• Re: 1516 Pardon After Indictment for Murder?

From Girl57@21:1/5 to All on Sun Apr 10 08:05:13 2022
    On Sunday, April 10, 2022 at 10:38:40 AM UTC-4, Girl57 wrote:
    Re: below reference to a 5 Jul, 1516 notation of a pardon for multiple men...It's #2137 in "Letters and Papers, Foreign and Domestic, Henry VIII, Vol. 2, 1515-1518:

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/letters-papers-hen8/vol2/pp640-655

The murder had happened 9 Sep 1508, in East Hauxwell, Yorkshire.

*Any suggestions for where I might look for details of the case?

*Where did the indicted likely live in the eight years between murder and pardon...jail in York? House arrest? None of the above?

*What might have brought about the King's pardon...Was there ongoing investigation/consideration; did a well-connected family member or friend of one of the indicted maybe exert influence for pardon? Were indictments sometimes known, from the beginning,
    to be based on factor(s) other than the facts, and the indicted waited for the judgment of a more favorable sovereign or other official?

*Did the King sometimes know and sometimes not the facts of a case, i.e., did his staff present him with "motions" for pardon to consider, with almost no personal knowledge on his part of the parties involved? Was he sometimes appealed to directly by
    people who knew him well, served him regularly, or whom he favored for any reason? Were actions sometimes taken because they would thwart or annoy his enemies/folks out of favor? All above?

*What governed which cases reached the king/his staff for consideration, and which were decided at lower levels?

*Did indicted people live under significant restrictions in executing business and personal transactions relating to land, marriage, etc.? Their participation in church rites, and other church-related or church-regulated matters?
    It looks like the PRO -- in this case, the North Yorkshire Record Office -- might have Plea Rolls.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Girl57@21:1/5 to All on Sun Apr 10 07:38:39 2022
    Re: below reference to a 5 Jul, 1516 notation of a pardon for multiple men...It's #2137 in "Letters and Papers, Foreign and Domestic, Henry VIII, Vol. 2, 1515-1518:

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/letters-papers-hen8/vol2/pp640-655

The murder had happened 9 Sep 1508, in East Hauxwell, Yorkshire.

*Any suggestions for where I might look for details of the case?

*Where did the indicted likely live in the eight years between murder and pardon...jail in York? House arrest? None of the above?

*What might have brought about the King's pardon...Was there ongoing investigation/consideration; did a well-connected family member or friend of one of the indicted maybe exert influence for pardon? Were indictments sometimes known, from the beginning,
    to be based on factor(s) other than the facts, and the indicted waited for the judgment of a more favorable sovereign or other official?

*Did the King sometimes know and sometimes not the facts of a case, i.e., did his staff present him with "motions" for pardon to consider, with almost no personal knowledge on his part of the parties involved? Was he sometimes appealed to directly by
    people who knew him well, served him regularly, or whom he favored for any reason? Were actions sometimes taken because they would thwart or annoy his enemies/folks out of favor? All above?

*What governed which cases reached the king/his staff for consideration, and which were decided at lower levels?

*Did indicted people live under significant restrictions in executing business and personal transactions relating to land, marriage, etc.? Their participation in church rites, and other church-related or church-regulated matters?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Will Johnson@21:1/5 to All on Sun Apr 10 09:29:10 2022
    I did not have this family at all. So I kept trying various googs to try to find them.
    And found this

https://books.google.com/books?id=5IrzDCavkosC&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&dq=burgh%20of%20hauxwell&pg=PA243#v=onepage&q=burgh%20of%20hauxwell&f=false

I had had this woman as Elizabeth BROUGH instead of Burgh
    but then had her husband as
    Ralph /Lawson/ of Burgh, co York; Knt > 1602

so this would explain how he got Burgh in York, since his family from Newcastle and had inherited Rock, Northumberland

