father’s death in 1222.]"

The wife of Peter II was Hawise de Lancaster.

Peter Stewart

--
    This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
    https://www.avg.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Qween Mewwy@21:1/5 to All on Tue May 10 13:26:12 2022
    Everyone THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. A friend and I have been attempting to fix a Geni relationship and hopefully this will allow us to put a pin it is.
    Also, here is (hopefully works correctly) a link to the PDF by Rosie Bevan:

https://fmg.ac/images/foundations/vol5/Keeping%20in%20family.pdf

Thank you,
    Mary

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05