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Girl57@21:1/5 to wjhons...@gmail.com on Sun Apr 10 12:40:34 2022
    On Sunday, April 10, 2022 at 12:29:12 PM UTC-4, wjhons...@gmail.com wrote:
    I did not have this family at all. So I kept trying various googs to try to find them.
    And found this

https://books.google.com/books?id=5IrzDCavkosC&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&dq=burgh%20of%20hauxwell&pg=PA243#v=onepage&q=burgh%20of%20hauxwell&f=false

so this would explain how he got Burgh in York, since his family f. rom Newcastle and had inherited Rock, Northumberland
    wj, Here's what I have about the particular Yorkshire Burgh family that intermarried with the FitzRandolphs -- my primary focus -- in the late 16th- or early-17th century:

https://archive.org/details/McGillLibrary-hssl_visitation-yorkshire_CS437Y4A2-19990/page/n291/mode/2up

This is Visitation of Yorkshire, 1584 (Glover), p. 268.

One of the indicted, Anth. Burgh, is identified in "Letters and Papers" notation as "of Esthawkeswell, York." Margery FitzRandolph's name is on the Visitation pedigree. And a man probably related to Margery -- an Anthony Burgh I've discovered was married
    to Cuthbert Langton's daughter, Bennet -- is mentioned, if same man, in the will of Christopher FitzRandolph the parson, who died in 1516...probably a coincidence, but the same year as the pardon. Would love to know about the murder case and would
    welcome any pointers about where different court records may be preserved.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Wibs@21:1/5 to All on Mon Apr 11 00:51:37 2022
    On Sunday, 10 April 2022 at 21:40:35 UTC+2, Girl57 wrote:
    And found this

so this would explain how he got Burgh in York, since his family f. rom Newcastle and had inherited Rock, Northumberland
    wj, Here's what I have about the particular Yorkshire Burgh family that intermarried with the FitzRandolphs -- my primary focus -- in the late 16th- or early-17th century:

https://archive.org/details/McGillLibrary-hssl_visitation-yorkshire_CS437Y4A2-19990/page/n291/mode/2up

One of the indicted, Anth. Burgh, is identified in "Letters and Papers" notation as "of Esthawkeswell, York." Margery FitzRandolph's name is on the Visitation pedigree. And a man probably related to Margery -- an Anthony Burgh I've discovered was
    married to Cuthbert Langton's daughter, Bennet -- is mentioned, if same man, in the will of Christopher FitzRandolph the parson, who died in 1516...probably a coincidence, but the same year as the pardon. Would love to know about the murder case and
    would welcome any pointers about where different court records may be preserved.

A pardon was usually granted following a petition. The normal route was through a well-connected local person of some standing, or more usually through one of the king's clerks, a Chancery clerk or a clerk in the Privy Seal Office were the popular choice,
    as these clerks had direct access to the king, the council and the chancellor. Of course, there was a fee to be paid for procuring these pardons, and these fees were one of the common ways for the king's clerks to earn extra money for their extra-
    curricular activities, and for the king to replenish his coffers.

Wibs

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Girl57@21:1/5 to Wibs on Mon Apr 11 05:43:55 2022
    On Monday, April 11, 2022 at 3:51:39 AM UTC-4, Wibs wrote:
    And found this

One of the indicted, Anth. Burgh, is identified in "Letters and Papers" notation as "of Esthawkeswell, York." Margery FitzRandolph's name is on the Visitation pedigree. And a man probably related to Margery -- an Anthony Burgh I've discovered was
    married to Cuthbert Langton's daughter, Bennet -- is mentioned, if same man, in the will of Christopher FitzRandolph the parson, who died in 1516...probably a coincidence, but the same year as the pardon. Would love to know about the murder case and
    would welcome any pointers about where different court records may be preserved.
    A pardon was usually granted following a petition. The normal route was through a well-connected local person of some standing, or more usually through one of the king's clerks, a Chancery clerk or a clerk in the Privy Seal Office were the popular
    choice, as these clerks had direct access to the king, the council and the chancellor. Of course, there was a fee to be paid for procuring these pardons, and these fees were one of the common ways for the king's clerks to earn extra money for their extra-

Wibs
    Wibs, thank you...this is helpful insight. It should have occurred to me that the coffers were involved -: I'm continuing to see if there might be records of these kinds of cases. My best bet may be the North Yorkshire Record Office. Hope I'm on the
    trail.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Wibs@21:1/5 to All on Mon Apr 11 09:45:58 2022
    On Monday, 11 April 2022 at 14:43:56 UTC+2, Girl57 wrote:
    And found this

A pardon was usually granted following a petition. The normal route was through a well-connected local person of some standing, or more usually through one of the king's clerks, a Chancery clerk or a clerk in the Privy Seal Office were the popular
    choice, as these clerks had direct access to the king, the council and the chancellor. Of course, there was a fee to be paid for procuring these pardons, and these fees were one of the common ways for the king's clerks to earn extra money for their extra-

Wibs
    Wibs, thank you...this is helpful insight. It should have occurred to me that the coffers were involved -: I'm continuing to see if there might be records of these kinds of cases. My best bet may be the North Yorkshire Record Office. Hope I'm on the
    trail.

An excellent work on medieval pardons is 'The Royal Pardon: Access to Mercy in Fourteenth-Century England' by Helen Lacey, available through Boydell & Brewer. However, this was based on Lacey's PhD thesis, which is freely available at - https://etheses.
    whiterose.ac.uk/10964/1/423728.pdf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Girl57@21:1/5 to Wibs on Mon Apr 11 16:19:30 2022
    On Monday, April 11, 2022 at 12:46:00 PM UTC-4, Wibs wrote:
    And found this

Wibs
    trail.
    An excellent work on medieval pardons is 'The Royal Pardon: Access to Mercy in Fourteenth-Century England' by Helen Lacey, available through Boydell & Brewer. However, this was based on Lacey's PhD thesis, which is freely available at - https://etheses.
    whiterose.ac.uk/10964/1/423728.pdf
    Thank you, Wibs. I really appreciate and will report back if I can hunt anything down.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Girl57@21:1/5 to All on Mon Apr 11 16:28:49 2022
    On Monday, April 11, 2022 at 7:19:31 PM UTC-4, Girl57 wrote:
    On Monday, April 11, 2022 at 12:46:00 PM UTC-4, Wibs wrote:
    And found this

One of the indicted, Anth. Burgh, is identified in "Letters and Papers" notation as "of Esthawkeswell, York." Margery FitzRandolph's name is on the Visitation pedigree. And a man probably related to Margery -- an Anthony Burgh I've discovered
    was married to Cuthbert Langton's daughter, Bennet -- is mentioned, if same man, in the will of Christopher FitzRandolph the parson, who died in 1516...probably a coincidence, but the same year as the pardon. Would love to know about the murder case and
    A pardon was usually granted following a petition. The normal route was through a well-connected local person of some standing, or more usually through one of the king's clerks, a Chancery clerk or a clerk in the Privy Seal Office were the
    popular choice, as these clerks had direct access to the king, the council and the chancellor. Of course, there was a fee to be paid for procuring these pardons, and these fees were one of the common ways for the king's clerks to earn extra money for
    their extra-curricular activities, and for the king to replenish his coffers.

Wibs
    Wibs, thank you...this is helpful insight. It should have occurred to me that the coffers were involved -: I'm continuing to see if there might be records of these kinds of cases. My best bet may be the North Yorkshire Record Office. Hope I'm on
    the trail.
    An excellent work on medieval pardons is 'The Royal Pardon: Access to Mercy in Fourteenth-Century England' by Helen Lacey, available through Boydell & Brewer. However, this was based on Lacey's PhD thesis, which is freely available at - https://
    etheses.whiterose.ac.uk/10964/1/423728.pdf
    Thank you, Wibs. I really appreciate and will report back if I can hunt anything down.
    Wibs, just scanned the intro to Lacey's thesis, and already see how complex these issues are. Wow! Fascinating reading.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05